Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
So what you're telling me is Alastor is Eric from Zero Time Dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If he is behind all of it, sure!

Episodes Five and Six are up.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 26, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ok, I like Lucifer already and Jeremy Jordan was an inspired casting choice (glad he got a couple songs too). We get some Alastor (and a bit of Charlie) backstory as well

Kind of curious what Lilith’s like now (haven’t seen episode 6 yet but Vaggie’s reaction at the end also seems to add more credence to the fallen angel theory)

Edit: And episode 6 confirms it, nice

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 26, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
poo poo happens.

Episode 5:
Lucifer is truly the awkward parent unsure how to connect with his daughter. He and Lilith split? Explains why he seems so alone, she was probably the only thing helping him after being crushed by Heaven. That still weighs on him and seeing all the evil has clearly wrecked him. You gotta love his duck fondness. Alastor's eye twitching as he showed up at the Hotel clearly tells a tale, he hated him. Then we learn thanks to Husk later Alastor is on a leash? Speculation: Oh yeah, he and Lilith definitely fought and Alastor lost. Is she using him for something? Were they trapped somewhere? We have questions! We got a good reminder Alastor really isn't nice, he was a serial killer. And we end with Lucifer coming through enabling Charlie with Vags to go to Heaven!

Episode 6:
Heaven didn't suck? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Did anyone else expect a more rigid society with stern laws and rules? I was. Okay, it kinda did suck. We saw it was arbitrary at best who gets in or not. None of the angels knew what really got someone in or not. We see Adam and Lute (without the helmet no less) there so there goes the theory they live elsewhere or are different from other angels. What we did get confirmed was the Vaggie theory! She's an Angel! Formerly. Still is? Whatever. She was an exterminator until she couldn't kill a demon kid for which she lost the eye, had her throat cut? I thought she did, might have to rewatch that. Okay on a rewatch it was her wings? The animation on that is kinda wonky perspective wise. Thanks to Charlie she survived. Adam and Lute are stick dicks, Sera knew what was going on in Hell and was keeping it quiet. Not everyone knew it though, as the other big angel who is actually a small little angel named Emelie had no idea and isn't happy. She's clearly going to help, and likely fall due to it. We got to see the rest of the gang bonding on a night out! Angel considers the other his friends and he cares! They actually value one another. One month until extermination.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 26, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like that Lucifer isn’t evil (in fact he’s actually a pretty good dad in most respects), just a bit understandably depressed/jaded. We’ll be seeing more of him going forward so I look forward to that.

Now I kind of wonder what Satan’s like since they’re apparently two separate beings in this universe (I imagine him being a bit more hardcore at least what with being the Sin of Wrath and all)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a ton of great stuff in these episodes. The song between Alastor and Lucifer is a ton of fun. Honestly I'm now even more curious than ever what Alastor's endgame is. Like it feels obvious to me that he's helping with the hotel because of Lilith in some way, but what's his endgame overall outside of whatever deal he made with her (I'm assuming)? What did he want out of hell before the hotel? I have a feeling he's not on Lilith's leash, but someone else's but who?

Loved seeing Heaven. Loved seeing more of Adam and Lute. Adam is one of my favorite characters and I love that Lute is all in on Adam's whole deal. Really enjoy that there's a version of Charlie in heaven and I'm excited for when the two of them work together because there's no way that isn't going to be a thing. I'm interested in seeing the people above Sera, god especially, because it seems like if Sera wasn't so scared of her daughter being sent to hell for speaking out against heaven, she'd absolutely agree that redemption is possible.

Anyway fanartist's pencils are burning already (mine is too) because there's so much new stuff introduced in these episodes, I'm sure they don't even know where to begin.

Also there HAS to be an episode where all the Sins show up on Helluva Boss because episode 5 drove home the ringleader of a circus thing with his little circus tent... dimension?? and I think it'd be extremely strange to not have them show up alongside Lucifer at least once.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

I like that Lucifer isn’t evil (in fact he’s actually a pretty good dad in most respects), just a bit understandably depressed/jaded. We’ll be seeing more of him going forward so I look forward to that.

Now I kind of wonder what Satan’s like since they’re apparently two separate beings in this universe (I imagine him being a bit more hardcore at least what with being the Sin of Wrath and all)

Not a spoiler but responding to the above so will put it in tags anyways.

Depends on what you believe there can be Satan, the devil, Lucifer and the beast. Some say they are all the same. Some say two or three of them are. Or are each of them their own thing? Or maybe it's merely what people thought are the same being, let's face it, lots of people that claim to read the bible sure as hell don't even know. And the whole physical description of the devil/satan was taken from a Pagan god. You know, the whole hooves and horns thing, yeah Christianity got that from the Pagans. They wanted to crush that system of belief so moved Jesus birthday to December 25th which shocker of shockers, was the Pagans grand holiday. Talk about dick moves by making your own devil the literal description of someon elses God, also steal that day of celebration. No one actually knows Christ true birthday, it could have been any time between summer up untl some time in December. There's been debate about it. And that's if you actually believe it happened at all.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

The Last Call posted:

She's clearly going to help, and likely fall due to it.

