Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kaddish posted:

So don’t even bother engaging with that whole mechanic beyond what is necessary until I get a bunch of scrap metal, got it.

FYI, scrap metal can drop from a lot of breakables in the environment, and there are a bunch of static respawns of them too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish Icarus pulled from boxes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

After watching skill ups review of enshrouded it doesn’t really seem like a survival game?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

MarcusSA posted:

After watching skill ups review of enshrouded it doesn’t really seem like a survival game?

We already covered this, if you can die in the game it's a survival game.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

honestly a lot of these newer games are much more harvesting/lootbox/crafting games than actual "survival". There might be some survival-lite mechanisms like water and food but that's about where the survival ends.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

I put about 5 hours into Enshrouded solo. I think the best part of it currently is building. I spent probably 3 hours just dinking around my altar making buildings/hollowing out a cave. The options here feel significantly more robust than just about anything I've played outside of modded minecraft. I like what they have going on where they can tell if you building provides shelter, has increasing levels of "comfort" the more decorations you put in the building. I'd like to see this expanded even more - like, maybe the blacksmith needs his own building of a certain size and comfort level? Movement was a mild plus for me. I like the flying squirrel suit. I thought the grappling hook would be more useful, but its fine. I like what they have going on with the cooking system. I felt significantly more powerful when I cooked and ate before heading out, and running out of food buffs was a signal I should think about heading back.
I like the shroud mechanic. the time ticking down in the shroud provides some tension, and finding ways to extend the timer feels good. Exploring in general was positive for me. I was not in love with the tower puzzles, but they were at least pretty quick.

Combat is currently at best neutral for me. I never encountered anything I could not solve by walking backwards and using a wand. Melee felt like a strictly worse choice, and chucking bombs while more fun was the leading cause of my death. Performance is a large negative for me. I tried multiple permutations of video options (Ive got a 3070 and updated the drivers yesterday) and was still getting sub 30 FPS in spots.

I think this has good bones, and look forward to seeing where they go with it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Feeling like there's a shortage of new survival games atm?
Don't worry. here's one for you....

quote:

Soulmask is a sandbox game that prioritizes an authentic survival experience. As the "last one" blessed with the mysterious mask, players will grapple for survival in a primitive land steeped in mysterious faiths, carving out a path to ascendance. Start from nothing, explore, build, recruit tribesmen to fortify your clan, and ultimately unravel the mysterious truths hidden behind the civilizations of this world.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2646460/Soulmask/

https://discord.gg/pv6GzRn4

I've no idea if it's any good at all, but I just got pinged about the demo. It's supposedly about 40 hours worth (max Lv 30) and is live until mid February

(This, as well as Soulframe make me laugh with their names though. Not saying "Soul" isn't allowed, but lol)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

YerDa Zabam posted:

I've no idea if it's any good at all, but I just got pinged about the demo. It's supposedly about 40 hours worth (max Lv 30) and is live until mid February

(This, as well as Soulframe make me laugh with their names though. Not saying "Soul" isn't allowed, but lol)

Those are some pretty crops in the steam screenshots.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

YerDa Zabam posted:

Always a good sign when several parts of your trailer are running at 5 fps.

Looks interesting though, hope they get the performance issues at least somewhat fixed before the EA release.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
boy what a great time to release a survival game demo I bet everyone will play my hey where is everyone what's a palworld?

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Enshrouded trip report, roughly 3-4 hours: Fun!

It's not just a Valheim thing. Valheim was way more pure crafting, Enshrouded has a lot of scavenging and repurposing, which is honestly my jam. There are components and items you can only loot from the ruined settlements (at least so far) or enemies, that makes it feel a bit like RUST (to me).

I have NOT played Genshin or Breath Of The Wild, I understand the stamina bars, climbing, gliding and grappling are all kinda rips of those games, but they're super fun here. Especially gliding.

I just awakened a craftperson, got some upgraded armor and whatnot, cleared the first dungeon and got some more skill points. Super enjoying it so far. Hoping to play with some friends this weekend.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have four NPCs unlocked in Enshrouded and I'd have to say that I like it overall!

My fun will increase a billionfold when I can craft from boxes.

MP is good fun but my friend kept crashing at random times.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inzombiac posted:

My fun will increase a billionfold when I can craft from boxes.
Yeah I've seen people say you can unlock this, but... how? When? I'd like to get that asap.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah I've seen people say you can unlock this, but... how? When? I'd like to get that asap.

Apparently you can do it once you get the carpenter. Hopefully someone makes a mod that just allows it from the beginning.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just got enshrouded, is there a goon server somewhere?
Any tips and tricks for just starting out?
I have lots of Minecraft and souls games under my belt, but no valheim.
I won't get to play until tonight unfortunately

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Enshrouded.jpg

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Gotta get that spooky juice

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anime Store Adventure posted:

One thing I’m finding to be a huge bummer, and maybe it’s just the starter area of the map, but is there no water features in the game? I always always always build my pretty little survival homes around a river or something.

