Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wish the game had an optional notification for camp events like when someone wants to talk to you before you sleep. There’s a flavorful one if you rest immediately in the beach as a dark urge that made me wonder how many I’d missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
There is a mod for that if you're on PC

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will say the mod has had questionable results for me. There have been times where it's told me to rest and nothing happened and times where it didn't tell me to rest and something happened.

Did y'all hold on to a bunch of stuff that's useful in pen and paper campaigns that has no use in this game on your first playthrough? Every character had rope in my game. I also held on to a bunch of gems and ingots cuz I figured they'd be useful for something besides just being money.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I do find it hard to identify what is vendor trash and what is important, yeah.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Eifert Posting posted:

I will say the mod has had questionable results for me. There have been times where it's told me to rest and nothing happened and times where it didn't tell me to rest and something happened.

Mod works for me. It tells me the # of queued events in the console and I’ve got a big “!” above my head after talking to some Githyanki.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Yeah, the mod usually works although for some reason in honour mode I only get the exclamation mark when I’m at camp, when I teleport out even the console says I have zero events left.

Honestly, as long as you rest after every major event, you’ll be fine. Just long rest repeatedly until you run out of events (using partial rest to avoid wasting resources)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Eifert Posting posted:

Did y'all hold on to a bunch of stuff that's useful in pen and paper campaigns that has no use in this game on your first playthrough? Every character had rope in my game. I also held on to a bunch of gems and ingots cuz I figured they'd be useful for something besides just being money.

My first playthrough I didn't know what to expect so I had a bunch of rope, hammers and tongs (thought I might need them for crafting), a pickaxe to go with my shovel, etc.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I am so upset that rope has absolutely no purpose, it goes against all of my previous D&D experience (always pack plenty of rope)

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The very first thing I used Google to look up in this game wasn’t build guides, hints, puzzle info, or combat help.

I googled “BG3 what is rope used for” and the answer was “nothing!” So I dropped my helpful rope and stopped picking up garbage.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's particularly counterintuitive because there are so many other things that actually are useful. I was in act 3 on my first playthrough before I understood you could stack crates to climb things, or that you can throw a jug of water to create a puddle.

I actually still keep a rope on my tav even though I know it's useless just because it feels wrong playing D&D without rope.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The extent of crafting should be like that one Ice Staff, a magic item you find in 3 pieces and screw together or the adamantine stuff. I do not want to be expected to hoard boards to make barrels or some poo poo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll say it again. Neverwinter 2 did a great job with crafting. The stuff that you used for crafting and enchanting are basically drops that already exist in BG3. Special minerals, critter parts, gems and essences that are basically the same as what you use for potions in BG3.

You also didn't get nearly enough stuff to go buck wild with it, making custom items was expensive enough and resource-intensive enough that you couldn't just kit yourself out and generally the stuff you find was better than the stuff you could craft anyways. Rather than invalidating the equipment that was already in the game it just made you excited for another variety of loot or purchasable item at a shop. I don't think I ever made a character that was more than like 20% crafted gear.

It was a great system and BG3 would be better for it IMO but it is certainly no deal breaker. BG3 could also use a money sink like the keep in NWN2, It's hard to imagine a playthrough where you don't end up sitting on like 12,000 gold after you already have everything you want.

Assuming these things were a deliberate style choice, and not cut content, I do understand it. You're on much more of a time crunch in BG3, to the point where it feels weird even resting as much as the game wants you to.

Edit: maybe post game reactivity to how much gold you give to the Charity being run in act 3? If you donate nothing the post game mentions difficulties recovering, if you donate a ton you get a rosier outlook.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 26, 2024

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eifert Posting posted:

It's particularly counterintuitive because there are so many other things that actually are useful. I was in act 3 on my first playthrough before I understood you could stack crates to climb things, or that you can throw a jug of water to create a puddle.

I actually still keep a rope on my tav even though I know it's useless just because it feels wrong playing D&D without rope.

