Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Stultus Maximus posted:

I do not get this at all.
All Keir Starmer has to do to win the next general election is not get involved in the ridiculous slapfights that Sunak, Hunt, and I guess Penny Mordaunt keep getting themselves into over the repeated failures of ridiculous things like the Rwanda Plan and the Bibby Stockholm.

(Also possibly that Starmer does not appear to have any policies and is winning by the marginal virtue of not being any of the above.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I do not get this at all.

First couple panels are about how Keir Starmer has done generic image-polishing humanizing statements. The rest is about how the Tories are just self-destructing and all he has to do is not draw any attention to himself.

e:f;b

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You know how "generic politician" always tops the polls? The Labour party finally found him and he's named Keir.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I didn’t think any of those license obscurers worked. A fake license plate would but the penalties for that must be enormous.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Murdstone posted:

I didn’t think any of those license obscurers worked. A fake license plate would but the penalties for that must be enormous.

There's some that work like cell phone privacy screen protectors and severely limit the viewable angle of your plate. Those might last long enough to not get caught by the cops and not be visible on a camera.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Speakers of Romance languages?

I wouldn't call them sexless objects

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Murdstone posted:

You just have to obscure a letter or two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkW-v0-WJPw

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would superglue a roadkill to my license plate.

No, there are no cameras here, I would do it just because :black101:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

All Keir Starmer has to do to win the next general election is not get involved in the ridiculous slapfights that Sunak, Hunt, and I guess Penny Mordaunt keep getting themselves into over the repeated failures of ridiculous things like the Rwanda Plan and the Bibby Stockholm.

(Also possibly that Starmer does not appear to have any policies and is winning by the marginal virtue of not being any of the above.)

Also, Gladiators got a revival.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Broelman:

Le Lievre:

Lethbridge:

Leak, Son of Leak:

For a moment I thought Albanese had said something about truth-telling from the Uluru Statement from the Heart before it clicked this is again about him breaking his promise on tax cuts which will be on repeat for the next decade.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wait... so Albanese is giving more tax cuts than were originally planned, and the media is hitting him with this as a "broken promise"? Or did he cancel the tax cuts on the wealthy to redirect them to less wealthy?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The tax cuts are still happening but to everyone rather than just to the highest earners. Middle and middle-high income earners will come off the best, high income earners won't get as much as they would (but still get a tax cut).

But its a broken promise how can you trust him now. :argh:

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

This one should be stapled to Tom Stiglich's forehead so no one ever forgets what a ghoul he is

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

"DON'T COESS CERTH TEXAS."

I'll be sure not to do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stigliches these day's can't even draw cursive. :sad:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Trapezium Dave posted:

The tax cuts are still happening but to everyone rather than just to the highest earners. Middle and middle-high income earners will come off the best, high income earners won't get as much as they would (but still get a tax cut).

But its a broken promise how can you trust him now. :argh:
Come now, you know the worst thing a person can do from any modern capitalist society's point of view is make wealthy people get money slightly less quickly than they expected

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Guavanaut posted:

the repeated failures of ridiculous things like the Rwanda Plan and the Bibby Stockholm.

so, reading up, the tory leadership's play for refugees is

1) ship them to rwanda, 7000 miles away

2) house them on a fifty-year-old floating barge

....yeah kinda beginning to understand how the other guy wins doing nothing, to be honest

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Craig K posted:

....yeah kinda beginning to understand how the other guy wins doing nothing, to be honest

I’ve had to look it up a couple of times. It’s just so stupid that I assume I remembered it wrong.

Also to any other Americans : apparently “zombie knife” is big scary knife reminiscent of something out of a post-apocalypse. The bans are another one of those “forbid the scary thing while not thinking about what’s actually dangerous” deals.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Amjad Rasmi

Ann Telnaes

Bill Bramhall

Carlos Latuff

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

David Horsey posted:

The Republican zombie apocalypse is coming for Nikki Haley.

