Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I have too much self respect to ever listen to talk radio or engage with a 12 minute clip of it on twitter, and you should too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
As someone who does not watch football at all it has been extremely funny to listen to Chicago sports radio since moving back to the area, because I feel like fans and pundits have gone through the five stages of grief at least five full times in regards to Justin Fields.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh cool we're doing this again

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1750606891603120340

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Guillotine guillotine guillotine

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

As someone who does not watch football at all it has been extremely funny to listen to Chicago sports radio since moving back to the area, because I feel like fans and pundits have gone through the five stages of grief at least five full times in regards to Justin Fields.

I remember in 2020 some shop in Chicago put out signs saying "please maintain at least 6 feet of distance from other people, 6 feet is about the average distance Mitch Trubisky misses an open receiver by"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

If that’s what they’re doing then it’s very low effort kayfabe. Forgetting what position he played? Talking about Rangers players from 10 years before he even got there?

At least go in on his LA/SEA time, or make unprovable claims like “his defense was overrated” or complain he never won an MVP or a ring.

Nobody gets paid to say common sense things like "Yes Adrian Beltre should be in the HoF", that doesn't make for interesting talk radio. The argument doesn't have to make sense, in fact the less sense it makes the better because the point is to get people mad.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Popete posted:

Nobody gets paid to say common sense things like "Yes Adrian Beltre should be in the HoF", that doesn't make for interesting talk radio. The argument doesn't have to make sense, in fact the less sense it makes the better because the point is to get people mad.
I feel like if you said he was better than Brett/Schmidt/B.Robinson/Chipper than people would still get mad, and it could make for interesting conversation by sports radio standards.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Did Manfred forget these guys have a union now? Isn’t minimum wage irrelevant now that their salaries are collectively bargained?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The article makes it sound like they'd make more getting paid $14.75 an hour than they would would as part of the CBA deal.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That makes me suspicious of the MLBPA negotiators, how did they manage to land on a salary that’s below AZ minimum wage?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

Last year, Major League Baseball approved a new collective bargaining with minor league players. Minor leaguers got an increase in pay, subsidized housing, health care and retirement benefits. But many believe these ballplayers are still getting shortchanged.

Arizona lawmakers are currently considering HB 2197, which would exempt minor league baseball players from the state’s minimum wage, which is now $14.25 an hour. MLB claims that minor leaguers are different from other workers because much of their time exercising, training, and watching videos isn’t tracked on an hourly basis.

Obviously this isn't providing a whole lot of context but reading between the lines a bit I assume however the CBA is set up provides set wages that aren't subject to how much off the field work you do, whereas the AZ law is written such that any time a player is performing job related activities (team workouts, off-day bullpen work, etc) they'd be entitled to hourly wages. Also since we don't similarly see MLB publicly going after higher minimum wages in states where MiLB teams exist like CA, NY, etc this is presumably about the Cactus League which probably also has different compensation rules written into the CBA specifically for it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's the only explanation as to why Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd still have jobs.

If the Sean Taylor stuff didn't get Cowherd fired nothing will short of a Brockmire-like meltdown or a slur

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cody signed yet? No? Ok, see you tomorrow.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Twitter says Joc Pederson signed with Arizona, which will bring him to 60% of the NLWest. I hope he completes the cycle, ending his career with some majestic fat old guy dongs in Colorado.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Popete posted:

That's the entire point of sports talk radio. It's manufactured anger by stating blatantly dumb opinions for people to get mad about.

Yeah .

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I have an acquaintance who worked with Skip Bayless for a while (like 10+ years ago now) who told me he doesn't actually believe almost anything he says on TV. It's all to feed the outrage machine. I have no reason not to believe him.

He said off camera Bayless is kind of a prima donna but no less than any other TV face. Mostly he's just fanatically private and doesn't want to talk to anyone about anything. Which makes sense in light of the gods only know how many death threats a week he's been getting for 20 years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's funny because his brother RIck Bayless is awesome and has hosted a show about Mexican cooking on PBS (and now YouTube) for years and he seems like a really nice guy. I actually lived in the same neighborhood as Rick Bayless for a brief period and one morning I looked up well walking on the sidewalk to see him and his wife presumably coming back from the farmers market, it took me a second to realize it was him and by then he was walking past and I regret not stopping him to say hi and how much I love his show.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Popete posted:

It's funny because his brother RIck Bayless is awesome and has hosted a show about Mexican cooking on PBS (and now YouTube) for years and he seems like a really nice guy. I actually lived in the same neighborhood as Rick Bayless for a brief period and one morning I looked up well walking on the sidewalk to see him and his wife presumably coming back from the farmers market, it took me a second to realize it was him and by then he was walking past and I regret not stopping him to say hi and how much I love his show.

You should have called him Skip

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Rick Bayless is a Chicago icon. Topolobampo has had a Michelin Star for like 12 straight years.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have an acquaintance who worked with Skip Bayless for a while (like 10+ years ago now) who told me he doesn't actually believe almost anything he says on TV. It's all to feed the outrage machine. I have no reason not to believe him.

I'm sure someone else said this about another talking head, but gently caress me if I can't remember who it was. Hell, it may have been Skip they were talking about

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It might even have been me, years ago, I don't remember :shrug:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm sure someone else said this about another talking head, but gently caress me if I can't remember who it was. Hell, it may have been Skip they were talking about

I assume this is true for every talking head who plies their trade through outrage.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
“MLB claims that minor leaguers are different from other workers because much of their time exercising, training, and watching videos isn’t tracked on an hourly basis.”

