Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

I'm surprised it's taken Ukraine this long to target Russia's oil export infrastructure.

The timing might coincide with Russia moving portions of the Black Sea fleet out of Sevastopol. If they can't fuel their ships then they either have to move back to Crimea, and in range of long range bombardment, or retire their fleet due to lack of fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-january-24-2024

quote:

Russian law enforcement authorities are codifying xenophobic profiling methods suggesting that migrants are predisposed to criminal activity against the backdrop of continued conflicts between Russian citizens and naturalized migrants. Russian outlet RTVI reported on January 24 that the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) published a “criminogenic index” detailing which countries’ migrants committed the most crimes in Russia in response to a request from Russian State Duma Deputy Mikhail Matveev to determine if “immigrants from certain countries have criminal characteristics.”

"CITIZEN! Your skull shape implies criminal characteristics!"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

I'm surprised it's taken Ukraine this long to target Russia's oil export infrastructure.

All the western countries have extracted from Ukraine a promise to not use the really good western tech on targets inside Russia proper, for fear of escalation. Also the western kit Ukraine has doesn't quite have a super long range anyway, some Ukrainian strikes have been on targets like 700 km from the Ukraine-Russia border.

It has taken a while, I guess, for Ukraine to create long-range drones by themselves that they can use for these long range strikes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

psydude posted:

Concern over Russian air defenses would be my guess. I think it would be reasonable to assume that oil export infrastructure would be well defended and it's taken a while to become confident in the reduction of Russian air defense/confident in Ukrainian capabilities enough to start launching these strikes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Concern over Russian air defenses would be my guess. I think it would be reasonable to assume that oil export infrastructure would be well defended and it's taken a while to become confident in the reduction of Russian air defense/confident in Ukrainian capabilities enough to start launching these strikes.

Potentially an element of just having attrited enough of Russia's air defenses that some gaps have started to appear. We know Russia has been moving around S400 systems to close holes opened by Ukrainian strikes into Crimea.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I do hope that the drone strike on the Russian missile plant last week leads to issues for them.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Guys, it was a UFO. I don't the Ukrainians have access to Pleiadian technology yet

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

A.o.D. posted:

The timing might coincide with Russia moving portions of the Black Sea fleet out of Sevastopol. If they can't fuel their ships then they either have to move back to Crimea, and in range of long range bombardment, or retire their fleet due to lack of fuel.

Why would a strike on oil exports in the Baltic impact domestic use in the Black Sea?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

EasilyConfused posted:

Why would a strike on oil exports in the Baltic impact domestic use in the Black Sea?

There were at least two strikes, one in oil exports in the Baltic, one on a refinery at the Black Sea.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Where do tracked vehicles fit in the technical alignment chart? I thought it was all wheeled vehicles but here we are.

If you replace the wheels of a Hilux (with bed mounted ZSU-23 guns) with steel wheels and pull it on rails, is it a technical or a train?

Does putting the ZSU-23 on a towed trailer make it a train?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 25, 2024

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

OddObserver posted:

There were at least two strikes, one in oil exports in the Baltic, one on a refinery at the Black Sea.

Whoops missed that, my bad (in my defense, I just got COVID so I'm a bit out of it).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

orange juche posted:

Does putting the ZSU-23 on a towed trailer make it a train?

That would make a diesel truck pulling it a diesel locomotive, thus nearly impossible to destroy

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

while i assume it's the duma putting out the regularly-scheduled red meat for the base (kind of an odd concept in russia, but it does exist) laws to show they're taking action against undesirables in pursuit of a pure and holy bastion of traditional values, since when did the MVD need codification to convince them to harass central asian immigrants? the resulting bribes are like 80% of their salary!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Huh I wonder what they threatened Orban with, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-25/hungary-reverses-opposition-on-new-eu-weapons-fund-for-ukraine

Bloomberg posted:

Hungary will drop its objections to the creation of a €5 billion ($5.4 billion) Ukraine military assistance fund, paving the way for an agreement to revamp a vehicle that aims to steady supply of weapons to Kyiv, once member states sort out technical issues.

Budapest said it won’t stand in the way of a consensus at a meeting of European Union ambassadors on Wednesday, where a deal on a larger €50 billion financial aid package remains stuck, according to people familiar with the matter.

Setting up the new facility has gained urgency as the EU is falling short of a pledge to provide Ukraine with one million artillery shells by March and critical US funding remains blocked in Congress. Russia, meanwhile, is outproducing the West and has received about one million shells from North Korea.

The decision would mark a reversal from earlier this week, when Hungary said it opposed revamping the EU’s current facility that reimburses member states for weapons they send to Ukraine. It coincides with growing pressure on Prime Minister Viktor Orban to approve Sweden’s accession to NATO. Hungary is the last hold-out after Turkey backed the Nordic nation’s bid earlier this week.

Last month, Budapest vetoed a separate €50 billion economic support package, forcing the bloc’s leaders to reconvene a week from now in Brussels to either forge a compromise with Hungary or to circumvent it. A potential agreement hinges on the terms of agreeing to Hungary’s demand for a yearly review of the aid deal. Orban insists on the right to veto annually, something the vast majority of member states reject.

