Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The problem with Polearm Master is that all of the best greatswords are tailor-made for Lae'zel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
For the shadowheart question I would instead drop the fighter and get her the war caster feat which gives advantage on concentration checks

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Resilient is a half feat so if the constitution score is odd its a good choice.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

To add to the resilience question: to be a total nerd and math it out - advantage adds +3 and a bit to the average result of a D20 roll. Using resilience to bring an odd constitution to even would add proficiency + 1, so it is better from level 5 on.

If getting the con save from a multiclass dip, it'll be slightly worse than war caster up until level 9 where it becomes slightly better.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Stack critical gear on Astarion. You can easily get it down to rolls of 14-15 and up, which with advantage means you're rolling criticals more often than not. Sneak attack gets doubled to 12d6, add a source of pierce vulnerability and he does a lot of damage. If you can get a reaction attack during the enemies' turn that's another sneak attack per round (sentinel and mage slayer work well for this, which you can easily fit in with rogue's 4 feats).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I'll go with resilience then because she doesn't really have much else to use her elixir slot on aside from like bless or vigilance since she doesn't have a bunch of stuff to use extra actions on, doesn't need extra strength, the spirit guardians can't crit, that kind of thing. I could go 17con/16wis/14dex and then pop constitution up to 18 with resilient.

I want to do polearm master because I've already done greatsword GWM a couple times and I want to mix it up. I guess I could also do a dual-wielding melee but I'm not sure if there's a good way to do that when it by necessity requires using your bonus actions which already have plenty of other uses.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Further Reading posted:

To add to the resilience question: to be a total nerd and math it out - advantage adds +3 and a bit to the average result of a D20 roll. Using resilience to bring an odd constitution to even would add proficiency + 1, so it is better from level 5 on.

If getting the con save from a multiclass dip, it'll be slightly worse than war caster up until level 9 where it becomes slightly better.

In 5e absolutely but you’re forgetting that Larian house rules that a 1 even on a concentration check is a crit fail. In normal 5e you would just add your bonus to the 1 and potentially still be fine but in BG3 a 1 is a 1. This, imo, makes war caster more valuable.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I don’t stack crits on Astarion because someone casts Hold. There’s 30 different ways to make I’ll equipped npcs explode.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Black Noise posted:

I don’t stack crits on Astarion because someone casts Hold. There’s 30 different ways to make I’ll equipped npcs explode.

You’ll cowards don’t even stack crit

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I meant ill equipped ILL!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean the game sometimes throws weird gear choices at you but if I found myself with a great alternative build for a character and nothing good for my current conception how their loadout, I'd just spend the 200gp to completely respec them.

Like I building characters even in lovely 5e because this game makes it a blast, there was a point where I was drowning in heavy armor so I respecced Shadowheart appropriately so she could wear it and I threw a level of Paladin on Karlach.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

In 5e absolutely but you’re forgetting that Larian house rules that a 1 even on a concentration check is a crit fail. In normal 5e you would just add your bonus to the 1 and potentially still be fine but in BG3 a 1 is a 1. This, imo, makes war caster more valuable.

Nah, I think Resilient (Con) is still better. Assuming that +1 Con pushes you to a +2 or +3 Con mod, that's Proficiency + 1 which as stated will edge out War Caster past Level 5. A 1 is a 1, sure, but War Caster here is extensively less powerful than in tabletop and if you don't already have Con Save proficiency it's a godsend.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Shumagorath posted:

You’ll cowards don’t even stack crit

Frontrunner for new thread title

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Nope I'm not forgetting it. I'm discounting it because for most of the game a 1 would have failed those anyway.

The minimum DC of a con check is 10. With resilience he's going for 18 which is +4. So he needs an additional +6 for the expanded critical fail to matter. At level 9 proficiency due to resilience maxes at another +4 to a total of +8 so he's still failing at 1 and 2. That's minimum, if more than 20 damage is taken then DC rises.

Sure with the right gear, buffs, a paladin aura and more ASIs into con, etc that DC10 or so auto succeeding does become achievable with such high con. However by the time that falls into place either combat is usually quickly resolved by alpha strikes so they aren't getting hit, or the enemies that can't be alphaed do so much damage that the DC is high enough to reintroduce failures at low numbers so those 1s would have failed anyway.

