Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Monkey Fracas posted:

best part of Funny People is the fake lowest-common-denominator dipshit comedy movie trailers

made more entertaining in retrospect by the fact that Jack and Jill is essentially one of these

and the fake lowest common denominator stand up just became aziz ansari's actual act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Funny People started strong but petered out when it got to Leslie Mann and Eric Bana.

Movie was just too long, and a bit too unfocused. I liked the premise though and Sandler didn't bother me

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1750669926816182408

movies are back

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

That is just a fleshlight

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

That is just a fleshlight

No its also a fleshlight

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Young men have been sticking their dicks in popcorn for decades, now it'll feel good without the date.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Do we have confirmation that those radial ridge things in its mouth are rubber and you stick your hand through it to get the popcorn please confirm

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
American Godzilla: whitewashes nukes, is dull and boring

Japanese Godzilla: talks a bunch out loud without metaphor about how the Japanese government did not value their own people's lives during the war, good as hell the whole time.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Do we have confirmation that those radial ridge things in its mouth are rubber and you stick your hand through it to get the popcorn please confirm

Nope, you put your dick in it

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
*stumbles in, breathless*

Did you guys see the Dune 2 Popcorn bu....

Okay, ya did, carry on.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I'd like to put the duplas brothers in a big jar and watch them slowly asphyxiate

that's pretty cruel and hosed up.

yeah me too

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I thought that Charlize Theron movie with Mark Duplas was okay. The one that’s basically Fight Club for tired moms

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I'd like to put the duplas brothers in a big jar and watch them slowly asphyxiate

I'd like to see them put into like 200 regular sized jars.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poisonpill posted:

I thought that Charlize Theron movie with Mark Duplas was okay. The one that’s basically Fight Club for tired moms

Fight mom

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Please don't post my search history

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched the zone of interest

well, I can't really call it good. it was well made and well executed and well structured, but I did not enjoy myself at all. which I guess is the point. certainly, this was a film directed by the under the skin guy

now I need something comfy to watch so I'm probably going to get a ticket for the holdovers if I can

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kalel posted:

watched the zone of interest

well, I can't really call it good. it was well made and well executed and well structured, but I did not enjoy myself at all. which I guess is the point. certainly, this was a film directed by the under the skin guy

now I need something comfy to watch so I'm probably going to get a ticket for the holdovers if I can
I loved Under the Skin, so I have high hopes for The Zone of Interest.

The Holdovers is definitely a comfy movie. It's really good!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh hey, Madame Web is coming out on Valentine's Day. That makes sense, it's got superheroes and the 50 Shades of Grey lady, it's got a wide appeal. Could be a good date movie.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

oh hey, Madame Web is coming out on Valentine's Day. That makes sense, it's got superheroes and the 50 Shades of Grey lady, it's got a wide appeal. Could be a good date movie.

Also because the theater will be empty and you can fool around in the back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You enjoy torturing your dates with bad Sony films?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I am speaking purely theoretically.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Lister posted:

Also because the theater will be empty and you can fool around in the back.
hehe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Wasn’t there some Tina Fey project in the works or was that just the mean girls revival? I want more 30 rock style stuff.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is pretty drat 30 Rock in its tone and jokes per minute

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbgUnMa8_R4

Just came across these and they are the best way to watch TNG.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PostNouveau posted:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is pretty drat 30 Rock in its tone and jokes per minute

I liked the first season but then in the second it sort of lost a lot of the funny I found. Also I found by that point it had way too much Carol Kane who I can really only take in small doses.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbgUnMa8_R4

Just came across these and they are the best way to watch TNG.

This has remained my favorite even after the hundreds that channel has made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgPy2kU9nEk

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Pen Expers posted:

lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pen Expers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYMfwBGveMg

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sir Lemming posted:

The Barbie drama is frustrating because it seems to have devolved entirely into "because this movie is good, it should have a nomination in every category it could possibly be nominated in". But movies and performances can be good for different reasons. Supporting acting is different from lead acting. It doesn't mean Margot was less good than Gosling or whatever, it could just mean it's not really a "lead actor" sort of movie/role.

But people won't let that stop them of course, it's all about the thing you like winning the most awards.

a lot of the people online crying foul over Barbie snubs have never seen Ladybird (and didn’t go see it after seeing Barbie), probably won’t ever see Ladybird, and sure as poo poo wouldn’t go to a movie theater to see Ladybird.

If they’re 30 or younger then that’s arguably forgivable but it also scares me because I think we’re really seeing the effects of ~15 years of Marvel and “event movie” ubiquity.

Some of these young people have quite literally like never seen a good movie in a theater. So the one time that the media hype machine spits out a billion dollar blockbuster that actually has pretensions toward some kind of substance or message that isn’t like “FAMILY IS GOOD. I LIKE FAMILY. FAMILY CAN BE RELATED TO YOU OR YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR OWN FAMILY, LIKE PETER QUILL DID” and it successfully gets them to go out and see it, it blows their loving minds and they’re convinced it’s the alpha and omega of feminist cinema.

But it’s the people over 30 doing this that really scare me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arc Hammer posted:

don’t kinkshame

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
“Those darn kids never seen a good movie in the theater” is such an old man sentiment but….yeah the fuckin millennials never go and see the good movies, it’s whole annihilation and blade runner 2 and other masterpieces loving tanked

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They’re all on their TikToks!!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Monkey Fracas posted:

they missed a chance to do the Corn Jabbar

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Every year there should be a movie that is just TikToked clips of good movies that flopped. The summary of a movie done in about 30 seconds with zooms and robot voices and boom sound effects and poo poo. Just movie after movie until the year’s tragic flops have been covered.

It will be the highest grossing film each year

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm a millennial and saw Fury Road in theaters. Cinema is fine.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Gutcruncher posted:

“Those darn kids never seen a good movie in the theater” is such an old man sentiment but….yeah the fuckin millennials never go and see the good movies, it’s whole annihilation and blade runner 2 and other masterpieces loving tanked

Millennial is not synonymous with "young person". I'm a millennial and I'm well over two third of the way to dead. Zoomers grew up during IP/brand dominance and will pledge their allegiance to a copyright holder rather than an artist.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

“Those darn kids never seen a good movie in the theater” is such an old man sentiment but….yeah the fuckin millennials never go and see the good movies,

Maybe somebody should make some!,!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

The upper age range on millennials is 42 loving years old, dude.

FAKE EDIT: It's actually 43 now!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Every reason theaters are dying has an exponential effect on less franchise-based movies. It's already a big ask to get younger audiences to spend a lot of money on a ticket to go somewhere at a certain time and watch a movie with annoying strangers with no guarantee that the visual or audio quality will even be as good as what they can get at home in about a month. And of course the only answer theaters seem to have is "well if less people are coming we have to make it even more expensive" so it's no surprise you only get MCU movies... and now those aren't making money either, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Movies from last year that are worth seeing in theaters: Thr Boy and the Heron; Barbie; Oppenheimer

Basically anything with solid visual storytelling. I mean, RIP to everyone who missed Bladerunner 2049 or Mad Max in theaters, but it’s not like Poor Things looks any worse on a 72” high def screen with a speaker system.

And for adults, a bigger problem than the cost of going to the movies is the time. It’s like a four hour proposition by the time you factor in travel, previews, and talking to the cops after you’re discovered with your Dune popcorn bowl in the back row