Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dreezy posted:

out of purely economic curiosity, are goons going to the cinema with friends/family/fuckbuddies or shamefully alone? not intended to shame the loners despite the previous use of the word “shamefully, it just slipped in there
Alone like 99% of the time. If I waited for friends/family to go to the movies, I wouldn't go anywhere near as often.

Although I did somehow convince my dad to go see John Wick 4 with me last year. He liked it, but he hadn't seen any of the previous John Wick movies so I told him he would probably be lost and indeed he was haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I have no qualms at all about going to a movie (or concert or whatever) solo. I'm not going to miss out on something just because I don't know anyone who is interested and available. Sure, it's nice to make it a date night or go with my film-going buddy so we can do a nice debrief after, but I also enjoy getting my favorite table, having a drink and some snacks, and just lounging in the best seat in the house. Plus there's so many options that I like going to things on a whim if I hear about them last-minute. Multiplexes are OK for like a late run or maybe some early showing on a weekday, but I despise dealing with the big crowds.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gripweed posted:

Apparently it's not just a filter, they actually hosed with contrast and stuff in specific shots to make it look nice in black and white.

I don't really see the point, but I didn't see the point of the black and white versions of Mad Max or The Mist either.

Yeah I find this kind of thing gimmicky unless they intended it to be black and white to begin with, in which case just shoot it in black and white. It was particularly egregious with Mad Max and losing all the saturated desert colours.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think the last time I tried to go with other people to the movies was Avatar, and even then my then date had ditched me earlier but I went alone anyway. After that I just didn't bother inviting other people to watch movies and it's so much simpler. I don't go often enough to be a bother anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Last time I regularly went to the movies was maybe 20 years ago. I did sneak out of a work meeting once to see Fury Road in the theatre, which I was pretty meh on afterwords, but nothing since.

Price too high, food too bad, floors too sticky, too many of that one person in the back who has a laugh that makes the rest of the theatre audibly go WTF.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Fury Road in the theatre, which I was pretty meh on afterwords
:catstare:

Fury Road is one of the best action movies of the past decade, wtf

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Last time I regularly went to the movies was maybe 20 years ago. I did sneak out of a work meeting once to see Fury Road in the theatre

badass

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

which I was pretty meh on afterwords

gently caress YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

iirc i skipped uni for fury road

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Last time I regularly went to the movies was maybe 20 years ago. I did sneak out of a work meeting once to see Fury Road in the theatre, which I was pretty meh on afterwords, but nothing since.

did you get your head checked in the meantime

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love fury road but I don’t understand why a black and white version is a thing. The colours are amazing in that movie. Whatever I’ll just watch the colourful one!!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Logan had a black and white version too. It’s just a gimmick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1750958757662621967?t=eTNEJTN1mruYTUWC_VTQZg&s=19

For a gimmick this B&W looks really drat good and invokes the original film.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What makes a scenario where black and white would actually be superior? It's just less visual information.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I liked watching the mist in black and white, kinda makes it feel like an outer limits episode

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1750958757662621967?t=eTNEJTN1mruYTUWC_VTQZg&s=19

For a gimmick this B&W looks really drat good and invokes the original film.

when godzilla belched his beam it looked kinda bad imo. the cut to the people in the boat looked pretty cool though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Precious few things I actually wanna see in the theater these days but when I do it's almost always with SO

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

What makes a scenario where black and white would actually be superior? It's just less visual information.

Schindler’s list

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Those executions in the Punisher game from the early 2000s

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

counterfeitsaint posted:

When the filmmaker decides to do it from the start and films it with that in mind.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's just less visual information.

I feel like the film school answer pretty much is that. I.e. it's basically hyperfocusing on light and shadow to achieve some desired artistic effect.

Presumably this would influence almost everything about making the movie, and not be something where you slap a filter on at the end as a gimmick to get on more screens

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It’s fun looking at stuff like the Addams Family set where the whole living room is pink, because all that mattered was how grey it looked on the film and the shadows everything casts.

It’s also why Universal’s Frankenstein keeps getting portrayed as being green now, because Karlofs makeup was green to make him the shade of grey they wanted for the monster’s skin

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Stuff that was being filmed just after the introduction of color and people learning to use it vs. BW film would be interesting to examine

Star Trek TOS uses this like garish-rear end background lighting and I always wondered if it was a "hey audience we have color now check this poo poo out"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

counterfeitsaint posted:

What makes a scenario would it be superior to see a film that is edited instead of one that shows a 24-hour live feed of everything that happens to every single character throughout the whole story? It's just less information!

(I mean, I get what you are trying to say. But arguing against B&W film because it is "less visual information" is the kind of beep-boop reddit-brained thing that completely misses the point of film as an artistic medium.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Monkey Fracas posted:

Stuff that was being filmed just after the introduction of color and people learning to use it vs. BW film would be interesting to examine

Star Trek TOS uses this like garish-rear end background lighting and I always wondered if it was a "hey audience we have color now check this poo poo out"

Lost In Space is a great example of this. The first season was in B&W and then went to color in season 2. It used loving wild colors everywhere just because of that .

Same for Batman. It being in color was a huge selling point and a reason why it also had loud and weird color choices everywhere.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like to understand the mindset of how black and white is beautiful it's helpful to read eg david lynch talking about it. I mean that's the sort of wavelength this topic operates on.

