Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Three Olives posted:

In other news, the conservatives on the SCOTUS gave the OK for Alabama to execute a person via suffocation, the first time it has ever been tried and actually to everyone's relief it went really well.

Wait, it was the other thing, a prolonged horrible death.

Super cool country.

This is... Odd.

I've heard about inert gas asphyxiation being recommended by voluntary euthanasia related medical professionals on the basis of the reliability and relative lack of trauma. The idea is that when air is 100% replaced by inert gas there's no "loss of breath" feeling because that feeling is caused by CO2 buildup, and there isn't any. So the person loses consciousness in a handful of seconds without the "urk can't breathe" feeling, after which brain death occurs.

So I'm curious if inert gas isn't as humane as thought, or if the prison just hosed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beefed Owl posted:

For anyone in the thread concerned about the United States military somehow turning against the federal government and the President. Don't worry, they've thought of that scenario.

The government has put so much goddamn money into research and testing to make drat sure that every soldier they turn out doesn't turn against them. The entire chain of command and the entire basis for how the military operates is specifically designed so that there is no way they could organize or would want to organize against the country or the president.

Not saying they don't turn out some crazy people but there's just no logistical way it could happen.

I've always kind of wondered specifically about the Marines and how they seem to have their own whole thing going on wrt loyalty to the Marines itself rather than to the country or the Constitution. How does all this institutional loyalty stuff square with all the 1 2 3 4 I LOVE THE MARINE CORPS stuff we get in R Lee Ermey movies

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Marines are the Navy's meat shields and they'll do what the Navy says.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

This is... Odd.

I've heard about inert gas asphyxiation being recommended by voluntary euthanasia related medical professionals on the basis of the reliability and relative lack of trauma. The idea is that when air is 100% replaced by inert gas there's no "loss of breath" feeling because that feeling is caused by CO2 buildup, and there isn't any. So the person loses consciousness in a handful of seconds without the "urk can't breathe" feeling, after which brain death occurs.

So I'm curious if inert gas isn't as humane as thought, or if the prison just hosed it up.

It's probbly not the gas but the situation. People who don't want to be killed tend to react badly, regardless of the means.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
they can't acquire the chemicals for lethal injection anymore and the electric chair is illegal as inhumane, so now they're just trying out new poo poo bc we can't NOT be killing people, jesus loving christ. that is absolutely horrific.

and yes the people who come up with this poo poo are Just Some Guy. The dude who came up with lethal injection was a legislator with no medical background who now regrets it and admits he made it up (without any qualifications!!!) to ease his own guilt at being a proponent of the death penalty.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/news/new-voices-originator-of-lethal-injection-voices-regrets-opposes-death-penalty

quote:

Bill Wiseman, the former Oklahoma legislator who introduced lethal injection as a method of execution in the U.S. in order to make death row inmates’ deaths more humane, now regrets having pushed the concept into law. He notes that he introduced the measure in order to ease his shame for having voted to restore the death penalty in Oklahoma, stating, “I’m sorry for what I did. I hope someday to offset it by helping us realize that capital punishment is wrong and self-destructive.” While discussing recent court challenges regarding lethal injection practices, Wiseman stated, “I’m aware of my responsibility. It keeps me tied to the problem. And the problem is that we’re killing people. That’s what’s wrong, not how we’re doing it.” Wiseman is no longer an elected official and was recently ordained as an Episcopal priest.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 26, 2024

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

He was aware that his act of feeling sleepy and passing out would be the last time he ever did it. He reacted by frantically trying to stay awake. Physically, his body was not reacting to too much Nitrogen. Mentally, he was in desperate, fight to survive and stay awake and God help me, can't they see I am dying, why won't they help me, I want my mother please....

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
And just to make it even more lovely, the state already botched a previous attempt at executing the guy (Alabama suuuucks at execution; there’s a ton of cases of them botching executions). So, imagine knowing the state’s going to kill you, then they gently caress it up horribly so now you’re even more traumatized, and then they get to try all over again with an “experimental” method.

It’s like midieval torture-level poo poo.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Yeah, when I first heard of this nitrogen idea I thought it would be relatively humane (as far as executions go, which should never happen in the first place). You’d fall unconscious quickly and wouldn’t be aware of anything, like when people accidentally die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

But in those cases, the people aren’t aware that they’re being killed, just feeling oddly sleepy and then it’s all over.

But this guy was fully aware of what was happening to him which must make a massive difference in the reaction to losing oxygen.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it's seriously a bunch of good ol' boys, thinking of this as a problem you can tackle like a loving livestock problem. how to dispatch of the creatures humanely, hmmm, hmmmmm? but people aren't livestock.

and even then, the person who so far has been best at designing things for livestock execution, has been someone who has empathized with them on such a deep level she couldn't stand their suffering (Temple Grandin). It's not a logical problem to solve.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 26, 2024

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Lady and The Trump

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Carth Dookie posted:

This is... Odd.

