Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Is there a good go-to app that will take a minute by minute sampling of your gps location and map it? I know workouts does exactly this, but I'm thinking more in a travel/tourism context.

I'm looking back to all my trips abroad and wishing I had a better way of remembering the little routes I took and side streets I visited, and unless it triggers a workout on my watch I don't really have a log of being there after the fact.

I know there's some built in iOS functionality to track significant locations but I don't think that's really exposed.

Phone might not be the best option here for battery life, but I guess until I hear otherwise that's kind of my plan for this year, so I want to see if there are any good options.

I used to use this:

https://esplor.io/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Is there a good go-to app that will take a minute by minute sampling of your gps location and map it? I know workouts does exactly this, but I'm thinking more in a travel/tourism context.

I'm looking back to all my trips abroad and wishing I had a better way of remembering the little routes I took and side streets I visited, and unless it triggers a workout on my watch I don't really have a log of being there after the fact.

I know there's some built in iOS functionality to track significant locations but I don't think that's really exposed.

Phone might not be the best option here for battery life, but I guess until I hear otherwise that's kind of my plan for this year, so I want to see if there are any good options.

If you are into selfhosting, you can do https://github.com/traccar/traccar

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apps for automatically tracking business mileage are good for this. Different problem but very similar solutions. I think I used MileIQ at one point years ago.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mileiq-mileage-tracker-log/id578830929

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Google Maps has a Timeline feature that tracks your location and saves your history. It's focused on locations Google knows about and how you traveled there, and while it usually gets both right, when you view your history it can sometimes prompt you to confirm the precise store/restaurant/etc you visited and how you got there (eg. if the store you visited was close to others, or if you lost signal going through a subway). I don't know that any other GPS tracking would be more precise, but I haven't tried any others. It was accurate enough during my time in Japan and New York though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

YouTube’s smart downloads function on my iPad is such a good idea that is so badly implemented it’s bewildering. I’m at my parents where the internet is abysmal, so having things download overnight or whatever is great because streaming just stops working at random, so thanks YouTube for giving me this wonderful spread of… stuff I’ve watched in the last week already. Like, you know I’ve watched this. Why with your 10 billion videos do you think I’d want to watch the exact same things again rather than well liked stuff from the same channel or things I haven’t seen that cover similar topics.

The great software company strikes again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YouTube's recommendation algorithm is such complete poo poo I'm not sure having it download stuff you haven't watched would be any better. You watch a single pop science or history video and every single suggestion for the next month is gonna be the most generic clickbaity garbage that hit the same keywords.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I found that the algo is really responsive to what you watch and desperate to veer off, but I found that I can usually micromanage it back onto a reasonable approximation of my interests by both using the "not interested" function, and deleting the (almost always obvious) offending algo input video from my history.

Sucks that it's kind of a part time job to curate the thing that's supposed to get to know me, but I'm not really surprised so it's just something I learned to live with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

xzzy posted:

YouTube's recommendation algorithm is such complete poo poo I'm not sure having it download stuff you haven't watched would be any better. You watch a single pop science or history video and every single suggestion for the next month is gonna be the most generic clickbaity garbage that hit the same keywords.

God help your soul if you accidentally click a family guy compilation video. Hope you like nothing but Seth Green for the next thousand years.

edit: Yes i know you can manually go and pull that out of your watch history. Still, it's hilarious how heavily they weight that poo poo. Watched nothing but computer part reviews and long form video essays for the last five years? We won't surface any of that poo poo, but holy crap you admit you know who Peter Griffin is? Enjoy a billion suggestions of Stewies sickest burns (BRIAN HATES THIS!)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Well the algorithm recommended this to me today out of nowhere so it can't be all bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLNNMFur5A

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Chin Strap posted:

Well the algorithm recommended this to me today out of nowhere so it can't be all bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLNNMFur5A

Piggy Smalls :swoon:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/tomwarren/status/1750579460527538234?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Alternative browser engines are coming in iOS 17.4 https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/25/24050478/apple-ios-17-4-browser-engines-eu

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol at anyone who cares about their browser engine anywhere in their life. it's 2024. good job eu, ya did it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

YouTube’s smart downloads function on my iPad is such a good idea that is so badly implemented it’s bewildering. I’m at my parents where the internet is abysmal, so having things download overnight or whatever is great because streaming just stops working at random, so thanks YouTube for giving me this wonderful spread of… stuff I’ve watched in the last week already. Like, you know I’ve watched this. Why with your 10 billion videos do you think I’d want to watch the exact same things again rather than well liked stuff from the same channel or things I haven’t seen that cover similar topics.

