Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, you miss all the fish you never launch fishing expeditions to find. I'm still not clear merchant was a bad lawyer to take the shot even if it proved to be a total airball.

From what I've seen, all her actual filings were of the "people are saying there's fish over there, can we go fishing?" variety. Worded to be as salacious as possible for the press, but still clear enough that they had nothing concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Yes, and it was very short and boring (scroll up)

The bits that made it to the jury were pretty boring but there was plenty of drama behind it, unless the below is all fabricated. Screenshots all thanks to kazil in the GBS thread:

(n.b. Roberta Kaplan is the prosecution)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I have a legal question. Are the judges formally briefed on the other trials? I'm pretty sure judges can follow how the other trials are going but are they expected to follow them?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm not going to lie, the plaintiff's attorney and judge having the same surname makes the transcripts a little difficult to follow, but it does enhance the levity.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ulf posted:

The bits that made it to the jury were pretty boring but there was plenty of drama behind it, unless the below is all fabricated. Screenshots all thanks to kazil in the GBS thread:

(n.b. Roberta Kaplan is the prosecution)

It's only boring BECAUSE both the judge and the prosecution knew exactly what Habba and Trump were trying to pull, and shot that poo poo down multiple times. I do love the "Can I still ask the second question?" "Which one, it keeps changing" bit.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

From what I've seen, all her actual filings were of the "people are saying there's fish over there, can we go fishing?" variety. Worded to be as salacious as possible for the press, but still clear enough that they had nothing concrete.

Well, if she was intending to muddy the waters and cast doubt on the process then she achieved her goal. The right wing chud-farmers are spinning this so hard we could power the nation for a month just by attaching some magnets to them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cimber posted:

Well, if she was intending to muddy the waters and cast doubt on the process then she achieved her goal. The right wing chud-farmers are spinning this so hard we could power the nation for a month just by attaching some magnets to them.

Which they would do regardless.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mutata posted:

Which they would do regardless.

Yeah this.

No one should give much of a poo poo what the chuds get worked up about or say at this point.

They straight up invent things to get worked up about if there is nothing to misrepresent or lie about anyways.

What does matter is what actions they're taking, if any, to try and pull off another J6. So far they seem to be largely responding poorly and fearfully to J6'ers not only getting locked up but getting increasingly harsher (but still not nearly harsh enough) sentences.

I think they're all waiting to see if Trump can pull off another win. If he does they'll absolutely back him 110% and go full fash. If he loses they'll bitch bitterly about it but largely do nothing.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I hope that guy's sister-in-law is feeling better now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Which means the jury got to hear him deny it after all, nice job everyone

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
We can only hope
https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1750893530728284211

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Personally I wish the last line of this was "bring in the bailiffs"

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1750893476139462712

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Personally I wish the last line of this was "bring in the bailiffs"

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1750893476139462712

Or at the very least "Bring in the dancing lobsters!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTsdvAdsFR4

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1750896349300543513?s=20

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Awww da widdle piss baby is sad. Boo loving hoo.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

mdemone posted:

Which means the jury got to hear him deny it after all, nice job everyone

Immediately after being coached by the judge that Trump is not allowed to deny the previous finding, the jury gets to hear a brief sample of Trump denying the previous finding. During a defamation hearing in which Trump’s character is an underlying issue.

Probably not a bad outcome for the prosecution. And I think the key was it was kept as brief as possible

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Let the record show that he got mad. Please put in the papers that he got mad.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Eric Cantonese posted:

I hope that guy's sister-in-law is feeling better now.

I told her to take a break from doing deep dives into the news. Just watch the basic evening news if you can’t stay away, but don’t go down online rabbit holes of gloom and doom. Stay off the internet.

She hasn’t brought anything up since. So far so good.

I’ve honestly thought about telling her to get an account here but I don’t think that would help her out much. Probably the opposite.

