Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

im powergaming the system by using a lagswitch and an autoclicker to thank my driver 10,000 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

im powergaming the system by using a lagswitch and an autoclicker to thank my driver 10,000 times

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

you can still alexa thank my driver and now your driver gets a digital sticker to remind them of that one time when they made an extra $50 in one day from thanks.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ugh jesus yeah dunno what the thought was there other than seizing a chance to put some muni stuff in a neoliberal blood choke

At least my local county parks remained open (think they canceled their programs n' stuff but parks/trails never closed)

Don't think Wisconsin ever closed their parks either is where the good poo poo is around me since I'm so far north

They went around & took off the basketball hoops on the many courts. They put crime-scene tape around playground equipment. They had people guarding the beach cordons so you couldn't go for a quiet dip. They barred family members from visiting elders in substandard care homes, when family members are the only line of defense against elder abuse & neglect.

Just plain idiocy & cruelty from top to bottom.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

there were times it was like watching a What Would You Do? episode bc people were so casually swallowing these stupid rules & procedures that it was like an experiment in meaningless authoritarianism.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i am harry posted:

you can still alexa thank my driver and now your driver gets a digital sticker to remind them of that one time when they made an extra $50 in one day from thanks.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Willa Rogers posted:

there were times it was like watching a What Would You Do? episode bc people were so casually swallowing these stupid rules & procedures that it was like an experiment in meaningless authoritarianism.

If there's one thing I remember from the start of the pandemic it was people following government instruction in lock step

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
not me, I was flipping off the locked gates and being really mad so the government knew I mean business

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's fine because Cataclysm was the best of the series anyway (and the loss of its source code was a real tragedy)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Once again Kojima was right

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

The fight for 15 years to life

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Truga posted:

that's not really true: even if it's an unencrypted wifi, snapchat and whatever all work over https. you can't snoop that poo poo as a third party, which means snapchat specifically intercepted the private group messages and forwarded them to the authorities

this is illegal in most countries, and *insanely* illegal in the EU, but instead of whatever corp runs the app getting fined for 10 billion over it, the kid's in trouble instead

the real lesson here is that you should never trust a channel you don't control yourself even with laws supposedly protecting you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Truga posted:

that's not really true: even if it's an unencrypted wifi, snapchat and whatever all work over https. you can't snoop that poo poo as a third party, which means snapchat specifically intercepted the private group messages and forwarded them to the authorities

this is illegal in most countries, and *insanely* illegal in the EU, but instead of whatever corp runs the app getting fined for 10 billion over it, the kid's in trouble instead

the real lesson here is that you should never trust a channel you don't control yourself even with laws supposedly protecting you

Reporting posts is illegal. Do you hear that mods??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dont mind me. just engaging in conspiracy on proprietary software. its "encrypted" lmao. just transmitting my "encrypted" data to servers i do not control over software i cannot audit. GENIUS. reminds of the arab "cia" spring. GOLDMINE

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 years!)

engaging encryption drives1010101111011011210010100111011010101010100101010100101010101010010100101010000001010000010001011011111110101010001010101001010101001011010101010100101010100101000000000101111111101010000101010100+1010010101001010101000101010010119010010101010

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
this app encrypts every message it sends. i got it from the google store.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

net work error posted:

Once again Kojima was right

im loving baffled. alexa thanks were literally a major component of gameplay in ds.

the game came out in 2019. before covid.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm guessing it's not insanely illegal for companies to do content moderation on their platforms

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme posted:

im loving baffled. alexa thanks were literally a major component of gameplay in ds.

kojima is an extremely horny cassandra

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Death Stranding is basically COVID the game for many reasons and first playing it in like 2022 was incredibly weird

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

the milk machine posted:

i'm guessing it's not insanely illegal for companies to do content moderation on their platforms

it is illegal to sniff in what is supposed to be private convos, op.

public chatter isn't same as private, you *must* have a warrant to do that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Death Stranding is basically COVID the game for many reasons and first playing it in like 2022 was incredibly weird

it was cool to cremate totally not Elizabeth Warren at the same time she was getting cremated in the polls

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Truga posted:

it is illegal to sniff in what is supposed to be private convos, op.

public chatter isn't same as private, you *must* have a warrant to do that

what law is that? a lot of employers are gonna get locked up for monitoring email and messaging traffic, maybe all employers. google is gonna get arrested for sending you ads based on your emails

why would a private company need a warrant to inspect traffic that's on their own servers?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
me using The Snooping Machine: it's illegal for them to use this to snoop on me

