Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You don’t get TV edits of movies anymore, maybe we need to start making our own…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

feedmyleg posted:

This would be very fun, though I'm afraid the discourse around fan edits is a bit toxic because the goal of so many is to "fix" a film.

I think it doesn't have to get toxic as long as everyone keeps in mind that it's one possible "spin" on the story. One fan edit I'd like to see is Wild at Heart with some of the deleted scenes, though not necessarily all of them (some just drag); I've heard that some earlier screenings included a little of that material. Some characters that barely appeared in the final film had much more dialogue (some of which is from the novel).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The scene in Goldeneye where Bond lands in a courtyard and there’s a close up of the tank he’s going to steal annoys me. Shouldn’t have done that. Should have gone straight to the car speeding away and the tank bursting through the wall. That’s how I remembered it.

https://youtu.be/iB7ZWNlF8DY?si=5Q6kj7kUdSIarpZ_

Don’t really have any ideas outside of that, that don’t involve access to missing film elements. Hopefully I don’t sound like one of those weirdos who are so upset by the rat in The Departed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

You don’t get TV edits of movies anymore, maybe we need to start making our own…

Even better, Super-8 cutdowns. They'd condense a 90 minute movie into 30 by cutting it to the absolute bone and adding narration. I've read that there's a few mediocre films this was done to and the cutdowns are actually better films.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Even better, Super-8 cutdowns. They'd condense a 90 minute movie into 30 by cutting it to the absolute bone and adding narration. I've read that there's a few mediocre films this was done to and the cutdowns are actually better films.
A lot of the Indicator releases include these versions. I had no idea that was even a thing until I bought a few of their Blus. I havent run across anything that was improved by a cut down version. For more action oriented movies you get the action highlights and that’s about it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Looks like the Cameron movies went up for pre order, but I don't know if they've added an actual add to cart button or they're just sold out already.

Either way keep checking places for them.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That how I saw the original King Kong for the first time was an 8mm cutdown. My grandfather had a whole collection of movies in 8mm when I was a kid. Probably where I got this propensity to collect.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

https://x.com/Eurekavideo/status/1750534317439087056?s=20

https://x.com/Eurekavideo/status/1750553759778828548?s=20

Paul Leni's silents are a lot of fun and I thought that I had read that this only survived in 16mm, so MoMA restoring from the original camera negative should allow for an outstanding restoration.

Beyond thrilled! Great news!

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Kingtheninja posted:

Looks like the Cameron movies went up for pre order, but I don't know if they've added an actual add to cart button or they're just sold out already.

Either way keep checking places for them.

I was able to preorder The Abyss from Diabolik. $24.99 + shipping is like $15 cheaper than I was expecting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think this is my wildest physical media find ever. I bought both of these movies, brand new, still in shrinkwrap, from a brick and mortar store, today

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

lol i picked up Silk from a Big Lots last year, along with Miike's First Love

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Brexit the Frog posted:

lol i picked up Silk from a Big Lots last year, along with Miike's First Love

This Big Lots had like 15 copies of First Love! I didn't get any because I already had First Love on bluray.

First Love is so loving good.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Top Gun Maverick should have put the intro sequence (sans credits) at the beginning of the third act as a way of establishing the new carrier setting, reminding the audience that they're getting more of what they're here for, and injecting a little levity into a part of the movie that needs it. Gonna fan edit that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I wish the tv edit of Videodrome were available somewhere. It’s like ten minutes longer than the real version because so much had to be cut out.

And the tv cut of Dune that Lynch had his name taken off of was on dvd at one time but is now hard to find. It has a bunch of pulp-cover paintings describing the war against robots while a narrator describes a bunch of backstory that has nothing to do with the movie.

I have fond memories of watching both tv cuts on the sci-fi channel on 1990s Saturday afternoons. They were the first versions of those movies that I had ever seen.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1750888442970382763?t=Qn3X2xreUXEfCVPNuxQz7g&s=19

Super excited for this. Really fond of this movie.

Now for my impossible dream of it leading to rereleases of other movies featuring heavy Daft Punk involvement...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Steve Yun posted:

Has anyone bothered making their own edits of films for their own enjoyment? I’ve been toying with this idea because often times in extended editions there are some scenes that improve the movie and some that drag, and I’d like to see a version with just the additional scenes I liked

In the VR thread there was a goon that used AI upscaling to make a 4k version of Way of Water to watch in 3d.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1750888442970382763?t=Qn3X2xreUXEfCVPNuxQz7g&s=19

Now for my impossible dream of it leading to rereleases of other movies featuring heavy Daft Punk involvement...

Oh my god I thought this was never gonna happen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Holy shiiiiiiiiiit :eyepop:

This is legitimately one of my all-time favorite movies. Can't wait for the UHD release.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Arrow announced their April releases

US and Canada get:
The Scarface Mob
The Tin Star

UK gets:
That Cold Day in the Park
Behind Convent Walls
Basket Case regular

US, UK and Canada get Basket Case 4K (US and UK can also get a special slipcover)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

I wish the tv edit of Videodrome were available somewhere. It’s like ten minutes longer than the real version because so much had to be cut out.

And the tv cut of Dune that Lynch had his name taken off of was on dvd at one time but is now hard to find. It has a bunch of pulp-cover paintings describing the war against robots while a narrator describes a bunch of backstory that has nothing to do with the movie.

I have fond memories of watching both tv cuts on the sci-fi channel on 1990s Saturday afternoons. They were the first versions of those movies that I had ever seen.