I am pretty sure she's not the one that's going to fall here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

There's a ton of great stuff in these episodes. The song between Alastor and Lucifer is a ton of fun. Honestly I'm now even more curious than ever what Alastor's endgame is. Like it feels obvious to me that he's helping with the hotel because of Lilith in some way, but what's his endgame overall outside of whatever deal he made with her (I'm assuming)? What did he want out of hell before the hotel? I have a feeling he's not on Lilith's leash, but someone else's but who?

Loved seeing Heaven. Loved seeing more of Adam and Lute. Adam is one of my favorite characters and I love that Lute is all in on Adam's whole deal. Really enjoy that there's a version of Charlie in heaven and I'm excited for when the two of them work together because there's no way that isn't going to be a thing. I'm interested in seeing the people above Sera, god especially, because it seems like if Sera wasn't so scared of her daughter being sent to hell for speaking out against heaven, she'd absolutely agree that redemption is possible.

Anyway fanartist's pencils are burning already (mine is too) because there's so much new stuff introduced in these episodes, I'm sure they don't even know where to begin.

Also there HAS to be an episode where all the Sins show up on Helluva Boss because episode 5 drove home the ringleader of a circus thing with his little circus tent... dimension?? and I think it'd be extremely strange to not have them show up alongside Lucifer at least once.

If so I’m hoping they can get Kesha back as Bee then, but yeah I would not be surprised at all if Lucifer makes an appearance in HB at the very least (and we’ll most likely see the rest of the Sins there before they ever show up in Hazbin since as of now we’ve only got 3 left unaccounted for)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also two visual things I really enjoyed.

Lucifer pulling out a golden fiddle and playing it with a scowl on his face, and Charlie having each egg boi on her phone as separate contacts

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Adder Moray posted:

I am pretty sure she's not the one that's going to fall here.

Despite what the speed of this season may suggest we got many more seasons to go so I can't see things getting resolved so quick in a good way. Got to be a struggle to drive the storyline. For those wondering, the VA's are back in studio recording season two right now.

Macaluso posted:

Also two visual things I really enjoyed.

Lucifer pulling out a golden fiddle and playing it with a scowl on his face, and Charlie having each egg boi on her phone as separate contacts

Those were great!

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

The Last Call posted:

Despite what the speed of this season may suggest we got many more seasons to go so I can't see things getting resolved so quick in a good way. Got to be a struggle to drive the storyline. For those wondering, the VA's are back in studio recording season two right now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Whether or not the hotel can work is something that needs to be settled by the end of the first season. Otherwise, the show is just spinning its wheels. There are plenty of conflicts left to deal with after answering that question, especially if Angel Dust, a soul ostensibly owned by an overlord, is the first one out. There are quite a few swords hanging over everything as is, the most obvious one being Alastor who, to me, clearly seems like the end game villain.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Whether or not the hotel can work is something that needs to be settled by the end of the first season. Otherwise, the show is just spinning its wheels. There are plenty of conflicts left to deal with after answering that question, especially if Angel Dust, a soul ostensibly owned by an overlord, is the first one out. There are quite a few swords hanging over everything as is, the most obvious one being Alastor who, to me, clearly seems like the end game villain.

I will say this I am very VERY relieved to see some proper nuance given to heaven in that there are genuinely good people and angels up there who are completely ignorant as to what's being going on down there and naturally are not happy about it. I also strongly suspect that Angel will be properly redeemed but ultimately choose to stick around and help other souls get up there because he genuinely doesn't want to leave his friends behind. Become hotel staff essentially.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Learning that even Alastor has a master out there is an interesting wrinkle (it's either Lilith or someone we don't know about yet), I assume that has something to do with why he was so eager to help with the hotel and why he has so much stake in it currently.

I can definitely see him turning on Charlie later once he fulfills whatever his true goal is however

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

My guess is Angel is going to try to save someone in the hotel, or maybe even that new angel girl, from being killed from Valentino. He'll save her in a way that would sacrifice himself, and get redemption because he'd be willing to give his life to save another person. He could suddenly get a new form and he'd get his soul back and maybe even end up killing Valentino (or someone would). I think killing him would set up the Vees as a primary antagonist for next season as well.

