Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For reference the average age of US troops in Iraq was 33, but due to the natural age skew, over 70% killed were in their 20s. The olds were mostly in senior positions or support roles in safe regions, not kicking in doors or manning dangerous outposts.

I'm not sure you can conclude anything interesting from that. Take a look at the US demographic pyramid and then at the Ukrainian "pyramid". You'll immediately understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

This is an interesting point. So no one else has to replicate the effort, I calculated the median birth year and it is 1984.

Man, that's my birth year. Would be crazy to think 40 year old me would likely be conscripted if I was Ukrainian.

What would worry me the most about that (besides the dying part) is knowing what your average 40 year old's health and fitness routine looks like. I'd do OK shlubbing heavy gear around, not a whole lot of faith the guy next to me wasn't a typical middle aged blob who'd get me killed.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Man, that's my birth year. Would be crazy to think 40 year old me would likely be conscripted if I was Ukrainian.

What would worry me the most about that (besides the dying part) is knowing what your average 40 year old's health and fitness routine looks like. I'd do OK shlubbing heavy gear around, not a whole lot of faith the guy next to me wasn't a typical middle aged blob who'd get me killed.

Man, thats real fuckin' sobering.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I don't know if I missed someone posting this in relation to the Bradley vs. tank fight the other day, but I randomly came across this while wandering the youtube algorithm. It's a video about the Armata from 10 months ago that, in passing, describes exactly what the Bradley is said to have done in that engagement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opSlCGLGQ4&t=3521s

Edit - everyone else might have known this already, but I got the sense the other day that people were theorycrafting how the Bradley came to win the fight, so apologies if this is not edifying for anyone.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 27, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think there was a big dustup about how lazerpig was wrong about the engine's history.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah Lazerpig is a clown

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
He may have gotten the bit about the engine wrong but the rest of the video is generally right.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah Lazerpig is a clown

His whole bit is being an angry, drunken clown who talks about tanks. There's a good chance he deliberately misstated the engine's history to drive engagement.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He may have gotten the bit about the engine wrong but the rest of the video is generally right.

It's not even particularly clear that he's wrong about the engine. Not clear he's right about it either, but boy did that video trigger some copelords so more power to him.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mllaneza posted:

His whole bit is being an angry, drunken clown who talks about tanks. There's a good chance he deliberately misstated the engine's history to drive engagement.

For a drunk clown talking about tanks i have gin and a mirror... gave up on the lad last year. :ughh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's something amusing about the fact that people keep saying he got totally discredited because he may (or may not) have said a load of bollocks about the Armata's engine, but nobody seems to challenge the video's larger point that the Armata is bullshit vaporware crap. Internet discourse at its finest.

It's like watching a concussed, roid raging version of the historiographical process

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 27, 2024

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Armata is so much of vaporware that I am confused as to why anyone would put together a whole video about particulars.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nah, because everyone has already said the Armata is vaporware crap. Saying the same thing in a drunk clown voice doesn’t add anything of value, especially if you get parts wrong.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ought ten posted:

Nah, because everyone has already said the Armata is vaporware crap. Saying the same thing in a drunk clown voice doesn’t add anything of value, especially if you get parts wrong.

Incorrect, saying it in a drunk clown voice is very amusing to listen to. He may or may not be right, but arghARBLRGRBLGHGRBLAHG is eternally enjoyable.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

There's something amusing about the fact that people keep saying he got totally discredited because he may (or may not) have said a load of bollocks about the Armata's engine, but nobody seems to challenge the video's larger point that the Armata is bullshit vaporware crap. Internet discourse at its finest.

It's like watching a concussed, roid raging version of the historiographical process

I have barely watched any lazerpig. I did watch all the way up to the part where he said it that "oh yeah, the thread thinks he's wrong about the engine", however. The person who posted the link maybe hasn't been reading 3 or 4 war/ukraine threads every day for the last couple years, so I tried to give some low effort context. I'm not sure if that makes what is happening here "...roid raging version..." of a process.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
tried watching a lazerpig video that was recommended by the algorithm after some perun videos. going in blind i got about two seconds worth of him talking and noped out. if being obnoxious is part of his bit he does it exceedingly well

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
The thing is my idea of how the Bradley won that recent fight is shaped by what people said, some of which could have been shaped by that video in the first place, so it might not have been prescient at all. The fight might have been won some other way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The problem is when someone's wrong about something you know about, you really can't trust them with things you don't know about.

