Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

volts5000 posted:

I've had this theory and I know it sounds like "old man yelling at clouds", but I think it has a lot to do with user-learning algorithms in social media. We already see what Facebook did to old people, driving them down rabbit holes with people of the same age/hobbies/values/etc. Why should Gen Z be immune to the effects? There's no shortage of TikToks telling kids that everything's broken, nobody cares, there's nothing you can do, the powerful are untouchable, nothing's getting better, and it just keeps going and going. Maybe young women are down different rabbit holes than men (also, I assume they're talking about cis men and women. I didn't see anything trans Gen Z and if they're going against or with their respective trend).

Old people of both genders tended to be influenced about equally by social media and it was a (relatively) small impact on their overall political alignment. It was like a ~15% change towards more conservative views among the 65+ crowd, which is a huge amount of raw people, but not these 70% swings we are seeing in the under 30 crowd.

I'm also fairly sure that young women consume more social media than young men.

It could definitely be that they are looking at very different content (but, that means men are either seeking it out or being uniquely silo'd into it at huge levels), but it would have to be impacting nearly every young person in very similar ways for it to be entirely social media.

Why is the same source also turning young women much more liberal and young men much more conservative?

It also seems to be pervasive across language, geographic, and class barriers. Are 40% of the men in China and Germany watching the same Andrew Tate videos?

I think the internet/social media is probably a very large player, but it can't be just that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

volts5000 posted:

I've had this theory and I know it sounds like "old man yelling at clouds", but I think it has a lot to do with user-learning algorithms in social media. We already see what Facebook did to old people, driving them down rabbit holes with people of the same age/hobbies/values/etc. Why should Gen Z be immune to the effects? There's no shortage of TikToks telling kids that everything's broken, nobody cares, there's nothing you can do, the powerful are untouchable, nothing's getting better, and it just keeps going and going. Maybe young women are down different rabbit holes than men (also, I assume they're talking about cis men and women. I didn't see anything trans Gen Z and if they're going against or with their respective trend).

Most of the noise about Tiktok is that it's crazy Gen Z leftists going hogwild but a ton of viral Tiktok content is your good ole fashioned Tate/Rogan/Peterson aficionados

Edit: I imagine most posters in this thread have never heard of Sneako: https://www.mediamatters.org/tiktok/tiktoks-manosphere-problem-violent-misogyny-keeps-going-viral

koolkal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 26, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

koolkal posted:

Most of the noise about Tiktok is that it's crazy Gen Z leftists going hogwild but a ton of viral Tiktok content is your good ole fashioned Tate/Rogan/Peterson aficionados

Edit: I imagine most posters in this thread have never heard of Sneako: https://www.mediamatters.org/tiktok/tiktoks-manosphere-problem-violent-misogyny-keeps-going-viral

Almost if the internet makes you stupid

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
If "The Internet makes you stupid" isn't on Lowtax's headstone it oughta be. He was really on the cutting edge.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Could some of the healthcare facing posters ITT tell me if this is unusual for prescriptions issued out of the White House dispensary

No wonder the big boy loved Ronny Jackson so much
WaPo article

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 26, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why is the same source also turning young women much more liberal and young men much more conservative?

It also seems to be pervasive across language, geographic, and class barriers. Are 40% of the men in China and Germany watching the same Andrew Tate videos?

To clarify one thing, men in China aren't getting more misogynistic. They are a bit more egalitarian than their grandparents basically. But women have gotten far more egalitarian.

I haven't looked at other countries but this is likely true for most of them globally wherein the gap is largely through women getting far more liberal while men stay about the same. Besides Korea which, having read plenty of stories over the years, is a frankly insane place.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 26, 2024

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Could some of the healthcare facing posters ITT tell me if this is unusual for prescriptions issued out of the White House dispensary

WaPo article

I know the list isn't "specifically" Trump, but that's pretty close to what I'd expect from someone wired on amphetamines who can't sleep normally.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Misunderstood posted:

...what? Could you explain your logic here? How would that "ruin the game"?
Sure! In this case, dirty republicans can't threaten dirty dems with revealing that they being paid/bribed/lobbied/whatever you wanna call it, because they BOTH are, by the same industries. If they try to burn dems with said claims, I don't see why the dems wouldn't return fire.

