Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Very glad to hear it! I rarely give tech advice that works out (if it's not audio-related).

Now, goons, I have a question; when I boot up Valheim on my Steam deck, I have the option to launch the game or launch the game with OpenGL. I assume that, with those options, the non-OpenGL option means I'm using Vulkan?

It might be a moot point, because I can't notice a difference :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Dumb question, but does armor apply to damage done to your mage shield? Right now I've been using a carapace helmet and mage chest/legs for more regen and faster movespeed while still having some armor, but I'm not sure that extra armor is even doing anything for me at all if I'm going to have a mage shield up at all times.

I like how the Fenris, Mage, and Carapace armors all still have value in the Mistlands. Hell, the Padded set is better than the Carapace for awhile because of the upgraded tier disparities.

E: it seems it does not, at least with some rough testing. Well, time to get a hood of either the mage or fenris variety instead! Shame, it would have made playing a mixed fighter a nice option for using both stamina and magic as damage options. As is it seems like you're encouraged to go all in on mage or not at all.

E2: I just beat the Queen and I have no idea how you do this solo without magic. As it was I died once and it still took maybe 30 minutes. I used the fire, shield, and skeleton staffs with himmin afl as backup, with two eitr and one stamina food. I spent all my stamina running around and just firebombed everything. I also spent way too long hunting gjall to get enough bilebombs which helped for when I needed AoE and was out of eitr or stamina.

Skills were maybe 20 in all relevant skills except blood magic which was like 10. I die a lot when building things.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 17, 2024

Burns
May 10, 2008

Update from the devs on Ashlands

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3944657442716053730?l=english

Also new video chat in the above link.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That fallen valkyrie looks so good

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm trying to get back into Valheim and so far the biggest obstacle is that I have no memory which of my characters was for which server/world/playthrough. :psyduck:

40% steam sale means I bought the game for a friend and we started a new playthrough, but I gotta continue my own things too! Argh!

Edit: Looking at my old posts,

Vanadium posted:

I'm thinking I should probably shelve the game until enough updates come out to lure my friends back in.

Yeah that never happened, huh.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 26, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I absolutely love the building in this game, holy poo poo. I love having to actually take into consideration stability. On paper, it sounds like it'd be tedious, but it's like just on the cusp of being that way, but not.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Still wild to me that a major new game mechanic and playstyle, magic, is introduced so late in the game.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I absolutely love the building in this game, holy poo poo. I love having to actually take into consideration stability. On paper, it sounds like it'd be tedious, but it's like just on the cusp of being that way, but not.

It’s ruined building in a lot of similar games for me, they really nailed it. Especially now that they have the extra snapping options.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Still wild to me that a major new game mechanic and playstyle, magic, is introduced so late in the game.

Yeah it feels like they could have added a weak intro version around mountains and tie it to silver.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah it feels like they could have added a weak intro version around mountains and tie it to silver.

This is exactly how I feel about the fishing rod, except maybe introduce a basic version in either the meadows or black forest. Maybe it breaks easier, or uses way too much stamina, or perhaps the better version helps attract more fish, or has a high chance of not using up the bait.

Something, guys... C'mon....

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The fishing rod is available in the black forest, though? You just buy it from Haldor. I honestly had to look up that it was possible to get it any other way; I think I’ve seen exactly one of those frost cave lakes in 3-4 playthroughs.

Maybe you’ve just been unlucky about finding Haldor; you’re definitely supposed to find him in the forest. Ugh, doing swamps without the belt sounds awful.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 26, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

rjmccall posted:

The fishing rod is available in the black forest, though? You just buy it from Haldor. I honestly had to look up that it was possible to get it any other way; I think I’ve seen exactly one of those frost cave lakes in 3-4 playthroughs.

I just mean that, as I've complained before and officially suggested to the devs via the Steam suggestion thread, it seems kind of weird and unnecessary to gate the fishing rod by only allowing you to buy it from the trader (who, a lot of the time, can't easily be discovered). You can build a mansion from stuff found in the meadows and ore found in the black forest, but can't make a fishing rod?

I get the belt that gives you an extra 150 weight allowance, that's essentially magical. I'd even get fancy rare baits sold by him. But the rod itself should be something you learn to make yourself like the moment you pick up the hammer, or maybe even when you first cut down a birch tree and get fine wood.