The TV edit of Blazing Saddles has a whole scene where Mel Brooks’ character visits the fake Rock Ridge and does a bunch of shtick that includes an impression of Toulouse-Lautrec. When I finally saw the unedited version I ended up believing I imagined that whole scene.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I love Basket Case and only have it on DVD so I’ll definitely be upgrading! I’m trying to remember if I’ve actually seen Behind Convent Walls, I’m pretty sure I have but can’t remember it very well

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://shop.a24films.com/products/stop-making-sense-collectors-edition?variant=40138572431409

Welp I was waiting for this, but at $70 with shipping I'll take the old BD. The sound quality is probably hte same

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The vinylisation of home video is rapidly reaching fruition. By which i mean prices becoming too high for me to bother like they have with vinyl records. DVDs are the new CDs i guess.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pwn posted:

The vinylisation of home video is rapidly reaching fruition. By which i mean prices becoming too high for me to bother like they have with vinyl records. DVDs are the new CDs i guess.

Yeah it’s loving awful

*pre ordered*

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

big boi posted:

https://shop.a24films.com/products/stop-making-sense-collectors-edition?variant=40138572431409

Welp I was waiting for this, but at $70 with shipping I'll take the old BD. The sound quality is probably hte same

Did I read it correctly that your extra bucks spent get you a loving booklet? That's it? JFC.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
oh hell yeah, there's been a lot of scuttlebutt and rumors over a bruceploitation boxset from severin in the wake of their recent doc, here's some words from a severin employee: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=21821693&postcount=91

Per Frank Djeng:

"To quote ALIEN3, this is rumor control, here are the facts on Severin Films' upcoming Bruceploitation Volume 1 Blu-Ray set.

1. Yes, it's coming. Special features like interviews and commentaries are being planned and scheduled for next month. There's still hope the set will be out by April earliest. All of us have been so busy in the past 4-5 months (And three of us had surgery this month!) that we really couldn't get to the bonus features sooner.

2. The Vol.1 set will also include the ENTER THE CLONES OF BRUCE documentary and there will be a group commentary with me, co-producer Michael Worth, Director David Gregory, and cameraman Jim Kunz. The documentary will also be available as a separate Blu-Ray. It is still making the festival rounds and we hope to have a "Grand Finale" multi-cities screening for the documentary in late March/Early April before it comes out on video.

3. THE CLONES OF BRUCE LEE *will* be one of the films on the Volume 1 set. If you recall, Severin actually put out an ad in a trade publication last year listing some of the films on the set, and CLONES was one of them, see below. I am not sure what the quality of the upcoming Shoreline Entertainment's release of it will be (and it will be on BD-R, not on an actual pressed Blu-Ray), but I guarantee the Severin one will be much better, with a VERY interesting audio commentary for the film."

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask but for someone looking to get a blu-ray player, are there any recommendations? I’m kind of getting sick of playing hide and seek with figuring out which streaming service has certain movies and when and for how long

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Did I read it correctly that your extra bucks spent get you a loving booklet? That's it? JFC.

Yeah. And like everything in A24's line, you don't even get both formats for the money. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a non-marginal contingent of their customers who have no way to play a disc and buy these as art objects first. Crosley should get into manufacturing UHD players.

It feels cynical and exploitative, but either way, too rich for my blood.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

big boi posted:

that website sucks

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask but for someone looking to get a blu-ray player, are there any recommendations? I’m kind of getting sick of playing hide and seek with figuring out which streaming service has certain movies and when and for how long

I've had a couple region free players over the years, if that's up your alley then imo any decently reviewed brand will do fine

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

big boi posted:

I assume there won't be a non collector's edition 4k anytime soon.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Panasonic 420 or 820 if you really want dolby vision. The Sony x700 has Dolby Vision for much cheaper, but there are reports of freezing on certain 4k discs.

If you're just getting started I might recommend finding a used electronics store and getting a lovely one for like $30. Spend the money on actual discs, and then upgrade later when you find a good deal.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

big boi posted:

Panasonic 420 or 820 if you really want dolby vision. The Sony x700 has Dolby Vision for much cheaper, but there are reports of freezing on certain 4k discs.

If you're just getting started I might recommend finding a used electronics store and getting a lovely one for like $30. Spend the money on actual discs, and then upgrade later when you find a good deal.

I had an x700 but upgraded to a Panasonic 820 when it was on sale for $330 on Black Friday. I feel I was sort of lucky with my x700, but it did freeze a handful of times which was highly annoying. While it had Dolby Vision, I actually never even knew because you have to manually turn it on and off. The Panasonic has been great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Stick to physical media

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Stick to physical media

he will never betray me

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you have kids, keep in mind that the price delta from a decent blu-ray player and a ODD equipped console is minimal, so you might kill two birds with one stone.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

big boi posted:

Yeah I wish I switched on black Friday too. My x700 seems to freeze all the time. Usually it's just a brief freeze but with bigger stuff like ready player one, or either avatar movie (top gun maverick also) it reaches a specific point and the whole loving thing crashes. It's incredibly annoying and the fact there isn't a fix for it drives me insane.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
No real issues with my x700 (only freezing issue I've experienced on it was with the Pulp Fiction 4K).

I do hate how you have to manually toggle Dolby Vision on or off though. That and if you don't disable "24p conversion" in the player's screen settings, the player triggers its own motion smoothing effect (took me forever to figure out how to switch that off).

I don't recommend this player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If u have the x700 check for a firmware upgrade, they updated it like a year or so ago and since then I've had very few freezes and if I wiped the disc off and replayed them it'd work fine.