Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Posting is usually a mistake

There you go. Brevity, wit, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Mat Cauthon posted:

The Tuttle/Childress clan being religious weirdos with enough clout to exploit American cultural rot and political idiosyncrasies at the state/local level (i.e. only the Governor can arrest sheriffs in Louisiana which allows them to run parishes as defacto fiefdoms, taking advantage of post-civil rights white flight from public education to set up private religious schools as holding pens for vulnerable children, etc) was way more effective and interesting than making them the tie-in to a faceless global corporation doing evil conspiracy theory stuff.

Especially if this season is going for the angle of some sort of virus or biological weapon as the a factor in the spooky events, might as well just ctrl-f "Tuttle Industries" with "Umbrella Corporation". Boring as hell.
I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion. It's not a faceless global "Umbrella Corporation" doing evil, It's the creepy child fuckin' and murderin' Tuttles behind it. And they've been expanding their reach since we were first introduced to them 30 years ago.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The guy did list off like a dozen unrelated industries they're involved in. He definitely made it sound more like they were comparable to something like Siemens or Johnson & Johnson rather than a weirdo Louisiana cult that's grown into a regional business in the last few decades.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Finished s2 the other night and I wanna see Burris show back up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I hope the tuttles are a reference and not The Thing this season

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I AM GRANDO posted:

Posting is usually a mistake unless you’re promoting something. It doesn’t usually reflect well on public figures to complain about what other people are doing. Compare something like those Instagram posts to the usual anodyne “I wasn’t involved in this season but I wish them well and I’m glad if you’re enjoying it” that a corpo pr charm school would teach you to write. There’s nothing good that can come from saying you think hbo is stupid. 1) it’s obviously true and everyone already knows it and 2) now the actor he says says he likes and respects is put in the position of having to respond to internet weirdos, or at least of having had public perception of him altered by that post. Although this last one is complicated by hbo teasing his return, which obviously won’t happen but now is generating that kind of dumb attention.

Wouldn’t you rather be thought of as gracious rather than petty or resentful? They’re not going to hire you to write more Blade movies if they know you disparage product.

Yeah the #1 rule in show business is to love everything. It doesn't matter if you're right or not, just nothing good usually comes from being critical as a public facing figure. You either galvanize a side that already agrees with you or you just come off as a whiny complainer to those who don't. I get a lot more brand deals streaming when I praise everything coming across my email than if I give my honest opinion on a video game.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Doltos posted:

Yeah the #1 rule in show business is to love everything. It doesn't matter if you're right or not, just nothing good usually comes from being critical as a public facing figure. You either galvanize a side that already agrees with you or you just come off as a whiny complainer to those who don't. I get a lot more brand deals streaming when I praise everything coming across my email than if I give my honest opinion on a video game.

I’m sorry but this sucks rear end.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The_Rob posted:

It does but the thousand dollar checks for playing a video game for 2 hours certainly don't

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Doltos posted:

It does but the thousand dollar checks for playing a video game for 2 hours certainly don't

🤮🤮🤮

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The_Rob posted:

:capitalism:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If it makes you feel better I make less than a McDonalds employee yearly. It's just the game you have to play if you want to work with people or be offered chances.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's not just companies that demand that.

One of my favorite TV podcasts is these two guys that created a podcasting company called Bald Move. Their game of thrones podcast for some reason or another became one of the most popular GoT podcasts out there. And then in season 8 they, like much of everyone else, were very critical of the show. And so they were review bombed on apple pods, and are now super duper careful about saying anything remotely negative about any shows. Some manchildren take it very personally if someone else does not like their favorite piece of media.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

joepinetree posted:

It's not just companies that demand that.

One of my favorite TV podcasts is these two guys that created a podcasting company called Bald Move. Their game of thrones podcast for some reason or another became one of the most popular GoT podcasts out there. And then in season 8 they, like much of everyone else, were very critical of the show. And so they were review bombed on apple pods, and are now super duper careful about saying anything remotely negative about any shows. Some manchildren take it very personally if someone else does not like their favorite piece of media.

I love Bald Move and getting to listen to their coverage of this season is one of the main reasons I’m watching. I think they also got screwed out of getting screener episodes because of this.

There was definitely a notable shift in the tone of their episodes around this time too, which wasn’t for the best imo. Like for instance, TWD is actually good now …

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
To be fair Pizzaloto pretty much blacklisted himself when he tossed more talented directors for the third season in a row. From all accounts he is probably too much of a micromanager to be a showrunner in T.V.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The consolation prize of Tuttle International (other than Tuttle being the surname of two of the least devious people I know) is that it shows they've been operating this whole time. It's not the lame thing where the bad guys get taken out and come back for revenge a decade or more later.

Haven't they? Well no. I stand by my interpretation that they never got into trouble at the end of SE01. I don't know why all the summaries and reviews claimed that 'The Tuttles are not arrested but lose their high places in society'. How do you get that from 'The FBI and the Department of Justice strongly disclaim any allegations that US Senator Tuttle had any relation to the suspect'. In a more light-hearted show this could be meant to imply the wheels are rolling. Not here.

