Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Just pre-ordered that deluxe Green Room 4K from Second Sight, totally hyped. I love that loving movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah preordered the other day. High time I upgraded the average Blu-ray I've got.

Also my copy of Michael Mann's Miami Vice with the DC arrived earlier today.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anything MGM like Tank Girl will likely get reissued sooner than later. I wouldn't worry about waiting too long for anything they or Universal own.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

david_a posted:

What a world where seemingly all 80s/90s dreck gets a fancy release

I feel like if you went back in time to the 90s and told people “yeah Masters of the Universe and loving Tank Girl will get special edition releases for like $50” people would have thrown you in a mental asylum

Then again, in the early 2000s you could UHF on dvd packed to the gills with bonus features for ten bucks.

mariusz
Aug 13, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Also my copy of Michael Mann's Miami Vice with the DC arrived earlier today.

i assume you mean the theatrical cut, the director’s cut is not really notable as it was the only version available until the newest releases

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Egbert Souse posted:

Anything MGM like Tank Girl will likely get reissued sooner than later. I wouldn't worry about waiting too long for anything they or Universal own.

Any rumblings on Bottoms getting a physical at all?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I don’t know if it’s just me, but I got burnout on DVD extras 10 years ago for some reason. Before I would watch all the documentaries and interviews and watch the whole movie over again with the commentary but now I’m just one and done, just gimme the picture quality

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I will watch bonus features before the main feature if I've seen the movie/TV show already. I know I made the mistake of watching bonus features for Spirited Away before having seen it, and boy was I tired of both the Japanese and English cast by then. I watched it in French!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
For me it depends on the movie. For niche stuff I’m particularly in to (horror/whatever), I’ll usually watch the special features after watching the film. Pretty rare that I dig back in to them after that, but I do rewatch the films themselves relatively often.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I’ll get to extras usually on a rewatch or if I’m researching for a job.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I need to get back to being a big Extras watcher. They're a selling point but I've definitely fallen off of how I used to love them as a kid. I thoroughly enjoyed going through the Zachariah and Napoleon Dynamite commentaries recently. Zachariah's especially gave me an all new appreciation for a movie I already liked.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I… might actually buy that Lost in Space blu-ray. It’s not great but I definitely watched it often when I was younger because it came packed in with basically every single new dvd player anyone in my family bought for years.

It also has that extremely late 90s sci-fi production design where everything is smooth and blue-grey and looks like a Rio600 mp3 player.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mariusz posted:

i assume you mean the theatrical cut, the director’s cut is not really notable as it was the only version available until the newest releases

That's not the case in the Region B territories, where it was mostly the theatrical cut available.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Huh, apparently Lost in Space already had a Blu-ray from 2010 and actually has quite a lot of extras - two commentaries, deleted scenes, two featurettes, a Q&A, music video, and trailer.. Weird choice to license if they're not doing 4K.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got the Amadeus Blu-ray? Does it contain the theatrical cut? I can’t tell from the Amazon description

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got the Amadeus Blu-ray? Does it contain the theatrical cut? I can’t tell from the Amazon description

Theatrical cut is still only on DVD. All Blu-rays have been the director's cut.

There is a 4K UHD edition in the works either from Criterion or Warner that should be released this year, with both theatrical and director's cuts in 4K.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok guess I’ll hold out then thanks

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/klstudioclassic/status/1750186710867308582?s=46

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

What Egbert said and also it looks pretty terrible. It's one of those early Warner releases that was filtered to hell and badly compressed on top.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Sure, Tank Girl and Masters of the Universe aren't great movies (though Tank Girl does have the bonus of at least being somewhat interesting aesthetically), but the dreck being released means sometimes my dreck gets a cool release, like Super Mario Bros. 1993. And if Final Fantasy Advent Children can get a 4K UHD, so can Tekken Blood Vengeance, surely!

I'm glad you mentioned that Super Mario Bros. 1993 was out, I was just looking for that a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything physical to buy!

Also will definitely be grabbing The Faculty and Tank Girl, and probably Lost in Space.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

One of those movies I finally watched about 12 years ago when I first had Netflix, but couldn't tell you a thing about what happened.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steen71 posted:

What Egbert said and also it looks pretty terrible. It's one of those early Warner releases that was filtered to hell and badly compressed on top.

It's watchable, just the result of using the 2003 HD master done for the special edition DVD and from when Warner's encodes were still kind of mediocre.