Now that she is the lone candidate left running as an alternative to former President Donald Trump in the GOP primaries, pressure is mounting on her to drop out. Making the risk Haley is facing starkly clear, Georgia Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene — the queen of the MAGA zombie horde — declared a day before the New Hampshire primary that, if Haley keeps running, she should be “eradicated” from the party.

To avoid such eradication, almost all the other failed GOP candidates who were in the race have endorsed Trump, including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who was unrelentingly belittled by Trump for nearly a year. DeSantis follows the example set by Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz who, in 2016, competed with Trump and repeatedly insisted the reality TV star was unfit to be president — until they were beaten and chose to pledge their fealty to the Mar-a-Lago con man.

Joining DeSantis, Cruz and Rubio, South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott has announced he is backing Trump, too, after his own candidacy went nowhere. Most of the Republican members of Congress are also rushing to endorse the twice-impeached, much indicted ex-president, pinning their withered political souls to his restoration.

The coarse insults Trump has aimed at Haley have gotten progressively more personal and racist, but they are not any worse than the vile disparagement of Ted Cruz’s wife and father that Trump engaged in eight years ago. Cruz swallowed his pride and shed his dignity. Will Haley do the same?

My guess is yes, she will. Once her campaign flounders following an expected primary loss in her home state, South Carolina, she will want to preserve her chance to run again in 2028. She cannot do that by following the examples of Liz Cheney and Chris Christie, who both told the truth about Trump and have become pariahs in their party. Instead, because she has demonstrated a political ambition that is much more central to her personality than the hard truths that she claims to tell (and never really does), it is a safe bet that she will capitulate, just like the rest of the GOP’s timorous souls.

Haley thought she might have success running as a rational Republican, but she has come up against one very hard truth: Her party has abandoned rationality and become a zombie cult entirely in thrall to Trump.

David M. Hitch

Dick Wright

Drew Sheneman

Ed Gamble

Jeff Danziger

This crossover with the David M. Hitch Extended Universe isn't going so well.

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Darkow

Lee Judge

The original line ("I wish I knew how to quit you") would have probably worked better here. You should probably look up the quote before drawing an entire cartoon featuring it.

Mike Peters

Mike Smith

Pedro X. Molina

Uh... is this some kind of equivalent of Horsey's thing?

Randall Enos

Rick McKee

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

If only this statement were made in a medium that could somehow express it in a visual, representative way instead of through text. Ah, well, I suppose such things are impossible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

If only this statement were made in a medium that could somehow express it in a visual, representative way instead of through text. Ah, well, I suppose such things are impossible.

Are you sure you want that?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you sure you want that?

I'm already reading this thread. Let's just take it as far as it will go.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Is it Dewey Dawner?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Get hosed, you old poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kellies nomination: Worst label.

also, se.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Get hosed, you old poo poo.

It's funny because yeah, that's how it's supposed to loving work.
"Let's vote for the person who made my life better in a real and tangible way!"

Kellies Nomination: Stupid Sexy Homer

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
No, only racist shits like Mike Lester see minorities in jobs and think "diversity hire???? Must be, right??? Because if it was based on merit wouldn't it be a white guy???" That's you, you do that.
And guess what, they were going to do that anyway, because they've always loving done that, for decades.

oh, no! Not the poor high income earners!!!

the_steve posted:

It's funny because yeah, that's how it's supposed to loving work.
"Let's vote for the person who made my life better in a real and tangible way!"
Leaving the world better for your kids than you found it is also how it's supposed to work.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Hey... President Biden just did something good for Americans like me!
That's great, son! Let's vote for him because voting for people who do poo poo you like is how democracy is supposed to work!
Wow, society is improving over time and I'm bitter!
I wonder if the tax burden will be shifted to my income bracket completely unnecessarily, and what's modern monetary theory?