Hungary is also blocking the disbursement of the latest, €500 million tranche from the EPF. Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto said his country may consider supporting the release of the funds after a meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart, scheduled for Monday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Money. EU threatened Hungary a couple days ago, last week, with investigating how some funds were released to them ahead of time.

Orban knows who pays Hungary's EU bills and its not Putin, despite his closeness to him. Orban has overplayed his cards and the EU has subtly let him know they are watching. Orban is not as sly as he thinks he is.

The EU also has a growing majority that is arguing Hungary should be kept on a tighter leash, so he really stepped in it: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/12/eu-lawmakers-push-on-with-move-to-try-and-limit-hungarys-voting-rights

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 25, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

CommieGIR posted:

The EU also has a growing majority that is arguing Hungary should be kept on a tighter leash, so he really stepped in it: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/12/eu-lawmakers-push-on-with-move-to-try-and-limit-hungarys-voting-rights

Yeah, Orban started taking a nicer, but still unacceptable, tack on EU matters after that came to the fore. God I would LOVE for them to strip Hungary of voting rights, just peel him layer by layer like the fat rotting onion he is until there's nothing left.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

SomethingAwful Forums > Internet VFW > Ukraine: Piotr sighed as he flew his katana

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

yeah that's a great thread title

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Agreed! :mods:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

Whoops missed that, my bad (in my defense, I just got COVID so I'm a bit out of it).

Post/username. Feel better soon!

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, Orban started taking a nicer, but still unacceptable, tack on EU matters after that came to the fore. God I would LOVE for them to strip Hungary of voting rights, just peel him layer by layer like the fat rotting onion he is until there's nothing left.

There are a couple issues with Orban and Hungary. Much as most EU citizens like to see finiancial support for their country from the EU, they really dislike any real or perceived interference, and when the EU presses Orban and he pushes back, his base digs in for him. A brain drain is also taking place in Hungary, as many young and/or capable people move to other EU countries for better wages. So we have the base that is likely to oppose Orban and his policies leaving, while his supporters staying and helping Orban further fortify his own position. Anecdotally, I have spoken with many Hungarian expats, and while they are not exactly proud and supportive of Orban, they do like seeing their country in a strong position, and thus kindly step to the sidelines.

I do believe Orban is overplaying his hand, but the EU is not going to win by threatening him or Hungary. Or maybe at least more carrot and less stick.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

There are a couple issues with Orban and Hungary. Much as most EU citizens like to see finiancial support for their country from the EU, they really dislike any real or perceived interference, and when the EU presses Orban and he pushes back, his base digs in for him. A brain drain is also taking place in Hungary, as many young and/or capable people move to other EU countries for better wages. So we have the base that is likely to oppose Orban and his policies leaving, while his supporters staying and helping Orban further fortify his own position. Anecdotally, I have spoken with many Hungarian expats, and while they are not exactly proud and supportive of Orban, they do like seeing their country in a strong position, and thus kindly step to the sidelines.

I do believe Orban is overplaying his hand, but the EU is not going to win by threatening him or Hungary. Or maybe at least more carrot and less stick.

I tell ya, you haven't lived until you've beaten someone to death with a sizable carrot.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The important thing about blackmail is that it doesn't stop. When you are being blackmailed and you give in, you will get blackmailed again.

Strip Hungary of its funding and voting rights, then we can talk. The EU needs to start treating this as the existential threat that it is.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

Anecdotally, I have spoken with many Hungarian expats, and while they are not exactly proud and supportive of Orban, they do like seeing their country in a strong position, and thus kindly step to the sidelines.

"I'm not proud of the neanderthal fascist, nor do I support him, but I love what he's doing, so I'm not going to get in the way of it!"

I don't really see the meaningful difference between that and full-throated support.

As for the carrot vs stick, the EU has been kowtowing to him and trying to wheedle and give him what he wants for several years now, which has utterly failed to drag him out of Putin's warm embrace. You can't negotiate bad actors into playing along with the rules, all you can do is refuse to involve them or threaten them, because any sort of well-meant agreement, they will simply ignore or attempt to twist out of its original intent. And like, if getting their EU funds and voting rights stripped away will somehow "play" to him, then him playing "hardball" and still getting what he wants will absolutely play into his hands as well.

So no, gently caress him. It's stick time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I don't think that being a spineless puppet of another country (while living on EU dole) makes your country strong, it makes your country pathetic, just in a dangerous way.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Splorange posted:

I tell ya, you haven't lived until you've beaten someone to death with a sizable carrot.

Poetry.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Splorange posted:

Where can I find one of these mega-carrots

A kakarot if you will

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splorange posted:

Thread title candidate

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phrenology but the head lumps are from police truncheons.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A roundup of relevant recent articles.