So TL:DR is that their expanded critical failure houserule probably wouldn't change concentration successes into failures. However rolling two dice is more fun and having more fun can be better than obsessing over average rolls.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What causes the enemies in the self same trial to be invisible and untargetable? This is the second time I’ve done it but I remember last time the same thing happened. Volo eye and faerie fire didn’t help.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Probably illumination like daylight or dancing lights.

Duke Ravenguard can use consumables from your inventory! Noblestalk cures charm! Potion of Speed, a Haste scroll, Fire Resistance Elixir, Invisibility, Blink, Globe of Invulnerability or Dimension Door would also be handy here

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 26, 2024

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What causes the enemies in the self same trial to be invisible and untargetable? This is the second time I’ve done it but I remember last time the same thing happened. Volo eye and faerie fire didn’t help.

Didn't happen for me.

I will say I cheesed it by walking in with Shadowheart solo and no gear equipped, then re-equipped everything before triggering combat

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Black Noise posted:

Probably illumination like daylight or dancing lights.

Duke Ravenguard can use consumables from your inventory! Noblestalk cures charm! Potion of Speed, a Haste scroll, Fire Resistance Elixir, Invisibility, Blink, Globe of Invulnerability or Dimension Door would also be handy here

Tried dancing lights. Didn’t do anything. Had to use area spells because physical stuff like slashing flourish, or ranged attacks were registering as misses every time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Didn't happen for me.

I will say I cheesed it by walking in with Shadowheart solo and no gear equipped, then re-equipped everything before triggering combat

I killed them honourably by sneaking around the side and ambushing them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Further Reading posted:

Nope I'm not forgetting it. I'm discounting it because for most of the game a 1 would have failed those anyway.

The minimum DC of a con check is 10. With resilience he's going for 18 which is +4. So he needs an additional +6 for the expanded critical fail to matter. At level 9 proficiency due to resilience maxes at another +4 to a total of +8 so he's still failing at 1 and 2. That's minimum, if more than 20 damage is taken then DC rises.

Sure with the right gear, buffs, a paladin aura and more ASIs into con, etc that DC10 or so auto succeeding does become achievable with such high con. However by the time that falls into place either combat is usually quickly resolved by alpha strikes so they aren't getting hit, or the enemies that can't be alphaed do so much damage that the DC is high enough to reintroduce failures at low numbers so those 1s would have failed anyway.

So TL:DR is that their expanded critical failure houserule probably wouldn't change concentration successes into failures. However rolling two dice is more fun and having more fun can be better than obsessing over average rolls.

Also there's an elixir that gives you advantage to concentration saves, there's not one to give a flat +4. I do have two +1s currently from a cloak and a helmet so with proficiency and 18con it would be +9, +10 once I hit level 9 but I'm currently at 7. I think I'll respec soonish, I also need to respec lae'zel because I just realized I never did fix her lovely default stat spread.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Mendrian posted:

I mean the game sometimes throws weird gear choices at you but if I found myself with a great alternative build for a character and nothing good for my current conception how their loadout, I'd just spend the 200gp to completely respec them.

Like I building characters even in lovely 5e because this game makes it a blast, there was a point where I was drowning in heavy armor so I respecced Shadowheart appropriately so she could wear it and I threw a level of Paladin on Karlach.

I did that with Shadowheart too. Hard to break her concentration when you can't hit her.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
A while ago, I asked this thread about simple and effective midgame melee DPS builds that don't require multi-classing. I was told I missed a critical item for a throwing-specialized Barbarian in Act 1 and won't find a comparable one until Act 3, and was recommended a throwing-specialized Eldritch Knight. Thing is, I tried building one as suggested, and its damage sucks. I've tested it out in four different fights, and the recommended Charge-Bound Warhammer seems to do a static 5 damage per throw, which is abysmally low. I'm not sure what to do from here. Is there something critical I'm missing, or should I seek an alternative?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Forsythia posted:

A while ago, I asked this thread about simple and effective midgame melee DPS builds that don't require multi-classing. I was told I missed a critical item for a throwing-specialized Barbarian in Act 1 and won't find a comparable one until Act 3, and was recommended a throwing-specialized Eldritch Knight. Thing is, I tried building one as suggested, and its damage sucks. I've tested it out in four different fights, and the recommended Charge-Bound Warhammer seems to do a static 5 damage per throw, which is abysmally low. I'm not sure what to do from here. Is there something critical I'm missing, or should I seek an alternative?