Its the same reason a person might steal from a drug dealer, because the drug dealer cannot go to the cops. Repubs can't tear down dems for lovely money stuff, because they're just as guilty and don't want any light shined on it by vengeful dems.

Also you can look at very easy examples of both sides of the aisle using insider trading to make bank. We still don't have a law that stops lawmakers from doing that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

WaPo article

It depends what the "ketamine" actually is.

The prescription was written right after Spravato was FDA approved, so it could be that. The dosage is wrong, though. I would be wild if the White House was stocking ketamine infusions that people could just check out, but Spravato makes some sense. He could have been prescribing it off-label for pain - which is an area that was rife with abuse.

The opioids also depend on the person and specific conditions, but that is a suspiciously large amount of people with chronic pain working in the White House in 2019.

The rest is basically all sleeping medication.

Even if by some miracle those were all 100% legit, this is absolutely horrible pharmaceutical tracking practice that would get you fired at a CVS.

Note: I haven't been involved with healthcare regulations/legal policy for about 13 years, so my information on this may be out of date.

Edit: According to the report in the WaPo article, roughly 2/3 of the patients were ineligible for the treatment or medication they received. So, they were absolutely just handing out narcotics like candy in even a best case scenario. They were definitely not part of a clinic where they were administering Spravato or any other potentially reasonable scenario where they might have that many opioids or ketamine in stock.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 26, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Old people of both genders tended to be influenced about equally by social media and it was a (relatively) small impact on their overall political alignment. It was like a ~15% change towards more conservative views among the 65+ crowd, which is a huge amount of raw people, but not these 70% swings we are seeing in the under 30 crowd.

I'm also fairly sure that young women consume more social media than young men.

It could definitely be that they are looking at very different content (but, that means men are either seeking it out or being uniquely silo'd into it at huge levels), but it would have to be impacting nearly every young person in very similar ways for it to be entirely social media.

I think the internet/social media is probably a very large player, but it can't be just that.

Maybe Facebook's algorithm or engagement methods is less efficient than TikTok's. And I don't mean to single out TikTok. It's just the newest thing.

It might be that the silos Gen Z men and women are being funneled into are THAT unique and divergent. The most compelling thing to me is that it's on a global scale and happening within the same span of time.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

How much does the source bifurcate on this category , i.e. to what extent does targeted advertising and the algorithmic content stream present such divergent content to young men and women?

e:

volts5000 posted:

Maybe Facebook's algorithm or engagement methods is less efficient than TikTok's. And I don't mean to single out TikTok. It's just the newest thing.

It might be that the silos Gen Z men and women are being funneled into are THAT unique and divergent. The most compelling thing to me is that it's on a global scale and happening within the same span of time.
You beat me to it. Anecdotally I would say the same is happening among Turkish youth.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Chronic loneliness is increasing for everyone, and women are less psychologically bothered by it. That seems to be the takeaway.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

koolkal posted:

To clarify one thing, men in China aren't getting more misogynistic. They are a bit more egalitarian than their grandparents basically. But women have gotten far more egalitarian.

I haven't looked at other countries but this is likely true for most of them globally wherein the gap is largely through women getting far more liberal while men stay about the same. Besides Korea which, having read plenty of stories over the years, is a frankly insane place.

Yeah, it looks like Korea, Germany, and the U.S. are the countries seeing the sharpest difference in changes in young men's attitudes according to the FT data. Many of the other countries seem to have young men stagnating or making smaller changes while women have dramatic changes in the opposite direction.

mawarannahr posted:

How much does the source bifurcate on this category , i.e. to what extent does targeted advertising and the algorithmic content stream present such divergent content to young men and women?

volts5000 posted:

These are both good points, but the things like the 70+% difference figure for young women seems so large to me that it can't just be that nearly 3/4 of women in that age group and about half of all men are just extremely susceptible to social media shaping their views on everything.

