Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

harperdc posted:

Yeah, even if it's neutral versus the worst part of Texas, think about your day-to-day life in the U.S. -- going by car to different indoor locations, and everything inside is A/C -- compared with outdoor walking in Japan. Even doing daily stuff, it's so different, and that is what makes it worse.

For living there and doing day-to-day stuff, absolutely. For a couple weeks just as a tourist, I don't find it all that different -- and I still go back to the South in summer sometimes. Yeah you get sweaty, but it's not like a tourist has to go to work in a super sweaty shirt, and you can pop into a Starbucks whenever you're really suffering. For people who have temperature regulation issues then I heatstroke is a real concern, but for most people it really just seems like a combo of mind-over-matter + proper hydration.

It definitely rewards people who get up at sunrise who enjoy those 2-4 hours before the weather gets horrific, but it had really zero impact on our trip planning, except that we look like sweaty messes in any photograph taken after 10am, meaning that a bunch of photos of ourselves from the Nara deer park and Kyoto Philosopher's Path and etc look kinda gross.

We visited then because one of us in the friend group is a school teacher and so can't really pick non-lovely times of year to visit, and I otherwise wouldn't pick summer but it's not like it's Delhi or Kuwait levels of danger-to-life heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Good Listener posted:

Curious if any of you all are into heavy metal music? Roomie kind of wants to hit a record store while we're in Tokyo and just curious if you all have any recommendations?

The Disc Union Metal in Shinjuku is my favorite. They have a wide range, from Western classics like Priest and Slayer to bandcamp indie J-metal bands. Most 2nd hand, but also have new releases. CD, vinyl and even some tapes. This is the address

〒160-0022 東京都新宿区新宿3-34-12 下菊ビル 4F

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Does anyone have any recommended clothing stores? Vintage or luxury, it does not matter to me.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Does anyone have any recommended clothing stores? Vintage or luxury, it does not matter to me.

For this I would recommend youtube, there are a few people who find vintage clothing, toy and other stores in Japan and post videos on them. I tried to ask about this on Reddit and got a lot of outdated info or shops with weird hours.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Shammypants posted:

For this I would recommend youtube, there are a few people who find vintage clothing, toy and other stores in Japan and post videos on them. I tried to ask about this on Reddit and got a lot of outdated info or shops with weird hours.

Word. Thank you!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I went to Heian Jingu at 8 am on a rainy weekday and it was empty and beautiful.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Depends on what you like, I would personally advise on hitting the japanese heritage & denim brand stores: Japan Blue, Momotaro, Real McCoys... Thankfully they're all in or around Harajuku.
A bit further out you have Hinoya in Ueno and Bears in Shimokitazawa.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I've never actually been there, but is the east coast (eastern Chiba, and the east coast, Sendai, etc.) actually cooler in the summertime and/or have a shorter summer that Tokyo? The climate section of the wikipedia for Sendai seems to make you want to think that it usually only gets up to like 85 degrees F in the summertime but there's no way that can be right.

When my wife and I buy a house we can settle down pretty much anywhere but being somewhere that the summer is not as miserable (without being in Sapporo the rest of the year) would be cool. I've never been to Tohoku anyways.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Appreciate the suggestions, will def pass them onto my roomie!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

I've never actually been there, but is the east coast (eastern Chiba, and the east coast, Sendai, etc.) actually cooler in the summertime and/or have a shorter summer that Tokyo? The climate section of the wikipedia for Sendai seems to make you want to think that it usually only gets up to like 85 degrees F in the summertime but there's no way that can be right.

When my wife and I buy a house we can settle down pretty much anywhere but being somewhere that the summer is not as miserable (without being in Sapporo the rest of the year) would be cool. I've never been to Tohoku anyways.

I have been to Sendai in winter (end of December) and Tohoku (Aomori, Iwate and Akita) in the peak of summer.

Sendai had decent amount of snow where as back in Tokyo there was none.

Tohoku in the summer was cooler than Tokyo but still warm and muggy enough.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I have 2 topen tickets in my group for Jimmy Carr on Monday 1/29 (1830 doors, 1930 start) if anyone wants a ticket or to join. They were 8900 each and should be pretty good seats since I bought them early, but they haven't told us seat numbers yet so who knows.

E: gone

Aredna fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 24, 2024

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Okay I really really want to know what Jimmy Carr doing a live British comedy show in Tokyo at a huge venue would be like

I feel like it'd be magically uncomfortable

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

Okay I really really want to know what Jimmy Carr doing a live British comedy show in Tokyo at a huge venue would be like

Literally exactly the same as any show since the audience is 99% gaijin.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Jimmy Kuruma

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Riptor posted:

Jimmy Kuruma

Jimi kuruma

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Mister Chief posted:

Literally exactly the same as any show since the audience is 99% gaijin.

