Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Pontius Pilate posted:

I’m team mcmagic on this one, team(s) are gonna regret not hiring one of the greatest coaches of all time, even with all his baggage and old age

Wouldn't you want to hire a guy that you think could lead your franchise for many years instead of a guy who's just hanging around to break a record then likely retires in 2 to 3 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Adun posted:

Fine maybe a better framing is think about how much better you are at your job when you’re 33 vs 47

As a 46 year old, I give a lot less fucks about my job than I did 10 years ago. :v:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

wandler20 posted:

Wouldn't you want to hire a guy that you think could lead your franchise for many years instead of a guy who's just hanging around to break a record then likely retires in 2 to 3 years?

That’s understandable, really just depends on what point your franchise is at I think. Him on the panthers would’ve been silly, on the chargers looks different (tho as a chargers fan I’m v glad they got a harbaugh weirdo instead). A known bet is still different than hiring a random hotshot coordinator who has never actually coached a day in his life

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

wandler20 posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if that was potentially part of the issue. You'd be fine with bringing in Billy 5 Aces if you were pairing him with some OC or DC who was ascending and you could keep around paying slight overs for 2-3 years with the expectation Belichick steps down and they step in for the presumptive decade following.

He brings with him a rapist bad DC and you'd think an OC who while a decent OC has no business being a head coach and if he only wants to bring in those guys and his sons, you can't really try and do a succession plan with that being the idea.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'd feel better about betting that Bill Belichick will be a head coach in the NFL 3 years from now than I would Raheem Morris even now.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

wandler20 posted:

If they deliver the goods, then who cares about 2 years vs. 20

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
listen i know some folks, mcmagic, are aghast at not hiring belicheck but the dude is loving 72. i dont care how good a coach he was he's either at the cliff or about to hit it. we can do it guys, we can stop entrusting massive organizations to boomers and septuagenarians.

raheem is certainly a choice for the falcons when it feels like they desperately need to unfuck themselves offensively but hey we'll see what he's learned since the last time he was HC

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

CapnAndy posted:

Sooner than later, some owner desperate and/or fame-hungry enough is going to let a ChatGPT model call the plays, it's only a matter of time. Might as well be now.

At some point they'll figure out how to do arbitrary code execution with TASbot and surprise us with Twitch plays Seattle Seahawks.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’d take Bill in Seattle over Quinn and some of the other ho-hum names.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
What about Bill Belichick’s coaching career since Brady left makes anyone excited about hiring him?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

kidcoelacanth posted:

what if tampa hires monken as " ;) offensive coordinator ;) "

Baltimore would probably block it, you have to offer a candidate a promotion in order for them to be able to leave their existing contract

Also Belichick just has to wait a year for the Jets to clean house, he's probably not sweating it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Adun posted:

What about Bill Belichick’s coaching career since Brady left makes anyone excited about hiring him?

There was that one game where he called pass plays like three times and ran it the rest of the time.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Adun posted:

Did you watch a single defensive snap for the eagles this year?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

Only first and second downs. Why, what happened on thir-oh no

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Hiring Bill would be like penning a deal for the streaming rights to only the newest seasons of the Simpsons

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Toaster Beef posted:

Hiring Bill would be like penning a deal for the streaming rights to only the newest seasons of the Simpsons

lol

Just spitballing - I’m not sure that Bill’s style works with a new staff, team, etc. He was the king of the castle in NE due to years and years of built of credibility through winning, but we see what happens when Belichick disciples try to instill that iron fist culture into a new team.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Asproigerosis posted:

Did you watch a single offensive snap for the Patriots this year?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Adun posted:

Did you watch a single offensive snap for the Patriots this year?

Yes, I watched all the eagles snaps on offense this year.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Bill would be perfect on the Eagles, they don't have to touch the offensive side of the ball at all

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://x.com/josephperson/status/1750707230725341572?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Oh yeah baby both the gm and head coach, and possibly a cap guy, all individually reporting. Gonna go great.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Asproigerosis posted:

Yes, I watched all the eagles snaps on offense this year.

the eagles scored nearly twice as many points as the patriots this season. philly's offense was broken, no doubt, but it really can't be overstated how putrid the patriots were offensively this year

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Bill is a terrible GM but remember we have multiple accounts that Belichick already wanted to upgrade Mac Jones after his rookie season and Kraft said no. he's obviously terrible at scouting WRs and FA pickups but the offensive woes are a shared mess, that team wins at least 3 more games with a Jacoby Brisette tier guy under center

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

Bill is a terrible GM but remember we have multiple accounts that Belichick already wanted to upgrade Mac Jones after his rookie season and Kraft said no. he's obviously terrible at scouting WRs and FA pickups but the offensive woes are a shared mess, that team wins at least 3 more games with a Jacoby Brisette tier guy under center

He hired Matt Patricia and Joe Judge to be co-offensive coordinators after Jones’s rookie season. It’s a shared mess that he created!

We’re always told the NFL is a “what have you done for me lately” league and Bill’s recent record is horrendous.