I don't have any data to prove exactly how much it shifts the average young person's views, but it seems unlikely that it would be so thorough and so constant and each gender watching nearly the same content silo'd off almost perfectly from each other.

That is entirely a "vibes" argument from me, though. I don't have any way to measure or prove it. It just seems like surely it can't be that nearly 3/4 people under 30 are being shaped and perfectly silo'd into different information channels by TikTok, right? The divergence is so large and so well sorted by gender, that it has to be something broader than just social media. People of all ages use social media and the huge gender gaps don't exist within other demographics.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 26, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Yeah, it looks like Korea, Germany, and the U.S. are the countries seeing the sharpest difference in changes in young men's attitudes according to the FT data. Many of the other countries seem to have young men stagnating or making smaller changes while women have dramatic changes in the opposite direction.

These are both good points, but the things like the 70+% difference figure for young women seems so large to me that it can't just be that nearly 3/4 of women in that age group and about half of all men are just extremely susceptible to social media shaping their views on everything.

I don't have any data to prove exactly how much it shifts the average young person's views, but it seems unlikely that it would be so thorough and so constant and each gender watching nearly the same content silo'd off almost perfectly from each other.

That is entirely a "vibes" argument from me, though. It just seems like surely it can't be that nearly 3/4 people under 30 are being shaped and perfectly silo'd into different information channels by TikTok, right?

I think if people are searching for a narrative that explains their circumstances in a way that feels satisfying to them they will continue following that narrative and the people who are promoting it.

People want their lives to make sense. If you’re a low-paid white dude driving an Uber and feeling like you don’t have many options, who is selling a story to you that makes sense of your life? Does that story blame you and you alone for your personal failings or socioeconomic status? Does it offer a potential route away from the things it says are causing you to go in search of an explanation for your life?

What is a competing theory to offer up to these young men? What’s the thing that you can tell them that realigns them where you want them to be?

I just sell leftism, I can’t claim to or even want to come up with a narrative that somehow gets them to vote Dem. I just talk about economic systems and how economic status frontruns cultural explanations—you were born poor before you were born white, male or anything else. That will drive them to think about other people born poor, and allows for a new lens to examine their lives that feels healthier and more productive than one that pits them against people because of biology or culture.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zoux posted:

WaPo article

I'm amazed that this is still not going to blow back on Obama literally at all, because the investigation started in 2019 and it turns out the White House Medical Unit only keeps records for two years before shredding them.

volts5000 posted:

The thing about that stuff is that it mostly just reinforces things that were already there. In the US, the gap started to appear long before social media became a thing. And while the gap dramatically widens pretty much everywhere right around the early 2010s, that lines up with the general global upsurge of conservatism around that time period anyway.

In the US, the political gender gap dates back to the 80s. Or, to put it another way, it dates back to a major political realignment that completely changed the political landscape of the entire US. Moreover, one of the major factors in that realignment was a public backlash against the civil rights advances and proposals of the 60s and 70s. It's not hard to see how the impact of that might shift different demographics in different directions.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

volts5000 posted:

I've had this theory and I know it sounds like "old man yelling at clouds", but I think it has a lot to do with user-learning algorithms in social media.

Social media definitely has the ability to amplify hate and malcontent, but I think there's more to it. Given that a lot of what we're seeing is along the feminist/antifeminist axis, I'm led to believe that there's also some amount of concerted fuckery by the usual suspects.

Based on what I've seen in a lot of the international chatter on my decrepit Facebook feed, many political trolls have taken a cue from Cambridge Analytica et al, and the result is an endless stream of international copycat hate preachers reaping engagement.

You can tell it's artificial because regardless of where they are, their issues of concern align in lockstep because they're all drinking from the same well. To me it's the same pipeline that yielded Canadian convoy "truckers" who were parroting Republican talking points verbatim without even adjusting them to their Canadian environment.