However, if they retcon it so that the Tuttles were behind everything in SE02 and SE03 (like latest Bond films being like 'You know X and Y? I was behind them. And I was the guy behind the guy behind Z too!) I'm tuning right out. It makes the world feel much smaller.

ghouldaddy07 posted:

To be fair Pizzaloto pretty much blacklisted himself when he tossed more talented directors for the third season in a row. From all accounts he is probably too much of a micromanager to be a showrunner in T.V.

That's on Wikipedia iirc. From an interview where someone asks him if he sees himself more as a collaborator than a boss given the talent under him, and he says something like the fewer cooks in the kitchen the better the dish and if I have a choice I always do things to follow my vision, input from others detracts from it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I actually like this season. Despite all its faults it's really entertaining.

I found it really suspicious that a company would spend so much money and effort to recover a totally unknown microorganism. There must be some kind of backstory to this. Maybe ancient natives had contact with the bacteria and documented its properties. That camper scientist looks like he might have been a Tuttle abuse victim, so maybe he got into cults up north and discovered these stories and got the funding rolling for a scientific recovery project.

Also, the obligatory ranking:

- S1 was lightning in a bottle. Absolutely fantastic.

- S2 was okayish, but was just "too much". Too much in every way. Too cringe. They needed to dial down from 11.

- I remember almost nothing from S3. I'm 100% sure I saw it(the protagonist has dementia and there were some child murders). But that's pretty much it. Amazingly bland and forgettable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

That's on Wikipedia iirc. From an interview where someone asks him if he sees himself more as a collaborator than a boss given the talent under him, and he says something like the fewer cooks in the kitchen the better the dish and if I have a choice I always do things to follow my vision, input from others detracts from it.

He must be having a great job churning out scripts for the marvel assembly line. Also kind of ironic that the best thing he ever made (because other people made it better than the writing is on the face of it) is being thoroughly marvelized into a franchise loaf to goose engagement.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

- I remember almost nothing from S3. I'm 100% sure I saw it(the protagonist has dementia and there were some child murders). But that's pretty much it. Amazingly bland and forgettable.

What a waste of David Milch. I didn't detect much of him throughout the season at all.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

There was a dead child at the centre of the SE03 story but it wasn't a murder. Not sure why I spoiler-tagged that but I guess it is a reveal.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
not remembering season 3? alzheimers is truly a bane

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cranappleberry posted:

not remembering season 3? alzheimers is truly a bane
Lol

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

I stand by my interpretation that they never got into trouble at the end of SE01. I don't know why all the summaries and reviews claimed that 'The Tuttles are not arrested but lose their high places in society'. How do you get that from 'The FBI and the Department of Justice strongly disclaim any allegations that US Senator Tuttle had any relation to the suspect'. In a more light-hearted show this could be meant to imply the wheels are rolling. Not here.

I mean, the Tuttles getting away completely free is basically just text, not even subtext. It’s just that everyone in the online “review/recapped/ENDING EXPLAINED!” sphere have absolutely no media literacy or analytical skills and are writing for people who are the same.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Haven't watched it in forever, but isn't a theme of season one that they fail completely to arrest the bulk of the bad guys and by the time they solve the case they're all pretty much dead save the one member they do catch?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

GABA ghoul posted:

S3 needed to lean more into the Atlanta child murders as an influence or reference but they pulled their punches on it for unclear reasons. Maybe they thought it would be too predictable, IDK.

Ali was good in it and so was Dorff. Lots of solid performances and the temporal jump framing worked well but plot wise it just didn't really have a hook.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Haven't watched it in forever, but isn't a theme of season one that they fail completely to arrest the bulk of the bad guys and by the time they solve the case they're all pretty much dead save the one member they do catch?

Not dead but yeah
Marty shot the guy in the head so the trail stopped cold and when rust figured out they hosed up he got fired years later

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mat Cauthon posted:

S3 needed to lean more into the Atlanta child murders as an influence or reference but they pulled their punches on it for unclear reasons. Maybe they thought it would be too predictable, IDK.

Ali was good in it and so was Dorff. Lots of solid performances and the temporal jump framing worked well but plot wise it just didn't really have a hook.
I thought the ending was perfect honestly.
Would only be better if it was full momento and she recognized him and actually he solves this case regularly and everyone but him knows it and is in on it but let's him have his happy ending every few months

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 26, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The bad guys are also generational victims of a great extended family of child rapists and murderers. The ones still at large are mostly the huge extended family who have taken up work in law enforcement and state government but had also had no need to do their killing business in remote rural Louisiana any longer. Rust saying "we were never going to catch them all" is a acknowledgement that there are just so many of them and they are so ingrained in positions of authority that it was never going to be possible for a pair of ex cops anyway.

The tuttles are more epstein these days and less yellow king.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It would have been interesting to see more 'civilians' easily bribed/duped by the cult, or just generally jaded by life so as to not care.

