Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Bonzo posted:

When people complain about LOST not having a well thought out ending I tell them to go watch X-Files and get back to me.

X-Files ended in the middle of season 6 and I will die on that hill.
This even fits with the "5 seasons and a movie" idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Bonzo posted:

When people complain about LOST not having a well thought out ending I tell them to go watch X-Files and get back to me.

This is a total cop out. Lindelof is a hack/con man writer.

The xfiles was more than a decade before Lost and helped set the stage for story bibles and multi season arcs. It’s like Musk blaming Ford for the fact his cars explode.

Jan 21, 2024

13 pages

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mark Snow's music is iconic, but hes got a strange proclivity to use pan flute noises whenever theres an "ethnic" on screen.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I just watched the Hell Money episode, and I was surprised by the lack of panflute. Had plenty of synthesizer to compensate!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Detective Thompson posted:

The Flukeman was actually played by Darin Morgan, who, as you know, when on to later join the writing team and wrote some of the best episodes of the series.
Interesting note to this, he could only write x files episodes while in full flukeman costume and makeup.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Decided to watch the pilot episode last night. Disney+ spookily froze right at the moment in the middle of the episode where they are driving and lose 9 minutes. Had to restart the app and everything. Very immersive AAAA+++ would watch ep 2.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

THE BAR posted:

I just watched the Hell Money episode, and I was surprised by the lack of panflute. Had plenty of synthesizer to compensate!

This is the Chinese episode in Season 3. Season 4 really turns on the "ethnicity" episodes. These probably wouldn't fly in 2024 but looking back they are kind of quaint for trying.

s4e3 "Teliko" is a MOTW episode that has a ton of African drums and flutes and is about a West African curse/spirit/ghost and explores some racial themes.

s4e11 "El Mundo Gira" heavily features Mexican migrant workers and co-stars Ramon Cruz who also famously got his poo poo pushed in bigtime in Training Day (2001).

s4e15 "Kaddish" which finds Mulder chasing a Golem through tunnels attached to a Hasidic shul. Wild stuff.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Poohs Packin posted:

This is the Chinese episode in Season 3. Season 4 really turns on the "ethnicity" episodes. These probably wouldn't fly in 2024 but looking back they are kind of quaint for trying.

s4e3 "Teliko" is a MOTW episode that has a ton of African drums and flutes and is about a West African curse/spirit/ghost and explores some racial themes.

s4e11 "El Mundo Gira" heavily features Mexican migrant workers and co-stars Ramon Cruz who also famously got his poo poo pushed in bigtime in Training Day (2001).

s4e15 "Kaddish" which finds Mulder chasing a Golem through tunnels attached to a Hasidic shul. Wild stuff.

Kaddish might be the darkest (in terms of lighting) episode of the series? I remember it just being pitch black (and kind of slow).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

well time to stay out of Crown Heights for a while

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Watching s5e16 "Mind's Eye" about a blind woman with the ability to see through the eyes of a killer.

Somehow, the least realistic aspect of the episode is the cop who realizes hes wrong about her doing the killing, owns up to his mistake, and then personally promises to see that shes protected from the real killer. Like, come the gently caress on.

The 90s optimism runs really deep in this show sometimes.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Poohs Packin posted:

Watching s5e16 "Mind's Eye" about a blind woman with the ability to see through the eyes of a killer.

Somehow, the least realistic aspect of the episode is the cop who realizes hes wrong about her doing the killing, owns up to his mistake, and then personally promises to see that shes protected from the real killer. Like, come the gently caress on.

The 90s optimism runs really deep in this show sometimes.

The bit in the Smoking Man background episode where he's left underemployed after Gulf War I because all Americas enemies "are defeated now" is some peak end of history blinkered poo poo.

The line is meant to be funny in a blackly comic episode that riffs on Forest Gump, but not funny in the way it reads now.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I wonder if this John Barnett and locker 935 actually comes back…

Also the Iraqi/Turkey border post has a forest?!?!!

Edit: Yes! The Lone Gunmen

Weebly fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 24, 2024

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Disco Pope posted:

The bit in the Smoking Man background episode where he's left underemployed after Gulf War I because all Americas enemies "are defeated now" is some peak end of history blinkered poo poo.