Remember that active measures are a tool being employed against all countries, and it's already been established that the feminist angle is an effective wedge, so it's no surprise there's a lot of polarization around it.

snorch fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 26, 2024

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

WaPo article

Wild drug use in here. These are just controlled meds, but some of these are for injections based on the concentrations. Ketamine, versed (a benzo) and fentanyl can all be used for psych patients with aggression, children with broken legs, etc. Anything you need to knock a person down and out for a little bit. There's really not many acceptable medical uses besides "knocking someone the gently caress out" for the injectable formulations of these, especially given together. Even the morphine is the concentrated 10mg/ml formulation. It's typically 4mg/ml for most uses. Maybe Trump was doing his civic duty and getting colonoscopies at the White House. :v:

Provigil is used to keep people awake without geeking them out on amphetamines. Long distance pilots, shift workers, etc all use it. It's also used in dementia patients, patients with sleep/wake disorders (like circadian stuff) and people with sleep apnea.

Tramadol, Vicodin, etc. all self explanatory oral opiates for pain.

Sonata/Ambien for sleep.

This looks like a stock list, or a registry of received meds. It could be rotating stock for expirations, etc. when the stock isn't actually used, but disposed of because it's out of date. The injectables I mentioned are all standard drugs for EMS, so this could be a kit of some kind for emergency preparedness purposes.

The article says they did at least one elective surgery, whatever the hell that means. This is a wild story that normally would be a big blow up scandal if weren't doomed to hell world.

I am very very surprised there's no Adderall on there, maybe it's non formulary lol.

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm amazed that this is still not going to blow back on Obama literally at all, because the investigation started in 2019 and it turns out the White House Medical Unit only keeps records for two years before shredding them.

2 years is pretty standard record keeping for inventory lists. That's probably a law in the federal sphere.

Tldr: I don't think it's prescriptions issued, it's inventory received. It looks pretty standard for a clinic with a small emergency section. What sticks out of the provigil and sleeper meds. But that's probably pretty standard pharmaceutical use for political people.

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 26, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing about that stuff is that it mostly just reinforces things that were already there. In the US, the gap started to appear long before social media became a thing. And while the gap dramatically widens pretty much everywhere right around the early 2010s, that lines up with the general global upsurge of conservatism around that time period anyway.

In the US, the political gender gap dates back to the 80s. Or, to put it another way, it dates back to a major political realignment that completely changed the political landscape of the entire US. Moreover, one of the major factors in that realignment was a public backlash against the civil rights advances and proposals of the 60s and 70s. It's not hard to see how the impact of that might shift different demographics in different directions.

That would explain why conservatism has been hyperfocused on traditional masculinity in the last so many years, or am I putting the cart before the horse? I know there's always been an appeal to "traditional values" and "nuclear family" in conservatism, but it was never at the "Tucker Carlson promotes ball tanning for virility" level.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

zoux posted:

WaPo article
getting 10 more provigil than you ordered and you party harder than normal, then next month your prescription is 10 short... :sludgepal:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

WaPo article

There is a thing called the DC Cocktail which is people popping stims during the day (Adderall for example) and Ambien at night. There is a loving poo poo load of stims and ambien on this list.

Provigil - (modafanil) I only ever prescribed this for Narcolepsy. Absolutely should not be prescribed outside of sleep or neuro.
Fentany - there are a few different formulations. There's oral and IV on here, so someone is in a lot of pain or just likes being high.

There are some serious benzos on this list. There is IV versed, which is only used in that formulation for induction during procedures. It also causes retrograde amnesia so you'll get it if you're getting cardioverted. There is IV and oral ativan, xanax, valium.

Whole lot of ketamine in there and it's IV, not nasal.

Ambien and Sonata are both sleep meds; one gets you to sleep, one keeps you asleep.

So yeah, you got people in there on hospice level pain management, and people that are very clearly abusing stimulants and benzos. This should be enough for someone to lose their license.

So for example, on 5/17 they received 2000 Ambien (zolpidem) 5 mg tabs. that's like a 3-5 year supply depending on how much they're taking. There's another 2000 Ambien filled 2 months later. I do like the Provigil on 8/5 which was originally 2000 but changed to 1990. I'm sure there's a good reason for that.

