Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Act 3
Bhaal goons in the city being offended during combat at a character wearing Sarevok helmet, such a fun detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

How is doing that not explicitly against the oath of ancients lol
I thought it was in line with the "acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness" that are in the tenets. I'm supposed to throw away the key and leave a bunch of sad vampire kids imprisoned forever, or kill them all? That does not "kindle the light of hope" to me.

I interpreted the undead thing as more about raising skeletons and zombies and such, rather than free-willed undead, especially because the game did not have an issue with me freeing Asterion and keeping him around, even when he had definitely murdered a lot of people and bitten more than a few. I figured extrapolating from the test case would be fine!

grack posted:

You released a bunch of insane, mostly feral vampire spawn out into the wild to wreak havoc. Of course that's going to break your oath.
Well to be fair I released them into the Underdark, which is full of people I'd apparently be allowed to kill anyway, so no lose right? The only nice guys down there were the mushroom men, who don't even have blood to worry about. I am sure there are no convenient exits to the rest of the world, this will be fine. Sebastian even wrote me a nice letter saying they had murdered a lot of people were doing just fine.

That's why I didn't buy out of the oath-breaking anyway, I decided that I hadn't made a mistake, just found a time when I disagreed with the tenets, so I should live with being an oathbreaker.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

The tadpole did it.
Though let's be honest both him and SH should pretty much trigger a fall for certain paladins especially paladins of like lathander or selune.
Edit: speaking of paladins of X who has the funnest dialog options other than selune/evil gods?

Paladins in 5e are not deity-based but instead are subject to principle-based Oaths that determine their subclass. BG3's selection is limited to Ancients (life), Devotion (honorable justice), Vengeance (FFXIV Dark Knight's justice), and Oathbreaker (the Way of Oops).

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Runa posted:

Paladins in 5e are not deity-based but instead are subject to principle-based Oaths that determine their subclass. BG3's selection is limited to Ancients (life), Devotion (honorable justice), Vengeance (FFXIV Dark Knight's justice), and Oathbreaker (the Way of Oops).

I'm running a mod for deity options for paladins.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm running a mod for deity options for paladins.

Oh fair enough

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I really pity the Dragonborn who don't look look like dragons and are instead the Goomba from the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Further Reading posted:

I found a nice solution to my oathbreaker problem. Travel back to the grove and kill the druid who opens the gate.

I broke my Devotion oath by ambushing the Absolute cultists on the dock behind Moonrise. Which is weird to me that I have to challenge them to honorable combat or something and give them the chance to send the entire tower at me, but oh well.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Vampires (as well as liches and the like) are in a weird place in D&D because culturally we see Vampires as free-willed, if normally selfish creatures that can either embrace what they are and become little sociopathic cannibals or try to fight what they are and become sadboy martyrs.

In D&D though when you become a vampire your evil switch gets turned on and you become an rear end in a top hat automatically.

The game tries to have its cake and eat it too (and I mean, fair enough, vampires with agency are way more interesting than human-adjacent monsters that automatically become cackling villains the second you turn them).

If you believe that vampires have some agency and can at least choose to be better - as Astarion apparently has - then it is still at least nominally morally better to release them because some of them might choose to be murderers and some might choose to be heroes and it's not really your place to decide for them.

If you accept that almost all of them are just automatically going to be cartoon badguys in the same way that birds fly and fish swim, then you're basically just unleashing mutant super monsters on the world.

I think 'vampires have free will and their circumstances make them likely to choose and justify their evil' is much more interesting than, 'vampires are compelled to twirl their mustaches as part of their curse' but I don't make the rules.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Also the game very much precursors your decision on the whole vampire thing by showing both examples on-your-face beforehand as you approach the scene.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D&D has notoriously had a longrunning issue with Always Alignment, directly related to the problems with the concept of codifying personal values as "Alignments." Alignment is both the laziest and least interesting way to treat morality or agency in a setting and having designated Always Evil entries was always a sign of hack writing.