On our current server, the locations for Haldor were in fact in the black forest, but they were way, way off in directions we might not even have gone to until much, much later. We just decided to put the world seed into that website that shows you where everything is, and then beelined for where he was.

And this also happened the last few worlds I'd made over the past year and a half. If there was a stone that marked him on your map like the bosses get marked, ok, great. Still though, the fishing rod is an extremely simple tool that I'd think is much easier to craft than a literal forge, for example.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 26, 2024

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Sure, I can agree that you should be able to craft it. But the trader is definitely designed to be easily found; in my experience he’s hard to miss if you’ve explored multiple forests at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

Sure, I can agree that you should be able to craft it. But the trader is definitely designed to be easily found; in my experience he’s hard to miss if you’ve explored multiple forests at all.
It can be a huge pain to find him. It essentially can turn your mid-forest time into an extensive voyage that can eat a ton of time and feels very isolated from the rest of the game.

It's worth doing, but depending on the mapgen can suck. The idea of adding some merchant vegvisir isn't a bad one.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I like that idea. Maybe they could use the mapless mechanic where it just like gives you a heading to the closest one.

Still, he’s constrained to spawn (1) in the forest and (2) within a fairly small radius from the starting location, and he’s got multiple possible spawns. It really does take pretty lovely luck to not just stumble across him, and whenever I’ve had to actually look for him, it’s been pretty straightforward.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 26, 2024

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

My first playthrough with a group of idk like six fairly enthusiastic people, we didn't find the trader until we'd gone through all other then-available content and all but me and another guy had hosed off to play other games and never logged in again. We pretty much stuck it out just to say we did. I don't remember other playthroughs as well but I'm pretty sure I never saw the trader without someone deciding to put everything else on hold and just brute force search the world for hours. My current playthrough is the first time I've seen the trader before swamp, because someone decided to wander off and go exploring while I was mining copper grumble grumble, and it was on the same landmass as spawn.

If it's designed to be an early game thing, it's an awful implementation of that design.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
A basic game mechanic like fishing should not be gated by something like discovering the trader. Like the other poster said, it sucks to see fish but have no way to catch them because you haven't found the magical dwarf who unlocks the only way to engage with that food source.

Build a windmill or a suit of iron armor? Sure. Tie a string to a stick? Only the gods know how.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vanadium posted:

I'm trying to get back into Valheim and so far the biggest obstacle is that I have no memory which of my characters was for which server/world/playthrough. :psyduck:

40% steam sale means I bought the game for a friend and we started a new playthrough, but I gotta continue my own things too! Argh!

Edit: Looking at my old posts,

Yeah that never happened, huh.

If the worlds your old characters are from are relatively old it might be best to start anew anyways. You won’t find any of the new stuff in places you’ve already explored.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, I feel like a really lovely fishing rod could be made bronze age and you buy a better one, just to access fishing reliably. Just cap what fish you can reel in with the handmade one.

On that note ymir flesh should be available in other ways too. Finding and building a portal to the trader is one of those "must do" things in a way that feels more restrictive.

If they make sailing more interactive and expand on the ocean biome somehow, I wouldn't mind as much, but unless you get a serpent spawn the sailing feels pretty empty and unlike exploring for crypts you don't do anything while sailing. Roaming around the black forest or swamps for crypts means finding copper, various spawners, trolls, abominations, flame geysers, and a whole lot of enemies. Sailing for the trader means finding leviathans and maybe serpents. I did find sailing for the trader more enjoyable when I added in a sailing skills mod and a map radius expansion mod because then I was mapping landmasses too. (Later games I just looked up a location).

It feels like they want you to just explore the world and encounter the trader naturally, but in practice i haven't experienced that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

A basic game mechanic like fishing should not be gated by something like discovering the trader. Like the other poster said, it sucks to see fish but have no way to catch them because you haven't found the magical dwarf who unlocks the only way to engage with that food source.

Build a windmill or a suit of iron armor? Sure. Tie a string to a stick? Only the gods know how.