Nash fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 26, 2024

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
To be clear, there is no prosecution. It's a civil case--Roberta Kaplan is the plaintiff's lawyer.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What's with these DoJ letters in the GA case? Someone I was talking to last night was acting like this is the holy Grail super gotcha and the entire thing is over because of it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Nope it looks like all the divorce-related stuff in the GA case is a big nothingburger, which is why buying into RW framing of poo poo is stupid.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zotix posted:

What's with these DoJ letters in the GA case? Someone I was talking to last night was acting like this is the holy Grail super gotcha and the entire thing is over because of it.

The DOJ hasn't filed anything in the GA case.

Maybe he was talking about ex-Trump official Jeffrey Clark subpoenaing records of emails between the prosecutor and the White House/DOJ because he says he is only being targeted for political reasons and all the charges need to be dismissed?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

whydirt posted:

Nope it looks like all the divorce-related stuff in the GA case is a big nothingburger, which is why buying into RW framing of poo poo is stupid.

I don't that proves there was no affair going on (the divorce was IIRC due to the guy's wife cheating), but it seems that it was their best best of digging something up. So maybe it will all go way now.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Sir John Falstaff posted:

To be clear, there is no prosecution. It's a civil case--Roberta Kaplan is the plaintiff's lawyer.

Thanks for that, I did my best but I’m no… law-talking guy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Everyone in this thread is a lawyer, just most of us are pro se, and just like in court, when real lawyers encounter a pro se there is going to be a lot of hand holding, corrections, and threats.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What's a pro se and does it differ from per se?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pro se is representing yourself. Per se is a turn of phrase relating to something existing as described.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trump just posted, "...Carroll says, “Rape is sexy,” and numerous other things that totally exonerate me."

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Y'all ANAL.

i also ANAL.

ANAL!!!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
"They asked if I was a pro se lawyer. I said I could be a per se lawyer. They said welcome aboard."

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DOJ hasn't filed anything in the GA case.

Maybe he was talking about ex-Trump official Jeffrey Clark subpoenaing records of emails between the prosecutor and the White House/DOJ because he says he is only being targeted for political reasons and all the charges need to be dismissed?

Yeah that's what he was talking about. Basically saying that the DoJ had their hands in the GA case, it shows that it's politically motivated, etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zotix posted:

Yeah that's what he was talking about. Basically saying that the DoJ had their hands in the GA case, it shows that it's politically motivated, etc.

He just claimed that and asked for emails. It hasn't been proven or anything.

If the DOJ really is out to get him and giving marching orders to local Georgia government officials via official email accounts, then Clark should get away with everything because a conspiracy that bad doesn't deserve to succeed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Habba's closing argument is quite something. It's clear of course it's for Trumps/fanbase benefit and not the court of course.

e: Thanks to kazil again:

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hey, i might not be a lawyer but I'm still a better lawyer than Alina Habba

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Maybe she's angling to give Trump grounds to appeal by way of ineffective counsel? :shrug:

Also, those were the closing arguments? I thought you weren't supposed to object during closing. Or maybe it's just bad form?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Velocity Raptor posted:

Maybe she's angling to give Trump grounds to appeal by way of ineffective counsel? :shrug:

Also, those were the closing arguments? I thought you weren't supposed to object during closing. Or maybe it's just bad form?

You can object. Mostly it's not needed because usually lawyers know not to introduce evidence or testify during closing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1750925366154174947

Oh it was established by a mere jury? 12 randos said that and we're supposed to just go along with it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

elhondo posted:

Hey, i might not be a lawyer but I'm still a better lawyer than Alina Habba

She's not trying to make an actual case. She's making happy the guy who signs her paychecks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Velocity Raptor posted:

For those not in the know, you don't have a right to an attorney in civil cases, so this appeal doesn't apply. Now the comedy question is: does Alina Habba understand that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Ineffective counsel is criminal-only. If you’re being accused of a crime you need an adequate defense, but for civil stuff it’s your right to have a dipshit.