Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah the discard effect reading is weird, because it's been implemented so far as only affecting the other choosable skill of the ID currently on the skill bar, so all discard skills are identical and it doesn't matter what they say, they'll always discard the other skill.

They really need to update it to include the skill that's tetronimo'ing in, or make the text more clear on the skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

As long as you're in an abnormality battle, I think that's all Discard will do. The conditions really come into play once the character has multiple action slots.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think the intent is that Hong Lu needs some thinking to get a Skill 3 discard, since it happens before the check for Insight and so if you get that Skill 3 discard you get the strongest version of Skill 1.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i had a thought that it would be really loving fitting in a 'why didn't we think of this sooner' way if something called "The Mirror" happened to utilize or manipulate the mysterious energy that's been called "Light".

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Dieci Yi Sang: People are buildings and I'm a demolition crew.
Why is he like this?

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Dong Lu continues the trend of being PM's golden boy, because oh boy does he poo poo high value coins everywhere. He hardly counts as a sinking ID, sinking neutral at the best of times, but give him 2 slots and he'll drop very consistent high numbers and cycle through his skills faster then anyone in the game. Sinking remains a 5 man team, because giving him 2 slots is better then any possible 6th slot.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

i had a thought that it would be really loving fitting in a 'why didn't we think of this sooner' way if something called "The Mirror" happened to utilize or manipulate the mysterious energy that's been called "Light".

it doesn't do either of those things though, it's all about weird what if bullshit

Onehandclapping posted:

Dong Lu continues the trend of being PM's golden boy, because oh boy does he poo poo high value coins everywhere. He hardly counts as a sinking ID, sinking neutral at the best of times, but give him 2 slots and he'll drop very consistent high numbers and cycle through his skills faster then anyone in the game. Sinking remains a 5 man team, because giving him 2 slots is better then any possible 6th slot.

thankfully the fusion gift is "5 or more" so you give him a second slot and don't have to choose between the boner squad of sunshower or mariachi

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Wait so it’s…

Ishmael, Yi sang, rodya, hongle…. Who’s the fifth sinking ranger normally?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
G Outis.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Mexican Sinclair.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

Onehandclapping posted:

Yeah, Wi-sang goes on rupture teams because there's very few identities that are rupture positive or neutral, and he is once his charge is up.

I've been messing around with MD3 bleed teams and I've come to the conclusion that it's far and away the most busted. The super-ego is the best one, and the team isn't forcibly gimped with mediocre ID's like the burn team. You can just stick all the S3 ID's on it, with the pequod crew, Pirate Greg, the middles, then either Hook-Lu or KKryo, reroll until you have the super bleed fuse item, then win rate brrrr through every single floor. The minimum roll for this team with the gift is about a 15 and any other gifts are just cherries on top. It's absolutely silly how busted +2 on every flip is for clashing, and it doubles the damage done on top of that. It's far and away the easiest team for clearing MD3H, with Heathcliff, Don and Greg are all dropping casual 30 roll skill 3's.

You weren't kidding about how strong a bleed team can get in MD3H :dogstare:
It took quite the investment of exp tickets to bring all IDs to 40 but after fusing for the tier IV bleed gift I basically steamrolled the whole dungeon, the clash values and the damage output is just insane

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

With some luck (and the right I.D.'s) it's possible to go even further with a bleed+poise team.
Lucky Bag gets some big third skill numbers as it is, but add it on to Bloody Mist, now we're talkin.
Reasonably confident there isn't much anything that can beat the two together in a clash, E.G.O. or otherwise.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Just gave MD3H my first try and it went reasonably well with my usual charge team. I did fail to beat the final boss, which sucked, because it was Dream-devouring Stillcurrent and I knew exactly what to do and it'd have been fairly simple to do it, but, well... by that point I just couldn't win clashes consistently even using EGO. I'll do better next time!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

PetraCore posted:

Just gave MD3H my first try and it went reasonably well with my usual charge team. I did fail to beat the final boss, which sucked, because it was Dream-devouring Stillcurrent and I knew exactly what to do and it'd have been fairly simple to do it, but, well... by that point I just couldn't win clashes consistently even using EGO. I'll do better next time!
The key is to completely ignore the Gifts on offer and focus entirely on what buffs you're giving the enemy. Minimize power and offense level gain as much as possible, or else the enemy's offence just skyrockets and you can't ever win clashes. Health, defence or damage increases are ideal picks, but don't forget to factor in the +2-4 offence level every pick will give the enemy.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Congrats! Stillcurrent is the hardest boss in the dungeon by far, and a showstopper for a lot of teams, so calling it quits at him is fair game and still worth 99% of the points. Most the other bosses are jokes relative to his ability to crunch a sinner every turn, so getting to that spot would've been a win in most other runs.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

GilliamYaeger posted:

The key is to completely ignore the Gifts on offer and focus entirely on what buffs you're giving the enemy. Minimize power and offense level gain as much as possible, or else the enemy's offence just skyrockets and you can't ever win clashes. Health, defence or damage increases are ideal picks, but don't forget to factor in the +2-4 offence level every pick will give the enemy.
Yeah, I was trying to do that and managing the levels I gave enemies on every other enemy, but Stillcurrent is, well... a beast. I didn't realize how hard offense levels were factoring in, too, but now I know for next time.

