Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sometimes you guys make me glad I haven’t followed football for relatively as long as you fuckers have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Sometimes you guys make me glad I haven’t followed football for relatively as long as you fuckers have

the amount of psychic damage the NFC north minus Green Bay has sustained is loving hilarious. the rage and despair the calvin johnson rule caused was the stuff a wizard would want to bottle to use as a weapon. Sexy Rexy, Vikings wasting Culpepper, Scott Mitchell, Barry and Calvin retiring, Randy Moss, its a never ending carnival ride of wild rear end nonsense

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’ve been around for 40 1/2 years of Lions nonsense.

It’s a miracle i’ve still got a full head of hair and none of it has turned gray.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I've been a fan for 7 years, from 3,000 miles away, and I've only started going grey during that time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've been a Lions fans since maybe 1990, but was only able to really follow the team with widespread internet which also coincided with the second Marty Mornhinweg in 2002 with the "take the wind" game. I can also remember a ridiculously deserved scathing column from Drew Sharp about the 9-7 win against the Cowboys

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Thank you Ted Wolf and Brian Gutekunst for allowing stability. Amen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My dad took me to nearly every Lions home game from 2001 through 2006, which is borderline child abuse.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hearing good things about this guy

https://twitter.com/slaternfl/status/1750889664666308692

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Just when I thought I was out on coaching chat they drag me back in

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DMRussini/status/1750890297389625800

:rubby:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Although I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the DC who has up close experience every week of the only offense in the Division the Bears seemingly can't stop at all.

Since he won't be calling plays.

But lmao.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Joe Barry working his way through the entire NFC North

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1750893261340680398

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

CharlestheHammer posted:

Joe Barry working his way through the entire NFC North

If he gets the job both he and Ed Donatell will have worked for 3/4 teams, I assume doing a lovely job at every stop

vvv Mike Pettine, too :eyepop:

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 26, 2024

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dexo posted:

Although I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the DC who has up close experience every week of the only offense in the Division the Bears seemingly can't stop at all.

Since he won't be calling plays.

But lmao.

How’d that work with Mike Pettine?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Donatell was a good positional coach.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Has any player or coach made the full tour of the division? The only 3/4 I can think of off the top of my head is Riley Reiff.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

tinstaach posted:

Has any player or coach made the full tour of the division? The only 3/4 I can think of off the top of my head is Riley Reiff.

Google turned up a Reddit post about this. It seems J.T. O'Sullivan made the full tour, though he was on the Bears practice squad only

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the amount of psychic damage the NFC north minus Green Bay has sustained is loving hilarious. the rage and despair the calvin johnson rule caused was the stuff a wizard would want to bottle to use as a weapon. Sexy Rexy, Vikings wasting Culpepper, Scott Mitchell, Barry and Calvin retiring, Randy Moss, its a never ending carnival ride of wild rear end nonsense

ya fuckin deserve it

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

So I finally got a chance to watch Caleb "tape". I will say that I've firmly moved off of keeping Fields ar any cost. I get it. Dude is the truth. I'll be happy with whatever the Bears choose to do, which is a nice spot to be in.

I'm also halfway through watching the 2022 Seattle offense and I am really excited about Waldron. His offense just makes sense. Do you know how nice it is to see a drag route and check down options? Bootlegs where the edge isn't just blowing the play up from snap. I can see how both Caleb and Fields would be effective in that offense. The Bears are really in a great spot and I'll say the way he uses 3 tight end sets, I don't think Bowers is off the table at 9.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

My only concern about Caleb is if having to be Superman his last year USC has completely broken him from being able to play with in structure.

He can do it and can excel playing on time. And has a quick as poo poo release.

Lincoln Riley and Kliff Kingsbury tend to have this problem with their QBs

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

My only concern about Caleb is if having to be Superman his last year USC has completely broken him from being able to play with in structure.

He can do it and can excel playing on time. And has a quick as poo poo release.

Lincoln Riley and Kliff Kingsbury tend to have this problem with their QBs

His release is incredible. I'm not as worried about him playing in structure because he showed a lot of that in his 2022 games. I chart specific traits, was looking for reasons to ding him because I was skeptical of the generational talent hype surrounding him, and I still gave him 5s across the board.

