Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I promise this is a genuine, if probably theoretical question: what mechanism would the UN have to remove or counteract the Security Council veto? Either temporarily or permanently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kagrenak posted:

An enforcement of the ICJ ruling would absolutely have to come from the security council. See article 94 of the UN charter:

https://legal.un.org/repertory/art94.shtml

Exactly, it has to be enforced by the UNSC, and the member-states of the UNSC do not have the power to veto the enforcement of ICJ rulings.

This is a legal limit of the veto power explicitly reserved for cases of genocide and crimes against humanity. It does not apply to the crime of aggression.

Kagrenak posted:

It is untrue that the US (or any of the other permanent members) cannot veto UNSC actions related to enforcing an ICJ ruling. They can and they have.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_v._United_States

This is for the crime of aggression which the veto power is not limited for. I was mistaken in the other post about the extent of the limit.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 26, 2024

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

I promise this is a genuine, if probably theoretical question: what mechanism would the UN have to remove or counteract the Security Council veto? Either temporarily or permanently?

On normal resolutions? Nothing. By design any veto from the UNSC is absolute. The enforcement mechanism wouldn't be a resolution though, so theoretically the anti-genocide side of the world has a lot more leverage than usual.

If I understand all this correctly, of course.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
At the very least it should counter some of the excuses countries have been using to block BDS actions against Israel. Hopefully

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

It is untrue that the US (or any of the other permanent members) cannot veto UNSC actions related to enforcing an ICJ ruling. They can and they have.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_v._United_States

This was in response to a final judgement as well, not just a provisional ruling.

quote:

This is a legal limit of the veto power explicitly reserved for cases of genocide and crimes against humanity. It does not apply to the crime of aggression.

Do you have a source for this actually being litigated? All I can find relating to this is discussion about something like that being adopted by some international law professors in the late 2010s. There doesn't seem to be any carve out in the charter.

E: a draft non binding code of conduct was proposed in 2015 (A/70/621-S/2015/978) but never even adopted

Neurolimal posted:

On normal resolutions? Nothing. By design any veto from the UNSC is absolute. The enforcement mechanism wouldn't be a resolution though, so theoretically the anti-genocide side of the world has a lot more leverage than usual.

Everything I can find, from the text of the charter and from the ICJ website as well as the Nicaragua case seems to indicate that the recourse to the UNSC comes in the form of a petition for a resolution.

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 26, 2024

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

So there's no way to reform the system? Or for the parties opposing the US's judgements here, i.e. Literally Everyone, to overturn a blatantly undemocratic decision? Because that seems like a pretty foundational problem.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Kagrenak posted:

E: a draft non binding code of conduct was proposed in 2015 (A/70/621-S/2015/978) but never even adopted.

My mistake then, sorry

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Council of Europe signatories (so, most of Europe including the UK) have legal obligations not to sell arms to countries at risk of violating international law, and the highest possible authority has just said that Israel is sufficiently at risk to be tried for genocide. That makes the ECHR another non-UN vehicle of pressure against 'em.

https://x.com/jon_trickett/status/1750865451041575421?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So there's no way to reform the system? Or for the parties opposing the US's judgements here, i.e. Literally Everyone, to overturn a blatantly undemocratic decision? Because that seems like a pretty foundational problem.

This was very much intentional.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_members_of_the_United_Nations_Security_Council posted:

The permanent members were all Allies in World War II (and the victors of that war), and are the five states with the first and most nuclear weapons

They were making the new world order, and the most powerful allied countries in the world wanted to make sure it stayed that way. They wouldn't have signed on without their power being written in stone. Also, "we have nukes" is already a defacto veto for most issues.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

If you could get rid of the veto somehow the veto-holding powers would just withdraw from the UN. The veto exists as a recognition that those powers can't practically have such decisions imposed on them anyway.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think it would also be important to consider what the override means, are you saying that the UN can force the US to donate troops and equipment to enforce its decisions (as far as I know the UN peace keeping force has no standing component) or are you saying that the other UN parties can intervene and the US will stand by and watch?