The great software company strikes again.

The number of times YouTube recommends a video I have absolutely watched from start to finish, logged in, is just absolutely baffling.

They seem to have no clue what the hell it is I watch. I truly do not understand it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Does this mean we might get addons with firefox and chrome now?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Does this mean we might get addons with firefox and chrome now?

I sure hope so, though apple may not want to allow users to run arbitrary code from the internet inside the app designed to run arbitrary code from the internet :jerkbag:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Clark Nova posted:

I sure hope so, though apple may not want to allow users to run arbitrary code from the internet inside the app designed to run arbitrary code from the internet :jerkbag:

well, there are scriptable plugins in JavaScript for other apps like Drafts (I made a bbcode syntax and command palette, could probably do a smiley chooser) as well as apps like scriptable and rubyist. But Apple is not famous for its consistent App Store policies.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

I wonder if we’ll get official Mac apps too?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

In the EU only.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I want our own browsers and app stores in the US.

Gotta wonder if they'll have some new exploits or something that take advantage of the EU requirements to allow sideloading.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can I pay to make my phone an EU phone?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

rufius posted:

The number of times YouTube recommends a video I have absolutely watched from start to finish, logged in, is just absolutely baffling.

They seem to have no clue what the hell it is I watch. I truly do not understand it.
Could be the huge number of kids watching a favourite video on loop for hours tips the algorithm into recommending this for everyone, or it could be that algorithmic recommendations are just dumb as poo poo and basic QoL stuff like this isn’t profit-maximising enough to look at. It’s probably a bit of both.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Arc, the beloved MacOS wunderkind web browser (it is actually good and it makes the internet way easier to use), just released their new iOS browser. It's very early, and missing a lot of stuff, but it's worth playing around with, and the company behind Arc are still full of boundless start-up energy where they iterate quickly.

The big thing is AI integrated search - put in a web search, and you have the option to either go to google, or Arc will search for you, and then GPT up a summary page that gives you the answer. When it works, it feels like you've taken a big sidestep around all of the horrible to navigate clickbait web (which is, I guess ironically, itself on the road to mostly being churned out by LLMS) and actually got the answer to your question.

I found myself agreeing with this Verge article, which suggests that this is probably the future of any kind of usable internet and the kind of thing that will probably end up replacing the web for most intents and purposes
https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/28/24053882/arc-search-browser-web-app-ios

Worth playing around with anyhow! I might even set it to my default browser and see how I get on. I suspect because it just came out, the AI bits seem to be struggling a bit in a way that they weren't earlier on today.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Grumbles posted:

Arc, the beloved MacOS wunderkind web browser (it is actually good and it makes the internet way easier to use), just released their new iOS browser. It's very early, and missing a lot of stuff, but it's worth playing around with, and the company behind Arc are still full of boundless start-up energy where they iterate quickly.

The big thing is AI integrated search - put in a web search, and you have the option to either go to google, or Arc will search for you, and then GPT up a summary page that gives you the answer. When it works, it feels like you've taken a big sidestep around all of the horrible to navigate clickbait web (which is, I guess ironically, itself on the road to mostly being churned out by LLMS) and actually got the answer to your question.

I found myself agreeing with this Verge article, which suggests that this is probably the future of any kind of usable internet and the kind of thing that will probably end up replacing the web for most intents and purposes
https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/28/24053882/arc-search-browser-web-app-ios

Worth playing around with anyhow! I might even set it to my default browser and see how I get on. I suspect because it just came out, the AI bits seem to be struggling a bit in a way that they weren't earlier on today.

I’ve been using perplexity.ai like this for like a year now and big recommend. Kagi goes a long way to restoring search functionality but it’s expensive, and perplexity and arc are currently free. So ‘ales sense!