Did you take Tavern Brawler feat and pump str?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Forsythia posted:

If you want a throwing build with an Eldritch Knight, you need to look for weapons with "Thrown" in the description, otherwise you only get your strength bonus + damage based on the weapon's weight.

For Act II: The weapon you're looking for is "Lightning Jabber", and it drops from a bunch of cursed Kuo-Toa. Go to the Grand Mausoleum entrance, near where you talk to Raphael. Go to the right of the entrance, passed the small graveyard, and down some climbable cliffs to a small fishing shack. There's a fight here, and two enemies will drop the weapon.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Forsythia posted:

Don’t throw weapons. Throw your opponents. Preferably on each other.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
On the other hand you can get Karlach a cruise missile in early Act 3 that slaps so hard you have to stand back…

…nope, keep going.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Oh yeah, I made sure to grab Tavern Brawler and crank up the Fighter's strength stat. So the problem was that I was recommended a weapon that doesn't actually scale with throwing? Good to know, I'm so unfamiliar with DnD's systems I didn't catch that.

I just actually got the Lightning Jabber. So if I bind that as an Eldritch Knight's pact weapon, I can throw it infinitely for decent reliable ranged damage? If that is indeed how it works, is there anything else basic that I need to know about how to make this build and weapon work well?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Forsythia posted:

Oh yeah, I made sure to grab Tavern Brawler and crank up the Fighter's strength stat. So the problem was that I was recommended a weapon that doesn't actually scale with throwing? Good to know, I'm so unfamiliar with DnD's systems I didn't catch that.

I just actually got the Lightning Jabber. So if I bind that as an Eldritch Knight's pact weapon, I can throw it infinitely for decent reliable ranged damage? If that is indeed how it works, is there anything else basic that I need to know about how to make this build and weapon work well?

There's a ring and a pair of gloves that increase throwing damage, but other than that you're set.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Waiting for the download to finish and wondering what kind of Bard to play as with Gloomstalker Astarion, Life Cleric Shadowheart, and Bear Wildheart Karlach. Lore or Sword? Or maybe make Astarion be the Bard and I play the Gloomstalker?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Sword bard is the ideal tav imo.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I found the owlbear cub in the goblin camp and did the same thing I did with Patches where I let it smell me and the narrator said it would go to my camp

Then I killed everyone by spiking the punch and murdered the leaders

Now I'm in the underdark post grove resolution and Patches is here but not the owlbear cub

What have I missed/done wrong?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
If both sword bard and gloomstalker are both dual wield ranged builds what would be a good melee respect for Astarion?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beasteh posted:

I found the owlbear cub in the goblin camp and did the same thing I did with Patches where I let it smell me and the narrator said it would go to my camp

Now I'm in the underdark post grove resolution and Patches is here but not the owlbear cub

Kill absolutely every hostile goblin, including the sleeping ones on top of the ruins. Then after a few rests it should show up. Seems like it has lower priority than companion or tadpole events though so you may need to get those out of the way if you've been putting off long rests.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shyfted One posted:

If both sword bard and gloomstalker are both dual wield ranged builds what would be a good melee respect for Astarion?

Sword bard. It’s the best base for a ranged build and the best base for a non great weapon melee build. Gloomstalker cannot begin to compare - I made an effort post a while back breaking down the damage differences between the build.

Take 2 levels of paladin and 2 levels of fighter to optimise the melee build; take 2 levels of spore Druid and 4 levels of fighter to optimise the ranged build.

The melee build gets +2 dex and savage attacks for feats, the ranged build gets +2 dex and sharpshooter.

Dual wield both melee and ranged weapons with the melee build, with the ranged build you’ll eventually prefer a normal bow, but you can either dual wield or go duelist with the melee weapons

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Beasteh posted:

You have to do a long rest in that main act 1 map.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beasteh posted:

Likely not enough long rests. I had it show up halfway through the underdark after most of mountain pass, after what I assume are higher priority story beats happened before it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For me I never get the owlcub scene until after I progress into the Mountain Pass. Do a long rest there and it should pop up.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Cool thanks for the replies. I want my special little guys for Karlach drat it

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

You have to do a long rest in that main act 1 map.

People just say anything with full confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Way up thread another goon said that when they get a camp event for a long rest they'd immediately do a partial rest to see if any other events trigger. If you do that you'll eventually get the cutscenes. There's a couple of them.