Context for the attacks on oil refineries.
https://carnegieendowment.org/politika/91473?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

quote:

The two refineries attacked by Ukraine in January are export-oriented, and do not play a major role in the domestic market. However, if small drones with no more than 5 kilograms of explosives managed to reach Ust-Luga, which is 620 miles from Ukrainian territory, this means there are a total of eighteen Russian refineries with a combined capacity of 3.5 million barrels per day (more than half the Russian total) that are possible targets.
Under normal circumstances, a full repair would be expected to take no more than a couple of months.

However, the circumstances in which the Russian refining sector finds itself at the moment are far from normal. When Russia began rebuilding its industrial base in the early 2000s, the country largely used imported equipment. As it gradually integrated into the global economy, Russia was able to purchase many different kinds of machines—far more than the limited selection produced in the Soviet Union. This came to an abrupt end in 2022, when the full-scale invasion of Ukraine destroyed the globally integrated model. Now, almost two years into the conflict, there are growing concerns about whether Russia’s industrial base can function in isolation over the long term.

A rather gloomy report on the gap between what Europe is doing, and what is necessary.
https://ecfr.eu/publication/beyond-the-counter-offensive-attrition-stalemate-and-the-future-of-the-war-in-ukraine/#about-the-author

quote:

Unfortunately, Putin has a viable theory of victory in this war. While another effort to take the Ukrainian capital in a swift campaign is out of reach, eroding Western support for Ukraine is not. Time and again, Putin stresses Kyiv’s dependence on Western support, both economic and military. He often expresses his confidence that Russian endurance will triumph over the West. To exhaust Western willingness to support Ukraine, the Russian offensives do not necessarily have to conquer more Ukrainian territory. But they do need to put pressure on Kyiv by imposing manpower and materiel losses that Western sources will have difficulty making up. Unsurprisingly, Putin shows no interest in (serious) negotiations. Time and again, the Kremlin has said it will only negotiate if Moscow’s maximalist conditions are fulfilled. Moreover, the negotiations that are proposed are negotiations with the West, not Kyiv. In other words, until Moscow attains its goals one way or another, the war will continue.

The 2024 presidential and congressional elections in the US in November 2024 could also alter the stakes of the war in Putin’s favour. Former president Donald Trump, the Republican front-runner, has hinted at disengaging from Europe and Ukraine, which would substantially weaken Ukraine. Even if President Joe Biden returns to the White House, the Republican control of Congress could mean paralysis in Washington over providing support to Ukraine.

A more optimistic overview by Lee, Kofman and Massicot.
https://warontherocks.com/2024/01/hold-build-and-strike-a-vision-for-rebuilding-ukraines-advantage-in-2024/

quote:

A defeat would see Moscow impose its will on Ukraine and walk away from the war believing that it had effectively exhausted and defeated the West. Despite the strategic cost to Russia, Ukraine would lose territory and would bear a higher burden for the war in population and economic losses. While Russia will pose an enduring military threat to European security in either scenario, a Russia that suffers a costly defeat is clearly preferable to an emboldened Moscow that is able to recover without having to worry about Ukraine’s armed forces.

This is a sobering reality, but this outcome is not inevitable. However, it will take hard political choices to bring this situation about both in Ukraine and in the West. Key decisions have to be made this year, the earlier the better, in order to put the war on a more positive trajectory. To succeed, Ukraine and the West must align expectations and articulate a clear vision for the next 18 months: what we are building toward, how, and what the theory of success is moving forward. Without a long-term strategy, it will be difficult to achieve unity of effort and manage scarce resources. If in 2024 Ukraine is able to exhaust Russian forces at the peak of Russian defense spending, then retake the initiative and inflict a series of defeats on the Russian military in 2025, it could establish the necessary leverage over Moscow in this war.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's probably just standard 19th century phrenology tbh

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In one of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett there was a Troll Phrenologist who would bang you on the head to give you lumps in the right place. :manning:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I figured this was a mandatory requirement to post reviews online.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Just Another Lurker posted:

In one of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett there was a Troll Phrenologist who would bang you on the head to give you lumps in the right place. :manning:

"Applied Phrenology", iirc.

Anyway: what I really wanna see (or not see, as the case may be) is once Ukraine gets its F-16s they're somehow flying more missions than should be possible with their number of airframes, flown by pilots speaking shaky, American-accented Ukrainian, and the Russian air defence network in Ukraine gets systematically demolished.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tbh I just don't think thats very likely

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dandywalken posted:

Tbh I just don't think thats very likely

I know 😔

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Plus, you know, the Ukrainians are doing a pretty good job dismantling Russian air defenses without foreign "military advisors" stepping in. You wouldn't be seeing a lot of the big strikes we saw throughout 2023 if Russian air defense was in a healthy space.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

Plus, you know, the Ukrainians are doing a pretty good job dismantling Russian air defenses without foreign "military advisors" stepping in. You wouldn't be seeing a lot of the big strikes we saw throughout 2023 if Russian air defense was in a healthy space.

Yea, but it'd be funny if the ukrainians were doing it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CainFortea posted:

Yea, but it'd be funny if the ukrainians were doing it.

They are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well, they're not doing it the Top Gun way. They're doing it the Battlefield Moments way