Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So why come the robot buddy doesn't pick up any cash, mats, or now the 69 million stone shards that drop everywhere?
At least then it could be somewhat more useful.
You should know by now that Blizzard intentionally delays QOL experiences.

Like, with the exception of gold, I don't think D3 did this until the Altar of Rites which was season 28 of now 30.

They have every intention of adding that feature but probably not for like 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

also they need to build hype for their paid expansions, so some poo poo will be held back just to cram into that

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm sure this is old but logging in for the new season and seeing this:

got me really excited.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

ultrachrist posted:

Wait, what. Why would pen rogue need that bow to come online?

But poison imbue is right there

endgame multiplicative scaling iirc. non issue atm though because fresh 100s can full clear everything without any kind of optimization

also from what i remember when doing builds preseason there's no reason to take poison over cold in season 3. i haven't seen their build though, at lot of their stuff is pretty shaky. lots of stuff like paragon boards connecting in ways they can't, suggesting aspects that can't get triggered by your abilities, text descriptions completely mismatched with the charts they show. d4builds usually has good crowdsourced builds but if you don't already understand all the reasons why you'd take one thing over another, you get no feedback or notes or other way to find answers. game isn't big or loved enough to have a good wiki build site that has its poo poo together

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Have to say, running HotA I picked up a random charge legendary and charging a wave of barb ghosts that murder the entire room is more fun than using the hammer right now

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I swear I keep thinking they break even more quests each season but whenever I look it up it's a bug that already existed but they're all intermittent so you're not guaranteed to encounter them.

Got this idiot quest to attack a goatman corpse so this dipshit can get a better look at the bones and it doesn't work at all this time around.

Last time it was the cannibal quest where they all charge the hideout and break through the door, but they wouldn't. I even reloaded that one like 20 times.

Yeah, I realize quests are pretty much completely unnecessary.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Seems that treasure goblins guarantee a legendary, even at low levels now. At least in my experience. Which is good, because I barely gave a poo poo about them before.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
i think past level 10 or something the legendaries are a guaranteed drop from goblins

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Jelly posted:

Seems that treasure goblins guarantee a legendary, even at low levels now. At least in my experience. Which is good, because I barely gave a poo poo about them before.

One of the changes they gave us last season I believe.
Makes it (kinda)worth going out of your way to chase the little bastards through all the mobs that suddenly want to populate the area.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Jelly posted:

I swear I keep thinking they break even more quests each season

same but with achievements and they're actually breaking them not just long standing bugs. there are two rogue ones that i can't unlock, the imbue one and the NMD one, both broken since the changes they made to them in S2. fun!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This is far down the list of Reasons Why Vaults Suck, but what the hell is up with the Zoltan kulle journal drop rate? Feels like they moved the decimal five or six places too far

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I found the son of malphas in a vault. He had a poo poo ton of hp and dropped garbage loot.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

MJBuddy posted:

Have to say, running HotA I picked up a random charge legendary and charging a wave of barb ghosts that murder the entire room is more fun than using the hammer right now

Ancestral Charge, and yeah, it's kinda nuts. Too bad it's a random drop and not in the Codex, but it's staying on my Double Swing Barb from now on. Charge for room clear, DS / HotA for single targets.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
I got the charge legendary very early and accidentally salvaged it

Rip

Playing a barbarian for the first time and having a blast mostly ignoring season mechanics after the questline

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I've got that sunk cost fallacy thing going. Put a couple of days into a druid and am now 55 and just got pulverise up and running. It's not trivializing everything but it's solid, did a few vaults and am looking at the start of the NMD/glyphs/uniques grind and thinking "do I really want to bother again?"

I wanted to try a barb but figured I'd retry my druid from s0 and see what changed as I did rogue in s1 and necro in s2.

Since everything is bloody player bound and I just farmed a hundred pearls so I don't have to think about them, I really don't want to start over but after all these posts saying how fun barb is...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The pet not being account wide is so dumb. Let it be about, oh, 10x as strong as you level it up and let it carry my alts. If you’re going to need to run 2,000 vaults to max all the tuning stones, don’t expect that anyone will do that multiple times. So little thought went into this season it’s absurd.

Made it to mid50s but don’t think I’m gonna keep going until something changes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It would've been nice if they took a note from Torchlight and let you send your pet to process inventory items at Gatehall. There'd be some balancing inherent in losing the pet for the next 5 minutes or something while you tackle the next dungeon.

That might end up as one of those QoL things that people get pissed about not permanently making it into the base game, though.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Paying2Lurk posted:

Ancestral Charge, and yeah, it's kinda nuts. Too bad it's a random drop and not in the Codex, but it's staying on my Double Swing Barb from now on. Charge for room clear, DS / HotA for single targets.

I'm just going to leave it on my necklace until 40 or so. It's very fun

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kaysette posted:

The pet not being account wide is so dumb. Let it be about, oh, 10x as strong as you level it up and let it carry my alts. If you’re going to need to run 2,000 vaults to max all the tuning stones, don’t expect that anyone will do that multiple times. So little thought went into this season it’s absurd.

