Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

quote:

Houthi delegation in Moscow for talks on Middle East tensions
A Houthi delegation has met Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov to discuss rising tensions in the Middle East.

The lead Houthi negotiator said in a social media post on that the group discussed the need to step up pressure on the US and Israel to end the war in Gaza.

God please help the Russians supply the Houthis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ram dass in hell posted:

even the barest potemkin appearance to the last remaining audience for the narrative that anyone but China is the leader of the world?

Doubt China would do it just for that

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Weka posted:

God please help the Russians supply the Houthis

:pray:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

What time is it in New Zealand time

1am

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Vladimir Vladimirovich please supply Ansarallah with 2M39 nuclear uuvs

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

e: they're gonna wait on the American shipment to replenish Iron Dome interceptors before starting anything, aren't they.

Would it matter much if they did? I thought they had enough missiles with good guidance (so that iron dome can't ignore as many) that the system would be overwhelmed very quickly.

I thought the system was more about keeping an illusion of a secure-ish status quo than actual defense against a large attack.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Adenoid Dan posted:

Would it matter much if they did? I thought they had enough missiles with good guidance (so that iron dome can't ignore as many) that the system would be overwhelmed very quickly.

I thought the system was more about keeping an illusion of a secure-ish status quo than actual defense against a large attack.

The system has to be overcome with rocket spam before the guided missiles can come out. That's the only way to maximize their mission success. Getting more interceptors buys Israel some time to do what they think they can (they won't and can't). It's more about the self-reassurance.

Hezbollah has spent the last four months degrading Israel's air and missile defense. They've been testing their limits and boundaries, and penetrated missiles & drones as far as south of the Sea of Galilee. At this point they know the best approach to targeting Israel's critical economic infrastructure along the coast. If the IDF tries anything now it'll be way too late.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Jan 26, 2024

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

ICJ ruling in a few hours

Please set your expectations to less than zero, I wouldnt be surprised if they throw out the case all together.

still gonna watch it live though because I'm a freak degenerate masochist.

I'm South African and we've been winning every international event we participate in lately, so I'm naively optimistic.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Votskomit posted:

I'm South African and we've been winning every international event we participate in lately, so I'm naively optimistic.

:pray:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
while international law is something of a joke, it would be very funny to see all the worst people on the planet get extremely mad when the rules-based international order turns on them

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Day 3 of the aid trucks being blocked. Israel keeps bringing up the humanitarian aid it was reluctantly forced to grant as "proof" that it isn't doing a genocide, so this is a pretty awkward situation.

https://twitter.com/ynetalerts/status/1750783993425924436?t=PkYlbsaEeHPgiOV_ciITMQ&s=19

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Weka posted:

the most morel army in the world

Dokapon Findom posted:

Isn't there someone you forgot to ask???

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/ComradeJason/status/1750286261196120382?t=9MH4wugdJOV4gJbyQPOQrg&s=19

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

HazCat posted:

Go read my posts in the DnD thread and tell me they were insufficiently pro-Palestine.

shut up nerd

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

HazCat posted:

Go read my posts in the DnD thread and tell me they were insufficiently pro-Palestine.

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I feel like this is disrespectful, but I like it.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HazCat posted:

Shut up lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The system has to be overcome with rocket spam before the guided missiles can come out. That's the only way to maximize their mission success. Getting more interceptors buys Israel some time to do what they think they can (they won't and can't). It's more about the self-reassurance.

Hezbollah has spent the last four months degrading Israel's air and missile defense. They've been testing their limits and boundaries, and penetrated missiles & drones as far as south of the Sea of Galilee. At this point they know the best approach to targeting Israel's critical economic infrastructure along the coast. If the IDF tries anything now it'll be way too late.

they've also been poking out Israels eyes in the north. the very radar systems which would be needed to effectively intercept high speed guided missiles.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcpZCpEUPY

Skip to 32 seconds in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

does anyone know if there's going to be any live coverage of the statement when it drops?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hasn't SA's youtube channel been live every time so far?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

does anyone know if there's going to be any live coverage of the statement when it drops?

the un streams it, and i think basically every newspaper and tv station worth a lick of salt is gonna use their feed today
https://webtv.un.org/en/asset/k1u/k1uwq4cxuv

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

Probably. In any case, the statement drops in one hour twenty minutes, if my news are correct.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

lmao

Wikipedia posted:

In 1983, the nations of the world signed the Oslo Disarmament Treaty, severely limiting the size of nuclear arsenals. However, this led to a proliferation of biological and chemical weapons.

By the early 1990s, a fanatical Irish nationalist government had declared war on the UK, conquered Northern Ireland, and expelled the Protestants from that region. In August 1992, Irish commandos introduced LSD into the water supply of much of the UK. Under the influence of the drug, the Prime Minister and Parliament ordered the use of nuclear weapons against Ireland and her allies, South Africa and China. The Commonwealth backed the UK in the emerging World War III, and the United States joined the British side after Chinese missiles, targeting the Canadian Great Plains, struck inside the US. By this time, widespread biological warfare was in effect, with missile-borne pathogens doing extensive damage to both agriculture and human populations. One week after the beginning of the war, China invaded the Soviet Union. Israel remained the only major neutral great power. By the end of 1992, half of the world's population was dead; 90% had perished from plague and famine by 1994.

