Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Extra Untranslatable Fingerpori

Jarla has moved to the next level. No longer content with compound words, he is now using words that aren't even connected to make his puns.

In Finnish, "no thank you" is "kiitos ei" ("kiitos" being "thank you" and "ei" being "no"). As you can see, they are not one word that could have a funny alternate meaning! But if you say them close together, they sound like "kiitosei", which CAN be a compound word of "kiito" (speedy, speeding, zooming etc) + "sei" (our word for pollock).

And so we end up with a piece of pollock on a skateboard.

E:

and Atlantic Pollock is a type of fish.

Your translation explanation is perfect.

A similar example that Americans might understand is “danke schoen” sound like “donkey poo poo” to us.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Since Pluggers exclusively wear flannel shirts, jeans, and trucker hats, it seems like it would be harder to make their clothes not match?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pancho Jueves posted:

Pluggers

Since Pluggers exclusively wear flannel shirts, jeans, and trucker hats, it seems like it would be harder to make their clothes not match?

if you wear the Big Dogs 9/11 tee with the Cummins hat, you'll be laughed right out of the tailgate party

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah so it just happened to work out identically to the point where not only is the history identical to the year, and all the historical characters identical, but they also have exactly the same popular culture staples, bands, movies, books and superheroes as we do! Except they're all animals!

Amazing world building, holbrook.

Well now they also never pollute somehow despite having like F-14s and regular trucks and trains and stuff, let's not forget that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It hasn't been called the Emergency Broadcast System since 1997, but the jokes roll on.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CVM

e: DIX

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Crab Dad posted:

A similar example that Americans might understand is “danke schoen” sound like “donkey poo poo” to us.

???

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UaRNl0LV5o

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Can’t really go knocking off nobility, even disgraced nobility. It sets a bad example for the monarchy you’re trying to establish.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Green Intern posted:

Can’t really go knocking off nobility, even disgraced nobility. It sets a bad example for the monarchy you’re trying to establish.

That's going to far. You can totally knock off nobility, you just need to do so with more tact than this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If you don’t have a big German population in your area you may not have heard it used?

“Gracias”= Grassy rear end
Yes it’s in another language but people understand you just fine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think the conceit that "danke schoen" sounds like "donkey poo poo" is a stretch at best.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Donkey chains, donkey chains~

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I bet this judge guy killed Ming II.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Murdstone posted:

I bet this judge guy killed Ming II.

My bet is the judge is somehow Ming in disguise; being a villain, he wouldn't mind sacrificing his useless drunken son to undermine Aura and Barin and get rid of Flash.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I call the witch as the killer. Remember me.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Yep, that is definitely the dead-eyed stare of a man who heard his wife admitting she loves another dude during their loving wedding.

Excellent job by the artist, there

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Making a prediction now - Azura the Witch-Queen is originally a villain in Flash Gordon, and Schkade seems to be sticking to a lot of traditional characterizations with a modern spin and original story (Dale is more emotionally intelligent than Flash but still a practical, capable woman who can generally take care of herself and balances out his impulsiveness, Ming has a useless poo poo-stirring son named Ming II, etc). I'm no expert in Flash Gordon stuff, I've mostly skimmed the vintage strip that has shown up in here. Now, the story starting after the alliance has re-taken Mongo means stuff like Aura having to be convinced to help got skipped over, so similarly it's possible Azura genuinely is just a neutral or allied party, but there's been a lot of focus on her in the art and witchcraft sure seems like the kind of thing you could do to either stab someone with an invisible lackey or charm Flash into stabbing Ming II without remembering doing it or intending to do it, especially if Flash is already a hot-head pissed off at Junior even if I doubt he's the kind of guy to just stab people for being unarmed assholes.

The main question I have is if she convinced Junior she'd ally with him just to lure him in to die and throw everything into chaos, or if she just took advantage of an unfolding situation to see what would happen. Didn't he mention something about paying a debt before he died?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

thisusedyet posted:

Yep, that is definitely the dead-eyed stare of a man who heard his wife admitting she loves another dude during their loving wedding.

Excellent job by the artist, there
A polycule could fix this (Barin would still get left out of the polycule).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I would argue that being noticeably unhappy isn't the same as being "whiny," but I agree with the substance of the advice. Leave Gunther

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(July 29, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 28, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 27, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(September 16, 1919)

Zow zow zow

Us Boys(November 25, 1911)

The Gumps(February 23, 1917)

Krazy Kat(November 21, 1913)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

After adjusting I kinda like Gil Thorp's use of vignettes to keep the pace moving, but it also means I feel like every other strip needs a "who are these people and what's their beef" reminder subline.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Really not a gently caress YOU big enough for this storytelling!

"Please stop complaining and get over it after abandoning the biggest creative energy building hobby and career of your life for the sake of an unsupportive manchild." Just get over it, the best advice for processing grief and regret.

This is almost comically close to a misogynist outlook on streamers. If only Bets would abandon this newfangled attention whoring fad and be a more reserved woman doing something real with her life?

Again if Bets actually had a lot of followers, let alone a million, she could be building a ferocious nest egg while simultaneously getting her degree. What was Bets crime again? She loves to travel, missed some classes(it's college, attendance is a myth, you can catch up and turn in all work + nail the exams), needed to learn some moderation and compromise on privacy boundaries? The cold turkey quit was a terrible idea.

Speaking from experience it's always fun when somebody you like online vanishes with no contact, as a fan or knowing them personally. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This whole arc has the same energy as :cloud: complaining that kids spend too much time on their phones instead of talking to their friends (ignoring that their phones are how they talk to their friends).

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PetraCore posted:

A polycule could fix this (Barin would still get left out of the polycule).

Vultan gives his biggest Brian Blessed laugh while wrapping one arm around Flash and the other around Aura, pulling them close.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I AM GRANDO posted:

Vultan gives his biggest Brian Blessed laugh while wrapping one arm around Flash and the other around Aura, pulling them close.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Excellent av/post relation

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Hey! The first panel is a great chance to play "Whose Arm Is That?"

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I used to at least like looking at the Phantom for the art, even if the story was getting dragged down to Mozz-town. This is just loving atrocious.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

I used to at least like looking at the Phantom for the art, even if the story was getting dragged down to Mozz-town. This is just loving atrocious.

are we sure this isn't AI? It is legit weird as gently caress.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

"I've decided: gently caress them doctors!"

also, my prediction: Given his poo poo-stirring nature, Ming II isn't actually dead.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Green Intern posted:

Just pretend that they all just emerged from a '99 Accord after a strenuous hot-box session.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

also, my prediction: Given his poo poo-stirring nature, Ming II isn't actually dead.
Yeah from our perspective that investigation is missing a lot of things, like "establishing the cause of death"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

are we sure this isn't AI? It is legit weird as gently caress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bret_Blevins

Bret Belvins is a real guy with a lot of comic book credits. I think he might just be getting on in years or bad at producing at a daily comic strip rate.