I think if there's the appetite for direct intervention among the other major members (EU, China, Russia...) you would see rumblings already.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Atlantic re-upped this article right before the Court ruled the statements were incitement lol

https://x.com/TheAtlantic/status/1750832228873990385?s=20

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016
Whether or not the UN Security Council will enforce any conditions on Israel, the President of the United States, Joe Biden, is now actively providing military equipment to a state conducting a genocide, as recognized by the International Court of Justice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

National Parks posted:

Whether or not the UN Security Council will enforce any conditions on Israel, the President of the United States, Joe Biden, is now actively providing military equipment to a state conducting a genocide, as recognized by the International Court of Justice.

This isn't true. The ICJ hasn't determined that they are conducting genocide. That won't be determined for years, likely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

National Parks posted:

Correction - a state that can plausibly be accused of conducting a genocide. This is important because even that low threshold is enough to make arms sales to Israel (and quite a few other forms of aid and support) illegal as poo poo for most signatories to international human rights laws.

Genocide is a severe enough crime that even being reasonably suspected of it is supposed to close a bunch of doors.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

I know a lot of people were expecting the court to rule differently, but countries secretly love this poo poo even if/when they publicly oppose the court’s decision.

It allows them to use the court as a scapegoat, and when said countries choose to comply with it they can just say it’s out of their hands, how can they ignore a court’s decision? Not saying the latter part will happen here too (especially re: the US), but it’s definitely something that is used to do something they secretly want to do but cannot really come out and say because of their voters or something.

E.g., many European politicians were ‘happy’ when their country was convicted for failing to provide minimum standard living conditions and mental health access for mentally insane individuals who had committed serious crimes. That is not a strong campaign point to run on especially in times of inflation, but if a court forces them, that gives them a way out.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

KillHour posted:

This isn't true. The ICJ hasn't determined that they are conducting genocide. That won't be determined for years, likely.

Oh my bad you're right let me amend my statement.

Whether or not the UN Security Council will enforce any conditions on Israel, the President of the United States, Joe Biden, is now actively providing military equipment to a state ordered to refrain from acts under the Genocide convention, prevent and punish the direct and public incitement to genocide, as recognized by the International Court of Justice.

A bit wordier but I want to do my part to stop misinformation.

We will have to wait a few years until Israel has completed its genocide (personal opinion) before we can determine if the phrase "a state conducting a genocide, as recognized by the International Court of Justice." Is acurate or not.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Provisionally determined to be commiting genocide

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://x.com/AJEnglish/status/1750926578152788426?s=20

Wow, that's really alarming. I would be normally be skeptical since it's Israel making the claim, but considering that UNRWA already terminated the contracts, it seems like a very credible claim. Here's the full story with more information: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/26/unrwa-probes-employees-over-suspected-involvement-in-october-7-attacks

E: I'm just talking about that first tweet. I'm not twitter-saavy enough to isolate it here without that second one...

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 26, 2024

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Kalit posted:

Wow, that's really alarming. I would be normally be skeptical since it's Israel making the claim, but considering that UNRWA already terminated the contracts, it seems like a very credible claim. Here's the full story with more information: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/26/unrwa-probes-employees-over-suspected-involvement-in-october-7-attacks

E: I'm just talking about that first tweet. I'm not twitter-saavy enough to isolate it here without that second one...

Given the timing of the accusation and the entity making the accusation, I’m gonna provisionally declare that the claim is hogwash even if the UN terminated their contracts.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Kalit posted:

It's actually pretty Interesting which tweet you chose to highlight out of the pair.

National Parks fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 26, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

National Parks posted:

It's actually pretty Interesting which tweet you chose to highlight out of pair.

I mean, I guess it's kind of weird that Mansour is implying that the ICJ did find Israel guilty of committing genocide when they explicitly didn't make a ruling on that aspect.

