Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I've never heard someone explicitly say that a person should be denied all social protections if they did not vote for a democratic candidate, no. that's what stood out, and that attitude and some things said around it echo WAY too well with what the oldest man posted. i've heard plenty of people say things to the effect of "well if you don't vote for X I dunno what to tell you," or whatever

part of the conversation as well was all of these people proudly proclaiming that they vote against their interest (as pretty well-off landowners near or in retirement) when they vote for democrats, which in the context of the rest of the conversation feels a lot more like white man's burden

the whole thing was a trip. anyway. death to america. america will lose wwiii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Actually, it was the WWIII in our hearts that America lost all along!

It'll be pretty neat to survive this, you could become that weird old witch/warlock of some small hamlet that remembers BOTH the USSR and the USA.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I've never heard someone explicitly say that a person should be denied all social protections if they did not vote for a democratic candidate, no. that's what stood out, and that attitude and some things said around it echo WAY too well with what the oldest man posted. i've heard plenty of people say things to the effect of "well if you don't vote for X I dunno what to tell you," or whatever

part of the conversation as well was all of these people proudly proclaiming that they vote against their interest (as pretty well-off landowners near or in retirement) when they vote for democrats, which in the context of the rest of the conversation feels a lot more like white man's burden
There you have it! The liberal bourgeoisie is charitable out of self-interest; it gives nothing outright, but regards its gifts as a business matter, makes a bargain with the poor, saying: ”If I spend this much upon benevolent institutions, I thereby purchase the right not to be troubled any further, and you are bound thereby to stay in your dusky holes and not to irritate my tender nerves by exposing your misery. You shall despair as before, but you shall despair unseen, this I require, this I purchase with my subscription of twenty pounds for the infirmary!” It is infamous, this charity of a liberal bourgeois!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

There you have it! The liberal bourgeoisie is charitable out of self-interest; it gives nothing outright, but regards its gifts as a business matter, makes a bargain with the poor, saying: ”If I spend this much upon benevolent institutions, I thereby purchase the right not to be troubled any further, and you are bound thereby to stay in your dusky holes and not to irritate my tender nerves by exposing your misery. You shall despair as before, but you shall despair unseen, this I require, this I purchase with my subscription of twenty pounds for the infirmary!” It is infamous, this charity of a liberal bourgeois!

This is great, sincerely, thank you.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Halloween Jack posted:

it's crazy that when i think "it's not that bad yet" i think of engels and his endless tallying of the squalor of manchester

e: and that didn't even really lead to anything

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Jan 25, 2024

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the whole thing was a trip. anyway. death to america. america will lose wwiii.

when faced with a decision between growing their circle of compassion or shrinking it, democrats will always choose the latter
https://twitter.com/complex/status/1263848140140052489
it's the spiteful flailing of an imperial ruling class that can feel control slipping away and would rather commit atrocities than (god forbid) compromise, admit they're not what they once were, and risk someone laughing at their weakness. backing azov nazis in ukraine, arming zionist nazis in palestine, and bombing the houthis are all results of this approach. dying empires love doing this poo poo, even if it makes a dozen new enemies:

quote:

Despite all this upheaval, or perhaps even because of it, the countryside in many areas of the empire was actually prospering. The class of independent peasants was booming, their living standards were rising and the empire could rely on a solid base for its army's recruitment needs. Justinian then went and rather spoilt it all by raising taxes to an unbearable level. In 691 CE this led to 20,000 Slav soldiers defecting to the Arabs, and Armenia was lost as a result. As revenge for this disloyalty, the emperor picked out a specific target: Slav families in Bithynia. Thousands of men, women, and children were either butchered or thrown into the sea.

