Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Directed by Patel? Intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

Directed by Patel? Intriguing.

Yeah and the great thing is he directs action in a way that you can follow it. First time directors aren't supposed to be able to do this, it's often just a muddled mess of shots that is hard to follow and also boring. When you actually can follow the action logically it's such a better experience for the viewer in my opinion. Like, James Cameron was great at this right out of the gate. Not saying Patel is the next James Cameron but it's the best example I can think of

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

Yeah and the great thing is he directs action in a way that you can follow it. First time directors aren't supposed to be able to do this, it's often just a muddled mess of shots that is hard to follow and also boring. When you actually can follow the action logically it's such a better experience for the viewer in my opinion. Like, James Cameron was great at this right out of the gate. Not saying Patel is the next James Cameron but it's the best example I can think of

I would go Jackie Chan. Directs himself in the action and lets the performances speak for themselves.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The beginning definitely gave me Tony Jaa vibes, and those films (like Chan's) always had very legible action scenes filmed at a distance with very few cuts because they trusted the fight choreography was good enough to stand up on its own merits.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
drat those are some nice shots, and no cutting away after every impact either. Consider me hyped.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Slotducks posted:

twitter video player completely freezing after 4 seconds - some things never change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zxiB5Qhsc

Interesting to see Patel in this sort of role, on both sides of the camera - the vibe feels more "The Raid" than "John Wick" but wouldn't have pegged him (or Peele) as action guys. The scene in the trailer where he fails to jump through the window was legitimately funny. Hope Sharlto Copley has more to do than just a bit part.

Looks good overall, but surely there must be another song besides that Punjabi MC remix that would've fit here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

Chad Stahelski

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

It's gotta be the same fight choreographer who does John Wick, right?

edit: Apparently not.

Also apparently Dev Patel lives in my hometown of Adelaide Australia? New hottest Australian just crowned.

he was so good in Green Knight, which I just watched. Great movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

I would go Jackie Chan. Directs himself in the action and lets the performances speak for themselves.

Oh wow great call

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

Interesting to see Patel in this sort of role, on both sides of the camera - the vibe feels more "The Raid" than "John Wick" but wouldn't have pegged him (or Peele) as action guys. The scene in the trailer where he fails to jump through the window was legitimately funny. Hope Sharlto Copley has more to do than just a bit part.

Looks good overall, but surely there must be another song besides that Punjabi MC remix that would've fit here.

I said the same thing. And so did Dev.

But nothing really comes close to the hype that song creates. I was like really Bend It Like Beckham? Again? But if it works...it works. All other cues we attempted just didn't hit that sweet spot.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The slapstick moments feel a little out of place with how the moments seem to linger just so we know to get the joke, but otherwise it looks sweet as hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That moment sold me because it let me know it’s having more fun with the concept than I thought

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It's one of those songs that's tells you exactly what to expect. I guess the recognizability is it's strength in a trailer?

I'm hyped, very funny to compare to the Road House trailer that felt unsure of itself and the action. Dev looks extremely natural in those fights, and glad to see there's a bit of humor too to break it up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yo what the gently caress, when did Dev Patel become an action director? This looks wild lol. I'm totally in.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I love all the costumes with the masks they look sick af

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Slotducks posted:

twitter video player completely freezing after 4 seconds - some things never change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zxiB5Qhsc

fyi this is the non redband version. Subtle changes but the redband is more fun, like always.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
These movies aren't my cup of tea, but I love Dev so I'll watch it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

kiimo posted:

fyi this is the non redband version. Subtle changes but the redband is more fun, like always.

Yeah, the detail I picked up on was the flames in the kitchen not showing up in the Youtube regular trailer. That moment adds a ton of spice

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kiimo posted:

But nothing really comes close to the hype that song creates. I was like really Bend It Like Beckham? Again? But if it works...it works. All other cues we attempted just didn't hit that sweet spot.

Yeah no shade at all - the trailer is great and the song does fit well. Like others have said the recognition and hype it will generate will go a long way. Just weird to think that it has been a mainstay on the soundtrack of any media that is prominently influenced by Indian culture for like ~20 years. I tried to think of some alternatives but the only one that came to mind would be MIA, which is again another very overplayed Desi artist in this sort of situation.