But then he says in that interview he thinks "2023 is the end of a transition that has been going on for a long time, and it seems that we are quickly reaching a very happy moment for the world", so maybe he's not a person to rely on after all

quote:

One of the most beautiful things about your shorts is that they reconnect with black and white.

It's funny that you tell me about it, I had an appointment two days ago with Fred Elmes, the cinematographer of Eraserhead, which we shot with Double-X black and white film. There is the +X, the double X and the tri-X. Fred told me we only do Double-X, my favorite. It is simply exquisite. The black and white is so sublime. (He pauses suddenly and for a long time, his voice begins to tremble). You can go back in time more easily with black and white, you can... visit another world. One day, we had sent a magnificent copy of Eraserhead to Deauville. The film was shown late at night, during a session with proper dress required, people came to sit in tuxedos in this brand new cinema which was at the forefront of technical refinement. A Frenchman whose name I have forgotten told me: "On the screen appeared your film, Eraserhead. But it was not black and white. It was black and silver... It was so beautiful. The colors of the crowd matched those of the screen." I pictured myself this evening, and I can still see it... And those people in tuxedos, it's the pinnacle of elegance. That's what a screening should be: a party with lots of people in tuxedos. It's such a treasured tradition.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 26, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Part of it was “HEY LOOK COLOR” but part of it was “we can use the same set for 5 different rooms this episode by just replacing the gels in the lights pointed at the white walls,” it was pretty brilliant.

Star Trek also was shot in a way where it still looked good and clear in black and white, which was important considering that color TV still was new.

Edit: also I’m 100% convinced that Rob Zombie wanted to make his Munsters in black and white and only after everything was built did someone from the studio say “no, it has to be color”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 26, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I don't know how much of it was done to show off "hey, we are in color now!" and how much was done because broadcast TV back then absolutely topped-out at 480p resolution and most viewers were more likely seeing the equivalent of 360p (along with plenty of static and interference).

It definitely wasn't because people didn't know how to shoot things in color yet. People had been shooting films in color all over Hollywood for well over a decade before the first color broadcast, and almost all films were in color by the time network shows were starting to shoot in it.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Directors of action and monster movies get to feel intellectual and important. Look out for Eternals 2 to be rereleased in black and white.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I can’t even imagine how loving sickening the black and white justice league would look. Even the color one is just a muddy splotch

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm not arguing against B&W, just trying to understand why it would be chosen over color, a lot of the explanations make a lot of sense.

As for Star Trek's use of color, I remember hearing once the TV manufacturers were pushing for really bright, garish colors that would stand out in a store front window to encourage more people to buy color tvs.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

PostNouveau posted:

Usually with people, but I might go see Poor Things alone because it looks like it might be a perv movie.

make sure to get the poor things popcorn bucket

:nws:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TIP posted:

make sure to get the poor things popcorn bucket

:nws:

lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rageaholic posted:

:catstare:

Fury Road is one of the best action movies of the past decade, wtf

It just didn't do it for me. I attribute this to two things. One, it felt a bit too style over substance for me. For post apocalypse wasteland, these "junker" hot rods felt a bit too planned out and polished. The armor a little too styled and refined. In earlier films, everything felt far more thrown together at the last minute and barely works. Most likely due to those films smaller nature and budget, but it worked in their favor. I just felt Mad Max "going big" as a franchise didn't do it any favors.

The much larger issue though, I've just lost all interest in the action genre as a whole. Loved it as a kid, but now I find 99% of the genre insipid and boring.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The genre probably is 99% insipid and boring but I feel like in the rare case where an action movie actually executes simply and well it tends to be one of my favorite movies of that year. Fury road, top gun maverick, godzilla minus one, being basically the holy trinity of that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kingo Ligma posted:

Directors of action and monster movies get to feel intellectual and important. Look out for Eternals 2 to be rereleased in black and white.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like to understand the mindset of how black and white is beautiful it's helpful to read eg david lynch talking about it. I mean that's the sort of wavelength this topic operates on.

But then he says in that interview he thinks "2023 is the end of a transition that has been going on for a long time, and it seems that we are quickly reaching a very happy moment for the world", so maybe he's not a person to rely on after all

Lynch isn't a huge fan of film in general now though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Dyl1V_Hvg

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

billymumphrey posted:

Lynch isn't a huge fan of film in general now though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Dyl1V_Hvg

That interview is from 2006, the one I posted is from april last year, so I think he evolved on it. I can understand a 78 year old man containing some nostalgia driven internal contradictions on the subject

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I think filming in black and white takes a different "eye" to make it look good. Like the scene has to be more visually interesting or have greater contrast to stand out in black and white. So making a movie in color (or just photography in general) then turning it black and white is boring.

I always heard the 60s TV shows like Star Trek used garish colors so that it was easier to see on black and white TV sets. Kind of like the Musters, set being pink or whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kingo Ligma posted:

man they haven't even followed up on the Black Knight tease from the end of Eternals 1. What the gently caress are they doing?

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
Movies for Sluts for Garbage

starting at 8:00 eastern on the discord

1. My Science Project

high schoolers find secret military time travel ufo's or something

2. Wild Beasts

what if roar, but cheap and italian!

3. America 3000

post-nuclear holocaust america is ruled by a tribe of warrior ladies who keep men enslaved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

One of my favorite activities watching America 3000 is to try and count how many of the tiny baby crossbows ever appear on screen at once.