Hey, at the time, for many, it probably legitimately seemed that way. Trying to guess the future, well, look at how fiction in the mid 1900's predicted flying cars and moon colonies for the year 2000, but who knows if any predicted in any way the concept of the internet.

It doesn't help that a lot of people we ASSUME would assume better don't. I've heard that one of the reasons the Soviet Union's collapse and the fall of the Berlin Wall was so extra shocking is that outside of a very small few, no one saw it coming, on either side. Each side was certain they'd be Cold Warring with the other for years, decades to come. When something like THAT catches so many people who you think should have had an inkling or a musing with their pants down, then yeah. The whole 'end of history' thing makes more sense.

Besides, if you pointed out the seeds of the problems in the 90's that would bloom into new history as the millennium turned, no one would listen to you anyway. Or rather, anyone who did listen to you probably wouldn't have been in any position to do anything about it.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Man season 6 really is so, so weak and it just gets worse.
It goes way beyond not taking itself too seriously, and just isn't serious. Outside of a few bangers it's extremely limp trash.
Triangle is amazing and worth the entire season, but it should have died here.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

The line is meant to be funny in a blackly comic episode that riffs on Forest Gump, but not funny in the way it reads now.

It was good times.

And conspiracies were fun! Even government conspiracies.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

redshirt posted:

It was good times.

And conspiracies were fun! Even government conspiracies.

Yeah. No doubt most conspiracy theorists of the time were also far right shitheads but I was never exposed to them.
I never saw the xfiles revival, did they address that? Is there a Qanon analogue?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I don't recall any Q stuff just Joel McHale guest started as an Alex Jones type of a character.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

It was an age where conspiracy theorists were harmless kooks and the conspiracies were interested in things we didn't know about but should: UFOs, Governmental spying, paranormal. Things that didn't have evidence, but people thought evidence should exist for. The basis being that mainstream media and news is a disinformation agenda covering up the evidence.

2023 conspiracy theory goes the other direction: Things that have _plenty_ of evidence, but it's ignored in favour of a disinformation agenda. (Vaccines.)

Anyway 4 episodes remain. Jesus Christ Season 6 is so bad that in hindsight we should have skipped all of it except the known good ones. I really, greatly, dislike the one with the authors works coming to life. It's stupid and vain and completely up its own rear end while also making Scully out to be a "lonely woman who needs a man" archetype which I deeply deeply hate.
The lone gunman episode near the end has the tone of a children's TV show (despite some gore), and overall the season complete fails to have real tension or fear and instead has devolved into Goosebumps for Adults.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 25, 2024

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
The only real X file was how Scully never let Mulder infiltrate her government issue panties!

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Watching terrible season seven and Sein und Zeit and Closure are the most incoherent two-parter episodes I think I've seen yet. It's like someone's horrible JonBenét Ramsey fanfiction. Space faeries steal/murder children before they are going to be stolen/murdered, and mind control the parents to write fake ransom notes that casts the suspicion on them so they go to prison for murdering their child? But the ransom notes reference Santa man, who didn't actually steal/murder the children the note is for, but was going to at some point maybe, and did so to a bunch of other children who weren't saved/murdered by the space faeries? Did Santa man not write bad ransom notes referencing Santa for the children he did steal/murder?

Then the child ghost appears and mouths "71" or something, which leads them to Santa man, but child wasn't actually taken by Santa man and her body wasn't there with the other children, so no typical ghost "connection." So I guess the space faeries were like, "look ghost girl, you were gonna be killed by this guy but you weren't cause we did the deed instead, but now you need to relay what highway Santa's Village is on our behalf because we are tired of this and law enforcement sucks too much to figure out there are 22 bodies in shallow graves with large burial mounds 50 feet from a tourist destination apparently so popular it appears on a printed map." This doesn't even get into the sister nonsense in part two. Sorry, her being "abducted" twice isn't the genius writing you think it is.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

SRQ posted:

It was an age where conspiracy theorists were harmless kooks and the conspiracies were interested in things we didn't know about but should: UFOs, Governmental spying, paranormal. Things that didn't have evidence, but people thought evidence should exist for. The basis being that mainstream media and news is a disinformation agenda covering up the evidence.

2023 conspiracy theory goes the other direction: Things that have _plenty_ of evidence, but it's ignored in favour of a disinformation agenda. (Vaccines.)