They said the dude gasped for minutes while grabbing at his straps and trying to get up.

You wanna go like that? I fuckin don't. The death penalty is barbaric and this idea that you can be "for life" and support murder is pathetic and we should be mocking them as murderers more.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

They said the dude gasped for minutes while grabbing at his straps and trying to get up.

You wanna go like that? I fuckin don't. The death penalty is barbaric and this idea that you can be "for life" and support murder is pathetic and we should be mocking them as murderers more.

Yup, a big part of the reason the lethal injection process includes a paralytic is to make the audience feel better about the situation. Those horrifying videos/stories of people thrashing around during a botched lethal injection are usually when that paralytic fails (bad batch, missed injection, individual reaction) so we get to see what it's actually like. Other times, the paralytic works but the drug that's supposed to make you unconscious doesn't, so the prisoner is visibly lucid and in terrible pain, but can't move.

Civilized country we've got here.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Data Graham posted:

I've always kind of wondered specifically about the Marines and how they seem to have their own whole thing going on wrt loyalty to the Marines itself rather than to the country or the Constitution. How does all this institutional loyalty stuff square with all the 1 2 3 4 I LOVE THE MARINE CORPS stuff we get in R Lee Ermey movies

I've heard a lot of theories on why THE MARINES is a whole thing (not the sub-branch of the military, the culture around it). The one I buy into is that pretty much from the Spanish-American War to the invasion of Iraq the Marines were the first ones in, so they got the most stories about them which translated into books and movies being made about the Marines heroically facing enemy fire because holding a position long term is the Army's job and that poo poo is boring even if they get shot at more. So pop culture tells you that the REAL soldiers are the Marines and they are the elites and can't fail. Tom Lehrer had a song about them being the way the US projects force in the world and that view hasn't really changed in the last 60 years. "He was a Marine" or some variation of (usually "He IS a Marine, soldier!") is shorthand for a character being a badass. There are several movie series where the entire concept is a Marine does poo poo no one else could against the odds. Sniper, Shooter and the very on the nose The Marine all feature main characters who are just amazing because the Marines made them that way.

The idea is that the Marines are a special thing and so people who were in the Marines obsess about how cool it is that they were a Marine. I have a number of friends who were in the Army and Air Force and they're nowhere near as obsessed about having been in those branches. Not saying all Marines are like that, but I don't see stickers on the back windows of pickup trucks letting me know the owner was a Ranger or whatever.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Almost Smart posted:

There’s almost enough there to create another Law & Order spin-off.

Law & Order: Trump Crimes :doink:

With being indicted on 91 felonies, they could probably get 100 years of programming out of it. Plus all the new crimes he commits!

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

The simple colors, the one simple symbol, and the set up of the barbed wire in the middle like that just struck me as similar in design to the flag. At the same time, I saw it after helping doing tech support for 5 hours of art classes with my son. I can accept my brain was processing design influence where there was none.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

It’s funny how the “last words” are always quoted as some kind of statement. Is it because the rest is just screaming? They aren’t gagged. You expect me to believe they all just die in silence?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

I've heard a lot of theories on why THE MARINES is a whole thing (not the sub-branch of the military, the culture around it). The one I buy into is that pretty much from the Spanish-American War to the invasion of Iraq the Marines were the first ones in, so they got the most stories about them which translated into books and movies being made about the Marines heroically facing enemy fire because holding a position long term is the Army's job and that poo poo is boring even if they get shot at more. So pop culture tells you that the REAL soldiers are the Marines and they are the elites and can't fail. Tom Lehrer had a song about them being the way the US projects force in the world and that view hasn't really changed in the last 60 years. "He was a Marine" or some variation of (usually "He IS a Marine, soldier!") is shorthand for a character being a badass. There are several movie series where the entire concept is a Marine does poo poo no one else could against the odds. Sniper, Shooter and the very on the nose The Marine all feature main characters who are just amazing because the Marines made them that way.

The idea is that the Marines are a special thing and so people who were in the Marines obsess about how cool it is that they were a Marine. I have a number of friends who were in the Army and Air Force and they're nowhere near as obsessed about having been in those branches. Not saying all Marines are like that, but I don't see stickers on the back windows of pickup trucks letting me know the owner was a Ranger or whatever.

The marines have been the default expeditionary force for a lot of US history, they get to be the tip of the spear for all sorts of lovely foreign policy. You have to motivate people to do something like that, and creating an ethos of being badasses is easier than maybe not inflicting violence for the interests of capital.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yup, a big part of the reason the lethal injection process includes a paralytic is to make the audience feel better about the situation. Those horrifying videos/stories of people thrashing around during a botched lethal injection are usually when that paralytic fails (bad batch, missed injection, individual reaction) so we get to see what it's actually like. Other times, the paralytic works but the drug that's supposed to make you unconscious doesn't, so the prisoner is visibly lucid and in terrible pain, but can't move.