Thank you, yes, you are my people.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

my friends and I have been playing for probably 30 hours and not found him. we're actually doing the thing where we're sailing around now trying to find new Black Forest continents. it sucks.

e: we did find Hildir tho. yayyyyy

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 26, 2024

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

I mean, if finding the trader turns really annoying and you don't want to do it anymore, just toss your save file or your world seed here

https://valheim-map.world/

I don't actually mind the current implementation but still, yes, you should be able to craft a basic fishing rod with bronze age materials.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Similar to the fishing rod (which I actually don't care about because fishing is awful, I want fish traps drat it), I wish the stone cutter was available right away (possibly in a basic upgradeable form) just so I could place square foundation pieces down at the same time I get core wood.

Last time I played (while waiting for other people to be ready for boss fights) I ran around in the swamp killing blobs just to get two iron for that :v:

E: yea just tying it to Bronze rather than Iron would be a fine

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 26, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I agree, the stone cutter should definitely show up earlier than it does. Maybe only by a bit, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh, yeah, bronze stone cutter would be cool.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
There is really no good reason why the trader doesn't have a vegvisir. People playing for 50+ hours without finding a trader is by far the most common complaint I've seen. A huge % of the items that you gather in the Black Forest and Swamp are 100% useless without the trader.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If it weren't for youtube I would probably never have known he existed.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Yes, there ought to be an easier way to find the merchants besides happening on a spawn. On hardcore without a map its even more difficult.

On fishing: fish is not terribly useful until Plains where recipes become available. Not having a fishing rod is generally not a big deal until Plains.

I think stone building under normal progression is well placed. I just wish core wood was better and more durable.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think stonecutting is basically right in the progression. Making it available in the forest would be nuts.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I wish the stone cutter was a tool and not a placeable object. Needing to transport iron over land or sea to build stuff out of stone is kind of obnoxious, and even though you can adjust that in server settings it should really be the default.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I want to see in a future patch or mod for this game is for them to add way more structures you can find generated around the map, it's neat to find a ruined tower or house but after a couple times you've seen every variation of it and the couple gold and arrow chest inside.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Having earlier access to stone construction wouldn't make a difference in gameplay because stone walls aren't that great defensively. Obviously they last longer than wood walls but they can still be worn down pretty quickly by enemies like trolls, especially the log ones. If you're worried about defense the answer is to make earth walls with the hoe, which you can do from the start.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I want to see in a future patch or mod for this game is for them to add way more structures you can find generated around the map, it's neat to find a ruined tower or house but after a couple times you've seen every variation of it and the couple gold and arrow chest inside.
Yeah I'd love a ton more ruined presets available since I do often use them for ideas, waystations, or base locations.

Bonus if they easily fit into being renovated and are only made out of stuff you can build yourself so you can repair and rebuild them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the point of stone isn't walls, it's easily made flat pads to build on

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The real point of stone is being able to build higher, more elaborate structures IMO

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The point of stone is to start building a castle in the plains, realize just how much stone you actually need, and burning out.

Why yes, this has happened to me three times why do you ask?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Vasudus posted:

The point of stone is to start building a castle in the plains, realize just how much stone you actually need, and burning out.

Why yes, this has happened to me three times why do you ask?

And that is why increasing yields even by 1.5x is critical.

Next, I want to bring up a petpeeve of mine in a lot of third person games. I really hate capes, mostly because any nice armor design you wear you cant see because of big rear end capes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bird food bathtub posted:

I kinda like it. It makes it feel like a steady climb to the limits of mortal ability, and then beyond. More momentous that way.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
A few buddies and I have decided to tinker around with Valheim again, as the midwest winter drags on and indoor activities are preferable to stomping around in the slush.

We've put together a (relatively svelte) 82-mod pack, the bulk of which is QoL changes and new skills (sailing, blacksmithing, etc.).

I think the standout, which I haven't seen mentioned before ITT, is Seasonality. It adds dynamic seasons to the world, complete with texture changes and a ton of config options - including whether winter always makes you cold, or if the water freezes. I've tentatively enabled the latter, and am anxiously awaiting the day I get a longship stuck in the ice somewhere.

The texture changes might not be to everyone's taste, but after hundreds of hours of the same meadows, I find the spring to be quite charming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Got a modlist code from the mod manager? I'm interested in seeing what you guys got cooking.