What's interesting is that the 1997 DVD is actually from an HD master that was done for the 1995 Pioneer laserdisc. I've been doing 720p upscales of my DVD collection for my media server and it doesn't look too bad:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/Eurekavideo/status/1750534986703196214?s=20

Interesting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://x.com/Eurekavideo/status/1750534317439087056?s=20

https://x.com/Eurekavideo/status/1750553759778828548?s=20

Paul Leni's silents are a lot of fun and I thought that I had read that this only survived in 16mm, so MoMA restoring from the original camera negative should allow for an outstanding restoration.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Wow that's pretty cool.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that kicks rear end.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Eureka is also putting out the China O'Brien movies on 4k in April. So is Vinegar Syndrome later in the year, so you can wait if you prefer VS.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

grabbed Black Mask (UK edition since it was cheaper). Very curious what a longer cut does for this one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Has anyone bothered making their own edits of films for their own enjoyment? I’ve been toying with this idea because often times in extended editions there are some scenes that improve the movie and some that drag, and I’d like to see a version with just the additional scenes I liked

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Has anyone bothered making their own edits of films for their own enjoyment? I’ve been toying with this idea because often times in extended editions there are some scenes that improve the movie and some that drag, and I’d like to see a version with just the additional scenes I liked

I once made my own cut of the Jankel & Morton edition of Super Mario Bros. (1993) to remove one line in one of the extra scenes because it makes the later "Mario Mario" scene less funny and to restore the theatrical "Goodbye dinosaurs!" monologue and scene in the opening because I liked it more, and it was that version I showed to friends. It was a fun experiment, and I'd love to do that more. I've considered rescoring silent films but never got around to it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've always wanted to, but the thing that always kills my interest is the audio editing. If someone provided me with ripped 5.1 audio tracks so I could have some degree of control over the audio I'd be all about it. But I'm not doing that poo poo myself.

e: I did have fun overlaying the color data from Ted Turner's colorized King Kong on top of the Blu-ray a few years ago. That felt pleasantly perverse. Too much work to do more than a few scenes, though, since the framing of the footage doesn't fully line up.

I think more fan edits should be sick poo poo like that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 25, 2024

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I made an “Animal Friendly” episode of Chernobyl. My wife refused to watch the series knowing that one episode was 50% animal murder, but the show was too good to let her not watch it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Two ideas I've had for a while is making a B&W version of The Shining and turn Avatar into a silent film with intertitles and color tinting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I should actually make the B&W edit of Minority Report that I've been wanting for years. Instead I've just been turning the color setting on my TV to 0. Maybe it's time to do it right.

Shame I can't decrease the bloom, though. Maybe some horrific AI plugin will come out that can do that in the next few years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay what if I made a thread for making your own edits, where we could share ideas for edits and give each other feedback

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

citizen kane chronological edit

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1750632597175099720?s=46

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

surely this means Brain Damage won't be too far off....

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Okay what if I made a thread for making your own edits, where we could share ideas for edits and give each other feedback

This would be very fun, though I'm afraid the discourse around fan edits is a bit toxic because the goal of so many is to "fix" a film.

Plus, the last fan edit thread I can remember is The Thief and the Cobbler: The Recobbled Cut. I followed the fallout of that drama across three different communities.

Not to say don't go for it, though. I will definitely post in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

This would be very fun, though I'm afraid the discourse around fan edits is a bit toxic because the goal of so many is to "fix" a film.

Plus, the last fan edit thread I can remember is The Thief and the Cobbler: The Recobbled Cut. I followed the fallout of that drama across three different communities.

Not to say don't go for it, though. I will definitely post in it.

I think fan edits should either be reconstructions or something meant to just be a fun experiment. Another I'd find interesting would be It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World cut down to 90 minutes plus credits (general release cut is 2 1/2 hours and the uncut version Criterion put out is over three). But once you get into the hubris of trying to "improve" a film rather than just treating it like an editing exercise...

One reason why I think "experimental" edits are fine is that many filmmakers actually would do this. D.W. Griffith reworked Intolerance into a pair of much shorter cutdowns of individual stories. Or how Ingmar Bergman created the three hour theatrical cut of Fanny and Alexander, while also putting together a five hour miniseries version.

One edit I've wanted to see is the fan edit I think Arrow or Shout put out of DePalma's Raising Cain that reworked the film closer to its original edit