Onehandclapping posted:

Congrats! Stillcurrent is the hardest boss in the dungeon by far, and a showstopper for a lot of teams, so calling it quits at him is fair game and still worth 99% of the points. Most the other bosses are jokes relative to his ability to crunch a sinner every turn, so getting to that spot would've been a win in most other runs.
Thank you! The only thing I'm sad about is I get less starlight doing one MD3H run than doing three MD3 runs, and I'm still filling out the base bonuses even if I'm pretty close to done. For the sake of keeping a decent buffer of modules, I might switch back to doing three MD3 runs for the next couple of weeks to maximize starlight and then try MD3H again.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 25, 2024

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

G Outis.

yes

there's this weeks MD done, only got the sheet music at the very end so I only fought Faelantern with it but otoh I also did a like 1000 damage sinking deluge to it(600ish damage technically but eclipse of scarlet moths got involved and things got funky) so that was fun

anyway, Hong Lu: he's kinda weird. You cannot count on the predictions at all because his Insight changes are applied before he attacks and his power varies extremely wildly with it. He's super dependent on Insight so S3 will get discarded a lot in favor of the other two which will poo poo damage at optimal power so it's not really a loss. S1 at good insight can clash okay but it's technically-1-coin nature means you gotta be somewhat more careful about it, otoh this means it also works with the rusty coin. He's only technically a Sinking ID and doesn't really contribute to it at all due to S3 essentially being ammo and only applying Count at the end of his attack, but he still qualifies for the gifts and Sinking's lack of IDs means that he's a shoo-in. His passive requires gloom res but essentially locks him at 2+ Insight if you have another discard ID.

Overall he's pretty good if only because Sinking desperately needs more IDs. He's more of a discard ID though.

e: also he needs either a 2nd slot or consistent gloom res to keep his Insight up, he is fairly wimpy at 1(14 power s3 oof), decent at 2(s1 hits twice, S2/3 are high-10s) and a murderbeast at 3(S1 hits 3 times and s2 and 3 are both 20+)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 25, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

I did that, and while it's definitely safer, trying to chew through the massively inflated HP pools while having significantly reduced damage due to all defense buffs is utterly miserable and takes a lot longer than normal MDH3 run. Then you hit a crab node on 5th floor and just give up. :v:

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
My charge team can pretty reliably chew everyone up and spit them out, though in longer battles I tend to run out of things to spend charge on and need to get rid of the charge gathering stuff.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

I did that, and while it's definitely safer, trying to chew through the massively inflated HP pools while having significantly reduced damage due to all defense buffs is utterly miserable and takes a lot longer than normal MDH3 run. Then you hit a crab node on 5th floor and just give up. :v:

yeah i avoid defense levels too when i can because of this. depending on the team it's generally fine to give the enemy 1 clash boost of some kind but anywhere past that and things start getting dicey

and of course sometimes the game gives you no choice and all 3 are absurd boosts for the enemy

e: of course it all still depends on what team you're running, some don't give a poo poo about enemy defense and some become totally anemic when it gets too high. normal fights with high defense will be miserable no matter what team you're running though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 25, 2024

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Alternatively you just pick Overload cause if you have Evaders enemy offense doesn't exist.

Or you run both fusion gifts for Bleed and Poise cause holy poo poo. Holy loving poo poo the disgusting damage. NFaust clashing well. PSang stabbing that stupid drug whale repeatedly for half its health (and because 5clair died to BO). Each gift is disgusting on its own, both together are absurd (although it required me to run KRodnya of all characters since she's also Bleed and Poise. I can't wait for Ahabmael who will be bleed+poise+envy so she fits perfectly, right???)

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
Personally I find trying to get events where you can get level ups is pretty useful even if it means less EGO gifts or Cost for trying to get the fusion gift. It's just nice to be level 44 so even when the enemy stats get inflated it's not totally bad.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Alternatively you just pick Overload cause if you have Evaders enemy offense doesn't exist.

