Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: hot cocoa on the couch)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

redshirt posted:

I bought a Switch for my niece and have played Mario Kart and some other Mario stuff, but not really my thing. I bought Zelda for her which seems way more interesting, but she gave up on it.

perhaps you should have bought her a Shovel instead of a Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

She's already a shoveler.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

redshirt posted:

Hmm, if I go PC, I could also use it for work, and thus a possible partial tax deduction.

You've found your answer!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’d say whichever format has the best version of

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’d say whichever format has the best version of

I shovel all day, then come home and play Shovel Simulator all night. Go to bed, dreaming of shoveling....

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Bad Purchase posted:

“ok I bought you a switch but... it’s located somewhere under these 24” of snow covering my basketball court...”

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

I shovel all day, then come home and play Shovel Simulator all night. Go to bed, dreaming of shoveling....

lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Shovel in the morning
Shovel in the evening
Shovel all week long

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Hmm, if I go PC, I could also use it for work, and thus a possible partial tax deduction.

sounds like a sick write off OP, let me know when you get Steam and I'll send you some leftover codes I have

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So a gaming PC. Am I required to hand craft this PC, with a clear case and LED lights and some incredibly overkill cooling system?

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 years!)

redshirt posted:

So a gaming PC. Am I required to hand craft this PC, with a clear case and LED lights and some incredibly overkill cooling system?

if you do not at least get a liquid cooling system for your CPU, there's going to be hell to pay come sunday

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

protip: if you have a costo membership, they have prebuilt PCs that are pretty decently priced for what they are, plus they have a 90 day return policy on PCs, no questions asked, plus their extremely lax return policy. But yeah you don't have to build it yourself anymore, there's plenty of pre-built options that are competitively priced

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I simply imagine video games with the power of the mind

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If you do build it yourself, i highly recommend using those rubber screws for your case fans if possible. Theeading those case fans is the worst part of building a pc imo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I simply imagine video games with the power of the mind

You read LitRPG?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I live next to a Microcenter and if, god forbid, my 7 year old gaming PC finally explodes, I'm just gonna buy a premade lol. gently caress cases and Newegg and all that poo poo

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Building a pc is for the manly men who gently caress alot

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
building a PC is really fun

if you're a fuckin nerd!!!

i built my own pc for the record

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

oh for sure

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Saalkin posted:

It’s true. I mean I’m not having any gently caress time but others are. I’m sure of it.

So PC it is. Just browse https://pcpartpicker.com/ for a build in your price range. There’s no more guess work, someone else has already figured out all the bs for you.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'm building a pc and loving right now

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
i looked at prebuilds a couple years ago when i upgraded but the prices were insane compared to just buying the stuff yourself

the only time i’ve seen prebuilds make sense was during the GPU shortage where buying a whole PC was one of the only ways to snag one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

i looked at prebuilds a couple years ago when i upgraded but the prices were insane compared to just buying the stuff yourself

the only time i’ve seen prebuilds make sense was during the GPU shortage where buying a whole PC was one of the only ways to snag one

How much cheaper to do it yourself?Also, what is your own time worth?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Someone come to the office and finish this work I gotta do before end of day please. My family is dying

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

Why, because jimmyjams farted?

yes

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

Someone come to the office and finish this work I gotta do before end of day please. My family is dying

Maybe you should stop loving your pc and get back to work?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

redshirt posted:

How much cheaper to do it yourself?Also, what is your own time worth?

varies a lot, but hundreds of bucks more was the norm. only takes an hour or two to unbox and put everything together if you’re familiar with PC building. not everyone is comfortable doing it themselves, but it’s not that bad. most stuff only fits in one way and cables are like solving a toddler shape puzzle. the only thing that i could see getting messed up is connecting all the case wires for leds/power/beeps to the motherboard headers. that still seems to be the wild west of PCs with no simple standard.

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

Saalkin posted:

all that lives must die, for all that never dies, was never alive

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

that said, take a break. drink some coffee, smoke a blunt. you can do this

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

I bought a Switch for my niece and have played Mario Kart and some other Mario stuff, but not really my thing. I bought Zelda for her which seems way more interesting, but she gave up on it.

how old is your niece? my 5 year old has moved on from untitled goose game into the new zelda and we've been having a lot of fun together playing it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You can buy a pretty good premade computer direct from industry leader Sony at https://www.playstation.com

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

nope, just buy one in costco op :)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Maybe you should stop loving your pc and get back to work?

No

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Saalkin posted:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You can buy a pretty good premade computer direct from industry leader Sony at https://www.playstation.com

this is true, if you want to save money, a console will cost the same or less than just a decent GPU for a PC.

PCs unlock stuff like MMOs, modding, and point/click style games that don’t work well with controllers.

like yeah, my PC cost $1k more than my switch BUT i was able to play STARFIELD with SkyUI installed.

e: the non-joke example this year would be Baldur’s Gate 3. great game but the UI is pretty complicated and i wouldn’t want to be stuck on a gamepad with it.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 26, 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Remember when people were upset that STARFIELD wasn’t going to be available on PlayStation lol. Now it’s a selling point for Sony.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I talked myself into a battle frenzy so I could get in my car and go to work today

Now that I'm here I'm gonna tear some poo poo up

I am not off to a good start by posting on SA but I'm gonna own this loving friday

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
2k microsoft gaming employees got canned yesterday as well as some projects canceled, and there’s gotta be a direct line from starfield flopping so hard.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I just ate a donut and I want to gently caress poo poo UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

2k microsoft gaming employees got canned yesterday as well as some projects canceled, and there’s gotta be a direct line from starfield flopping so hard.

Starfield stays winning