Even in Tolkien's work, having Always Evil races was a weakness of his worldbuilding and he was deeply conflicted about its implications once he had time to reflect.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mendrian posted:

Vampires (as well as liches and the like) are in a weird place in D&D because culturally we see Vampires as free-willed, if normally selfish creatures that can either embrace what they are and become little sociopathic cannibals or try to fight what they are and become sadboy martyrs.

In D&D though when you become a vampire your evil switch gets turned on and you become an rear end in a top hat automatically.

The game tries to have its cake and eat it too (and I mean, fair enough, vampires with agency are way more interesting than human-adjacent monsters that automatically become cackling villains the second you turn them).

If you believe that vampires have some agency and can at least choose to be better - as Astarion apparently has - then it is still at least nominally morally better to release them because some of them might choose to be murderers and some might choose to be heroes and it's not really your place to decide for them.

If you accept that almost all of them are just automatically going to be cartoon badguys in the same way that birds fly and fish swim, then you're basically just unleashing mutant super monsters on the world.

I think 'vampires have free will and their circumstances make them likely to choose and justify their evil' is much more interesting than, 'vampires are compelled to twirl their mustaches as part of their curse' but I don't make the rules.

I thought the game was suggesting vampire spawn don't necessarily get the Evil switch turned inherently the way full Vampires do, but instead do evil because they are the helpless thralls of evil vampires.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
One of Astarion's first conversations about being a vampire and the bits you get of Cazador's backstory make it clear that vampires have very strong motivations to be huge bastards. A vampire who isn't a selfish paranoiac would basically destroy the entire system, so they keep their spawn on a tight leash and beat them until they learn to be one.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Like a lot of vampire fiction, it is a metaphor for the cycle of abuse yes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think the problem with vampires/spawn being allowed out and about in the world too is even if they have good intentions by their very nature they need a blood diet to live. And Astarion makes it quite clear that dining on animal blood is far less satisfying than human(elf etc) blood.

How many in the long run could resist the lure of preying on other people to satisfy those urges?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Runa posted:

D&D has notoriously had a longrunning issue with Always Alignment, directly related to the problems with the concept of codifying personal values as "Alignments." Alignment is both the laziest and least interesting way to treat morality or agency in a setting and having designated Always Evil entries was always a sign of hack writing.

Even in Tolkien's work, having Always Evil races was a weakness of his worldbuilding and he was deeply conflicted about its implications once he had time to reflect.

I'm glad they deemphasized it but I still think it would have been useful for players to have (alignment) next to the gods name. For example I totally forgot that Talos was chaotic evil. :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ginette Reno posted:

I think the problem with vampires/spawn being allowed out and about in the world too is even if they have good intentions by their very nature they need a blood diet to live. And Astarion makes it quite clear that dining on animal blood is far less satisfying than human(elf etc) blood.

How many in the long run could resist the lure of preying on other people to satisfy those urges?

Buddy this setting has no shortage of monsterfuckers. There's the dude with his dragonborn husband, there's the drow lady who wants to be bitten, there's evidence that at least some druids will just cheerfully turn into animals to bone down, and so on. A vampire spawn could straight up just go down to Sharess' Caress and say "I'm a vampire spawn" and they would consensually have all the blood they could possibly drink, plus some spending money on top of that

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Buddy this setting has no shortage of monsterfuckers. There's the dude with his dragonborn husband, there's the drow lady who wants to be bitten, there's evidence that at least some druids will just cheerfully turn into animals to bone down, and so on. A vampire spawn could straight up just go down to Sharess' Caress and say "I'm a vampire spawn" and they would consensually have all the blood they could possibly drink, plus some spending money on top of that

One of the weirdest and funniest banters in the game is Wyll using his first trip to the docks in a while to bring up his dad's collection of mermaid erotic fiction and quoting it from memory. The entire forgotten realms flies a freak flag.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'd expect no less from a setting that sprung fully-formed from Ed Greenwood's hornybrain, quite frankly.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