Or you run both fusion gifts for Bleed and Poise cause holy poo poo. Holy loving poo poo the disgusting damage. NFaust clashing well. PSang stabbing that stupid drug whale repeatedly for half its health (and because 5clair died to BO). Each gift is disgusting on its own, both together are absurd (although it required me to run KRodnya of all characters since she's also Bleed and Poise. I can't wait for Ahabmael who will be bleed+poise+envy so she fits perfectly, right???)

chances of that happening if you haven't grinded out the entire upgrade tree is unlikely though

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yinlock posted:

chances of that happening if you haven't grinded out the entire upgrade tree is unlikely though

Admitedly I've been prioritizing the "Higher starting rarity chance" and "3 gift options at the start" now and basically reset till I got Bleed combo. Lucky Clover is surprisingly common cause Fairy Long Legs is a ? event unlike other gifts.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KROdx7A3NI

MirrorClock OrangeRoad PV. Gossypium Flower, Ardor Blossom Moth, and Spiral of Contempt are our fights shown.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Junpei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KROdx7A3NI

MirrorClock OrangeRoad PV. Gossypium Flower, Ardor Blossom Moth, and Spiral of Contempt are our fights shown.
That's three of them, and there's presumably 12 or 13 fights (one for each point on the clock and maybe a final boss for Midnight) and there were three more Abnormalities in Canto 5 that'll definitely make an appearance here, meaning we've got six/seven slots left. What other fights do you think we'll get? Maybe Ahab and the Pequod Crew?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
We will almost definitely get a Pequod Crew themed fight and a Mermaid themed fight. PM didn't re-use any of the story bosses after Kromer for RR or MH so I suspect we won't be getting Ahab, or at least not Gas Harpoon Ahab.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Given we've had some time since we fought them I could see either of the Dongbaek or Dongrang fights getting in.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
Finally, I can take vengeance on Gossypium for eating my rare md3h event slots.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Ooh, wasn't expecting Spiral of Contempt.

Regardless, here's hoping the Railway gimmick this time around isn't going to be rear end :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Theantero posted:

Ooh, wasn't expecting Spiral of Contempt.

Regardless, here's hoping the Railway gimmick this time around isn't going to be rear end :v:

If you do Gossipium wrong (the right way takes 50 turns) it will permanently give you its gift for the rest of the railway. Also one enemy will heal from bleed.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Going to hazard the gimmick this time is a variant on mobius; focusing more on each individual fight being a self-contained time trial instead of minmax blitzing everything to get in under a global turn counter.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Would kinda prefer if the overall gimmick wasn't a variation of time trail for once, tbh.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
The conceit this time is a literal clock, I don't think that wish is getting answered this time.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

There are absolutely 4 abnos in that trailer. Bounded King/Grand Welcome shows up in a silhouette at the very end with its own abno text.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

There are absolutely 4 abnos in that trailer. Bounded King/Grand Welcome shows up in a silhouette at the very end with its own abno text.
The one with the "worthless wretch" quote? That's Spiral of Contempt.

This thing.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 26, 2024

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Huh, I was expecting the Winged Statue to be our vaguely religious-themed final boss for the new railway.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I was also thinking we'd be getting a religiounesque final boss, but my bet was on the Scribe.

Theantero posted:

I guess we might be getting the Scribe as Railway 3 final boss since we got this here. Would keep up the religious theming they've had thus far, too. That's my personal guess, at least.

Theantero posted:

It's definitely less of an assumption and more of a bet, yes. By which I mean I will quote myself and post :smug: if I was right

Alas :negative:

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
my md3h strat is to spam fights for cost until late floor 4 or floor 5, then avoid fights as much as possible to save resources for the boss

as far as end-of-floor gift/trials, treat it like slay the spire, tbh. Some gifts are so strong when paired with the team you have that they're worth grabbing despite a worse trial, or maybe its just a "5/10 trial and gift vs 6/10 trial and 7/10 gift", where the trial is close enough in value that getting a functional gift is more useful.

the one exception is headstrong. headstrong is never worth it. Not even with rusty coin.

also recently I had a check with ishmael. she needed one heads on a two-coin skill at +45. and somehow managed to land double tails. The fault truly does lie with her.

DuoRogue fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
Speaking of skill checks, I had a run-in with My Form Empties with a rupture team, and everyone ended up with very low (i.e. impossible even with ideal coin flips) probabilities on the end-of-battle skill check. I fortunately had enough rupture stacks to take it down next turn, but I'm now wondering if I just ended up with a team composition that wasn't able to pass the check, or if the thresholds are conditional on something

Probably should have taken a screenshot