This is all just basically fanfiction at this point, just trying to guess obviously, but I have a feeling that Angel's redemption is going to be caused inadvertently by Valentino. Also while I think the name "Angel Dust" was picked long before Viv had any idea for a what the story would be, I also don't think it's a coincidence that the first season seems to be focusing on a character literally named Angel as the first character to possibly get redeemed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice to see Cherri again as well, guess Sera isn’t God after all since even she has a boss (the Vaggie theory was right in the money though).

I’m glad there’s some nuance and not everyone in Heaven is as bad as Adam and Lute (just like there’s some good demons down in Hell). Angel’s definitely going to be the first one out (good to see him finally stand up to Val as well) and Emily’s fully on Charlie’s side now as well so I look forward to seeing where that goes.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 26, 2024

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
These two episodes did a much better job of bringing me into the show than the first four. It's really coming together.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Adam is a dick.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Man do I love the angel designs in this show. Episode 6 semi-spoilers: When Sera gets upset and all the eyes come out, and even Emily's angry design. We saw that a bit with Angel's spots/eyes, but it's just so "biblically accurate" while still being emotive. Adam's design is great but boring and ugly comparatively.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

LegionAreI posted:

Man do I love the angel designs in this show. Episode 6 semi-spoilers: When Sera gets upset and all the eyes come out, and even Emily's angry design. We saw that a bit with Angel's spots/eyes, but it's just so "biblically accurate" while still being emotive. Adam's design is great but boring and ugly comparatively.

Oh my god the Angel designs are loving magnificent--some of the best I've seen. Angel's sister Molly is also present in the background of the welcome to heaven song and she's also a spider.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A shame that the season is already set to wrap up next week but based on what I’m hearing it sounds like the second won’t be too far behind and there’ll be plenty more where that came from (kind of hope the next one has more episodes though, especially if they’re going to continue to release them at a rate of 2 at a time)

Obviously Charlie’s going to forgive Vaggie but there’s definitely going to be some words between them next episode. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Charlie’s little rebellion in the season finale just grants them a temporary reprieve rather than solving the Executioner plotline completely (the show’s still young after all)

Adam and/or Lute getting cast into Hell would be some delicious irony but I’d honestly rather they just kill the bastards straight out (might be a good excuse to see Charlie go full demon after the brief demonstration we saw in Val’s studio last week)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 26, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
God Val is such a loving rear end in a top hat.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

a neat cape posted:

God Val is such a loving rear end in a top hat.

Also possibly a lore drop but Mimzy has Mammon's mark tattooed on her shoulder blade and she's constantly getting into trouble with Greed's loan sharks. I wonder if the implications from that will come home to roost.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Ep. 5: I loved Lucifer being an endearing sad sack, especially his coming through for Charlie after setting aside his own baggage. The accusation of Alastor being on a leash is interesting... one would assume bound to Lilith, though the exact nature of that will be interesting to see. Either subjugated after he turned his sights on her or, worse, fallen in love? The latter would explain both the competition with Lucifer and the reason for his helping out.

I really wish the show got a bigger budget, because KeeKee, Fat Nuggets, and Razzle and Dazzle deserve more screen time. Really need a goat and a pig bound in matrimony now and forever.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ep. 5: I loved Lucifer being an endearing sad sack, especially his coming through for Charlie after setting aside his own baggage. The accusation of Alastor being on a leash is interesting... one would assume bound to Lilith, though the exact nature of that will be interesting to see. Either subjugated after he turned his sights on her or, worse, fallen in love? The latter would explain both the competition with Lucifer and the reason for his helping out.

I really wish the show got a bigger budget, because KeeKee, Fat Nuggets, and Razzle and Dazzle deserve more screen time. Really need a goat and a pig bound in matrimony now and forever.

I think the Alastor thing comes down to Whether or not she and Lucifer parted ways on good terms.

If she left as part of some grand and good scheme, I'd guess that it is him hating Lucy by proxy. If on the other hand the two are done then I can totally see her being a bad guy with Alastor twisted around her finger, adding to why he hates Lucifer so much.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Every song in this show has hit HARD

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

awww look who's taking notice

https://catholicreview.org/television-review-hazbin-hotel/

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

That gave me a good laugh!

Here you think they'd praise the whole trying to redeem sinners.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Completely unshocking that they miss the entire premise of the show and judge the poo poo out of all of it. Man this writer is going to heaven super hard.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

The Last Call posted:

Here you think they'd praise the whole trying to redeem sinners.
Salvation can only be found through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The most abhorrent sinner may find a path to heaven through Jesus, but no amount of self-correction can save the sinner who refuses God's hand. And everyone is a sinner.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Salvation can only be found through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The most abhorrent sinner may find a path to heaven through Jesus, but no amount of self-correction can save the sinner who refuses God's hand. And everyone is a sinner.

I'm sure this doesn't lead to massive issues in these communities regarding domestic violence.