Later, Texas declared independence from the United States as the Second Republic of Texas; due to Texas' large oil reserves and refineries, the U.S. saw its recovery as an important strategic objective. During negotiations in Oklahoma City, U.S. President Clairewood was kidnapped by Texas Rangers and held captive in Texas, while the United States languished under the heavy-handed but ineffective leadership of Vice President William Mallow. The war between the two nations continued; a Texan offensive into Louisiana in May 1999 was repulsed, but only after war crimes were committed by Texan forces operating under the command of the Sons of the Alamo, a radical paramilitary group.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I rooted for OJ, but for this one I'm waiting for the final verdict before rushing to judgment.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/live/vgIQ3uWhTnQ?si=98vcNggRul2837SY

SABC ftw

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So if I'm reading correctly, the judgement is due start being read out in 1 hour and 10 minutes from now?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Comrade Koba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgIQ3uWhTnQ

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Pookah posted:

So if I'm reading correctly, the judgement is due start being read out in 1 hour and 10 minutes from now?

correct

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
my verdict is dti

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Sancho Banana posted:

Day 3 of the aid trucks being blocked. Israel keeps bringing up the humanitarian aid it was reluctantly forced to grant as "proof" that it isn't doing a genocide, so this is a pretty awkward situation.

https://twitter.com/ynetalerts/status/1750783993425924436?t=PkYlbsaEeHPgiOV_ciITMQ&s=19

It’s just that “I’m not touching you” bullshit you come to expect. “Look at this picture, we love giving Medical Supplies to Gaza, that’s why the boxes say that on them in English. We can’t control what a bunch of brave patriots do, and really, god bless them”

“Hey look, we want a ceasefire too, take it up with the guys who refused the deal where they give us everything we want and we get to continue shooting them, they’re the ones that said no”

The reddit country

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Interesting article on understanding Ansar Allah's broader strategy in blockading the Red Sea to Israeli traffic.

https://thecradle.co/articles/how-yemens-asabiyya-is-reshaping-geopolitics

quote:

With a single move, the Yemeni resistance seized the strategic advantage by de facto controlling a key geoeconomic bottleneck: the Bab el-Mandeb. Hence, they can inflict serious trouble on sectors of global supply chains, trade, and finance. 

And Ansarallah has the potential to double down — if need be. Persian Gulf traders, off the record, have confirmed insistent chatter that Yemen may consider imposing a so-called Al-Aqsa Triangle — aptly named after the 7 October Palestinian resistance operation aimed at destroying the Israeli military's Gaza Division and taking captives as leverage in a sweeping prisoner swap deal. 

Such a move would mean selectively blocking not only the Bab el-Mandeb and the Red Sea route to the Suez Canal, but also the Strait of Hormuz, cutting off oil and gas deliveries to Israel from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE – although the top oil suppliers to Israel are in fact Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan. 

quote:

Today, Red Sea shipping traffic has plunged in half, compared to the summer of 2023; supply chains are wobbly; ships carrying food are forced to circumnavigate Africa (and risk delivering cargo after its expiry date); predictably, inflation across the vast EU agricultural sphere (worth €70 billion) is rising fast. 

Yet, never underestimate a cornered Empire. 

Western-based insurance giants perfectly understood the rules of Ansarallah's limited blockade: Russian and Chinese ships, for instance, have free passage in the Red Sea. Global insurers have only refused to cover US, UK, and Israeli ships — exactly as the Yemenis intended. 

Yemen is kicking the empire squarely in the nuts, and the empire, eyes bulging cartoonishly, is trying to double down in the region, a strategy which has never really worked for them.

quote:

The goal of the new, reframed American deceit is to elbow the Global South into ditching its support for Ansarallah's strategy. 

Pay attention to this crucial US sleight of hand: Because, from now on, in a new perverse twist of Operation Genocide Protection, it is Washington that will be blockading the Red Sea for the entire world. Washington itself, mind you, will be spared: US shipping depends on Pacific trade routes, not West Asian ones. This will ratchet up the pain on Asian customers and especially on Europe's economy – which already took the heavies blows from Ukraine-associated Russian energy sanctions.

The author locates Yemen's fighting spirit and solidarity with Gaza in a wider tradition of asabiyya:

quote:

Yes, this boils down to “moral strength” — for the west, a mere soundbite; for the east, an essential philosophy. Ibn Khaldun grasped how civilization began and was constantly renewed by people with natural goodness and energy; people who understood and respected the natural world, who lived light, united by blood or brought together by a shared revolutionary idea or religious drive.

Ibn Khaldun defined as asabiyya this force that binds people together. 

Like so many words in Arabic, asabiyya exhibits a range of diverse, loosely connected meanings. Arguably, the most relevant is esprit de corps, team spirit, and tribal solidarity - just as Ansarallah exhibits. 

As Ibn Khaldun demonstrates, when the power of asabiyya is fully harnessed, reaching way beyond the tribe, it becomes more powerful than the sum of its individual parts, and can become a catalyst to reshape history; to make or break Empires; to encourage civilizations; or force them to collapse. 

We are definitely living an asabiyya moment, brought about by the Yemeni resistance’s moral strength. 

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Hey, what's that thing the dead nazi soldier is holding? :thunk:

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1750823780283220032?t=l0g-UpHP9nuF4FwadVkExA&s=19

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

It is well known that Zionism is an antisemitic ideology.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

wow I'm sure israelis are glad to be rid of this antisemite

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

tristeham posted:

shut up nerd

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

T minus 20 minutes until the international rules-based order tears up its last remaining fig leaf.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HazCat posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

my quality of life improved monumentally when i stopped reading dnd, you can't trick me with your spinning bowtie anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fartlow's panicky "pallets sign" friend would have a loving heart attack