It’s funny that the containers you find items in are often more useful than the items.

My camp inventory is always full of oil / fire wine / smoke powder barrels but I haven’t yet started crate-hoarding to do stuff like this

https://youtube.com/shorts/jQxtWW5bGNM?si=ArSfTwLcFpAMmBkJ

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 26, 2024

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Who the hell is Patches?!

Re: crafting. I'm not sad it's not in the game, but what I'd really like is a transmog system. I want my sword bard to be a smarmy swashbuckler, but there just aren't any cool looking hats with effects I want with the look I want. Also, Graceful Cloth looks absolutely ridiculous on Githyanki.

I also wish there were more models for the various weapons. And that they didn't call sabers rapiers.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

This is me in Act 3 with the Camp Event mod active. I've got the Honour Mode mod installed and this little exclamation mark shows up when I leave the area I load after I first open the game. If you have the console enabled for script extender it will also print out the number of events you have queued.

Act 3 Astarion - As we near the conclusion of the game this Paladin has gotten increasingly aggressive about trying to kill my character when they think I'm not looking. WASD lets me multitask while trying to path through the game though.
https://i.imgur.com/nIqE6v8.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZ80wQyV4w

10 Beers posted:

Who the hell is Patches?!

Re: crafting. I'm not sad it's not in the game, but what I'd really like is a transmog system. I want my sword bard to be a smarmy swashbuckler, but there just aren't any cool looking hats with effects I want with the look I want. Also, Graceful Cloth looks absolutely ridiculous on Githyanki.

I also wish there were more models for the various weapons. And that they didn't call sabers rapiers.

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/2922

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Black Noise posted:

This is me in Act 3 with the Camp Event mod active. I've got the Honour Mode mod installed and this little exclamation mark shows up when I leave the area I load after I first open the game. If you have the console enabled for script extender it will also print out the number of events you have queued.

Act 3 Astarion - As we near the conclusion of the game this Paladin has gotten increasingly aggressive about trying to kill my character when they think I'm not looking. WASD lets me multitask while trying to path through the game though.

I'm on XBox :) It's not a huge deal, would just be a nice little thing to have. I wish there was a mod section like for Skyrim, but that wouldn't disable achievements.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Black Noise posted:

Honestly I installed that last night and I'm not sure what I want to use it for.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Use it for the Graceful Cloth because maybe you aren't trying to show that much midriff. Unless you mean WASD which is just cool for walking through the city with Native Camera Tweaks.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I'm trying to get my Lae'zel companion turned into an oathbreaker but it doesn't seem to be working. She's currently a Paladin of Devotion. I'm in the tavern in Act 2 and I've had her kill both the harpers patrolling the basement - I had her initiate the combat and kill them without anyone else being involved. However the oathbreaker Knight still isn't showing up.

Is it because they're guards or something? Is there anything else I can try to trigger the oath breaking?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Kill the dog

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I'm not gonna kill my dog! :o

I've been testing a bit more and it seems that killing Bex is the only way to break the oath at the inn. Even switching to oath of the ancients and killing the oxen in the stables doesn't seem to do it. I don't wanna kill the tieflings though, I like them.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Go far enough into the gauntlet to meet balthazar and agree to help him in his office area he’s set up then kill him breaks paladin oaths

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I was planning to get Minthara for this honour mode run I'm doing. I've got an evil Priestess of Lolth as my pc.

So anyways, I get to the goblin camp and I start the fight with Minthara and I have Lae'zel open the fight with a two hander hit with great weapon master enabled. It hits Minthara for like 28 or something. All the while I'm planning to enable non lethal attacks on my next turn. Well before that can even happen Minthara goes and she decides to try moving away from Lae'zel. Lae'zel crits her with an attack of opportunity and kills her.

