Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rand Brittain posted:

I thought I would try this one out, and it works fine on the Steam Deck, but on PC it seems completely unwilling to work properly with my wired 8bitdo controller. The left stick is fine, but it keeps attacking when I use the right stick, and the start button doesn't do anything (but R1 opens the menu? Is that normal?).

I confirmed that all the controller's settings are default and I haven't altered the keybinds.

If anybody knows a way to fix this, I'll repay you by agreeing with your opinions about which Dark Souls game is the best.
DS2 is really weird about controller inputs. iirc the issue, which I also had at some point, was that it double-maps the controller, both from the controller driver itself and from Steam's internal controller mapping. For me, I use a PS4 controller over bluetooth, for a while it only worked wired, until I told the program I use (DS4windows) to "hide" the controller, then it worked on BT too. Maybe you can disable steam mapping your controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Funny thing is that using ds3 tool or other dualshock (3 and 4) software or even FRAPS could get you softbanned on PC. 8bitdo software is "official" and shouldn't be a problem but watch out if suddenly you never watch a white sign on the ground while on the souls memory range for the zone. It's the only game that I've had that issue and nowadays I only play it on console (PS 4/5 or Xbox) because on PC I can't even help others.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Is the 8bitdo in the correct mode?

I know DS2 also has some bizarre mapping issue where you can get stuck in a broken alternate bind mode. I think the solution was to go in and rip out every overlapping bind and set everything clear and simple.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 23, 2023

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

christmas boots posted:

It's one effigy, Bearer of the Curse. What could it cost? 1000 souls?

Perhaps a bearer shall I seek (lest).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Seeker of Fire mod got a big update to 2.0

Gonna be trying it. Seems interesting so far, you can pick the cat ring as a starting gift and one of the classes starts with an Uchigatana.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
For any goons that may still be playing on the 360 or PS3. DS2 online servers will go offline March 31st, 2024

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Making my way through Scholar of the First Sin and I’ve been rocking the battle axe. Right now I’m leveling for power standing 2 axes but I’m curious if there are any other good strength weapons near the early game I could be using instead because the axe’s reach isn’t great. I’ve beaten the lost sinner but still need to kill the belfry gargoyles. Good armor is also a plus because I need to know how much I need to level vitality now that I’ve hit my soft caps for vigor and endurance.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Making my way through Scholar of the First Sin and I’ve been rocking the battle axe. Right now I’m leveling for power standing 2 axes but I’m curious if there are any other good strength weapons near the early game I could be using instead because the axe’s reach isn’t great. I’ve beaten the lost sinner but still need to kill the belfry gargoyles. Good armor is also a plus because I need to know how much I need to level vitality now that I’ve hit my soft caps for vigor and endurance.

Dual mace build is crazy strong and you can get them from the first vendor in Majula.

I'm not kidding, it was how I got through one of the DLC since you can buy more and reequip after one breaks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dual mace is really good (stunlocks Ruin Sentinels for example) but also doesn’t have a ton of range.

The greatsword is in No Man’s Wharf and you can grab it pretty quickly with a suicide run. Might need to look up the location.

Large club is in the Bastille, on a corpse close to Servants’ Quarters bonfire.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sorry, missed the range part of the question.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I switched out the battle axe for a dual mace build and wow, it really is crazy good. Stat question: I've got 30 Vigor 20 Endurance 19 Vitality 21 Strength 11 Dexterity 20 Adaptability 4 Attunement 3 Intelligence 6 Faith. Should I keep pumping Vitality to 29 or start pumping Strength so I can start moving towards dual wielding greatswords (or another strength weapon)?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I started a sorcery run, and run into a few things:

The "advanced" sorceries, like Soul Spear and Soul Vortex have so few casts compared to the damage they make that they are useless compared to just stacking up on Great Heavy Soul Arrows.

Yearn is completely useless, not even the dogs at the Bastille seems to go for it.

DLC mobs are more or less immune to magic. So I respecced and put enough into muscle to use the Dark Cryptsword. It looks like an ironing board and hits like a truck. Pretty fun!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

axolotl farmer posted:

I started a sorcery run, and run into a few things:

The "advanced" sorceries, like Soul Spear and Soul Vortex have so few casts compared to the damage they make that they are useless compared to just stacking up on Great Heavy Soul Arrows.

Yearn is completely useless, not even the dogs at the Bastille seems to go for it.

DLC mobs are more or less immune to magic. So I respecced and put enough into muscle to use the Dark Cryptsword. It looks like an ironing board and hits like a truck. Pretty fun!
The trick with Soul Spear is to Ascetic the area and get a second copy immediately, then you can cast 8 times. It's plenty for bosses and you don't really need it against mobs. Also, you can always munch on grasses if needed. Vortex is just bad tho

You're right about the DLC - however, the normal enemies are super weak to being backstabbed. I just cast Dagger on them when doing a magic run

Generally tho, pure Sorcery is both a bit of a struggle in DS2 and also rather boring until you can do sick Blue Flame powerstance or Moonlight Greatsword nonsense (which turn it into a melee build again). Hexes is definitely where it's at!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hey, I got two Blue flames, maybe I should go upgrade them a bit!

I decided to to the DLCs right after Velstadt, so there's a chunk of main game left for sorceries.