Okay, so track it. Or is there a reason that mlb wouldn’t want to do that 🤔

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1750690531359793299

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

“MLB claims that minor leaguers are different from other workers because much of their time exercising, training, and watching videos isn’t tracked on an hourly basis.”

Okay, so track it. Or is there a reason that mlb wouldn’t want to do that 🤔
If only we had a way to classify labor like this, some kind of regular payment structure which must be above a minimum and doesn't track hours...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Continuing on Vegas, I think VGK coming in and immediately being really good probably has cemented Vegas as a hockey city. I know most of them were Raiders fans from before they moved there, but the Raiders haven't been good in over 20 years. There's no reason to be excited over the A's coming to town.
College basketball used to be the big thing here from 1980-2010, and we sometimes pretend to care about college football when the program is good but overall our history is getting beaten by the rival school in Reno which causes us to stop caring. (The Raiders stadium started off with "UNLV is having a good season and needs an Alamodome or something because the current situation sucks." Then billionaires got involved and juiced the price by 500%.)

There are tons of Cubs and Mets fans here, owing to how many people seem to come here to escape winter (and a good number of the gambling industries being based in those areas for decades.) The Cubs (used to?) do a Big League Weekend event where they played a Spring Training game at the shittiest AAA stadium before it was retired for the current one. Lots of Dodgers/Angels/Giants as well. The Dodgers have a team store around here somewhere.

Either everybody is from farther east and does not give a poo poo about the A's, or is a California transplant already pre-programmed not to give a poo poo about the A's. They'd be better off in Montreal.

Timby posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that boggles my mind and cooks my noodle about the A's being so hellbent on moving to Las Vegas. Not only does it automatically become, I'm pretty sure, the smallest stadium in all of MLB (I believe I read that the capacity is going to be only 33,000) and on a horrendously compact and cramped parcel of land, but they're going to be playing 81 games in the middle of the loving desert. Last I recall reading, the stadium is going to have a retractable roof, and, sure, I guess they could open it up during a late October / November run (lol A's), but it seems to me that it would be cheaper and more cost-efficient to just build it with a fixed roof.

Arizona already exists, you'll have to asks a D-Backs fan about how often they open their roof.

Inspector_666 posted:

I think I'm misremembering and Fisher wanted multiple times that, but it turns out that Oakland was putting up more money than Vegas actually is ($380m), so Fisher definitely just threw a tantrum over his pride rather than accepting less than he thought he "deserved."

It's more that Fisher wants revenue sharing money. He's happier on the league payola. If simply getting a bigger number from the government was his priority, Oakland already did that.

The team was also content to keep playing in the deteriorating Coliseum while getting revshare money until the Leauge stopped looking the other way and told him that the Bay Area can't be considered a small market no matter how thoroughly the Giants have won minds. So now he wants to move to a place where he continue to be a taker, so the average resident here being too poor to afford pro sports is a benefit if anything. (The seats will be filled with tourists, and being like a landlocked Hawaii we'll always be too tough a market to make financial sense without receiving welfare stimulus from New York.)

However that small touristy crowd will likely be paying the highest prices of any city anywhere to watch pro baseball, so he'll still make money burning his candle at each end.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 26, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1750710839915507735/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1750710839915507735&currentTweetUser=TalkinBaseball_

Basebrawwwwwwwwl

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1750726116829266036

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This seems like a solid signing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Man, if the Guardians' offseason acquisitions began and ended at Austin Hedges...

Man.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seems to have popped off when another player hit Puig

https://twitter.com/lisettecarnet/status/1750383952177856693

This tweet is from his agent so maybe there’s more before who knows

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
You know, ever since “best shape of his life” became too much of cliche for anyone to take seriously, I think my favorite offseason stock phrase has become “Team is exploring the market for such-and-such”

It’s so stupidly grandiose. It makes me envision some pasty front office type putting on a pith helmet and delving into the Amazon in search of the Legendary Reliever Who Can Pitch The Seventh For A 76-Win Team

JJ Piccolo sweating in front of an ancient pedestal trying to decide if he can switch out a bag of sand for Matt Wisler without setting off every trap in the temple

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This seems like a solid signing.

I love D-Rob deeply, but he looked bad in Miami.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They had Will Smith closing half the drat year

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

zoux posted:

They had Will Smith closing half the drat year

put some respect on the mans name! the only consecutive WS 3 year winner on 3 different teams!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

:siren: Braves swing a trade for J.P. Martinez

(unremarkable Rangers outfielder for an unremarkable minor league pitcher)

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

:siren: Braves swing a trade for J.P. Martinez

(unremarkable Rangers outfielder for an unremarkable minor league pitcher)

JPM is a dude that has had his effort level questioned until this last year. He has the potential to be a really solid 4th outfielder. He just needs MLB ABs and to continue taking the game seriously. The Rangers outfield is stacked for the next few several, so hopefully he gets a shot in Atlanta.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this guy is heroically cubsposting on jeopardy
https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1750667260060987618?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1750923991403958301

Highly rated prospect in our program (I was actually at his first big league start) and showed flashes of brilliance that were too often overshadowed by control problems. I wish him the best....but not too the best, it is STL