Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I dont know posted:

I've noticed the sister molester stopped appearing in the aussie toon dumps. Did something happen to him? Is there some actual justice in the universe?
A lot of the Aussie cartoonists have a holiday in January so it's hard to say. The same applies to Mark Knight in the Herald Sun who haven't updated their cartoons for weeks. Australia Day (today) is usually the milestone after which things get back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
so you're saying Australia Day will probably be when Leunig starts making cartoons again. another reason to change the date of australia day, to never

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ffffuck you, Fishman.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Bob Englehart

Carlos Latuff

Carlos Latuff posted:

BOLSONARO'S GESTAP
Or
"Speak I hear you, Ramagem"

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

A Very Confused David Horsey posted:

Americans are now embarked on what is likely to be one of the most demoralizing presidential elections ever, a retrograde campaign that will be largely divorced from any debate about the future perils facing humanity.

If things go as expected – and it is nearly impossible to imagine another scenario – President Joe Biden will face former President Donald Trump in a rerun of the 2020 race for the White House. As a result, there will be lots of talk about age (when the next inauguration rolls around, Biden will be 82 and Trump will be 78). Trump will still be yammering about a stolen election last time around – a totally bogus issue – and Biden will be warning about the death of democracy if Trump is elected – a significant, but likely exaggerated, fear.

There will be plenty of noise about border security, but little intelligent discussion. A lot of competing statistics about the economy will be bandied about, but no one will admit that the president’s influence on economic matters is much less significant than people imagine. Climate change – arguably the most pressing crisis of all – will, at least on one side, be reduced to complaints about gas prices and trash talk about electric cars.

If there is any actual debate about artificial intelligence, it will be a shock. There is no evidence the disturbing challenges inherent in AI have even registered in Trump’s narcissistic mind and the abstractions of the issue are too hard to explain in campaign slogans, so Biden is unlikely to make it part of his pitch.

Thus, the Big Tech billionaires will continue their race to build an ominously powerful artificial consciousness that could pose an existential threat to humanity, unfettered and largely unobserved by our political system.

Democracy can probably survive even the chaos and villainy of a second Trump administration, but it will certainly fall if the robots decide it is time to take control from human beings too shortsighted to save themselves from their own creations.

There are serious dangers posed by AI technology. Literal Terminators are not among them.

David M. Hitch

Dick Wright

Drew Sheneman

Ed Gamble

Jack Ohman

Jeff Koterba

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Darkow

Kirk Walters

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Marty Two Bulls

Matt Davies

Mike Smith

NEMØ

Patrick Chappatte

Paul Berge

Randall Enos

Rick McKee

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is there some sort of context I'm missing, or is this saying that avoiding toll booths is bad somehow? :psyduck:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

This is about equally as disingenuous a framing; both by proportion of participants and proportion of the overall population, using primary voters to reflect general election interest isn't valid.

the_steve posted:

Is there some sort of context I'm missing, or is this saying that avoiding toll booths is bad somehow? :psyduck:

Evasion is not avoidance. Think taxes: evasion means an illegal act, in this case taking the tolled road, bridge etc while not paying.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If you evade tolls, you can't have any $cumpass. How can you have $cumpass, if you evade your tolls?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Our Finest Legal Minds Weigh a Vexing Constitutional Controversy

Ted Rall posted:

The Supreme Court has agreed to consider the vexing question of whether Donald Trump should be disqualified from the presidential ballot under the 14th Amendment prohibition against insurrectionists. Too bad we don’t have smarter jurists.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

No doubt, Judge Learned Hand had a remarkable passion for the law. His brutal final years in crutches couldn't crush his enthusiasm for the court. But he had awful taste. More than any other Judge, Hand reinforced the hollow sentimentality and judicial restraint that compose the nasty side of the American character. Democratically oriented and politically unsophisticated, Hand was a sucker for the narrow precedent and speech freedoms brand of sappy watered-down-Formalist opinions, false odes to checks and balances that reinforce the toxic narrative that Americans (and their government) try to do the best they can. Hand was predeceased by his erstwhile sparring partner Oliver Wendell Holmes. Holmes gave "thumbs up" to cases like Buck v. Bell that challenge the ethical and political status quo. Hand belittled ground-breaking eugenics work by experimental researchers.

Hand wasn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing Brandenburg v. Ohio. He disagreed when I said it was boring, that Brandenburg is unreadable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong. He kept pointing to the case's historical importance, which I didn't dispute. A lot of judges are sharper than Hand was. Now that his death has opened up space in print and on the bench, it would be good if other, more audacious voices were allowed to be heard.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Drew Sheneman

Two years of watching this thread and finally someone did make me laugh out loud.
Oh, other than Collins of course, but he is an outlier and will not be counted.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Drawing perhaps the single most recognizable villain in the last 50 years of cinema.

Thoughtfully tap pen to lip.

Better add a label.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 26, 2024

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm curious about that lightsaber color. Not technically wrong but I mean shouldn't it be red?

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
It's to highlight Darth Vader/Toll E-Vader.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Alright, I'll respect that as much as any dad joke.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"hi i'm melinda, i go by she and her"

"SHUT UP YOU'RE LETTING THE ROBOTS WIN"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah there's a whole bunch of people so culturally insulated that "hey if we communicate mostly by email/groupchat and come from places with differently gendered naming conventions perhaps we should agree on a simple pronoun convention in the bio or footer" turns into "robots will transhuman your penis" because transphobia melts your brain.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

I still cannot believe that Rall thinks removing Trump from the ballot means that the Republicans don't get to run anyone. I thought initially that I might just be misunderstanding his cartoons, but he's double and tripled down on it by now. I wonder if he really is that dumb, or if he is trying to convince other people that this is how it works.