the cruelty is the point

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

hamas ftw posted:

when faced with a decision between growing their circle of compassion or shrinking it, democrats will always choose the latter
https://twitter.com/complex/status/1263848140140052489
it's the spiteful flailing of an imperial ruling class that can feel control slipping away and would rather commit atrocities than (god forbid) compromise, admit they're not what they once were, and risk someone laughing at their weakness. backing azov nazis in ukraine, arming zionist nazis in palestine, and bombing the houthis are all results of this approach. dying empires love doing this poo poo, even if it makes a dozen new enemies:

the cruelty is the point

Disagree, America hasn't like, adopted committing atrocities as a coping strategy for fading imperial power. It was built and is entirely composed of atrocities, from the land its on to the people who built it to the resources it stole elsewhere for them to use in the construction. Every street, every car, every skyscraper, every farm, everything - all of it is red and brown brick baked out of the blood and gore of America's many millions of victims. It's not "would rather commit atrocities" because there is nothing else. An empire built of twisted, screaming, brutalized flesh can be no other way.

The only difference lately is that now that the charnel house has begun to rot and the walls have started to cave in a bit, there's sunlight coming in through the roof

So like, what circle of compassion? Push comes to shove and the average person in this country looks at the victimized and the dispossessed and sees only different ways that they could be made into another gorey brick. Some just prefer it to be done with less screaming or with more.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

america, and american people, really are the "leopards wouldn't eat MY face" meme or whatever it is

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that's fair, it's more like the illusion of peace and prosperity is being abandoned, and even the polite fictions are being tossed aside. the british empire was always a bloodsoaked nightmare for both its colonial victims and the lower classes within it, but even the pretense of being anything else was abandoned as it rapidly deteriorated.

the dying british empire made israel, the dying american empire is making big israel

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

america, and american people, really are the "leopards wouldn't eat MY face" meme or whatever it is

sure everyone else is getting eaten but i'm built different

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
wtf is with all the doomerism? we're seeing real signs of the global capitalist empire receding and everyone's wailing "oh god, there is nigh but misery and woe ahead!" we had 400,000+ march on washington earlier this month to demand the end of the genocide and posters are unironically saying "americans are a uniquely evil and selfish people, there is no hope".

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

you'd have about as much luck getting chickens to work together and sacrifice for a common future as you would americans

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Kz67kea8Q&pp=ygUTY2hpY2tlbiBydW4gdHJhaWxlcg%3D%3D

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

rudecyrus posted:

wtf is with all the doomerism? we're seeing real signs of the global capitalist empire receding and everyone's wailing "oh god, there is nigh but misery and woe ahead!" we had 400,000+ march on washington earlier this month to demand the end of the genocide and posters are unironically saying "americans are a uniquely evil and selfish people, there is no hope".
i think we're more posting about what losing wwiii looks like for america internally

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

rudecyrus posted:

because the hundreds of thousands dead in ukraine and millions of people being starved to death in palestine are just the beginning of the american empire's death throes. is the genocide ending because those people marched? no. the imperial genocide machine is just gonna keep rolling until the wheels fall off completely

they're gonna be machine gunning those marchers long before they'll even consider giving in to their demands

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

rudecyrus posted:

capitalist realism

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

dont gently caress with the sacred chickens

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

i think we're more posting about what losing wwiii looks like for america internally

I have a Chinese surname, but my family is Korean. I fully expect to be sent to a camp or lynched in the street when the US gets the war it wants with China and takes serious losses and doesn't just cruise (missile) its way to victory in 2 months like it's used to. It'll be because the Russians Chinese infiltrated the government and stabbed America in the back

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

rudecyrus posted:

wtf is with all the doomerism? we're seeing real signs of the global capitalist empire receding and everyone's wailing "oh god, there is nigh but misery and woe ahead!"
I'm a citizen of the failing, dying empire

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

id rather die peacefully in my sleep like joe biden, not screaming and clawing at the locked windows like his constituents

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

america will go the way of the holy roman empire and shatter into a bajillion little pseudo states and corporate fiefdoms

or turn into a retarded version of the syrian civil war not sure which one would be funnier and more deserved