There's an argument that their roots are the same: ego. Conspiracy belief, if it extends past 'but what if?' mental musing akin to theorizing about your favourite piece of fiction, is basically all 'I'm so much SMARTER than everyone else, I SEE THE TRUTH, and I don't have to exert any effort to be a better person, I just roll out of bed and I'm better'. Recent stuff is basically psychopath devolving: wanting more buzz for less effort. Ancient aliens and lizard people are complicated. The government did 9/11 and Sandy Hook to take your guns and testicles is easy and you get the same masturbation jolt. But at the core, it's about ego stroking. Almost always is, almost always has been. The rest are either mentally ill or 'I want to believe in the world being more interesting than it seems to me, but I know when pressed it's all stories'.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I always figured people like to believe that the world is controlled by dark forces because it's preferable to the truth, that the world isn't controlled by anyone, we're all adrift in a meaningless sea of chaos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SRQ posted:

I'm p sure there was a lot of evidence that the government was spying even back then lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grogquock posted:

Watching terrible season seven and Sein und Zeit and Closure are the most incoherent two-parter episodes I think I've seen yet. It's like someone's horrible JonBenét Ramsey fanfiction. Space faeries steal/murder children before they are going to be stolen/murdered, and mind control the parents to write fake ransom notes that casts the suspicion on them so they go to prison for murdering their child? But the ransom notes reference Santa man, who didn't actually steal/murder the children the note is for, but was going to at some point maybe, and did so to a bunch of other children who weren't saved/murdered by the space faeries? Did Santa man not write bad ransom notes referencing Santa for the children he did steal/murder?

Then the child ghost appears and mouths "71" or something, which leads them to Santa man, but child wasn't actually taken by Santa man and her body wasn't there with the other children, so no typical ghost "connection." So I guess the space faeries were like, "look ghost girl, you were gonna be killed by this guy but you weren't cause we did the deed instead, but now you need to relay what highway Santa's Village is on our behalf because we are tired of this and law enforcement sucks too much to figure out there are 22 bodies in shallow graves with large burial mounds 50 feet from a tourist destination apparently so popular it appears on a printed map." This doesn't even get into the sister nonsense in part two. Sorry, her being "abducted" twice isn't the genius writing you think it is.

I love x files but man the bad episodes were truly bad and not all of them in a fun way

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I always figured people like to believe that the world is controlled by dark forces because it's preferable to the truth, that the world isn't controlled by anyone, we're all adrift in a meaningless sea of chaos.

Yeah this is probably a large part of it. Feels better to have some entity that you can blame for all the bullshit that happens in the world and it not just being a lot of random meaningless chaos, and different opportunistic groups being greed and short cited.

Pretty hilarious all the consistory theories that go back to like the knights templar and ancient Vatican stuff. At one point the Vatican had three popes at the same time, and were for a long time pretty openly selling the papacy. This was not an institution that was running the long con.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Milo and POTUS posted:

I love x files but man the bad episodes were truly bad and not all of them in a fun way

1. Your username made my heart so happy

2. Did you watch the 2016 season? It was refreshingly cheeky with the show's own established tropes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I watched both. I didn't hate them as much as some and a few episodes were legit good but god it might be the worst mytharc stuff yet

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The new seasons completely nuked suspension of disbelief by trying to merge Chris Carter's political anger at Trump (Which is justified! I'm not putting on a maga hat!) and having the X-Files exist in a universe where Trump is president too.

Calling him an idiot in the premiere was cheeky. Having Mulder and Scully repeatedly reference him was annoying and ruined the escapism. Also smokey becomes a cosmic horror sith like palpatine or something.

Seeing the viral plague get released was fun but was nested in a pile of garbage

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Milo and POTUS posted:

it might be the worst mytharc stuff yet

:hmmyes: you are absolutely right and I am familiar with this term because I have had qualitative engagement with the X-Files fan community (rather than just watching it on my own and not really talking to anyone about it like a weird little dope).

SRQ posted:

The new seasons completely nuked suspension of disbelief by trying to merge Chris Carter's political anger at Trump (Which is justified! I'm not putting on a maga hat!) and having the X-Files exist in a universe where Trump is president too.

Calling him an idiot in the premiere was cheeky. Having Mulder and Scully repeatedly reference him was annoying and ruined the escapism. Also smokey becomes a cosmic horror sith like palpatine or something.