First time in Japan he also had material on Fukushima and about 5 minutes taking the poo poo out of English teachers.

Latter part was the quietest part of the night because it turns out they don't like being on the receiving end of his jokes.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

This reminds me when I met Tom Green in Shibuya few years ago and he was desperately trying to sell me tickets to his stand-up show. Like my dude, I love you but I'm not sure you have an audience here.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Tokyo Subway Monkey Hour is still an iconic piece of comedy though, and a real relic of the times

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Aredna posted:

about 5 minutes taking the poo poo out of English teachers.

I would love to hear that material.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aredna posted:

Latter part was the quietest part of the night because it turns out they don't like being on the receiving end of his jokes.

Cuts a bit close to the bone. Would like to hear that too though.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Gabriel Grub posted:

I would love to hear that material.

Me, too. I was drunk enough I don't remember it. Hoping he does it again this time or at least a similar bit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish I met Tom Green in shibuya.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
My bum is on Hachiko

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish I met Tom Green in shibuya.

def the one-balled guy i wouldn't mind running into in tokyo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Japan: Donki is

Mr. Fix It posted:

def the one-balled guy i wouldn't mind running into in tokyo

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Donki is the meme title of the thread but as an aside I had a lot more fun in other chains. Hard Off, BIC Camera, Yodobashi, Laox, Edion and the Daiso variants that include higher quality home goods. The list is actually really long. I know they kind of do different things, but the snacks and home supplies section was never really interesting to me when other stores had better quality paper towers/tissues and snacks at better prices. I genuinely feel like you could visit Japan, skip Donki entirely and miss nothing but it's worth one good visit and that's it. The stores are definitely samey. It seems like a pretty clear 'made for landfill' type store, like a combo of old-kmart and new target.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 26, 2024

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I think if you go to Daiso, Village Vanguard, and Bic Camera you got it covered.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

I think if you go to Daiso, Village Vanguard, and Bic Camera you got it covered.

The thing with some of the chains is that they all have different used products for sale and that makes them somewhat more interesting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

I don’t remember offhand if Village Vanguard has that same “18+ only” section covered but yeah, that’s the gist of it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think VV is gonna go under soon.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol who is going to Donki for home supplies

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Honestly the only reason I go to Donki is to get the Fist of the North Star sake.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol who is going to Donki for home supplies

As a tourist you might want tissues, or whatever, and the quality of anything "useful" at Donki is literally below 'poo poo' level.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shammypants posted:

As a tourist you might want tissues, or whatever, and the quality of anything "useful" at Donki is literally below 'poo poo' level.

This is untrue.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Probably something stupid to get hung up on, but I'm looking at coming over in november from the uk
Phone is locked, Galaxy S10e, a couple of searches indicate that it 'might' work on the networks there but not full support, missing a third of the signal bands. I don't really want to get a pocket wifi or the phone unlocked, think the phone will be ok? Network here is O2, they've got travel data stuff (£6 per day, unlimited data) I'm just a bit anxious about the network.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Iymarra posted:

Probably something stupid to get hung up on, but I'm looking at coming over in november from the uk
Phone is locked, Galaxy S10e, a couple of searches indicate that it 'might' work on the networks there but not full support, missing a third of the signal bands. I don't really want to get a pocket wifi or the phone unlocked, think the phone will be ok? Network here is O2, they've got travel data stuff (£6 per day, unlimited data) I'm just a bit anxious about the network.

All modern phones work on the data networks of every country, there aren’t any meaningful differences anymore for normal use unless you’re tethering and need crazy bandwidth or care about 5G for some reason. £6/day also sounds like a lot but if it’s a short trip may be better than dealing with Airolo or getting a SIM on the spot.

There are still locked phones? I thought that stopped years ago.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 26, 2024

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At least 4G, LTE and 5G networks should be interoperable everywhere. And the older techs are now gradually being turned off around the world, too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

There are still locked phones? I thought that stopped years ago.

A lot of carriers will cut you a deal on a new handset if you commit to them for a period of time and network locking is an easy way to force the customer to stick with the carrier that's subsidizing the handset.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Your carrier should have this info. When phones were also still locked here my carrier could tell me exactly which network I’d connect to when I landed in Japan, and they made sure I would be able to use it by removing two separate software restrictions - so my vote for a locked phone is to check in with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

kaom posted:

Your carrier should have this info. When phones were also still locked here my carrier could tell me exactly which network I’d connect to when I landed in Japan, and they made sure I would be able to use it by removing two separate software restrictions - so my vote for a locked phone is to check in with them.

Oh weird, locked phones can also have access to certain bands restricted, even though they’re available in hardware?

The locking never made sense to me anyway; you’re committed to the contract anyway, unless you buy a subsidized phone in the UK and then flee to New Zealand or something and never plan on moving back.