Fun reminder Ambien is contraindicated in patients over 65 as it can precipitate psychotic symptoms, REM Sleep disturbances, decreased cognition etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just want to know if Trump spent most of his term in a K hole

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just want to know if Trump spent most of his term in a K hole

If it was good enough for Hitler, surely it's good enough for... Oh. Oh

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump likes his stimulants.

There was that one time he was rushed to the hospital by car and he walked out with his shirt recently unbuttoned holding what sure looked like an EKG strip envelope. I bet he got cardioverted for afib.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

That is entirely a "vibes" argument from me, though. I don't have any way to measure or prove it. It just seems like surely it can't be that nearly 3/4 people under 30 are being shaped and perfectly silo'd into different information channels by TikTok, right? The divergence is so large and so well sorted by gender, that it has to be something broader than just social media. People of all ages use social media and the huge gender gaps don't exist within other demographics.

I also don't think the gap is purely because of TikTok or social media in general, but TikTok absolutely silo's the poo poo out of their users. If it's something you use regularly I would highly suggest you ask a few friends who use it to let you scroll on their FYP. The differences in type of content served from person to person can be huge. Their algorithm is wildly effective in determining what you want to see and drilling down hyper specifically. The differences between gendered users is even bigger, for a while there was a trend where people were making videos about going on their significant other FYP and being amazed at the type of stuff they had no idea was on TikTok and very popular to boot. TikTok is such a night and day difference between it and other apps when it comes to it's algorithm it's very impressive.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FizFashizzle posted:

Fun reminder Ambien is contraindicated in patients over 65 as it can precipitate psychotic symptoms, REM Sleep disturbances, decreased cognition etc.

It is traditional medicine in DC
Interview by Abdul Rahman Al-Rashed of Asharq Al-Awsat

2001-2009.state.gov posted:

Secretary Colin L. Powell
Washington, DC
November 5, 2003
2003/1138
(4:40 p.m. EST)

SECRETARY POWELL: -- from Panama to Nicaragua, from Nicaragua to Honduras, and that's our air base in Honduras, Soto Cono.

So in a helicopter it's Tegucigalpa, then back out to the -- Tegucigalpa to Soto Cono, then Soto Cono to College Station last night, then I had to change all of my software and take out all of the Central American software and put in the Chinese software to give a speech this morning in Texas.

QUESTION: So do you use sleeping tablets to organize yourself?

SECRETARY POWELL: Yes. Well, I wouldn't call them that. They're a wonderful medication -- not medication. How would you call it? They're called ambien, which is very good. You don't use ambien? Everybody here uses ambien.

QUESTION: I use it when I go on trip and long distance travel.

SECRETARY POWELL: Yeah. I didn't need it this time because I was in the same time zone.

QUESTION: I see.

SECRETARY POWELL: It's when I go to your part of the world. I need to get my rest.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

They already got Ronnie Jackson doing the same thing under Obama as part of a different investigation 5 years ago. It wasn't opioids, but he got in trouble for providing what was basically a community bowl of zolpidem and adderall for staff to just grab when they needed to work late or sleep.

Somehow, he didn't get fired and just got disciplined. Then, went on to the same thing or worse under Trump.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Main Paineframe posted:

Another factor in the 70s and 80s was when capital started to petition the US government in earnest to roll back New Deal reforms originally put in place to prevent another Great Depression.

"It will be different this time, honest!" And so it has been. US capitalists have outsourced labor and wages outside of the country, giving noting to the previous white male labor force except instructions to "learn how to program". A major, powerful demographic from the start of the country was left to whither on the vine, severely disillusioned by the collapse of the "American Dream" for them.

Please understand that I'm not defending the white male or saying they should have been better placated. But as they and their (white male children) progressed, their entitlement never lessened and they have enjoyed the power of "majority". And of course instead of fighting capital, they've fought the same easy targets they've always fought: minorities.

Who have suffered greatly, but also made some advancements, especially women. To the point where we are today unlike their same-sex ancestors since the start of the country, they do not need men. Women may not be at the economic level that men have historically enjoyed in this country, but they seem to be trending upward and onward. Those who are succeeding are working against the odds.

