Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I've already bred a few pals (and seemingly have been fairly lucky with trait inheritance), but there's one pal that refuses to participate. As soon as I throw them in the pen they fall asleep and don't register as assigned to the breeding farm. Jank or am I missing something?

is it depresso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
a helzephyr

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

But to whom? I want to be optimal and I don't know enough!

Depends on the fruit. Any Pal that you can use as a mount is going to add value to whatever skills you decide to use, simply because you can choose the targets without the Pal constantly moving backward to get in the "right position".

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm already pretty burnt out on this game; good baseline, but it really does need a lot more stuff to make it feel like a finished product.

Has anyone also played Enshrouded, which just came out as well? I'm curious what comparisons can be drawn between the two. I'm in the mood for another survival-ish game right now, and I did a fresh round of V Rising too recently to go back to that until it gets out of EA, probably.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm already pretty burnt out on this game; good baseline, but it really does need a lot more stuff to make it feel like a finished product.

Has anyone also played Enshrouded, which just came out as well? I'm curious what comparisons can be drawn between the two. I'm in the mood for another survival-ish game right now, and I did a fresh round of V Rising too recently to go back to that until it gets out of EA, probably.

Survival thread has you covered, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655873

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Woolie boots up Palworld to give it a try, and not even a couple minutes in his QA Powers Activate :allears:
https://clips.twitch.tv/HelpfulHeartlessCrabCclamChamp-m1_Imnq5pgXgf6qd

love whenever he encounters a bug in a game he just lets it ride

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
While traveling to get my stuff from my corpse I was riding my lycanroc and turns out that yes even if a menu opens it doesn't stop your players movement sending me careening off the same cliff I died from earlier

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/SupremeDreams_1/status/1750720844358390186
:allears:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SettingSun posted:

The wood pile and quarry are way too high on their priority list. They should be like, last. If literally nothing else needs doing, then mine/chop.

I would settle for being able to toggle each of the three slots on or off.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is good.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
This game is a mashup of multiple other types of games I don't like and I have no idea why I've played it for ten hours send help.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Mailer posted:

This game is a mashup of multiple other types of games I don't like and I have no idea why I've played it for ten hours send help.

Time be going by fast when you're playing it.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Mailer posted:

its those games but good

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Incredible.

Youtube version

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SettingSun posted:

I thought raids were neat until a horde of 20 fire pals rolled around and burned absolutely everything down. Wooden foundations collapsed which broke everything on top of them. I, uh, turned off raids after that.

It doesn't help that raids scale to the strongest player in the server, so if you're running a community server and one person is significantly ahead of everyone else, you've got level 40+ gribblies showing up to murk level 20 bases.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I spent all night building my new base. I thought making both floors 3 walls high would help Jormungandir Ignis stop getting stuck on things but... No, that's just his style. I caught him stuck in the tiny gap between two shipping containers.

Got all 15 large luxury beds on the second floor. 3 hot springs. I can't let the mining camp pals know how they live over here, they'll riot and be right. On the other hand, lots free space to roam and sleeping under the stars maybe that's nice for them.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Mailer posted:

The loop of pal base management > Exploring for Pals > More base management honestly mitigates the many, many issues with the game. Like it's nailed that compelling lizard brain part.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kith posted:

It doesn't help that raids scale to the strongest player in the server, so if you're running a community server and one person is significantly ahead of everyone else, you've got level 40+ gribblies showing up to murk level 20 bases.

Are we 100% on this because it doesn't feel that way

It feels like it is more base level x 2.5

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

This reminds me of Dragon Quest monsters where you make a toilet and the whole village will come to cheer you on after build it and use it, scaling walls just to glimpse at you taking a poo poo.

What cool/funny stories do people have playing this?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr Scumbag posted:

Time be going by fast when you're playing it.

i can't believe I played so long and only took a break because the controller thumbstick axes were hosed up this afternoon

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i think this was posted before, but now it's properly translated. interview with the pocketpair ceo, from right before the launch

https://automaton-media.com/en/interviews/20240123-25950/

The Early Access release date for Palworld is right around the corner, but what direction do you plan to develop the game in post-release?

I’m not sure how about how much I should say before the release, but with Craftopia, we thought we had made something good. At the time, we thought it was the best game we could make, but now, with Palworld, I think we have made something truly extraordinary. We made it by fusing various elements from other games, but we ended up with something completely new, which I think is amazing. I think we have created a title that many people will be able to enjoy, and I feel very happy that we were able to create such a game in the first place.

I’m confident to the extent that, if Palworld doesn’t become a hit, I’m not sure what we should even make in the future as a company. We won’t even be able to continue as a company. We polished Palworld to the point that we want to release it at any cost, despite the risks. Of course, the pioneers of open-world survival craft games are all amazing titles that have been extremely successful, so I don’t know if we can match them. However, given the right timing, I think we have created something that could become a huge hit.

the guy's a pc nerd

What is your understanding of the open-world survival craft genre? Were there any particular titles you researched as part of working on Palworld?