The arc search app is very good, but I would rather point it at Kagi so it doesn’t pull in so much tangential bullshit

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there any sort of Dash like solution for the iPad out there? They apparently used to have a version but it got shelved a bit ago.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
For some reason push email previews from the gmail app have turned from actual previews to just a generic "you have a new message" text which is pretty drat useless. I dug around in the settings and can't find anything that controls this behavior. Anyone know how to fix it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reboot IME

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

withak posted:

Reboot IME

A reboot of the phone fixed this for me. Easy enough, just didn't think to try.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Losing my mind and hoping someone has ran into this before. My view history on my iPad install of youtube very infrequently is reflected on desktop youtube. It kills me because I'll be watching long form broadcasts of events and stuff and then it won't save my place. Opening the app again on the iPad doesn't even seem to reliably remember how much of something I've watched.

What should I try? I reinstalled and it didn't fix anything. I'm not watching in incognito mode and I'm definitely logged into the same google account.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wouldn’t imagine there is a whole lot you could do, sounds like a Google problem. Does it also happen when you use the browser to search stuff instead of the app?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

VelociBacon posted:

Losing my mind and hoping someone has ran into this before. My view history on my iPad install of youtube very infrequently is reflected on desktop youtube. It kills me because I'll be watching long form broadcasts of events and stuff and then it won't save my place. Opening the app again on the iPad doesn't even seem to reliably remember how much of something I've watched.

What should I try? I reinstalled and it didn't fix anything. I'm not watching in incognito mode and I'm definitely logged into the same google account.

I was having a similar problem and my ultimate solution was to just download long-form videos that I'll want to watch over a couple of sittings with yt-dlg and then throw them up on my Jellyfin server.

As a bonus, no ads.

But yeah, for all the data google hoovers up they're loving terrible at remembering where in a long video I was stopped, or even pointing me BACK to that long video. Can't count the number of times I was watching something, exited the app for a second to do something, and then it's just loving gone and I can't find it again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I always have to chuck long videos I'm not going to watch in one sitting in the Watch Later or other private playlist. Google's algorithm just assumes you don't care about a video if you don't house it in one sitting, even if it's 8 hours long.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YouTube made resume video a premium feature last year. At least, the good version that stores the exact second you last watched the video.

Not sure on the details of what non paying viewers get other than "it sucks and is unreliable"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

YouTube made resume video a premium feature last year. At least, the good version that stores the exact second you last watched the video.

Not sure on the details of what non paying viewers get other than "it sucks and is unreliable"

I have YouTube premium and my watch history still doesn’t work half the time, so I’m actually extra pissed off if that’s supposed to be one of the things I’m paying for.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

It doesn’t work. Because YouTube is trash at tracking what you watched and how much. Even in separate browser windows on the same computer.

Just be sad.

Source: me raging about this for multiple years now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe it’s an A/B thing (which I know they do) but mine has worked almost 100% of the time.

If I open the app on my iPad after watching something on my phone it’s in almost the exact correct position and my watch history is always correct.

I didn’t realize people had issues but that would be frustrating as hell if it didn’t work.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe it’s an A/B thing (which I know they do) but mine has worked almost 100% of the time.

If I open the app on my iPad after watching something on my phone it’s in almost the exact correct position and my watch history is always correct.

I didn’t realize people had issues but that would be frustrating as hell if it didn’t work.

Ya - it’s frustrating because it worked like… 4 years ago? Then I got hell banned to whatever lovely A/B thing breaks this (theoretically).

It hasn’t worked since midway through 2020 I think. Or maybe it never worked well - I just watched more YouTube starting in 2020.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

rufius posted:

Ya - it’s frustrating because it worked like… 4 years ago? Then I got hell banned to whatever lovely A/B thing breaks this (theoretically).

It hasn’t worked since midway through 2020 I think. Or maybe it never worked well - I just watched more YouTube starting in 2020.

Resume on other devices requires premium now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Does anyone else use OneNote on iOS and has it been loving up for you the last few days or is it just doing that for me? The cursor doesn't show up when it should and editing text is all hosed up. I don't know how else to say it. I'll try to enter text and it'll enter it all incorrectly, like it'll insert the text in between text I've already entered when I don't want it to and stuff like that.

I've tried closing it and re-opening the app and that doesn't seem to do anything. It seems to still work fine on my PC, but I need it to work fine on iOS too.

I copied all my notes over to Notes.app and I'll use that until it gets fixed, or maybe Notes.app will be my new permanent notes app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Well poo poo alright thank you guys for at least confirming this isn't in my head. Guess I'll take screenshots so I can remember where I left off.