Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Random imgur video of a two models wearing traditional clothes in a modern street and they look amazing

https://i.imgur.com/QWlRJ8t.mp4

I'm entertained by how half the faces seem to be a 'oh cool' reaction and the other half are 'who the gently caress do you think you are'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
youre telling me uggs are traditional footwear somewhere that's ridiculous

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nationalism makes an imagined community. "traditional" clothing is frankly more often than not made during this imaginary community creation, and therefore most traditional clothing was created during the flowering of nationalism for whatever community, so always more like the 1840s than the 1340s, always during the first period of complete mass education. the first period of complete mass education in china is now

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
I don't need to imagine that this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSA7WJSqo9E loving slaps. Traditional clothing might not be what our ancestors really wore, but it's traditional and fun now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
purpose like, 2 of nationalism is to gather enough men for war, so that could turn into a problem real quick. consider the frenchies:

the frence levee en masse posted:

Henceforth, until the enemies have been driven from the territory of the Republic, all the French are in permanent requisition for army service. The young men shall go to battle; the married men shall forge arms in the hospitals; the children shall turn old linen to lint; the old men shall repair to the public places, to stimulate the courage of the warriors and preach the unity of the Republic and the hatred of kings.

which meant that despite their troops after the french revolution being outmatched in quality by about 2:1 trades against the royalists, they outnumbered the royalists 6:1 so defending the revolution worked great. and a few decades after that napoleon used those troops to conquer most of europe. so it works great for this purpose, but, you know, war sucks balls

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 25, 2024

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

there's never been a problem with nationalism or war in germany and austria

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

At a wedding in india me and our sizeable group of foreigners all made efforts to get appropriate saris, kurtas and generally traditional outfits.

Turned out that like 80% of dudes were wearing western style suits, and we were the outliers. People loved it tho and it's still completely normal to wear indian formal stuff, but I was surprised how ubiquitous western formal wear has become. The indian stuff looks badass, too.

Can look badass but the reason 80% of those dudes were wearing suit is probably that if you're a 40 year old guy with a bit of a gut, it's hard to get a kurta that doesn't accentuate that poo poo, and most sherwanis are somehow even less comfortable than a western suit.

My wedding sherwani looks amazing; it also weighs like 15 pounds and is actually two separate coats, both made of thick material. I've got other less fancy ones in the closet, but half the time I'll just wear a suit to a wedding anyway. I've got a bunch of kurtas, but they accentuate my gut and also they're super scratchy, so they stay packed away except at Diwali.

But yeah when you get one that fits right and is actually made well it looks extremely loving good, provided you're assiduous at mopping the sweat off your face and the collar hasn't rubbed your neck too raw yet. Word of warning, if you lift or just otherwise have a big build, you need to be extremely clear to the tailor that yes, your calves and thighs really are that big around, make the goddamn pajama legs wide enough -- and ask for an elastic waist, because the drawstring ones are loving awful. I have one pair of pajama pants that I can actually wear, otherwise it's just dress pants.

If you want easy Indian style, just get a "Nehru vest" and wear it over a dress shirt with some nice pants. Leave the top button of your shirt undone so the shirt collar lays flatter and doesn't peek up under the vest collar. It's an Indian look that could also fit in basically anywhere, and you don't have to wear a tie.

Anyway, although it's not always comfortable, Indian people really do dig when you put out the effort and dress traditional for an event, so it's cool that you did it. I think because it's still common among Indians, it doesn't seem as odd as say a Westerner putting on traditional Chinese clothes would.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Soiled Loincloth Fascist.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

when would you even wear traditional chinese clothing outside of getting hitched? even then it’s usually just the tea ceremony. new years, sort of; and, the lantern festival, sort of? young people seem to be kind of into it, but as far as i know that’s just an internet clout thing. like doing a little dance on video at every single landmark you visit

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Cactus Ghost posted:

also idk if this is the case with those particular clothes but in some cases "traditional clothing" is not only beloved by fascists, but made up by them too with only the most tenuous connection to anything ever actually worn by anyone

So much of the hanfu (a neologism for Chinese traditional clothes) revival stuff is fictional and only loosely based on actual traditional garb. Also looking at it from the Korean perspective Chinese people into hanfu stuff are some of the most chauvanistic and condescending motherfuckers out there while also being hilariously wrong. Would be more hilarious if there weren't so many of them anyway.

Those models look like they're wearing Mongol dress though right? So I'm less inclined to judge.

Wrt imagined traditional clothing and nationalism though, in the Chinese case it's kind of funny because it happened once in the past too -- under the Mongol Yuan, the Chinese nobility's fashion got heavily Mongolified/internationalized and by the end of the dynasty stopped looking traditionally Chinese. A later Ming emperor decided he didn't like this and wanted to re-sinify things like attire; except, whatever "pure" form that was had long passed living memory, and so the nativist changes weren't actually so traditional at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

when would you even wear traditional chinese clothing outside of getting hitched?