CelticPredator posted:

That moment sold me because it let me know it’s having more fun with the concept than I thought

Same, nice to see that Patel isn't taking himself too seriously. Having some humor in there goes a long way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/jonathanmb32/status/1750917862577811842?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Peele owns.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

first half of trailer was hype kiimo, as always i didnt watch the second half

Shageletic posted:

he was so good in Green Knight, which I just watched. Great movie.

:yeah:

:nice:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That's pretty cool of him. Gonna see it theaters to support Dev :allears:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

They feel like so far away from each other but Peele and Villenueve are like my "instant sees" no matter what they're involved with. (there's probably a few more of those in the mix, but those two rise to the top for me)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Wait it’s been done for years and Netflix sat on it? Even after RRR was a massive hit on the platform? what are they (not) thinking?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I was just thinking why isn't Dev Patel in more movies......

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nybble posted:

Wait it’s been done for years and Netflix sat on it? Even after RRR was a massive hit on the platform? what are they (not) thinking?

i dont think they are. its algorithmic, see. just, you cant account for breakouts or sleeper hits, cult movies, anything except the base 1:1

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

So I take it the Peele producer credit is more of a 'thank you' for hyping it, plus adding his name recognition to this, rather than a creative thing?

Not that I mind, this looks like it owns.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

My wife immediately came in from the other room singing this song and watched the second half of the trailer with me, so it works!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

davidspackage posted:

So I take it the Peele producer credit is more of a 'thank you' for hyping it, plus adding his name recognition to this, rather than a creative thing?

Not that I mind, this looks like it owns.

Nah Peele and his team completely re-edited the whole thing and also Peele brought it to Universal with Dev it's collaborative even if it was wrapped long before he was involved

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Nah Peele and his team completely re-edited the whole thing and also Peele brought it to Universal with Dev it's collaborative even if it was wrapped long before he was involved

Oh cool. Got my rear end in the seat anyway.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mat Cauthon posted:

yea i was also thinking ehhh isnt that a little overplayed? but i guess its super old now

but i would also have preferred another, maybe kid kishore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9RYtt5u6l4

e: omg i forgot he did a remix of panjabi mc

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 26, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
No way Dev Patel can't crush a movie he's worked with too many good directors for so long

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

yea i was also thinking ehhh isnt that a little overplayed? but i guess its super old now

but i would also have preferred another, maybe kid kishore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9RYtt5u6l4

sick I will add this to the peloton rotation any more of this kind of thing would also be appreciated because that poo poo hits

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

kiimo posted:

Oh poo poo, slam dunk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

kiimo posted:

sick I will add this to the peloton rotation any more of this kind of thing would also be appreciated because that poo poo hits

yea his stuff is wild. he also put some out as/with "albertslund terror korps" (ie [copenhagen suburb] terror corps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su7HF2rfnAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NtY7BDE_K0

just go hog wild. also dj hvad, faderhuset, and early sivas are in that area. later sivas is great too, but much different

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Jewmanji posted:

The beginning definitely gave me Tony Jaa vibes, and those films (like Chan's) always had very legible action scenes filmed at a distance with very few cuts because they trusted the fight choreography was good enough to stand up on its own merits.

I had the same thought, a bit more polished version of Jaa's first few movies.

But holy poo poo that trailer rocks and that's a day one watch for me

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Debr5KI1QIU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

B-Rock452 posted:

I had the same thought, a bit more polished version of Jaa's first few movies.

But holy poo poo that trailer rocks and that's a day one watch for me

Ong Bak with a John Wickish vibe, hundred percent

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nybble posted:

Yeah, the detail I picked up on was the flames in the kitchen not showing up in the Youtube regular trailer. That moment adds a ton of spice

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1750942804870631520

loving rules, reminds me of grater from Tenet, there are still so many kitchen kills not shot in films yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fatherboxx posted:

loving rules, reminds me of grater from Tenet, there are still so many kitchen kills not shot in films yet