Apparently water in a voxel-based game is a tough thing to pull off. I hope they figure it out because like you, I love building next to water.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Palworld spoiled me on the ease of building vs Enshrouded. Having to go craft a bed at the table, whoops forgot my string in a chest, craft the bed, drag it from inventory into my hotbar and then place it is much less streamlined.

That said, this is definitely a different flavor of game from Palworld and I really hope the studio does well with it, given the unfortunate timing of the release

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Sipher posted:

Palworld spoiled me on the ease of building vs Enshrouded. Having to go craft a bed at the table, whoops forgot my string in a chest, craft the bed, drag it from inventory into my hotbar and then place it is much less streamlined.

That said, this is definitely a different flavor of game from Palworld and I really hope the studio does well with it, given the unfortunate timing of the release

The magic chest that lets you craft anywhere from it is a huge relief, at least. Going to be making a few more of them for sure.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Umbreon posted:

The magic chest that lets you craft anywhere from it is a huge relief, at least. Going to be making a few more of them for sure.

Fo sho.

It isn't great early game though and seems a but unnecessary, but I guess that at the idk, 23, 30 plus hours point it will just be a distant memory.
It does seem odd though as they've got lots of other decent qol stuff

It's high on the list of user requested items, and I've seen it mentioned on reddit a fair bit so hopefully they change it somehow, or even just remove it.
The devs are very responsive on reddit and discord which is cool.

Here's the list of stuff..
https://enshrouded.featureupvote.com/

-edit-
Haha, that list has some real gems in the comments. Some really funny "I'm not a coder, but..." stuff suggesting how to go about getting water working in a voxel based game. A famously difficult task may end up being solved by "GameBubba420" in a comment post

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 26, 2024

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Bann posted:

I think this has good bones, and look forward to seeing where they go with it.

Now that makes me interested - which survival games went through EA, were finished, and were better at the end than before? I think most that are considered good are eternally in EA.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Umbreon posted:

Does it make sense to beeline this? About how many hours in is it attainable?

I've only put maybe 2 hours in but having a blast. I do seem to be getting, for lack of a better term, some FPS chop. Steam FPS overlay is showing a consistent 55-75fps on max quality but it's almost like it's dropping frames here and there. Haven't been able to pinpoint any settings that effect it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

Now that makes me interested - which survival games went through EA, were finished, and were better at the end than before? I think most that are considered good are eternally in EA.

Rust.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sipher posted:

Does it make sense to beeline this? About how many hours in is it attainable?

I've only put maybe 2 hours in but having a blast. I do seem to be getting, for lack of a better term, some FPS chop. Steam FPS overlay is showing a consistent 55-75fps on max quality but it's almost like it's dropping frames here and there. Haven't been able to pinpoint any settings that effect it.

I think I unlocked the guy around 4 hours although I wasn't rushing it specifically. You can probably do it in less than 2 if you know what you're doing. The only prerequisite is a level 2 fire altar so you can survive the shroud in that zone.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rust isn't good.

Yes I'm very biased against games that lean on PvP to have any challenge or fun experiences.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Rust is obviously very popular among people who prefer that style of gameplay and it is several factors of ten better than when it launched into EA no matter who you are. It is a very polished and completed game that you don't like.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also Conan Exiles.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also Raft.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Twenty Four posted:

quoting this for almost every game ever lol

i wish there were, like, one game in this entire genre where traversal and combat felt as good as an action game. not even like the best-of-the-best, "Elden Ring but it's Minecraft" standards or anything, just, like, "the upper end of competent" instead of actively detracting from the experience

of course as i type that i realize i'm basically describing V Rising, which i bounced off for unrelated reasons, so maybe asking for it is a bit hypocritical

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lordfrikk posted:

Subnautica?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i wish there were, like, one game in this entire genre where traversal and combat felt as good as an action game. not even like the best-of-the-best, "Elden Ring but it's Minecraft" standards or anything, just, like, "the upper end of competent" instead of actively detracting from the experience

of course as i type that i realize i'm basically describing V Rising, which i bounced off for unrelated reasons, so maybe asking for it is a bit hypocritical

the day a fully 3D survival crafting game comes out with actually good melee combat is the day the world ends but im definitely gonna play the hell out of it before the power shuts off

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

just get hideaki itsuno to direct a tree puncher tbh

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

what if they handcrafted a valheim world. i think that would be good

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Concurred posted:

what if they handcrafted a valheim world. i think that would be good

That's Enshrouded.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Planet Crafter has had a very good run through EA though it’s not quite finished

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm officially putting Enshrouded in Very Good category.

It really does take some getting used to but now that everything has clicked, I can't stop playing.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish Icarus pulled from boxes

I asked the Devs about this recently and they said it's something they've discussed and thought about but they'd only add it as part of a larger UI/Inventory overhaul at a later date unfortunately. But it's something they do want to do long term.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh, and the magic boxes in Enshrouded are actually not expensive to make. You craft a normal box and then shove a bunch of the common spores in to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Inzombiac posted:

Oh, and the magic boxes in Enshrouded are actually not expensive to make. You craft a normal box and then shove a bunch of the common spores in to it.

well I was gonna do that anyway