Civilized country we've got here.

Firing squad is probably the most humane method available but it's gory and the observers get squeamish. So instead we have people dying in agony unable to move because it looks cleaner.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

BrideOfUglycat posted:

The simple colors, the one simple symbol, and the set up of the barbed wire in the middle like that just struck me as similar in design to the flag. At the same time, I saw it after helping doing tech support for 5 hours of art classes with my son. I can accept my brain was processing design influence where there was none.

Bro it’s a Gadsden flag

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

greazeball posted:

coling arguments in the defamation case today, does the jury start deliberating right away? will we get a decision today?

also, ENGORON better hurry the gently caress up with his ruling, January's almost over!!!
In the defamation case the jury will receive the case by lunch and we may well get a decision by the end of day. Engoron in the other case held in NY is likely busy writing the decision and that may take time because there are several components: whether any or all of the defendants were aware of the fraud in the companies, how willful/material the fraud was, whether any are barred from conducting business in the states, what the damage from the fraud was, and how much the state can levy as a fine. There will be a lot of cross referencing to statute and the record to support the decision and that's the kind of thing you really don't want to rush.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

HappyHippo posted:

Firing squad is probably the most humane method available but it's gory and the observers get squeamish. So instead we have people dying in agony unable to move because it looks cleaner.

I may be cynical, but I doubt most death penalty supporters care about being humane, and likely want the opposite (because people sentenced to death deserve to suffer, up to and including to their last breath). The idea of execution being humane is just to gloss over the fact that they want to see people killed, which is unflattering.

If there was really interest in making it humane, execution would be rendered by a lethal dose of morphine or something.

Anyway, Tromp!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ars Arcanum posted:

If there was really interest in making it humane, execution would be rendered by a lethal dose of morphine or something.

Which itself is going to have the same issue as nitrogen asphyxiation or etc, because the prisoner still knows he's getting killed and will panic and it will suck. The real answer is one of those sci-fi stories about how they set you free to wander around and then have a sniper get you when you're least expecting it.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Data Graham posted:

Which itself is going to have the same issue as nitrogen asphyxiation or etc, because the prisoner still knows he's getting killed and will panic and it will suck. The real answer is one of those sci-fi stories about how they set you free to wander around and then have a sniper get you when you're least expecting it.

The real answer is "killing people isn't a deterrent for murder and we should abolish the death penalty." But you know that involves thinking and solutions and compassion and we aren't good at those things.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The state executing people is not humane no matter how it's done.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Why isn't exile a thing anymore? The US apparently owns 9 uninhabited islands and atolls.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why isn't exile a thing anymore? The US apparently owns 9 uninhabited islands and atolls.

A lot of those are used by the Department of Defense for things.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Trump's Elba will be Little St James

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They never tested an H-bomb on Pitcairn, weird

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just surprise me with a massive hit of fentanyl in my last meal so at least I can go out blissfully unaware

Or just abolish totalitarian state-sponsored human sacrifice

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

They never tested an H-bomb on Pitcairn, weird

Pitcairn is British.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://ak2.rmbl.ws/s8/2/D/b/P/w/DbPwp.caa.mp4?b=1&u=ummtf

A minute long rant about the E Jean Carroll trial. Closing arguments are today, and deliberation. There's a good chance it wraps up today. I hope they clear his rear end out.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hmmm yes keep talking about how it’s all fake and she’s a liar, focus extremely heavily on this one issue and shout it from the rooftops, Don

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommieGIR posted:

Pitcairn is British.

Stop ruining my nonsensical jokes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kazil posted:

A minute long rant about the E Jean Carroll trial. Closing arguments are today, and deliberation. There's a good chance it wraps up today. I hope they clear his rear end out.

the best part is this will come out of the GOP coffers one way or another. so keep screaming donny.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Toxic Mental posted:

Just surprise me with a massive hit of fentanyl in my last meal so at least I can go out blissfully unaware

Or just abolish totalitarian state-sponsored human sacrifice

Between that and the Nitrogen affixation you've hit two of the three methods people chose for death in Operation Hail Mary. I feel like the opioid/opiate death would be the least horrible, but I'm sure that the prison system would make it miserable as possible.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

kazil posted:

There's a good chance it wraps up today.

Until the next time he defames her, so, by Wednesday or so.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of those are used by the Department of Defense for things.
I'm not seeing an issue

kazil posted:

can you introduce new evidence before closing arguments?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol between Donald Trump and Acererick Scott, the GOP's coffers never knew what hit 'em

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Lazyfire posted:

Between that and the Nitrogen affixation you've hit two of the three methods people chose for death in Operation Hail Mary. I feel like the opioid/opiate death would be the least horrible, but I'm sure that the prison system would make it miserable as possible.

Do you mean Project Hail Mary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Carth Dookie posted:

The mask wasn't airtight and the dude held his breath because he didn't want to die.