Anyways, to give an answer to your....question? thought? insinuation? I honestly cannot tell, but I've made a few posts about the ICJ ruling in the Middle East Thread already, so I didn't feel like I needed to simply repeat my overall thoughts ITT.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalit posted:

This was based on intelligence provided by Israel, so it’s pretty fair to say it’s bullshit, especially given the timing.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Kalit posted:

I mean, I guess it's kind of weird that Mansour is implying that the ICJ did find Israel guilty of committing genocide when they explicitly didn't make a ruling on that aspect.

Where do you get this from?

The ICJ did order Israel to take all measures within its power to prevent acts of genocide. Considering this is against Gaza, that is historic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Could the ICJ have done more? I have been confused as to the scope of their powers. The ICC does the actual trials, right?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

rkd_ posted:

Where do you get this from?

The ICJ did order Israel to take all measures within its power to prevent acts of genocide. Considering this is against Gaza, that is historic.

Assuming that verbiage in the tweet is correct, he specifically said that the ICJ ordered Israel to "stop" genocide, not "prevent" it. Maybe this is a bad assumption on my part, but I don't use the word "stop" for something that hasn't already started occurring.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Kalit posted:

Anyways, to give an answer to your....question? thought? insinuation? I honestly cannot tell, but I've made a few posts about the ICJ ruling in the Middle East Thread already, so I didn't feel like I needed to simply repeat my overall thoughts ITT.

Oh that's interesting too.

Is your position is that people are misrepresenting the ICJ ruling and Israel is innocent till proven guilty, but youre also concerned UNRWA is guilty of supporting attacks on october 7th because they suspended some employees for investigation based on random allegations from Israel?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

National Parks fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 26, 2024

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Kalit posted:

Assuming that verbiage in the tweet is correct, he specifically said that the ICJ ordered Israel to "stop" genocide, not "prevent" it. Maybe this is a bad assumption on my part, but I don't use the word "stop" for something that hasn't already started occurring.

The court ruled provisionally that there is enough evidence to substantiate the claim that Israel's conduct has the appearance of genocide and that the case against them can proceed. Being told they have to take all measures to prevent their conduct from constituting genocide is being told to stop their actions that have given rise to this appearance. You pedantic boob.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Could the ICJ have done more? I have been confused as to the scope of their powers. The ICC does the actual trials, right?
Yeah - they could have demanded a ceasefire, or even a complete end to Israel's campaign (which is what South Africa wanted, and what they did for Russia in 2022). This vague ruling is more in keeping with their usual MO though, as far as I can tell it's pretty similar to their provisional ruling on Gambia vs Myanmar.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

National Parks posted:

Oh that's interesting too.

Is your position is that people are misrepresenting the ICJ verdict and Israel is innocent till proven guilty, but youre also concerned UNRWA is guilty of supporting attacks on october 7th because they suspended some employees for investigation based on random allegations from Israel?

Why are you being so weird? It feels like you're accusing me of being...something? But, TBH, I have no idea.

Anyways, my post history is public, you can go through it and see that I've clearly stated that Israel is committing genocide a number of times.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The court ruled provisionally that there is enough evidence to substantiate the claim that Israel's conduct has the appearance of genocide and that the case against them can proceed. Being told they have to take all measures to prevent their conduct from constituting genocide is being told to stop their actions that have given rise to this appearance. You pedantic boob.

Pedantry is the bread and butter of D&D. It's why I post here.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 26, 2024

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Kalit posted:

Why are you being so weird? It feels like you're accusing me of being...something? But, TBH, I have no idea.

Anyways, my post history is public, you can go through it and see that I've clearly stated that Israel is committing genocide a number of times.

All right I'll leave it there, thanks!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

not a value-add posted:

What happens if Israel doesn’t comply with any of the measures? It seems like the genocidal rhetoric part of that will be another slam dunk case since Ben-Gvir immediately started posting childish and violent tweets after the news broke.