Adun fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 26, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
in any case - even with Mahomes or Jackson - Patricia/Judge would be an awful decision. but to his (minimal, since he hired them in the first place) credit he moved on from them after one year. he wanted to do the same with Jones and wasn't allowed, and couldn't bring in a quality backup cause Kraft was pissy

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

FizFashizzle posted:

https://x.com/josephperson/status/1750707230725341572?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Oh yeah baby both the gm and head coach, and possibly a cap guy, all individually reporting. Gonna go great.

what’s with this team and doling out long coaching contracts? remember when they gave matt rhule a seven year $60M deal. lol

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

elime anning posted:

what’s with this team and doling out long coaching contracts? remember when they gave matt rhule a seven year $60M deal. lol

It's the Tepper Tax. Dude is unpleasant beyond his meddling to work for by all accounts pre- and post-Panthers purchase

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

elime anning posted:

IIRC, Rhule’s contract was Tepper being the new owner on the block showing he was willing to pay and take time to build a winner or whatever bullshit they said.

Now? Everyone knows Tepper is an asshat and the team is somehow worse off than before and you need to pay a hefty premium to get good staff, and there’s still a chance they all get fired when they don’t turn it around quickly enough to suit Tepper.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
yeah I remember being so bummed when the giants were close to hiring rhule and then tepper offered him a mega contract before they could even meet with him. oh well, at least they got some guy named joe judge? hopefully that works out for all parties involved

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

indigi posted:

in any case - even with Mahomes or Jackson - Patricia/Judge would be an awful decision. but to his (minimal, since he hired them in the first place) credit he moved on from them after one year.

I believe reporting at that time pretty heavily implied Kraft was the one who made him fire Patricia and hire a Bill O'Brien type.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Right now the Falcons could have had Lamar and Belichick.

Loser franchise.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FizFashizzle posted:

This is such a brave new world we live in, its a shame Tepper does not have any recent history to look at to see how this kind of arrangement can work out.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

FizFashizzle posted:

Isn't this the same thing they did with Rhule and also Reich? Long contract with a hosed up reporting structure?

Poco fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 26, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Poco posted:

Isn't this the same thing they dude with Rhule and also Reich? Long contract with a hosed up reporting structure?

basically. Rhule got seven years, and the reporting structure was him and Fitterer. But the real weird thing there is that Rhule basically said whatever Phil Snow, the DC, wanted him to say. This was the main point of contention when the defensive coaches (and likely Chris Tabor, special teams coach) rose up and knifed him behind his back. Obviously Wilks outlasted Rhule and righted the ship but that wasn't good enough for Tepper.

Reich was 4 years. Main input into the process was him, Reich, and cap expert Suleiman who was reportedly real big on the whole "trade up for bryce" thing. The cap guy. why does he have input there is anyone's guess. That team had multiple members of the offensive staff communicating above Reich's head. Considering who they promoted to HC and who was immediatley released, you can guess that Staley and McCown probably weren't on team Bryce. Should also be pointed out Tabor was kept on from the Rhule staff at Teppers request, and was reported as knifing Reich via text...again.

So now we're set up for the head coach on a six year deal and an internal hire general manager and potentially a new cap expert all individually reporting to Tepper. And we still might have Tabor lurking around, telling Tepper exactly what he wants to hear.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

FizFashizzle posted:

basically. Rhule got seven years, and the reporting structure was him and Fitterer. But the real weird thing there is that Rhule basically said whatever Phil Snow, the DC, wanted him to say. This was the main point of contention when the defensive coaches (and likely Chris Tabor, special teams coach) rose up and knifed him behind his back. Obviously Wilks outlasted Rhule and righted the ship but that wasn't good enough for Tepper.

Reich was 4 years. Main input into the process was him, Reich, and cap expert Suleiman who was reportedly real big on the whole "trade up for bryce" thing. The cap guy. why does he have input there is anyone's guess. That team had multiple members of the offensive staff communicating above Reich's head. Considering who they promoted to HC and who was immediatley released, you can guess that Staley and McCown probably weren't on team Bryce. Should also be pointed out Tabor was kept on from the Rhule staff at Teppers request, and was reported as knifing Reich via text...again.

So now we're set up for the head coach on a six year deal and an internal hire general manager and potentially a new cap expert all individually reporting to Tepper. And we still might have Tabor lurking around, telling Tepper exactly what he wants to hear.

This rules, I'm really looking forward to another dysfunctional 2 win season next year. At least Dave is getting paid for 6 years for theb12 or 14 games he coaches.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/mattschneidman/status/1750897933766082898?s=46

It’s over.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:sigh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean there are going to be several interviews so we will see

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
He might be alright as a DC, nobody has prime Aaron Donald, but he still may be okay idk

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Someone announce Dan Quinn to the Seahawks! Cowboys fans are owed that much!

https://x.com/JaimeEisner/status/1750900909511479788?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fsif posted:

I believe reporting at that time pretty heavily implied Kraft was the one who made him fire Patricia and hire a Bill O'Brien type.

Yeah I think Bill would have been fine keeping Patricia but Kraft told him to cut the crap. Also Judge got promoted to some kind of assistant head coach role after that season lol although with a focus on special teams (his actual background) instead of inexplicably being Mac’s QB coach.

He did not start making less-awful nepotism hires of his own accord

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 26, 2024