For a video that people can post on ticktock and somethingawful.com

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Visiting Hong Kong this weekend.

I take a lot of things I've said about Shanghai.

Hong Kong expats make Shanghai expats look like Marxists.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Okuteru posted:

Visiting Hong Kong this weekend.

I take a lot of things I've said about Shanghai.

Hong Kong expats make Shanghai expats look like Marxists.

:lmao:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

youre telling me uggs are traditional footwear somewhere that's ridiculous

They're traditional Australian footwear, yeah.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Wearing my UGG thongs moite

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I find it never-endingly amusing that this is basically the US and Vietnam now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I find it never-endingly amusing that this is basically the US and Vietnam now

american foreign policy has lots of the son goku imperial policy in it. "I beat you, therefore we're friends". works great in germany, japan, phillippines, the balkans minus serbia, not so good in the middle east, north korea, or cuba.

this somehow even extends to instances when the americans got their rear end kicked.

(i stole this from b. devereaux's dealio

https://acoup.blog/2021/06/25/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-ii-citizens-and-allies/)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 25, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ronya posted:

As is elaborate clothing on men of any kind, but hey, you're not wearing your traditional culture of breeches and a waistcoat either

Maybe you aren't.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

nations should be able to work past their differences and disagreements, it’s just real weird seeing the us make an effort

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

In Vietnam's case I think it's all about realpolitik, they see China as a much greater threat and the eventual possibility of military cooperation with the US is a big lever. Vietnam's been very good about playing both sides.

I know some years ago there was talk about the US taking over Russia's naval base in vietnam and China would have big time hurt national feelings over that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Vietnam has a pretty long-standing beef with China, as I understand. Plus the more acute current one over the EEZ and fishing and what not.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
only on its third millennium, that's no time at all

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Vietnam has a pretty long-standing beef with China, as I understand. Plus the more acute current one over the EEZ and fishing and what not.

Maybe Vietnam should build some islands 2000 miles from their coast and claim everything inbetween.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If you want me to wear national dress, then the clothing industry should be nationalized and attire sent to my address for free.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Apparently Chinese SFF fans are absolutely furious at the Chengdu organizers right now, who have been silent since the controversy broke.

Here’s one example post on Weibo

And someone’s quick and dirty translation

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What are those nerds up in arms about?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A big scandal from last year’s Hugo awards, which were hosted in Chengdu. A lot of books, especially stuff by authors of Chinese descent, were disqualified with no reason given. It looks like the hosts did it for fear of CCP censors

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Random imgur video of a two models wearing traditional clothes in a modern street and they look amazing

https://i.imgur.com/QWlRJ8t.mp4

Where and when are those clothes from exactly? I don't really recognize them offhand and something about the style suggests it might be steppe-based somehow but that's just guessing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

McGavin posted:

What are those nerds up in arms about?

https://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/740168463776169984/fascinating-it-made-me-angrier-to-see-that-babel

here's a brief

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

bob dobbs is dead posted:

american foreign policy has lots of the son goku imperial policy in it. "I beat you, therefore we're friends". works great in germany, japan, phillippines, the balkans minus serbia, not so good in the middle east, north korea, or cuba.

this somehow even extends to instances when the americans got their rear end kicked.

(i stole this from b. devereaux's dealio

https://acoup.blog/2021/06/25/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-ii-citizens-and-allies/)

lol gently caress no the US doesn't do goku imperialism, if we did we'd have an open border with mexico and the path to citizenship for our latin american imperial subjects would be "pay taxes in the US for 3 years and you're good"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's just 40 million mexican-americans instead

the roman's thing didn't extend to citizenship until the social war, but the ancient mediterranean idea of citizenship isn't exactly modern nation-states' idea of citizenship anyways

like, the subject of this thread is china, which has on the order of less than 2000 naturalized citizens. so there's more naturalized citzens on my block in san francisco and the blocks in a four radius distance from me, about, than in the entire fuckin people's republic of china

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 26, 2024

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Klyith posted:

goku imperialism

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
stressing the word goku

stressing the word imperialism

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
u fool these aren’t even my final borders

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
read that guy's essay, he's good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He thinks Vicky 3 is a good game and thus his opinions are unfortunately entirely suspect.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

What does the scouter say about his power level?

It's over nine dashes!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Let me know if I've got this right. The US is Goku, Britain is Master Roshi, Canada is Krillin, Germany is Piccolo, Australia is Tien, New Zealand is Chiaotzu, and France is Yamcha?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Germany is Vegeta and France is Piccolo, Italy is obviously Lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cugel the Clever posted:

Let me know if I've got this right. The US is Goku, Britain is Master Roshi, Canada is Krillin, Germany is Piccolo, Australia is Tien, New Zealand is Chiaotzu, and France is Yamcha?
you idiot, he said son goku imperialism so the us is gohan