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
like if you report someone sending you bad DMs on instagram/facebook/X the everything app, they have to get a warrant before they can take any action? that does not sound right to me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

the milk machine posted:

what law is that? a lot of employers are gonna get locked up for monitoring email and messaging traffic, maybe all employers

why would a private company need a warrant to inspect traffic that's on their own servers?
as an employee you probably signed something or another of dubious legality that might not or might not hold up in court

but for public services like twitter and snapchat reading private messages is very illegal under the privacy and electronic communications directive and GDPR in europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPrivacy_Directive?useskin=vector

most countries will have similar laws in place

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

me using The Snooping Machine: it's illegal for them to use this to snoop on me

yeah that's the fun part, it's really is illegal, but instead of people being angry at the corp who did illegal thing they're throwing a kid under the bus for doing an unfunny joke saying they should've known better

the milk machine posted:

like if you report someone sending you bad DMs on instagram/facebook/X the everything app, they have to get a warrant before they can take any action? that does not sound right to me

no, because you sent it to them

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i think you'll find customer personal data doesn't include message content, and when you join one of those sites you agree to language that says they can and do look at things so they can do content moderation (snapchat's TOS and data processing agreement say both those things). all of that is ok w/ gdpr as long as users are informed about it

unless the eu is queuing up a blockbuster case against every social media company that does algorithmic moderation (all of them) and we haven't heard about it

the milk machine has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Jan 26, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you cannot strip people of basic rights (which privacy is) with an EULA/TOS, there's been court rulings about this already, and honestly, the EU should do what you're saying, the fact that they're not is also hosed up

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

the milk machine posted:

i think you'll find customer personal data doesn't include message content, and when you join one of those sites you agree to language that says they can and do look at things so they can do content moderation

also if a conversation can be observed and moderated by a third party without one of the participants forwarding a message outside, then it wasn't really a "private" context to begin with?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its not illegal for 3rd parties to intercept data if its being used on their network (this would make using emails at a job impossible) and content is a massive gray zone that is not technically considered PII, but everything account related is. if content is considered PII then its impossible to store data for legal purposes. if someone makes some kind of threat or crime you need to hold that poo poo for legal agencies but remove it from public view.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Truga posted:

you cannot strip people of basic rights (which privacy is) with an EULA/TOS, there's been court rulings about this already, and honestly, the EU should do what you're saying, the fact that they're not is also hosed up

privacy is good, but GDPR just doesn't say what you think it does

anime was right posted:

its not illegal for 3rd parties to intercept data if its being used on their network (this would make using emails at a job impossible) and content is a massive gray zone that is not technically considered PII, but everything account related is. if content is considered PII then its impossible to store data for legal purposes. if someone makes some kind of threat or crime you need to hold that poo poo for legal agencies but remove it from public view.

yep

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the secret to Stanley's success? Lead.

quote:

Stanley responds to concern its cups contain lead:

“Lead is used in the manufacturing process, but the product needs to become damaged in order to expose the lead”

“Our engineering and supply chain teams are making progress on innovative, alternative materials for use in the sealing process,”

Do Stanley cups contain lead or pose a risk of lead poisoning? Experts weigh in

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

it's fine as long as nothing acidic goes in and you add this really cheap additive

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Justin Tyme posted:

I happened to be playing it in Feb/Mar 2020. Peak gaming experience. I even platted it and I've never done that with basically any video game ever.

I ended up working at a hospital again since my previous one folded in Jan due to rich people lying. I put Bridges and Fragile Express stickers on my car :v:

HDPE Nalgene stays winning.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

it's fine as long as nothing acidic goes in and you add this really cheap additive

applying apple-fandom rules to cup purchases

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A third plaintiff, Arthur Charles Promey Jr., even claims he was denied parole in 2022, when the Department of Corrections allegedly told his family it was because “he was fired from KFC in 2019” — despite the KFC manager writing “a letter to the Parole Board specifically recommending him to parole in light of his strong work performance.”

Some of the more trustworthy prisoners perform unpaid tasks that keep the prison running so prison administrators could dedicate their limited staff to other functions, Almireo English claimed.

“Why would the slave master, by his own free will, release men on parole who aid and assist them in making their paid jobs easier and carefree?” English asked.

straight up Shawshank

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
The sharps container at the gym is overflowing with wegovy injectors

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

The sharps container at the gym is overflowing with wegovy injectors

thats dire

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ok so now the la times fired all its writers. i subscribe to, and read, the la times. as does my dad. what are we supposed to read now for news, news about the los angeles metropolitan area, a very big, wealthy city. its dawning on me now just how hosed up this is lol. insanely awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

quote:

”Our engineering and supply chain teams are making progress on innovative, alternative materials for use in the sealing process,”

lol gently caress stanley so much. the materials and process already exist for using lead free solder in double walled vacuum insulated drink containers. they are currently being sold by at least one company. the reason stanley isn’t doing this is not because of the slow pace of innovation, it’s because they need to keep their prices low enough to hit the sweet spot of faux luxury middle class status symbol.

i used to thrift these bottles for a couple bucks but I threw them all away when I found out they had lead in them. i don’t give a poo poo if it’s “protected” by paint or a false bottom — I don’t want that poo poo any closer to my drinkware than it needs to be.