Discendo Vox posted:

No doubt, Judge Learned Hand had a remarkable passion for the law. His brutal final years in crutches couldn't crush his enthusiasm for the court. But he had awful taste. More than any other Judge, Hand reinforced the hollow sentimentality and judicial restraint that compose the nasty side of the American character. Democratically oriented and politically unsophisticated, Hand was a sucker for the narrow precedent and speech freedoms brand of sappy watered-down-Formalist opinions, false odes to checks and balances that reinforce the toxic narrative that Americans (and their government) try to do the best they can. Hand was predeceased by his erstwhile sparring partner Oliver Wendell Holmes. Holmes gave "thumbs up" to cases like Buck v. Bell that challenge the ethical and political status quo. Hand belittled ground-breaking eugenics work by experimental researchers.

Hand wasn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing Brandenburg v. Ohio. He disagreed when I said it was boring, that Brandenburg is unreadable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong. He kept pointing to the case's historical importance, which I didn't dispute. A lot of judges are sharper than Hand was. Now that his death has opened up space in print and on the bench, it would be good if other, more audacious voices were allowed to be heard.

:golfclap:

This has got to be one of the most obscure jokes I have ever read in my entire life. It has a complete potential audience of, what, maybe a dozen people? Astounding.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idonotlikepeas posted:

David Horsey

There are serious dangers posed by AI technology. Literal Terminators are not among them.
Two things equally responsible for commercially-exploitative AI usage:
1. Billionaires funding AI to get rich
2. Ordinary citizens wanting their gender identity respected

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

That Rall sucks, but he nailed the Ketanji Brown Jackson caricature.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

idonotlikepeas posted:

David Horsey

He drew boobs on the mom terminator (mominator)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's pretty funny that the people who get the angriest at being told gender is a social construct are also compelled to assign gender to sexless objects.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mlnhd posted:

He drew boobs on the mom terminator (mominator)

And not even a patented Horsey Style Bomb-rear end Rack®. For shame.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

And not even a patented Horsey Style Bomb-rear end Rack®. For shame.

this is the true terror of the AI driven future. a world without bomb-rear end racks

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Angepain posted:

"hi i'm melinda, i go by she and her"

"SHUT UP YOU'RE LETTING THE ROBOTS WIN"

There's a generous interpretation of the comic in which Horsey is totally fine with Melinda and the people who object to her are the ones ushering in the robot apocalypse.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

It's pretty funny that the people who get the angriest at being told gender is a social construct are also compelled to assign gender to sexless objects.

Speakers of Romance languages?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

this is the true terror of the AI driven future. a world without bomb-rear end racks
I'm surprised that he didn't draw a pro-tech cartoon with drug users stealing the bomb-rear end racks off of robots to sell for scrap.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

I chuckled at this one. I feel dirty.

Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature and Worst Label

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

In 2023, according to police reports there were 617 murders across the entire city. The population of the city itself is about 2.7 million, with the greater metro area being about 9.4 million. But let's just pretend every murder was committed by someone actually living in the city proper, against someone who also lives in the city proper.

In this latest invasion, Israel has killed an estimated 26,000 people so far, in just under 4 months. The Gaza Strip's population is about 2.3 million, so let's just round that off to the same as Chicago just for convenience (if you calculate based on actual population instead of rounding off 400,000 people the numbers are even more extreme, but we'll se that doesn't really matter).

That means that the death toll in Gaza in 4 months is about 42 times higher than in Chicago's entire year. Prorated to an equal time period, it's about 169 times higher.

In conclusion: gently caress off

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

There are still places you can evade tolls? Everywhere I’ve been lately they don’t even have people in the booths anymore. They just take your picture and send you a bill if you don’t have EZ Pass.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the_steve posted:

Murdstone posted:

There are still places you can evade tolls? Everywhere I’ve been lately they don’t even have people in the booths anymore. They just take your picture and send you a bill if you don’t have EZ Pass.

It might be in response to this recent article.

quote:

New York City lost an estimated $108 million last year from drivers who used fake or obscured license plates to evade speed cameras, according to an audit published Monday by city Comptroller Brad Lander.
Lander said the problem has proven to not only undermine the city's speed and red light camera program, but also the technology used for toll collection by the MTA, Port Authority and state Thruway Authority. The report comes as the MTA prepares to launch its congestion pricing program, which will use license plate cameras to toll cars that do not have E-ZPass readers.
https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-license-plate-cheats-skirted-108m-in-speed-camera-tickets-last-year-audit-finds

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Hey Varvel, is there any particular reason you're depicting the razor wire on land instead of in the water where it actually is?

Oh, right, you're fully aware that the main moral issue with what they're doing is people dying of drowning and you know that looks bad you weasely gently caress

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ah.
Not gonna lie, I have a very difficult time finding any sympathy for the poor toll road people when PA gets a yearly "Because gently caress you, that's why" rate hike.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Angepain posted:

Not from the majority of AI art I've seen.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It is, in fact, in response to that:

https://twitter.com/MatttDavies/status/1750658645921005774

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the link between knife crime and austerity – Knife crime in Britain has risen after government cuts to youth services and a resulting lack of opportunities for young people"

Telegraph:

Reform UK support surges to record high

Matt:

Independent:

No 10 defends September date for zombie-style blades ban

Times:

Evening Standard:

Stephen Collins:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009