Made it to mid50s but don’t think I’m gonna keep going until something changes.

At this point it definitely feels like the best thing to do is wait for a patch rather than waste time grinding for stuff that might not be updated retroactively

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

One of the changes they gave us last season I believe.
Makes it (kinda)worth going out of your way to chase the little bastards through all the mobs that suddenly want to populate the area.

I noticed that too. I'm like hey a treasure goblin! And also triple the mob density all of a sudden!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I cannot figure out why this team is so obsessed with siloing progress to individual characters in almost every way. After the big shocked pikachu reaction to the lilith statues and map progress at launch, I can't believe they're still doubling down on this kind of thing. For every one person you're convincing to drop another 100 hours to redo all their vampire levels/machine pet upgrades/glyphs you're probably losing 50 people when they get bored of a character and cannot be bothered to redo all this poo poo a second time.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
because hours played = ENGAGEMENT => make everything take 5x as long = EVEN MORE ENGAGEMENT!!!!!! ignoring the hard fact that making things take 5x as long is going to make me play 0 hours instead of more

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't know anything about Diablo's code structure, but maybe it's harder to code things to be account-wide than it is to make them per-character?

I'm guessing not that much harder by how quickly they were able to patch things to be account wide after launch.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I see a lot of people using ranged attacks in the robot but I like melee (pummel) with taunt. He can group up packs or block boss attacks. For example, I stood behind him on Elias and the red balls poofed when the hit him. Or on the last room in vaults I stand in a safe spot in the corner while he runs to the middle. I’m also wearing frostburn because I don’t have better gloves and sometimes I kill everything in that room without actually seeing any of them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ultrachrist posted:

I see a lot of people using ranged attacks in the robot but I like melee (pummel) with taunt. He can group up packs or block boss attacks. For example, I stood behind him on Elias and the red balls poofed when the hit him. Or on the last room in vaults I stand in a safe spot in the corner while he runs to the middle. I’m also wearing frostburn because I don’t have better gloves and sometimes I kill everything in that room without actually seeing any of them.

The ranged attacks are basically a trap except for extremely situational ones where you attach a big DoT tuning stone against bosses that require a lot of repositioning.

You're using it the right way. Buffs, debuffs, taunts, and triggering procs are the only things that really have any impact from the robot. Otherwise, you are just overkilling mobs by 99k instead of 98k most of the time.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't know anything about Diablo's code structure, but maybe it's harder to code things to be account-wide than it is to make them per-character?

I'm guessing not that much harder by how quickly they were able to patch things to be account wide after launch.

Account-wide unlocks are base game functionality. Shared stash, shared transmogs, shared materials and currency.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am running a burn fire sorc and added the burning to the robot for another source of burning. Burning. The help he is giving is almost starting to become noticeable at 43.

I am just sort of ~efforting~ by spamming firewall. I don't see myself doing a lot this season, the vaults, lower itemization, lovely pet, and general grind make it much slower and more annoying.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

so I hit 45 on a sorc and I've been doing the chain lightning build from maxroll. I kept running out of mana so I switched to spark and crackling energy instead of stupid arc lash and it's way loving better but it still feels weak as hell.

what's the move with the sorc, I don't wanna reroll but this really isn't doing it for me

how I feel this season

Shredder fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 26, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Just another solved equation in the company itself that the D4 team(or specifically the season 3 design) ignored. Just see every time WoW is alt friendly vs unfriendly.

It'd be great if you had somebody feel compelled to attach to your game so much they level two full characters. 200% engagement. 2000 vaults per character, totally a number anyone can do within 3 months. 90 days, 20+ vaults a day every day... for one... OK, I know the 2k is a theoretical maximum but as soon as it's pointed out it should be slashed to like 200 at most. All these drat games that design for more dedication than training to be an Olympic athlete.

But you can convince many more people to play a handful of alts if they know the efforts of all of them are filling a bucket in small fun bursts. 125%+ engagement across many more people.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 26, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm definitely regretting going for a rogue this season. I usually play necro which is much easier to build tanky and the vaults absolutely reward a character that can just steamroll everything while ignoring the traps. I press my potion button more than most of my abilities

Doomykins posted:

Just another solved equation in the company itself that the D4 team(or specifically the season 3 design) ignored. Just see every time WoW is alt friendly vs unfriendly.

It'd be great if you had somebody feel compelled to attach to your game so much they level two full characters. 200% engagement. 2000 vaults per character, gotta optimize your spider, no shared currency drops.

But you can convince many more people to play a handful of alts if they know the efforts of all of them are filling a bucket. 125%+ engagement across many more people.

Yeah I'd like to reroll and try barbarian but the structure of the season means that I'm just not playing Diablo until they fix it

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 26, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Are we going to get an Amazon or equivalent class? I want a character that hucks javelins and uses a polearm or something. Rogue = Assassin my eyes and I want a beefier more melee-centric class that has some ranged options.