I see the open-world survival craft genre as something that was derived from Minecraft. You used the word “research,” but this is a genre I’ve always adored, so I’ve played numerous titles up until now – such as Terraria, The Forest, Sons of the Forest, Conan Exiles, ARK: Survival Evolved, and of course, Minecraft. In terms of recent hit games, I’ve played Valheim, the indie title Raft, and Rust (although it is a PvP game). I’ve also played sandbox titles such as Astroneer and Scrap Mechanic, as well as games with novel mechanics such as Sunkenland.

Our previous title Craftopia was also an open-world survival craft game, so I started out on Palworld having accumulated significant knowledge on the genre. There are also many Steam users within our development team, so a lot of them have also played the titles I mentioned just now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nintendo for the lose

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Like many others I made my base right at the default start on the small clearing with the bridge. That's a woefully cramped spot though, and I had to put my breeding pen in my second ore mining base, because there was no way to fit it anywhere. I'd kinda want to design a new base to a better location but the thought of dismantling everything and going around encumbered is putting me off. I don't suppose there's a cheat for infinite carry weight I could turn on while I re-design the base?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Like many others I made my base right at the default start on the small clearing with the bridge. That's a woefully cramped spot though, and I had to put my breeding pen in my second ore mining base, because there was no way to fit it anywhere. I'd kinda want to design a new base to a better location but the thought of dismantling everything and going around encumbered is putting me off. I don't suppose there's a cheat for infinite carry weight I could turn on while I re-design the base?

Yeah just grab a trainer/cheatengine script/WeMod/mod. I did that tonight to move my base from exactly where you are. I did however use floors to expand outward from that cramped space to build my breeding hut and such. I will say, as cramped and messy as that spot was, it was actually a lot faster than my new bigger base with more breathing room. Like, it's much much nicer now, but My last set up was so cramped I could hit up basically every chest and factory without running at all.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that's obviously the drawback. The other option might just to build one base for my dream house. Too bad there's no server option to adjust the number of bases. I'm guessing I still need an outpost or at least a close location to a teleport to mine some coal and sulfur (don't think I've seen either yet, but that volcano zone to the west looks like an option)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

TeaJay posted:

Yeah that's obviously the drawback. The other option might just to build one base for my dream house. Too bad there's no server option to adjust the number of bases. I'm guessing I still need an outpost or at least a close location to a teleport to mine some coal and sulfur (don't think I've seen either yet, but that volcano zone to the west looks like an option)

There is a mod for that: https://www.nexusmods.com/palworld/mods/46

And to generally increase the upper limits of world settings: https://www.nexusmods.com/palworld/mods/107

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Does type matter to the Pal's attacks or is 3 fire attacks learned from fruit equipped on a pyromaniac ice type the same as on a pyromaniac fire type?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You only care about the element type of the skill vs the creatures element type getting hit

There is only advantage in damage, never advantage in defense

So this means you only care what has advantage over you

Normal pokemon supremecy

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Normal pals are weak to dark though, and there are a lot of dark pals around, especially at night

There also apparently is STAB, but it's it's only around 20%

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I don't go out at nite

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Third World Reagan posted:

You only care about the element type of the skill vs the creatures element type getting hit

There is only advantage in damage, never advantage in defense

So this means you only care what has advantage over you

Normal pokemon supremecy

This is incorrect on all counts? The game literally tells you when attacks are super effective or not very effective on the left side of the screen during combat, though it's apparently bugged and shows for the typing of the pals and not the typing of the attacks themselves. Watch the damage numbers themselves instead.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You are saying a fire skill does not do extra damage to ice pokemon?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

2 pals, A and B have attack 100
both have Pyromaniac for +10% fire attack
they learn Generic Fire Blast attack 100 from a fruit or level
A is Fire type: attack is 220. if Same Type Attack Bonus is a thing, would be higher
B is Ice type: attack is 220, no chance of STAB so 220

defenses yeah, weak/strong vs element is obvious. though how multitype work i'm not sure on. most obvious is ice/water of those penguins getting hit with fire. weak vs and strong vs is standard damage? not sure.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dropped from the desert Suzaku boss, so seems there's some unique drops from bosses.

Edit:

Oooooooof

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I bred myself a few Anubis but they all except one have the musclehead traits. One came with 4 yellow traits but one of them was musclehead too. Are they at all useful in a fight or just in camp?

But then again, I can't get them to do handiwork, they immediately sprint off to do mining. The game really needs some Rimworld style priorities or a simple "don't do X" toggle.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Changed a bunch of my world settings to make capture rate better, no item drop on death etc and it's been much more enjoyable since. I have no idea why I was making things harder on myself on a single player save, the item drop on death was particularly annoying and didn't particularly add anything to the game

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

If anybody else is running a dedicated server and wants to set up automatic backups to their local machine, I procrastinated like a goof today and wrote a howto with a script for windows

if your server host has automatic backups and you trust them, you almost certainly don't need this. i just wanted to see how it could be done and then got carried away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Turning off item drops on death was a good idea, because goddamn, wome random dungeon bosses seem to have attacks that do not respect dodge rolling.

I might be a baby and jack up exp and catch rate as well, because I've kind of been spinning my wheels not quite being ready for the 2nd tower boss for a few sessions