Also it's delightful that the right people are noticing and getting pissed off.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Adam is a dick.

Excuse me, he is the DickMaster

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Last Call posted:

The always smiling aspect is part of his character. He believes a person not showing a smile no matter what is a sign of weakness.

The only time I can imagine him not having one is if he's getting hurt.

I do wonder if one reason he's aiding Charlie is that he respects her for smiling almost as much as he does. And almost for the same reasons, really.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Oh drat, Lute's VA is Jessica Vosk. I saw her twice on Broadway as Elphaba in Wicked. She rocks

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like how Lute and Adam are awful together.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
New theory and it might explain a thing or two.

We’ve jumped to the conclusion Alastor fought Lilith and it’s why they both vanished for seven years. Instead, I propose a different scenario.

Lilith was the one who first empowered Alastor in a deal. Freedom to have his murderous fun for some centuries. In return? He had to serve her when called, first she sent him out to kill various Overlords who had proven problematic or might be in the future. Ones that had done her or her family wrong, that and they might have spoken out against a certain little idea that got tossed around now and then.

War with Heaven.

Lilith was the one who became the big bad in charge of hell, would she ever forget Heaven tried to put her with Adam, I mean, come on that’s almost worth revenge in itself. It was bad enough Heaven had cast her and Lucifer down ruining what made him so amazing to her, she had made something of Hell, Yet, was that enough to push her? My thought is no. Then came the slaughters. She began to put things into motions behind the scene. Still, she held off, she was worried about losing what she had, including her family.

My bet is he at one point Adam with Lute attacked Lilith. She’s not Hellborne, technically she is the first sinner. That would mean she’s fair game, or even if not, we all seen how Adam is. You know he would try for her at some point. They fought and he ran, probably ended up with a screwed-up face, hence why he’s always wearing the demon mask and horns.

She was fully invested now; troops might not be a problem but how to kill an angel? No one had done it. Until Carmine did, the one with the weapons, the one that makes all the fun little guns and bombs and things that kill. She’s working for Lilith, had been for centuries, Carmine used whatever they came up with to kill the angel when it came for her and her daughters during the cleansing by random chance. They were sinners, they were fair game. It’s one reason Carmine might be so nervous and worried unwilling to tell even Zestiel the truth. It throws everything into jeopardy. Someone might find out, bad enough one of the vee’s suspected.

Final planning is why Alastor is back, he’s supposed to get some things ready, make a few deals, spy on the other overlords, you know all that fun stuff. Then he discovers by chance Liliths daughter is trying to do this noble and good thing. The fool. He can use this, use Charlie’s naivety, take down Lilith and get free of his leash. He’s had his fun, now he wants to run wild. Only he needs a way to deal with Lilith, what better way than through Charlie?

Some of the details might not be exactly right, but I believe it went something like that.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I feel like this season might have needed a couple more episodes after episode 6 rather than just the two we are getting, it feels like a big midseason episode that would need a bit more time to react to from the cast than just the one episode between it and the season finale. Unless one or both of the last two episodes are longer than usual, which could be possible with streaming shows I suppose.

I think regardless of whether or not the younger seraphim falls, she'll be helping Charlie with the hotel in the next season, either from a distance and by occasionally visiting or becoming hotel staff. I would guess she falls intentionally (maybe doing the exact opposite of everything on Adam's list in heaven), and Sera gets turbo-mad at Adam and makes him+exterminators fall too, but we'll see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The meeting in Heaven felt like it struck a massive blow to Charlie’s confidence though (Angel did everything right and still got rejected and there were a couple times where Charlie looked about a stone’s throw away from completely losing it) as it seems like even Sera is on a leash of some kind (which doesn’t make whoever the equivalent of God actually is look that great in my opinion)

Emily is definitely going to jump ship and help Charlie though even if it costs her her title. In any case, I look forward to seeing the fallout from all this next week

Looking forward to seeing what Lilith’s like eventually as well as it seems likely she’s the one holding Alastor’s leash (but at the same time her profile says she hates subservience)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 26, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Honestly I think the biggest missing thing is that nobody pointed out that Angel's few good deeds do not negate a lifetime, and after-lifetime, of bad. He's improving, but that doesn't mean he would have "balanced the ledger" so to speak. None of which Sera or Adam particularly care to explore, but I suspect redemption might require performing an equal amount of good as you have done bad, not just a few signs of improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As others have mentioned I wouldn’t be surprised if Angel sacrifices himself to save one of his friends during the upcoming raid on the hotel and earns his wings that way (though he still might choose to stick around anyway to help the others)

Also Charlie’s got two (three counting her dad) angels on her side now (though things with Vaggie might be a little awkward at first) which should give them an edge against the Exterminators