Edit: didn't see people pointing all that out first but conservatives have gotten so used to the government doing poo poo against people they hate rather than actually doing anything for them that they think this is an aberration

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 27, 2024

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Could Ed Gamble be more of a sundowning boomer?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

axolotl farmer posted:

Could Ed Gamble be more of a sundowning boomer?
The father is not making it actively clear he hates the mother in that cartoon, but he is still complaining, so partial credit

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I only now noticed everyone in that Ed Gamble cartoon is wearing clown-size shoes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A literal

Yay, thing!

Thing good?

Thing actually bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Craig K posted:

Why do you think something like that would bother the people who voted for Brexit?

I think it's more that it's just the latest episode in an endless cavalcade of dumb poo poo, and people have finally had enough.

Basic, but not a bad cartoon, whoever this is. Straightforward, no unnecessary labels, and you still immediately understand what it's trying to convey.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 27, 2024

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

No, only racist shits like Mike Lester see minorities in jobs and think "diversity hire???? Must be, right??? Because if it was based on merit wouldn't it be a white guy???" That's you, you do that.
And guess what, they were going to do that anyway, because they've always loving done that, for decades.

It's even worse than that: this is the position they've been pushing. We've had a bunch of chuds writing articles, drawing cartoons, and doing segments on right-wing media about how DEI is terrible because unqualified people will be hired... and now we have Lester writing a cartoon about how people might believe the things he and his buddies have been saying and that is somehow DEI's fault. No, it's not the right-wing media that has placed this idea into peoples' heads! It just naturally arrived there as soon as they saw a Black person!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Gaslighting

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's even worse than that: this is the position they've been pushing. We've had a bunch of chuds writing articles, drawing cartoons, and doing segments on right-wing media about how DEI is terrible because unqualified people will be hired... and now we have Lester writing a cartoon about how people might believe the things he and his buddies have been saying and that is somehow DEI's fault. No, it's not the right-wing media that has placed this idea into peoples' heads! It just naturally arrived there as soon as they saw a Black person!

Yeah, the actual answer to the cartoon is “you should be angry at the racists who assume that DEI means that unqualified people get jobs (and thus the inherent assumption that all white people are competent), not DEI”

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Islamic Shock posted:

Edit: didn't see people pointing all that out first but conservatives have gotten so used to the government doing poo poo against people they hate rather than actually doing anything for them that they think this is an aberration

Lol you are absolutely right, cons now only see the government as a club to beat people they dont like, and if its not being used to hurt people it should just leave them in misery, theres nothing else we can do with it.

They really internalized that ronald regan Nine terrifying words thing

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 27, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, the actual answer to the cartoon is “you should be angry at the racists who assume that DEI means that unqualified people get jobs (and thus the inherent assumption that all white people are competent), not DEI”
Also at the c-suite level all the DEI arguments are pro-capitalism, like "you will appeal to a greater section of the marketplace with a more diverse front of house staff" and "employees will be able to identify problems that a monocultural team might miss" and "corporate banks give better rates to companies with good DEI scores" and yeah I know that's part of marketing to the target audience, but chuds look at DEI and start screaming about globalist Jewish communism, because their racism trumps their claims of being pro-market.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the ICJ’s verdict on Israel – The international court of justice has ordered Israel to ‘take all measures’ to prevent acts of genocide in Gaza"

Telegraph:

Ukraine conflict shows calling up public can win wars, says UK Army chief

Matt:

Telegraph takeover: UK government intends to order new investigation into deal

Independent:

After Henry Fuseli.

The i paper:

Times:

Reconsider size of your forces, head of US navy tells Britain

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cloud Potato posted:

The i paper:

Kellies Nomination: Most Revolting

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cloud Potato posted:

The i paper:

i do not appreciate being exposed to jennings anal vore fetish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Islamic Shock posted:

Wow, society is improving over time and I'm bitter!
We have to respect the suffering of prior generations by perpetuating the afflictions they suffered from. That's why we need to stop vaccinating and bring back smallpox, polio, and tuberculosis.