Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i can understand making the decision, why announce it in january?

Maybe I'm being naive but to me, from the two minute twitter video, it looks like he simply thinks it's the right thing to do. Especially for the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
he should just take a year off and then come back. Let Miniklopp run the team for a season

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This is how he left Dortmund too

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
4th officials throughout the land will rest a little easier tonight

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Fabrizio Romano tweeted that Klopp informed the club (and, presumably, the players) of this decision in November, so maybe he’s announcing it now is because they’re finalizing a replacement already.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Fabrizio Romano tweeted that Klopp informed the club (and, presumably, the players) of this decision in November, so maybe announcing he’s announcing it now is because they’re finalizing a replacement already.

An article I was reading about it had more of his comments that weren't in the video:

quote:

Klopp said there were no underlying health issues for his departure. “I am OK. I am healthy, as much as you can be at my age. I told the club already in November. I have to explain a little bit that maybe the job I do people see from the outside, I’m on the touchline and in training sessions and stuff like this, but the majority of all the things happen around these kind of things.

“That means a season starts and you plan pretty much the next season already. When we sat there together talking about potential signings, the next summer camp and can we go wherever, the thought came up: ‘I am not sure I am here then any more,’ and I was surprised myself by that. I obviously start thinking about it.

“It didn’t start [then], but of course last season was kind of a super-difficult season and there were moments when at other clubs probably the decision would have been: ‘Come on, thank you very much for everything but probably we should split here, or end it here.’ That didn’t happen here, obviously. For me it was super-, super-, super-important that I can help to bring this team back on to the rails. It was all I was thinking about. When I realised pretty early that happened, it’s a really good team with massive potential and a super age group, super characters and all that, then I could start thinking about myself again and that was the outcome. It is not what I want to do, it is just what I think is 100% right. That’s it.”

so yeah, told the club in November, and he says it isn't a health thing it's just that burnout symptom where you're thinking about the future and you think "ah but I could be gone by then" and it gets more and more appealing

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Is the league ready for a manager as sexy as Xabi?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm wondering if he regrets (for lack of a better word) signing the extension which carried him from 2024 to 2026 a little bit, and he's decided to go out on the original date. Last year (and the 2020/21 season) was pretty rough, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided that was enough for him.

Joke answer is that he's wanted to leave for a while but he had to make sure that it was impossible for Gerrard to be his replacement before he confirmed it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

drat. Make it count, Jurgen.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
This sounds ludicrous, and even like a joke, but it's not. And I don't even mean Klopp, he's just the catalyst. But I imagine burnout is common, even if few are as upfront about their own needs and desires as Klopp. But it'd be really loving cool to see a top men's club managers who's done all he feels he can do, at least for now, go to a top women's club. Not for a rest or step down (which I don't think it'd be) but for the new challenge.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Just saw that Lijnders is leaving too, which I'm really surprised by. I honestly expected him to be the replacement next season, given how much he's been involved on a tactical/personnel level.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin's quote makes it sound like he's been seeing the writing on the wall for some time but just didn't want to leave the club in a bad situation (old and busted midfield needs a complete rebuild). now he feels things are in a relatively good spot to hand over to someone else and he can give the club enough time to do a proper search in public and the fans will hear it first from him and not from some scoop on Twitter.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Klopp can be a terrifying rear end in a top hat but I will miss him. I think we were all waiting for Pep to go first, so this is a real surprise.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pep as the longest serving PL manager has something bleak about it

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Sad, but it was the only way to rescue Xabi from The Farmersliga

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I'm all hosed up, this sucks so deeply

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

paddyboat posted:

Sad, but it was the only way to rescue Xabi from The Farmersliga

he's doing great there

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1750859163452776584

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Until someone makes a Xabi Alonso fanfic thread, I guess I have to post this here:

As the players arrived at training, they noticed a cloaked figure already out on the pitch. He seemed to float through the morning fog with the ball attached to his feet before unleashing a blistering strike into the top corner of the goal from 75 yards away.

"Wow, who is this new player we've signed?" Mo Salah said in an absolutely perfect way because he is absolutely perfect. "We'll surely win the league with him in our squad!"

"I don't know," said Virgil, also in an absolutely perfect way. "Now all we need is a manager and we'll win the Champions League".

The mysterious figure walked over towards them and pulled back his hood sexily. "It's me, Xabi Alonso", he said handsomely. "And you're right...we are going to win every trophy", he said Kloppishly. Then he sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" in an absolutely perfect way and Liverpool went on to win the league.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/jamespearcelfc/status/1750839452191044042

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope he manages Man City in an ultimate heel turn

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But as a double agent, and gets them relegated on purpose (from the Vanarama league they got put into as a result of their numerous crimes).

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Klopp to Rangers confirmed

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

tristeham posted:

he's doing great there

I’m aware

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
thats too bad, i wish kloppo would stay at liverpoo forever so that they could continue not winning anything forever

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

cant believe klopp is taking over at cardiff

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Voluntarily freeing up some wages to allow the mbappe transfer to go ahead. A legend.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Is the league ready for a manager as sexy as Xabi?

Arteta is already employed

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're going to get him in at Wrexham

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

kri kri posted:

Arteta is already employed

Funny way to spell "Pep"

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I mean, Southgate is loving off to ruin some club after the Euros, just saying there is a spot there ready and waiting with a built-in 6-month sabbatical before he would even have to do anything.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dravs posted:

I mean, Southgate is loving off to ruin some club after the Euros, just saying there is a spot there ready and waiting with a built-in 6-month sabbatical before he would even have to do anything.

ah yes, that classic stress-free job perfect for a burned out manager, the England National Team

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Dravs posted:

lol hes not touching that one.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like time off could bring back motivation for him to atleast comeback once.

If he is done, he was one of the greats of this generation. Great football and kept up with a cheating Man City toe to toe.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Ulio posted:

I feel like time off could bring back motivation for him to atleast comeback once.

If he is done, he was one of the greats of this generation. Great football and kept up with a cheating Man City toe to toe.

you dont have to win many trophies to be one of the greats but he is one of the greats

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

The ole Fabian Delph maneuver.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Turdman's Final Plopp

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
In ten years, liverpool under klopp have won:

1 (one) FA cup

1 (one) league cup

1 (one) champions league

and 1 (one) league title with the biggest asterisk since the advent of written language

not sure if they can find another manager who can also reach these dizzying heights tbh. truly a once in a lifetime savant

nawilo_420 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 26, 2024

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Manchester United have also won four major trophies in the same time period, and they've been in crisis/rebuilding the entire time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

nawilo_420 posted:

In ten years, liverpool under klopp have won:

1 (one) FA cup

1 (one) league cup

1 (one) champions league

and 1 (one) league title with the biggest asterisk since the advent of written language

not sure if they can find another manager who can also reach these dizzying heights tbh. truly a once in a lifetime savant

Don't forget the Oliwan Sucks Dick Cup.