One of the weirdest and funniest banters in the game is Wyll using his first trip to the docks in a while to bring up his dad's collection of mermaid erotic fiction and quoting it from memory. The entire forgotten realms flies a freak flag.

shart remarks on his good taste if you have her there too

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

mycot posted:

I really pity the Dragonborn who don't look look like dragons and are instead the Goomba from the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie

I kind of like the snake looking dragonborns like that one in Act 3 who was working for the hag

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's also made clear that, for the thousands of spawn who were kept in cages for their whole unlike, it's a terrible existence of unending misery. Ending them all is a mercy kill especially since we know the afterlife exists and it's probably hella better than living off random animals on the underdark.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's perfect.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Morrow posted:

It's also made clear that, for the thousands of spawn who were kept in cages for their whole unlike, it's a terrible existence of unending misery. Ending them all is a mercy kill especially since we know the afterlife exists and it's probably hella better than living off random animals on the underdark.

do vampires get to go to the afterlife?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

:five:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Saraiguma posted:

do vampires get to go to the afterlife?

I definitely sent Cazador to hell

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
All these deep and interesting questions and y'all ignore the most important ones: Is Larian surreptitiously adding more incense to the Gauntlet in patches and hotfixes? I say yes, my full analysis coming soon

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

grack posted:

All these deep and interesting questions and y'all ignore the most important ones: Is Larian surreptitiously adding more incense to the Gauntlet in patches and hotfixes? I say yes, my full analysis coming soon

If you sell all of the incense in the Gauntlet it is worth approximately 60,000GP.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Saraiguma posted:

shart remarks on his good taste if you have her there too

She gives feedback to the BDSM priest while he's beating you with a mace, which was something I missed my first couple rounds through.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

That was the moment I vowed to marry her

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

mycot posted:

My hornless Dragonborn Vengeance paladin looks like Kermit the Frog when he emotes and a I love him.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I'm shocked well the default dark urge model animates.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Runa posted:

Alignment is a legacy of when D&D was a wargame and your alignment was what team you're on. You can see this in some of the really weird baggage of early editions like alignment languages, which are special secret languages that are spoken by everyone of a particular alignment and instantly forgotten if you change to a different alignment.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thuryl posted:

Alignment is a legacy of when D&D was a wargame and your alignment was what team you're on. You can see this in some of the really weird baggage of early editions like alignment languages, which are special secret languages that are spoken by everyone of a particular alignment and instantly forgotten if you change to a different alignment.

lmao

that does explain Alignment languages. the explanation doesn't stop it from being dumb as hell but now I understand the thought processes behind it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

22 Eargesplitten posted:

She gives feedback to the BDSM priest while he's beating you with a mace, which was something I missed my first couple rounds through.

Yeah I just did this for the first time and I was gonna romance gale this run but, gently caress, now I have to romance shadowheart again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's been a recent breakthrough in Honor Mode speedruns where instead of slowly killing Ketheric with an invis poition and Level 1 Witch Bolt you send a 300kg Shadowheart in owlbear form from the top rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnndQrM7Zi4&t=587s

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Runa posted:

Oh fair enough

If you start as a cleric and then multi class into paladins the game will actually give you dialogue options labeled as ‘paladin of Selune’ or whatever, I did it on my first run.

I assume it’s mostly just relabeling cleric dialogue, but I’m not entirely sure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There's been a recent breakthrough in Honor Mode speedruns where instead of slowly killing Ketheric with an invis poition and Level 1 Witch Bolt you send a 300kg Shadowheart in owlbear form from the top rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnndQrM7Zi4&t=587s

I regret not thinking of doing this to Grym on the playthrough where I had a Moon Druid.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lore question:
Why does Gale set up a telescope while camping indoors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:
Why does Gale set up a telescope while camping indoors?

Are you RP'ing as Ciri?