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Omg the newest NPR Taiwan propaganda is "China is stealing Taiwanese plants!!!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

rudecyrus posted:

it's not really doomerism, though. the capitalist system is starting to show very visible cracks as it's disintegrating, and that's probably going to lead to better things in the future. however, the forces of an empire are not going to silently go into the night

for many people around the globe things will improve after they go, but for a select few, things can, and very likely will get much, much worse before they get better. the closer to the core you live, the higher the chance the empire lashing out affects you personally. the chances that cops in places like NYC side with you over rich bill as he starts to strip the wiring out of "his" properties are really bad, but if you live in bumfuck illinois you'll probably only notice things from out of town getting very expensive for a few years/decades

unfortunately, 20 million people live in the wider NYC area, but only 13 people live in bumfuck

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

skooma512 posted:

I have a Chinese surname, but my family is Korean. I fully expect to be sent to a camp or lynched in the street when the US gets the war it wants with China and takes serious losses and doesn't just cruise (missile) its way to victory in 2 months like it's used to. It'll be because the Russians Chinese infiltrated the government and stabbed America in the back

:(:respek:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

but doctor, i'm in the dying beast!

rudecyrus posted:

and? did those 400k people accomplish anything? how did their actions change the world, materially?

there's two things that stick with me from the 2020 protests, walking back with a group of people, and one of them bragging about putting out a trash can fire with his gatorade. he was so loving proud that he stopped some trash from getting burned.

the second was seeing a little dude pull the mask off a guy who broke a window and try pushing him towards the cops while yelling that the big dude wasn't one of us. the next days that little dude, along with two assistants was giving lots of really bad speeches and leading the protests until people stopped showing up.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

rudecyrus posted:

I think Hamas is going to win and that's a very positive development. That's separate from looking at what happens when something more than going to a parade is asked of liberals' solidarity in this country, yeah I don't have any faith in that being a real thing. Two things can both be true.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ gas this loving thread

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i'm going to kick america's rear end

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Regarde Aduck posted:

Jesus Christ gas this loving thread

I’m sorry the gas was sold in 2018 and not due to be restocked until 2029

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The US straight up ran out of tear gas in 2020.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

hamas ftw posted:

because the hundreds of thousands dead in ukraine and millions of people being starved to death in palestine are just the beginning of the american empire's death throes. is the genocide ending because those people marched? no. the imperial genocide machine is just gonna keep rolling until the wheels fall off completely

they're gonna be machine gunning those marchers long before they'll even consider giving in to their demands

i'm under no illusion that protests will actually change anything or that conditions won't worsen considerably at home or there won't be mass death and misery as the empire crumbles -- history shows that's what happens. i don't look forward to it. but compared to how i felt 2 or 3 years ago when it seemed the american empire would somehow keep chugging along in perpetuity despite signs of decline, at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel (for the third world).

Halloween Jack posted:

yeah, so am i. the best we can do is prepare for what's coming in whatever way we can.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

The US straight up ran out of tear gas in 2020.

is that why you guys stopped

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

some of these posts really sound like the cspam posts a few months into covid where people were confidently asserting that food was going to run out and it would be The Road within the year. Can't remember the guy who wrote novella length posts about prepping for the end times who either got banned or left for another site.

The American empire is falling faster than most expected, but America can be driven out of its imperial holdings without it being instantly time to pick out your post apocalyptic shoulder-pads and gimp masks. I think historical metaphors for America are kinda dumb, but even if you accept Rome == America then it took Rome generations to fall even as it lost the frontiers and Rome actually had borders it had to defend.

The US ruling elite are dumb evil bastards, but they don't have to turn commie to do the bare minimum to keep the buildings from burning down around their heads (specifically their heads). Everything about UBI seemed centuries away and then they implemented a half rear end version during covid so things could simmer down a bit. I think the ruling elite have no interest in going out in a blaze of glory committed to their ideology so they'll make concessions or take deals as they have to. I definitely think the QoL for Americans is going to continue to drop over this century, but there's a lot of space between the USD being the global reserve currency and it being useless mattress stuffing.