Did a hexer run with the Moonlight Greatsword for DLCs earlier. That was a fun build. Also the STR powerstancing Zweihander and Claymore.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yearn rules in DS2 for at least three boss fights and constantly in DLCs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Looking over this game, I kind of want it to get a PS5 remake along the lines of what Demon's Souls got more than any of the others. It's impressive how good its setpieces are, and how bad most of its actual levels are, like it's being heavily weighed down by the need to make everything some shade of brown.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Limmy's first playthrough of DS2 live right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkPhE2MEgx8

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Guillermus posted:

Limmy's first playthrough of DS2 live right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkPhE2MEgx8

Cheers for that. Don't know the streamer, but DS2 first playthroughs are totally my jam. At least the earlier parts, as late game, stats tend to do all the lifting. But that early struggle with the controls, that first Pursuer encounter, the awakening of the Heide Knights, the spear Heide Knight on the way to the drake platform, the absolute despair of the Wharf, the soldier ganking in the tower leading to Sentinels... This is all pure unadulterated emotional gold.

edit: "I don't know where tae gently caress to go..." "I'm absolutely loving lost!" <- game is delivering already

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Limmy is a Scottish comedy actor that streams often. I really enjoy his stuff and watching him play DS2 for the first time is funny as hell to me

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, you may recognize him as the "but steel is heavier than feathers" guy, or from this meme:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm not his biggest fan but it's DS2 so I'm going to watch to see how he copes with all the bullshit :lol:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah, you may recognize him as the "but steel is heavier than feathers" guy, or from this meme:

me playing in bed on the Steam Deck when the Bandai Namco screen appears

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Limmy nooo you got to level adp

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Limmy nooo you got to level adp

I almost never do

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Dark Souls 2 is the only one I haven't played and watching Limmy play this has ended up being all the encouragement I need to pick it up.

It threw me the gently caress off when he started dumping a bunch of levels into ADP to start with. No idea what that poo poo is.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Bumhead posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the only one I haven't played and watching Limmy play this has ended up being all the encouragement I need to pick it up.

It threw me the gently caress off when he started dumping a bunch of levels into ADP to start with. No idea what that poo poo is.

ADP goes towards agility, which increases your dodge i-frames and speeds up your item usage animation

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

ADP goes towards agility, which increases your dodge i-frames and speeds up your item usage animation

To put this into perspective, in Dark Souls 1 a fast roll gives you 13 i-frames and even a fat roll gives you 9.

In Dark Souls 2, several classes start with a roll that gives you 5. To get to 13, you need 105 agility, which takes like 20 levels of adaptability (dependent on starting class and attunement)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
People tend to be happy with the 100 agility breakpoint too. I tend to like more iframes so I go high on agility, but you don't have to go for 105 or the higher breakpoints (looks like 115 is the same number of iframes as the dark wood grain ring and 120 is more iframes).

Oh also worth considering: for the most part, your equip load impacts your roll distance in this game, so don't worry too much about your actual percentage.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you're a spellcaster of any kind you can get some agility from attunement, which is nice for not spreading stats too thin

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The first real breakpoint is getting to 86 agility, which is a pain especially for Bandit starts. And Bandit is best starting class for pure melee, because they dump Attunement. That means the first 5 levels will go into ADP to get to that 86 agi breakpoint.

After that there is a smooth increase, and the first real softcap is at 99 agility. Getting to 105 is a pain and I don't even go for that even at meta pvp.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

purple burglar alarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC__o1UxDl8

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

The first real breakpoint is getting to 86 agility, which is a pain especially for Bandit starts. And Bandit is best starting class for pure melee, because they dump Attunement. That means the first 5 levels will go into ADP to get to that 86 agi breakpoint.

After that there is a smooth increase, and the first real softcap is at 99 agility. Getting to 105 is a pain and I don't even go for that even at meta pvp.

Does this chart not have all the rolls or is there really no FLOMP roll in dark souls 2, I forget.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does this chart not have all the rolls or is there really no FLOMP roll in dark souls 2, I forget.

You can still flomp but in DS2 your i-frames are controlled by agility, not by the animation. Though you probably have more vulnerability frames after rolling since the animation is slow.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1756309079683665981?t=Tq3Wtc32NSXRD4GcPTk0Og

Making some progress on a map of DS2 after being stuck on it for a while. Major remaining parts I'm unsure about are the Shrine of Amana, which is very loosely formed with some kind of tree dome, and the DLC which I'll probably just stick off to the side near the warp locations. Not sure how to handle the fact that every zone has a distinct lighting/skybox that clashes with everywhere else... ignore it I suppose.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it looks like you're appropriately taking some liberties, since the maps as they are overlap in several places

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah several things had to be spaced out and the Castle D -> Amana -> Tomb section got moved out a ways because it collides with everything. Overall it wasn't as much shifting as I expected though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

it looks like you're appropriately taking some liberties, since the maps as they are overlap in several places

It's funny that The Elevator™ isn't even the most hosed up part of DS2 map but the most famous

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here's the full version: https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1757391102829609323?t=bDrIZfoOcqiuwH6IK1EAhQ

Not sure if I'll add the DLC areas or not. Would like to but they are each sort of in their own little universe.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Very nice looking! That's a lot of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Electromax posted:

Here's the full version: https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1757391102829609323?t=bDrIZfoOcqiuwH6IK1EAhQ

Not sure if I'll add the DLC areas or not. Would like to but they are each sort of in their own little universe.

Really cool map. That said, even with your changes, it still looks a little too much like a DS1 mini-world to me if that makes sense. The feeling I get playing DS2 is that a lot of places are a lot further apart than the time it takes to reach them makes it feel. Basically all the roads from Majula for example, which maybe would have been better handled as transitions like the bird/boat trips to the Bastille. And the DLCs play a bit into that: I could see the Sunken City in a pit below the Gulch and Brume tower in the mountains surrounding the Iron Keep, but the frozen expanses of Eleum Loyce really feels like it's well away from everything and would be a bit awkward to place on your map.

The map below carries more what I feel like I'm exploring when playing DS2, even though the travel times don't match it:

Not sure how (or if) the two scales could be reconciled, mind, since you pretty much have areas down to individual rooms.