And once again, the entitled white males, reacting to their easy targets they perceive to be below them, have been on a constant path to subjugate them all once again. And succeeded when Roe v. Wade was finally abolished.

That there are massive political differences between men and women these days should hardly be a surprise. America is firmly in the "find out" phase having spent the last 40 years "loving around".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cheesus posted:

Another factor in the 70s and 80s was when capital started to petition the US government in earnest to roll back New Deal reforms originally put in place to prevent another Great Depression.

"It will be different this time, honest!" And so it has been. US capitalists have outsourced labor and wages outside of the country, giving noting to the previous white male labor force except instructions to "learn how to program". A major, powerful demographic from the start of the country was left to whither on the vine, severely disillusioned by the collapse of the "American Dream" for them.

Please understand that I'm not defending the white male or saying they should have been better placated. But as they and their (white male children) progressed, their entitlement never lessened. And of course instead of fighting capital, they've fought the same easy targets they've always fought: minorities.

Who have suffered greatly, but also made some advancements, especially women. To the point where we are today unlike their same-sex ancestors since the start of the country, they do not need men. Women man not be at the economic level that men have historically enjoyed in this country, but they seem to be trending upward and onward. Those who are succeeding are working against the odds.

And once again, the entitled white males, reacting to their easy targets they perceive to be below them, have been on a constant path to subjugate them all once again. And succeeded when Roe v. Wade was finally abolished.

That there are massive political differences between men and women these days should hardly be a surprise. America is firmly in the "find out" phase having spent the last 40 years "loving around".

Most of this is true, but it is also happening in Germany, Korea, China, the U.K., and other places. It also all started happening roughly around the same time (2010 to 2024), so this couldn't be the specific reason.

It is happening across all racial and financial demographics too, so it isn't entirely a class or racial issue either. Age and gender are the only consistent things across all the countries and demographics.

Women under 30 among all demographics are getting much more liberal and non-traditionalist across the world at roughly the same time.

Men under 30 among all demographics are either staying roughly the same or getting much more conservative and traditionalist across the world at roughly the same time.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 26, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FizFashizzle posted:

Huh I think my mom takes this (she's 75). That might explain some stuff.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Huh I think my mom takes this (she's 75). That might explain some stuff.

Walking around the house naked at 3 in the morning clearing out the fridge?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cheesus posted:

Please understand that I'm not defending the white male or saying they should have been better placated. But as they and their (white male children) progressed, their entitlement never lessened and they have enjoyed the power of "majority". And of course instead of fighting capital, they've fought the same easy targets they've always fought: minorities.

Who have suffered greatly, but also made some advancements, especially women. To the point where we are today unlike their same-sex ancestors since the start of the country, they do not need men. Women may not be at the economic level that men have historically enjoyed in this country, but they seem to be trending upward and onward. Those who are succeeding are working against the odds.

Learn how to code was a program instituted in a few places, not the only thing offered to them and this issue is international unsure how it applies to this situation unless you are trying to score points on someone.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Walking around the house naked at 3 in the morning clearing out the fridge?
I don't take Ambien but I do this... is that a problem?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

volts5000 posted:

There's no shortage of TikToks telling kids that everything's broken, nobody cares, there's nothing you can do, the powerful are untouchable, nothing's getting better, and it just keeps going and going.

I don't think you can blame people for getting radicalized by the truth.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

volts5000 posted:

That would explain why conservatism has been hyperfocused on traditional masculinity in the last so many years, or am I putting the cart before the horse? I know there's always been an appeal to "traditional values" and "nuclear family" in conservatism, but it was never at the "Tucker Carlson promotes ball tanning for virility" level.

Eh, American culture has long been heavily focused on traditional masculinity; I don't really think that's changed a whole ton. If anything, it's declined a bit, and the MRA hypermasculine poo poo in the fringe right is a backlash against that decline.

What has changed, however, is our perspective on traditional femininity. The role of the devoted wife dedicating their life to staying at home and obediently serving their family's every need has largely lost its luster in modern American culture.

