Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
The whole town is ghosty, so that explains it.

— a writer who is contractually prohibited from using chatgpt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I was just thinking about when Danvers is arguing about keeping the case with the guy she’s fuckin and she starts reading the rule book and he’s like “what is that” and Danvers has to explain it’s the rule book because Issa Lopez writes like her audience is dumb as poo poo, which I guess I am since I’m probably going to watch this whole shitbowl.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Smugworth posted:

I'm getting pretty excited. I bet episode 4 next week will be a doozy. Maybe a one-shot take of Danvers and Navarro raiding the factory where they make the reverse-aging serum? That would be siiiick

That will be a great bottle episode where Danvers and Navarro try the serum and get de-aged too much and turn into 20-somethings, played by Sydney Sweeney and Zendaya while the last science man in town tries to get them back to normal!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I was just thinking about when Danvers is arguing about keeping the case with the guy she’s fuckin and she starts reading the rule book and he’s like “what is that” and Danvers has to explain it’s the rule book because Issa Lopez writes like her audience is dumb as poo poo, which I guess I am since I’m probably going to watch this whole shitbowl.

i think the idea was he was trying to pull a fast one on her, but she knew her poo poo. that was the little trope they were going for.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

20 Blunts posted:

i think the idea was he was trying to pull a fast one on her, but she knew her poo poo. that was the little trope they were going for.

Yeah she got 48 hours, because that's how long it will take to thaw them at 38F which is the temperature in their hockey rink which is the only place they can do it.

Suck it State pigs!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
If there’s one thing that’s difficult to find above the arctic circle in winter, it’s a room that’s slightly warmer than freezing

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You think they'll play a hockey game with the dude cube in the middle? Could add a whole new facet to the game

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Yeah there could be a great scene where Captain Danvers has to be the goalie to keep people from shooting pucks at the ... the... tableau.

Until somebody knocks loose an ice shard and a glowing crystal falls out which Captain Danvers absorbs.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I liked that last episode compared to the previous ones. The supernatural stuff is creepy and the chemistry between Danvers and Navarro is good now that they've finally teamed up.

Also the CGI on this show is some of the worst i've seen in prestige TV yet they manage some really cool sets and props like the Dude Cube so idk whats going on

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I liked how in the birthing scene they remembered to include a little blood for a minute and forgot that umbilical cords exist.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I don't want realistic births on TV so I'm ok with this

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

I liked how in the birthing scene they remembered to include a little blood for a minute and forgot that umbilical cords exist.

Intentional because the baby is a ghost

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That baby grew up to be the yellow king

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I hope the next episode opens with a wedding, or maybe they can save that for the finale.

Nothing more exciting than a birthing scene other than a wedding.

But you usually put the wedding earlier in the season than the birth.

Can only be topped if they have a musical number where all the cast is singing and dancing and explaining what has already happened in song.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

instead of an umbilical cord the showrunner had the composer play a somber f minor umbilical chord, a triad representing the holy trinity, which you all missed

this was discussed perhaps more than some episodes

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm excited to hear what more contemporary adult top 40 songs can be used to set the mood for this "chilling" murder (?) mystery next week, hon.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

If you’re around 30 you can hack a phone. Even if you’re not really a big tech guy. Everyone knows this.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
JUNIOR DETECTIVE: hey i "cracked" that phone detective jodie. turns out being under 30 did the trick

JODIE FOSTER: Fuckin see? I fuckin told you. Give me that loving thing.

*watches sp00ky tikt0k video*

PHONE: Hello?! If anyone sees this, I'm the murder victim from earlier in the show. I have to tell you something important. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!!

Screams can be heard as we pan out down the hallway of the hospital police station.

CUE CREDITS

CUE AQUA'S SEMINAL HIT BARBIE GIRL

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
The dialogue/exposition dumping is so bad that I keep expecting Jack Reacher to show up.

He probably would have solved the crime already and killed everyone with an impure heart in Ennis by putting them all in the lab and blowing it up.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
them finding the spooky phone video did kind of start to kill this for me

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Next ep Danvers and Navarro walk side by side into the camera while that song from Kill Bill plays

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

so is this worth watching because its so bad it's funny? Because season 2 wasn't that kind of bad and i don't want to experience that again

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

so is this worth watching because its so bad it's funny? Because season 2 wasn't that kind of bad and i don't want to experience that again

You’re better off watching Season 2 again

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Saalkin posted:

This is way more painful than season 2. Grateful that Issa Lopez can't count to 8 so this is a 6 episode season.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Season 2 had Rachel McAdams which is more than I can say for Season 4

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJdEdk9g2E

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Saalkin posted:

No. This show is full of shoddy craftsmanship. It's firmly in the realm of "not bad enough to be good or interesting again."

I have a friend who worked in towns like this in the Canadian north for many years, and he is aghast at how poorly these communities and the environment is represented on the screen.

My problems are related to the poor craftsmanship I mentioned above. Stuff like the fact that you can only see actor's breaths while they're outside sometimes, and very infrequent. I also think the licensed music is dogshit and does nothing to help the tone or atmosphere of the show.

The asinine nitpick I have for this particular episode is that diagetic white noise Foster's character is listening to while she reviewed files. She pulls out one earbud from her left ear, but the audio from the right track is muted rather than the left. The mirroring probably makes sense to most people, but I loving hated it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

This series is meant to be watched in a mirror, so that you may literally reflect on your poor choices

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Worf posted:

This series is meant to be watched in a mirror, so that you may literally reflect on your poor choices

:shuckyes:

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Navarro: That text you sent said you know where the Night Queen's Ice cave is at, unlock your phone so the freshman can get your location history.

Suspect: I don't know what you coppers are going on about see?

Danvers: Unlock your phone! *Holds phone up to suspect*

Suspect: I got rights under the constitution I'm taking the 5th commandment!

Danvers: Looks like we have to do this the old fashioned way.

Navarro and Captain Danvers start beating the suspect savagely and occasionally pause to yell "Unlock your phone!"

Eventually the suspect relents and starts mashing random numbers on the lock screen until it locks out and begins wiping.

Navarro: This is going to take the freshman hours hours to crack now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Issa “Subverting Expectations” Lopez

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Saalkin posted:

Do not listen to the nitpicky criticism of minutiae from the hoopleheads. The show is fine and it actually doesn't matter if there is or isn't visible breath or if a youngster is able to do something with a phone that an old fogey isn't.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

yeah its fine theyre telling a story

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I remember where I've heard the entire soundtrack to True Detective Season 4 before.

Forever 21, 3 years go.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

huh posted:

Do not listen to the nitpicky criticism of minutiae from the hoopleheads. The show is fine and it actually doesn't matter if there is or isn't visible breath or if a youngster is able to do something with a phone that an old fogey isn't.

This hooplehead insists the myriad of minutiae adds up to a big steaming pile. But I'll keep watching that trash.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

kntfkr posted:

I remember where I've heard the entire soundtrack to True Detective Season 4 before.

Forever 21, 3 years go.

Thought they banned you

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Saganlives posted:

This hooplehead insists the myriad of minutiae adds up to a big steaming pile. But I'll keep watching that trash.

That's the True Detective spirit!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Saalkin posted:

Yes, so far it is quite good. No one is nearly as bad as Farell and Vaughn were, the setting is cool, poo poo is bleak and supernatural. I think it is a return to form after the last two seasons.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you can hear their sound system from the food court!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
So is the season good or bad? Because everyone is just making GBS threads all over it.