We have Marty asking the hobby shop owner in the nearby city why he special ordered primate mummification materials for an anonymous buyer in a town where child murders were taking place. The owner angrily says that the buyer paid a 500% tip to deliver and leave them out in the middle of nowhere, and to leave his store! Afterwards, he files a complaint with the department saying Hart was harassing him. And also that Marty broke his door (which was already broken) because you might as well try right?

Then they question a reporter from a small paper when they learn he was pressured to leave out the part about green paint. The reporter yells that government thugs like Hart and Cole should know about what not questioning orders means, but clearly wouldn't know having student loans to pay like he does feels like.

Finally, a woman who may have seen something tells them she didn't say anything because she hates cops ever since local racists burned down her store with her inside, leaving her with scars to this day, and the police did nothing. You, the audience, is on her side until Rustin says 'That girl was somebody's daughter' and the women just shrugs and says 'Not my daughter.'

We did get Masareti cop. But he got a cushy job and, well, a Maserati out of the deal. I'm talking much smaller stakes. Although *chef's kiss* for him being horrified at being forced to learn what he likely always suspected, but coming out of it angry at Hart and Cole rather than anyone else, because they forced him to watch the tape.

I did re-watch recently but right now it's slipping my mind. Who was it that died under suspicious circumstances the new detectives thought Rustin may have killed, but Cole later clarifies her burgled but did not kill?

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

It would have been interesting to see more 'civilians' easily bribed/duped by the cult, or just generally jaded by life so as to not care.

We have Marty asking the hobby shop owner in the nearby city why he special ordered primate mummification materials for an anonymous buyer in a town where child murders were taking place. The owner angrily says that the buyer paid a 500% tip to deliver and leave them out in the middle of nowhere, and to leave his store! Afterwards, he files a complaint with the department saying Hart was harassing him. And also that Marty broke his door (which was already broken) because you might as well try right?

Then they question a reporter from a small paper when they learn he was pressured to leave out the part about green paint. The reporter yells that government thugs like Hart and Cole should know about what not questioning orders means, but clearly wouldn't know having student loans to pay like he does feels like.

Finally, a woman who may have seen something tells them she didn't say anything because she hates cops ever since local racists burned down her store with her inside, leaving her with scars to this day, and the police did nothing. You, the audience, is on her side until Rustin says 'That girl was somebody's daughter' and the women just shrugs and says 'Not my daughter.'

We did get Masareti cop. But he got a cushy job and, well, a Maserati out of the deal. I'm talking much smaller stakes. Although *chef's kiss* for him being horrified at being forced to learn what he likely always suspected, but coming out of it angry at Hart and Cole rather than anyone else, because they forced him to watch the tape.

I did re-watch recently but right now it's slipping my mind. Who was it that died under suspicious circumstances the new detectives thought Rustin may have killed, but Cole later clarifies her burgled but did not kill?

The Tuttle that shook Marty and Rust's hands that Rust later interviewed. He overdosed on his medication and the other cops suspected Rust may have done it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The big cult is defunct by 2015 or whenever the last episodes take place, with all their procurement and front orgs no longer operating. The participants who are still alive or in power use their influence to cover up the killings the younger generation abused by the cult is carrying out, one purpose of which seems to be to call attention to or expose the cult activities of the older generation. But yes, they all got away with it and mostly retired or died comfortably after a life of unrestricted murder and rape.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The light is winning, assholes

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

ghouldaddy07 posted:

The Tuttle that shook Marty and Rust's hands that Rust later interviewed. He overdosed on his medication and the other cops suspected Rust may have done it.

Thanks!

Another thing that is slipping my mind: was there something like Hart and/or Marty goes to interview a Tuttle and everyone is nice and polite to each other, including said Tuttle who shows no sign of being inconvenienced and in fact is happy to help... but then they get back to the station and are told that the mayor/rector/whatever Tuttle says Hart/Marty were harassing him?

Or did I dream this up?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

It was a conversation between Rust and the Tuttle preacher. It seemed friendly on the surface, but there was plenty of hostile subtext and body language.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ghouldaddy07 posted:

It was heavily implied he offed himself or was killed because the cp tape was stolen.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

The light is winning, assholes

hell yes

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I really want to rewatch season 1 before this season ends but I can’t until I finish Fargo (1 ep into season 4) and I don’t think I’m gonna make it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I really want to rewatch season 1 before this season ends but I can’t until I finish Fargo (1 ep into season 4) and I don’t think I’m gonna make it.

insane move to watch the worst season of fargo (4) and true detective (4) at the same time lol

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t want to but I figure I should before I start 5.

It was interesting watching 3 at the same time since the two lead police officers are women and it’s Christmas time but that’s about where the similarities end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I never finished Fargo 4 but am enjoying 5 well enough. 1 and 2 are still peak so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t want to but I figure I should before I start 5.

It was interesting watching 3 at the same time since the two lead police officers are women and it’s Christmas time but that’s about where the similarities end.
There is zero, and I mean zero, connection between Fargo season 4 and 5. Just skip 4 if you're having that much trouble with episode 1.