Which reminds me that I am going to miss my Death Blow barb with the Overkill unique Hammer that adds the equivalent of a ranged attack to Death Blow's attack.

MJBuddy posted:

I tried that when they first added it and it was buggy so it sucked, I take it is actually works correctly now?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Tarnop posted:

I'm definitely regretting going for a rogue this season. I usually play necro which is much easier to build tanky and the vaults absolutely reward a character that can just steamroll everything while ignoring the traps. I press my potion button more than most of my abilities

Yeah I'd like to reroll and try barbarian but the structure of the season means that I'm just not playing Diablo until they fix it

did you go bowgue? flurry rogues are tanky as hell.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah I dunno what they were thinking with barb, shits fuckin insane with ancestral charge. popping whole rooms of enemies, charge instantly resetting, one or two tapping bosses. im doing 10-20x the damage of my wife and shes getting annoyed lol, wondering why other stuff is so bad

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

never outdamage your wife

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

doomfunk posted:

did you go bowgue? flurry rogues are tanky as hell.

I did yeah. I wanted to try one out with the buffed keystone passive and bow. I also played a monk in the D3 season and felt like it would invite unfavourable comparisons if I played a melee rogue.

Appreciate the suggestion though, good to know I have a tougher option I can respec to if I get bored of glass cannoning

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doubleswing was a solid leveling build, but it is listed as a top-tier endgame build and doesn't seem to be popping for me at endgame. It works okay, but I'm not feeling like it is performing at an S-Tier level.

Would it be preferable to go back to HotA or is there something I'm missing in terms of playstyle? I'm just following the endgame guide on Maxroll. I'm assuming HotA didn't hit any major nerfs in the last patch that actually impacted effectiveness? Most of the changes seem like it just lowers your overkill amount rather than directly impacting performance. Does that feel like the case?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Name Change posted:

I am running a burn fire sorc and added the burning to the robot for another source of burning. Burning. The help he is giving is almost starting to become noticeable at 43.

I am just sort of ~efforting~ by spamming firewall. I don't see myself doing a lot this season, the vaults, lower itemization, lovely pet, and general grind make it much slower and more annoying.
There was a build last season which relied on the enchantment that autocasts firewall and combining it with an aspect that somehow gave you a chance of casting double firewalls or something. Something to do with meteors or incinerate?

Basically look into ways of using the firewall enchant to autocast it so you don't even have to :f5:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Doubleswing was a solid leveling build, but it is listed as a top-tier endgame build and doesn't seem to be popping for me at endgame. It works okay, but I'm not feeling like it is performing at an S-Tier level.

Would it be preferable to go back to HotA or is there something I'm missing in terms of playstyle? I'm just following the endgame guide on Maxroll. I'm assuming HotA didn't hit any major nerfs in the last patch that actually impacted effectiveness? Most of the changes seem like it just lowers your overkill amount rather than directly impacting performance. Does that feel like the case?
You probably already know this but Wudijo or whatever that bigtime streamer's name is had a really good build he posted a video about and I assume his build is somewhere, no idea if it is on Maxroll or not though.

I personally liked Double Swing as the little buddy to Death Blow on a Walking Arsenal build. Double Swing was a vuln applier and Death Blow was the Big Hitter. I was casually dropping 30m+ crit+overpowers on bitches in S3 with it, and it was a homebrew build that was probably poorly optimized.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I tried a conjuration Sorc this season with Chain Lightning as mana spender. Hydras have no cooldown so that's good. Ice Blades have a 16s cooldown but decrease it themself when attacking a vulnerable enemy. The enchantment also spawns new blades after spending skills with a cooldown sum of 40s.

Then you come to Lightning Spear... 20s base cooldown, you can use an aspect to have a "chance" to spawn a second Spear when you cast it. Then you look at the enchantment and it's "10% chance to spawn a Spear when you pick up Crackling Energy". Best way to get Crackling Energy is the 30% on crit from Chain Lightning.

So they expect you to take your Chain Lightning crit chance, multiply it by 30% and then walk into the monster pack to pick up Crackling Energy, for another 10% chance to get one more Lightning Spear.

Or you open a stream, see a Barb hit the season boss for 54 million, close the stream and uninstall the loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You probably already know this but Wudijo or whatever that bigtime streamer's name is had a really good build he posted a video about and I assume his build is somewhere, no idea if it is on Maxroll or not though.

I personally liked Double Swing as the little buddy to Death Blow on a Walking Arsenal build. Double Swing was a vuln applier and Death Blow was the Big Hitter. I was casually dropping 30m+ crit+overpowers on bitches in S3 with it, and it was a homebrew build that was probably poorly optimized.

Wudijo's no shout Double Swing build for endgame?

I haven't watched the video, but I found it. If that is what you are referencing, then I'll take a look at it when I get home.

Thanks!