The tough-guy action hero who always gets the girl is still a very popular archetype. Meanwhile, the damsel in distress who exists only to be saved by a man and serve him loyally is getting a lot rarer, and even when she shows up, she's usually an accessory for the man rather than a role model made to be attractive for women to aspire to.

When it comes to people who are feeling out of place in the world for whatever reason, "what you really need in life is a man to serve" is just plain going to be a harder sell than "what you really need in life is some women to serve you".

Most of this is true, but it is also happening in Germany, Korea, China, the U.K., and other places. It also all started happening roughly around the same time (2010 to 2024), so this couldn't be the specific reason.

It is happening across all racial and financial demographics too, so it isn't entirely a class or racial issue either. Age and gender are the only consistent things across all the countries and demographics.

Women under 30 among all demographics are getting much more liberal and non-traditionalist across the world at roughly the same time.

Men under 30 among all demographics are either staying roughly the same or getting much more conservative and traditionalist across the world at roughly the same time.

In many cases, these gender gaps in political ID did exist before 2010. It's just that the gaps got a lot larger after 2010. But given that political polarization in general started skyrocketing around 2010 or so, I doubt that has anything to do with gender specifically.

So in that case, it's best to break it out into two separate questions: "Where did the gender gap come from in the first place?" and "Why did the gender gap suddenly start to get way wider around 2010?". It's worth asking it that way because I think there's a good chance that those two questions have different answers.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

zoux posted:

The orders being written for 100's or 1000+ of things like provigil are nuts both today and in 2019.

You'd hear about prescriptions like that 10-15yr ago or so issued by shady doctors who were de facto drug dealers but these days anything habit forming is going to be restricted much more than that and has to be continuously justified somehow medically speaking.

Typically anyways. I have no clue how those orders were getting filled by pharmacies even if they came from a WH doc. Most pharmacists wouldn't fill them no matter the order as far as I know.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The orders being written for 100's or 1000+ of things like provigil are nuts both today and in 2019.

You'd hear about prescriptions like that 10-15yr ago or so issued by shady doctors who were de facto drug dealers but these days anything habit forming is going to be restricted much more than that and has to be continuously justified somehow medically speaking.

It's an inventory sheet, from what I can tell. These are the quantities received by the "pharmacy" from the distributor. Not prescriptions given out to "patients."

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

In many cases, these gender gaps in political ID did exist before 2010. It's just that the gaps got a lot larger after 2010. But given that political polarization in general started skyrocketing around 2010 or so, I doubt that has anything to do with gender specifically.
Yeah, if you look at it in that context it can kind of turn the question on its head. After all, >40% of women vote for Republicans and >40% of men vote for Democrats. And even in Gen Z it still looks like you have no less than 30% on one side or the other.

So the question might be more, as this political polarization has arisen, what about it has tended to pull men to one side and women to another?

It's a similar question but I think there are subtle differences when you come at it from that angle. It's not like whatever the right is doing is totally unappealing to women; it's just a matter of degree that's being laid on top of something more fundamental. Femininity is not, I think, the value itself, but a value that correlates with greater receptiveness, a common expression of whatever that value is. (Pluralism, I guess?)

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ummel posted:

It's an inventory sheet, from what I can tell. These are the quantities received by the "pharmacy" from the distributor. Not prescriptions given out to "patients."
Yeah but if they get a giant quantity of something, and then a month later get another giant quantity of it, you can kind of draw an inference from that that somebody or somebodies is using the drugs, a lot.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ummel posted:

Oh my bad. Thought it was a table of scrips they wrote and doled out for some reason.

That is still a whole lot of normally controlled pills though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It could also be for stock for multiple locations. Maybe it's for the WH, AF1, and Camp David? Plus the government is always going to get way more than we think as normal because "what if nuclear war and we are shut in the white House bunker for 12 months in crisis mode"

Like it absolutely could be for nefarious reasons but I can also see some justifications for those quantities depending on the situation and an insane over planning for everything surrounding the presidency and what if circumstances that tends to happen.