Seeing the viral plague get released was fun but was nested in a pile of garbage

In 2016 I was definitely too stoned to notice this. I might try to find it streaming soon, though.

databasic fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 26, 2024

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

databasic posted:

:hmmyes: you are absolutely right and I am familiar with this term because I have had qualitative engagement with the X-Files fan community (rather than just watching it on my own and not really talking to anyone about it like a weird little dope).

In 2016 I was definitely too stoned to notice this. I might try to find it streaming soon, though.

disney plus has the whole series

disney sucks but it's kinda worth it just to have simpsons white noise on demand tbh

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Our watch gang has finished. Hungry was a good suggestion, but marred by season 7 being tired and lazy.
Lost Art of Forehead Sweat is the perfect episode to end off on. It's deconstruction of the show and meta-narrative of how rebooting it will never work is great. It's also proof of why Season 10/11 suck rear end with the lame trump jokes.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
As much as I still enjoy the title tune and some of Mark Snow's more "featured" pieces of music for the show, like 80% of his incidental background music was just an incredibly cheap-sounding random string of lovely notes. For most of the time it just sounds like he put his cat on a fisher price keyboard set to "cheap rear end sounding violin", and let it walk up and down the keyboard for two minutes. Bing bang there's your score, where's my paycheck. Gahh it's been tiresome to listen to that droning plaintive crap, even though I've been enjoying most of my nth rewatch otherwise (just started S5).

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

SRQ posted:

disney plus has the whole series

disney sucks but it's kinda worth it just to have simpsons white noise on demand tbh

Oh nice, thank you!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

poronty posted:

As much as I still enjoy the title tune and some of Mark Snow's more "featured" pieces of music for the show, like 80% of his incidental background music was just an incredibly cheap-sounding random string of lovely notes. For most of the time it just sounds like he put his cat on a fisher price keyboard set to "cheap rear end sounding violin", and let it walk up and down the keyboard for two minutes. Bing bang there's your score, where's my paycheck. Gahh it's been tiresome to listen to that droning plaintive crap, even though I've been enjoying most of my nth rewatch otherwise (just started S5).

It's good in the first four seasons, tired in season 5, and for season 6 he gives up and it just repeats the movie tracks FOR THE ENTIRE loving SEASON.

The cool sombre version of the main tune gets tiring fast.

Also I really like the movie and season 6 should have just focused (arc wise) on the syndicate failing. Lol that the ultimate myth arc conclusion was actually "except for alien rebels, we actually lost and the world was going to end."

I would've had the colonists find out about Purity myself- maybe with some comeuppance that the rebels tell them after the syndicate betrayed them. Leave it with the hanging but not quite explained implication that the colonization started, and you either end the series or have a few seasons to deal with that.

I like to think that X-Files ends just as X-Com begins, which actually works quite well: X-Com begins in late 1999, right as the syndicate gets wiped out, and world militaries noticing something weird is afoot but being outside of the conspiracy makes the creation of a secret anti-alien agency make sense.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 27, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

What do you mean "find out about Purity?"

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

What do you mean "find out about Purity?"

Purity Control I mean I guess.
The syndicate was attempting to find a cure for the virus just as they were working to create a hybrid. The whole concept, and a fun bit of the narrative, is that they were actually more scared of the aliens finding out about than than the public- because then the aliens would squash them like a bug for bullshitting them.

The conspiracy is an onion:

UFOs exist, and are dangerous. (The army group we see in season 1/2) -> UFOs exist, and so do live ETs. (The trucker, the inner circles of the syndicate and the biologists, most high ranking politicians) -> ETs exist, and we made a deal with them to create a hybrid (The inner circle of syndicate biologists.) -> ETs exist, we made a deal with them to surrender Earth, and we're attempting to stab them in the back. (The core council of the syndicate only.)

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

It’s a great show but I personally only like the “monster of the week” eps. I could never get into the serialized ones.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you are looking for similar shows, (Monster of the week against telling a longer story) I'd suggest Evil https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9055008 and the lighter fare, SurrealEstate. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11952974

If you are looking for a show to thrill you and piss you off as much as LOST did, check out From https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9813792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Season 2 of the X files has started with 2 absolute bangers. Just waiting for the X files to be re-established.