There are a lot of little things he does that just impressed me. He throws on the run about as well as anyone in the NFL. He sets into his throwing stance incredibly fast also. The way he handles the ball on RPO plays is just high level stuff. He has a clear awareness of the field and where the ball should be going. I think the most important thing of all is he never looks rushed, which is saying something given how bad his offensive line was last year. I really did not expect to like him as much as I do because i tend to like my quarterbacks bigger.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Sataere posted:

His release is incredible. I'm not as worried about him playing in structure because he showed a lot of that in his 2022 games. I chart specific traits, was looking for reasons to ding him because I was skeptical of the generational talent hype surrounding him, and I still gave him 5s across the board.

There are a lot of little things he does that just impressed me. He throws on the run about as well as anyone in the NFL. He sets into his throwing stance incredibly fast also. The way he handles the ball on RPO plays is just high level stuff. He has a clear awareness of the field and where the ball should be going. I think the most important thing of all is he never looks rushed, which is saying something given how bad his offensive line was last year. I really did not expect to like him as much as I do because i tend to like my quarterbacks bigger.

His 2022 season was so much better than his 2023 from my perception because he had Jordan Addison. Addison stretched out the field and made any defense aware he could take the top off. Opened up the Air Raid a lot more for Riley.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/DMRussini/status/1750897936886612162

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

As I said in the Coaching Carousel thread, I'm not too fond of it. The dude got a job because he got carried by Aaron Donald, Prime Jalen Ramsey, and Prime Von Miller. He and Osama Bin Barry co-mentored each other and ran the same scheme. Abso-loving-lutely not. No. Next candidate.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

A Sneaker Broker posted:

As I said in the Coaching Carousel thread, I'm not too fond of it. The dude got a job because he got carried by Aaron Donald, Prime Jalen Ramsey, and Prime Von Miller. He and Osama Bin Barry co-mentored each other and ran the same scheme. Abso-loving-lutely not. No. Next candidate.

But you like Evero and he is a Fangio guy too?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I’m not enthused about Staley, but at this point it’s pretty much “anyone but Matt Patricia.”

Any DC interview should probably just be playing tape of Joe Barry’s worst playcalls and saying, “so… what would you have done differently here?”

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought Kirby Joseph was on the lions

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Hand Row posted:

But you like Evero and he is a Fangio guy too?

Evero is putting out with whatever that roster is in Carolina—dialing up plays.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Evero is putting out with whatever that roster is in Carolina—dialing up plays.

For sure but odd to criticize the scheme and that Rams team when Evero was there with Staley and Barry for all those Ram teams.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Hand Row posted:

For sure but odd to criticize the scheme and that Rams team when Evero was there with Staley and Barry for all those Ram teams.

I should revise my statement and say Barry was predictable with the scheme. If we bring in someone who will run the same thing, I want to know if our defense will make plays less predictable while also being developed. Evero has been doing precisely that for the Panther's defense. I want that.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I just don't ever want to see Preston Smith covering Davante Adams on 3rd and long again. I'm not asking for much.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Malaria posted:

I just don't ever want to see Preston Smith covering Davante Adams on 3rd and long again. I'm not asking for much.

Yup. This is what I mean when I say you can’t really do much worse than Joe Barry.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought Kirby Joseph was on the lions

I had to google it too lol

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bears looking into Joe Barry, lmao. They absolutely cannot.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bears looking into Joe Barry, lmao. They absolutely cannot.

I guess he’s actually a pretty good linebackers coach, just absolutely do not let him call plays :shrug:

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh hell ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpM4P9lxmRY

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1750957577574273474

also

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1750966374577451387

There are going to be lots of people interviewed no need to get worked up over one

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Giving a rising star a chance could be interesting, even if the Packer curse claims him all the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

There are going to be lots of people interviewed no need to get worked up over one

It seems like we're on track to be interviewing more coaches than we did 3 years ago when LaFleur settled onto Barry. I think back then he only interviewed 9 people total? Evero, Nielsen, Matt Burke, Leonhard, Chris Harris, Jerry Gray, Chris Kiffin, Bob Sutton, and Barry.