I actually wonder if China would even want the US to turn into a chaotic wasteland. They are so cautious and long term minded they might even let up the pressure voluntarily if things got too bad. A US gone to pieces would be global destabilizing and would accelerate Chinese leadership, but there would be a tense chaotic transition period and perhaps China would prefer to continue the slow approach.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
America can lose all the nukes and carriers tomorrow and go back to be the remote corner of the world like 300 years ago, the country is still the largest food producer and top energy exporter of the world. The land just has a lot of rich resources. Frankly Americans can benefit from eatting less and be healthier.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

rudecyrus posted:

people are good by nature
Not all people and not all the time but enough to where you can describe people as that
capitalism is evil by nature that is what causes genocide and wars of aggression and pedophile elite and slavery and systemic racism, systemic sexism, institutionalized slavery or profitable murder

If you use anything that is sorted by an algorithm it is not showing you an unfiltered representation of people, inherently it's not

Everyone's perception of how people are has been distorted by a bunch of Western propaganda made by the Nazis that makes people look inherently evil and so people have a bunch of assumptions about human behavior that they think are natural human behaviors that are actually entirely because of capitalism they just don't know it because they've never known another world and do not understand how bad the one they have is and that it's not the people at all

the revolution is gonna happen If you think otherwise you're rejecting every relevant historical and sociological and economic signifier
We have been living in a bubble that cannot be maintained

just because it has slowly reached this point does not mean it will slowly collapse it will happen fast and no one who's supposed to be informing people of these things will see it coming, the whole thing is in an ideological blind spot the entire ruling class would have to relearn how they do everything and think about everything, they're lazy and think they don't have to because they were literally born into this they think that they will die with this
that's why it's going to happen

it's inevitable and the only question is where and when it starts

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

America can lose all the nukes and carriers tomorrow and go back to be the remote corner of the world like 300 years ago, the country is still the largest food producer and top energy exporter of the world. The land just has a lot of rich resources. Frankly Americans can benefit from eatting less and be healthier.
those resources are already owned by your betters and protected by their private military detachments lmao

like, i don't think america's gonna descend into some post-apoc hell society or anything, but poo poo is absolutely going to get worse and more expensive before it gets better, and the worse it gets the more police presence there will be

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Truga posted:

those resources are already owned by your betters and protected by their private military detachments lmao

like, i don't think america's gonna descend into some post-apoc hell society or anything, but poo poo is absolutely going to get worse and more expensive before it gets better, and the worse it gets the more police presence there will be

who's going to pay the cops

who will make the stuff they buy with the money they get paid

do you see the threads already starting to come loose in that plan

no one planned for this why would they they assumed that they deserve all the power because of who they are, they're not able to see the world in the way that would let them stop this the exact same way Hitler thought that someone would save him up till the last minute
because it's the same behaviors
being manifested by capital as an entity, because it is the hitler omega that all numeric hitlers descend from and will go the same direction marx was right its inevitable, too many contradictions

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FirstnameLastname posted:

who will make the stuff they buy with the money they get paid

do you see the threads already starting to come loose in that plan

no one planned for this why would they they assumed that they deserve all the power because of who they are, they're not able to see the world in the way that would let them stop this the exact same way Hitler thought that someone would save him up till the last minute
because it's the behaviors
being manifested by capital as an entity, because it is the hitler omega that all numeric hitlers descend from and will go the same direction marx was right its inevitable, too many contradictions

There’s always money for cops.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Both the police and military rely on a strong, centralized state.
The ruling class wants to break up the state for their own profit.
Eventually, that means that their own estates can't be maintained.

A latifundium isn't guaranteed by a deed, it's guaranteed by the state bearing the costs of its actual defence and maintaining social order that prevents the land being seized by the people working it.

Jan 26, 2024

FirstnameLastname posted:

who will make the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

skooma512 posted:

There’s always money for cops.

you can't have a police state without something supporting it

people backing the cops and the victims of the cops can't overlap , or the whole thing falls apart real fast

the ruling class is very afraid rn, tell any rich person the stuff that I'm saying here and you can see the color just fall out of their face and they'll prolly get upset but it's indisputable, No person could say that this is a stable state and no one has a path to it returning to being one without an underpants gnome step 2 and I think a total path to collapse is already pretty clear

remember that quote from lenin about decades and weeks

there's nothing that can get in the way of this more than to delay it, it's happening sooner or later and my guess is under a decade tops and probably within 5 years