I probably should have put attacks of opportunity as prompts under my reactions instead of automatic lol. RIP Minthara. I'll get you next run.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Not much you can do to save somebody in light armor who thinks just walking away from a fighter with a greatsword is a good plan.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Further Reading posted:

I'm trying to get my Lae'zel companion turned into an oathbreaker but it doesn't seem to be working. She's currently a Paladin of Devotion. I'm in the tavern in Act 2 and I've had her kill both the harpers patrolling the basement - I had her initiate the combat and kill them without anyone else being involved. However the oathbreaker Knight still isn't showing up.

Is it because they're guards or something? Is there anything else I can try to trigger the oath breaking?

My Act II oathbreaker method for a Paladin of Devotion was to go to the House of Healing and kill the patient on the table.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

My Act II oathbreaker method for a Paladin of Devotion was to go to the House of Healing and kill the patient on the table.

This works for Ancients also.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I found a nice solution to my oathbreaker problem. Travel back to the grove and kill the druid who opens the gate.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I saved the patient and they just ran into the darkness. Like that petrified dwarf. Give me rare family heirlooms dammit :argh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I was planning to get Minthara for this honour mode run I'm doing. I've got an evil Priestess of Lolth as my pc.

So anyways, I get to the goblin camp and I start the fight with Minthara and I have Lae'zel open the fight with a two hander hit with great weapon master enabled. It hits Minthara for like 28 or something. All the while I'm planning to enable non lethal attacks on my next turn. Well before that can even happen Minthara goes and she decides to try moving away from Lae'zel. Lae'zel crits her with an attack of opportunity and kills her.

I probably should have put attacks of opportunity as prompts under my reactions instead of automatic lol. RIP Minthara. I'll get you next run.

Next time you can just turn Non Lethal Attacks right from the start, there's no penalty for doing so. Hell you can leave it on all game, when enemies get KO'd they're flagged as dead anyway unless they're just temporarily hostile.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My Oath of Ancients paladin only broke her oath when I decided to release Cazador's spawn so they could try to live their lives like Asterion in Act III, which felt like a bullshit choice to me. But then I decided to just go with it and finished the game as an Oathbreaker because gently caress you dad, you don't get to tell me what to do.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
speaking of Oathbreaker, I found a pretty silly combo that gets like +45 weapon damage

27 Strength (elixir) with the legendary greatsword = +16 damage
24 Charisma with Aura of Hatred from Oathbreaker and Diadem of Arcane Synergy = +14 damage

then other items and Great Weapon Master All In and such gets you a bunch more potentially

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Ashcans posted:

My Oath of Ancients paladin only broke her oath when I decided to release Cazador's spawn so they could try to live their lives like Asterion in Act III, which felt like a bullshit choice to me. But then I decided to just go with it and finished the game as an Oathbreaker because gently caress you dad, you don't get to tell me what to do.

How is doing that not explicitly against the oath of ancients lol

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ashcans posted:

You released a bunch of insane, mostly feral vampire spawn out into the wild to wreak havoc. Of course that's going to break your oath.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

:drac: Ascension :hmmyes:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Does helping Astarion ascend count as breaking oath of the Ancients? Because lol if not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Suffering Astarion to live altogether feels like it should break Oath of Ancients, but I suppose that would confuse people even more.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Astarion can be an oath of Ancients paladin, so somebody up there isn't paying all that much attention to his situation.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Runa posted:

Next time you can just turn Non Lethal Attacks right from the start, there's no penalty for doing so. Hell you can leave it on all game, when enemies get KO'd they're flagged as dead anyway unless they're just temporarily hostile.

Yeah I probably should have just done that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

non-lethal turns off "on kill" triggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Suffering Astarion to live altogether feels like it should break Oath of Ancients, but I suppose that would confuse people even more.

The tadpole did it.
Though let's be honest both him and SH should pretty much trigger a fall for certain paladins especially paladins of like lathander or selune.
Edit: speaking of paladins of X who has the funnest dialog options other than selune/evil gods?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 26, 2024