I wanna ask a maybe-more-precise version of this:

Can/will Israel's failure to comply with the measures be used as evidence that they are committing genocide? Particularly: Would failure to comply with the order constitute evidence for genocidal intent?

I read the order and all of the "declarations" (the judge's comments) and my overall sense is that the judges seem at least somewhat skeptical that the statements presented by South Africa suffice to definitively prove genocidal intent on the part of the Israelis. None of the declarations seem to call into question the claim that Israeli acts, if motivated by genocidal intent, are acts of genocide. The obvious implication is that if intent cannot be established, even horrific war crimes cannot be officially classified as genocidal acts. It seems as though only an unambiguous official order laying out explicit plans for extermination of a people would satisfy all of the judges. Not every judge issued a comment or declaration, so it's hard to know how many of them have reservations there, but at any rate the composition of the court will change before this is over so there's no point in trying to guess the number of judges who are shaky on this.

I'm asking because it seems like Israel's most promising line of defense is: "Yes we did all these war crimes (which you ICJ judges don't have jurisdiction over) but social media posts and interviews are not sufficient to establish genocidal intent and we're going to give you a very selective list of official documents where we order our soldiers to bring love and peace to Palestine."

I'm no expert in international law, but it seems as though that defense might actually work. I don't think the ICJ has any power to compel parties to hand over evidence, and they have no way to verify that evidence handed over is complete. It seems unlikely that Israel would ever turn over internal documents that do demonstrate genocidal intent (even though they certainly exist). Just to be clear, I'm as convinced as most everyone else here that Israel is doing a genocide, but the way they interpret the relevant treaties seems to indicate that the criteria for genocidal intent are extremely strict.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Palestinians will always win this conflict because they are willing to return, civilians are immediately willing to return to devastated parts of North Gaza to rebuild, in places that will probably get carpet bombed again in the next few weeks, whereas settler Israelis are afraid to return to lightly damaged areas where they might at some point be under attacked by bottle rockets.

Pissant settler scum.

Cowardly whiny Karens who thrive by reporting those who support resistance to colonialism to their employers/governments.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://x.com/AkbarSAhmed/status/1750994264937652469?s=20

Yes, yes, the US will just veto it, but hopefully dragging them in public to stand alone on the world stage defending Israel will burn through their public goodwill even faster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
bleak lol that the US's response to Israel being officially put on trial for genocide is to defund refugee services in Palestine:

https://x.com/robbiegramer/status/1750895411563213272?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

bleak lol that the US's response to Israel being officially put on trial for genocide is to defund refugee services in Palestine:

https://x.com/robbiegramer/status/1750895411563213272?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

This is like when you forget your wife’s birthday until you’re driving home after work and desperately praying that some takeout from Culver’s can be seen as a romantic meal.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Pookah posted:

Palestinians will always win this conflict because they are willing to return, civilians are immediately willing to return to devastated parts of North Gaza to rebuild, in places that will probably get carpet bombed again in the next few weeks, whereas settler Israelis are afraid to return to lightly damaged areas where they might at some point be under attacked by bottle rockets.

Pissant settler scum.

Cowardly whiny Karens who thrive by reporting those who support resistance to colonialism to their employers/governments.

Said by a person who has never been under rocket fire, I'm sure.

Not comparing the plight of people who live near Gaza to those who live inside it, since it is obviously incomparable.
But being under rocket threat and around the memory of a massacre in your town is not something anyone can or should shrug off. Gazans have no choice.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The “intelligence” this decision was based on was provided to the United States by Israel after they “interrogated captured militants”, so take that as you will.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Even if true, 12 out of 30,000 employees is absolutely insignificant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ummel posted:

Even if true, 12 out of 30,000 employees is absolutely insignificant.

Yeah it's a very long road to hoe to get from 0.04% of the organization being involved to the organization being institutionally complicit or captured. Any excuse though.