Also, bring right on a thing, imo, doesn't matter- everyone shoves out tons of opinions on an internet, they're bound to be right, what, in my opinion distinguishes people is the actual process to get to those opinions, and not how sick the dunks are on the youtube video. Lazerpig is, for what it's worth, writing some of the most algorithmically friendly youtube stuff out there- just go hard in with your sick dunks, be as 'clever' as possible.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Regarding YouTubers and Russia/Ukraine coverage:

Other than Perun, who would people recommend? I honestly like Lazerpigs style because I'm the lowest common denominator. Is there anyone else who mixes good info with a less serious presentation?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dirt5o8 posted:

Other than Perun, who would people recommend? I honestly like Lazerpigs style because I'm the lowest common denominator. Is there anyone else who mixes good info with a less serious presentation?

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcfqP0PtWDcGKIHGTTbVlpTyUZNL8gjnH&si=OHQps69KNUfmabEX

This series by Sarcasmitron was surprisingly good.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Lazerpig is hilarious! Thank you for bringing it to my attention, can't wait to binge watch a bunch of his stuff

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LRADIKAL posted:

I have barely watched any lazerpig. I did watch all the way up to the part where he said it that "oh yeah, the thread thinks he's wrong about the engine", however. The person who posted the link maybe hasn't been reading 3 or 4 war/ukraine threads every day for the last couple years, so I tried to give some low effort context. I'm not sure if that makes what is happening here "...roid raging version..." of a process.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't referring to you personally, just the general arguments over the video when it came out. I should have been clearer and I apologize.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Combat Veteran Reacts might be interesting for some as well.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I agree with this sentiment there are some other things about the video I have problems with but I have seen a fair amount of criticism at his video which deliberately misinterprets what his says and it makes the whole conversation worse.

OddObserver posted:

Armata is so much of vaporware that I am confused as to why anyone would put together a whole video about particulars.

Yeah, a lot of stink kicked up about something that will never exist outside of prototypes.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I like the idea that he may have purposely said something incorrect about the engine just to drive anger engagement.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If you're okay with 4-hour boat waifu-themed combat histories of USS Enterprise, Animarchy History is a good watch. He's Lazerpig-adjacent and collaborates with him, so some of you can just skip to the next post now. He also does a fun "historian gets very mad at CoD" series which I enjoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUF-BeokL34

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I dunno which engine thing Lazerpig got incorrect, I vaguely recall some comment about engine failures in India that I didn't think make sense in context.

Dirt5o8 posted:

I think Dylan Burns and Vaush occasionally have Russia content and generally have good takes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would really like to know what he got incorrect about the engine, considering that he spent a quarter of the video talking about it. Armata is such a hypothetical item anyway, it's not like we can go and cross reference with the one in someone's driveway. Looks like most of the information about it is coming from Russian MOD directly

What other vaporware got hyped to the moon and back? I remember talks about The Terminator vehicle before it faded into nothingness

And while we're on the subject, the brand new tanks Russia is managing to churn out, are they equipped with all modern optics and electronics?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvCL15fsphE

New Perun on current state of the war - he did touch on some interesting facts that I didn't know before hand. I knew the Ukrainian government has been pushing Black Sea grain shipping along rather successfully, but I didn't know they had a special insurance scheme setup.

Good watch as always.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

I would really like to know what he got incorrect about the engine, considering that he spent a quarter of the video talking about it. Armata is such a hypothetical item anyway, it's not like we can go and cross reference with the one in someone's driveway. Looks like most of the information about it is coming from Russian MOD directly

What other vaporware got hyped to the moon and back? I remember talks about The Terminator vehicle before it faded into nothingness

And while we're on the subject, the brand new tanks Russia is managing to churn out, are they equipped with all modern optics and electronics?

The SU-57, the Kinzel to name two. Oh, and their nuclear cruise missile.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUp-qGkQvNo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nitrox posted:

The T-14 engine was a departure from the earlier V-12 engines the Russians put in everything, it's an X-engine with the pistons in a crosswise configuration. This engine was based on an old nazi design by Daimler or Maybach or something that the Soviets captured during WW2.

Laserpig's argument is that the T-14 engine is basically the same thing as that nazi engine. Arguing that it's a 80 year old dead-end design. But the Russians obviously continued development of the thing and it's not the exact same engine anymore. (How much or little the engine is different and improved upon the German design I couldn't tell you.)

Some Soviet tank enjoyer youtuber then made a reaction video to Laserpig's, and pointed out many things, this being one of them. Laserpig reacted to that video in turn, and went on a big rant, was correct about some things, conceded some other points but basically doubled down on the engine thing.

At that point, I really didn't care anymore so I stopped following this particular saga but that's basically it, i think.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
how dare anyone watch a goofy youtuber who got a fact wrong

I only watch serious programs that never get the facts wrong, like lindybeige

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I wouldn't take his word as gospel but I find Lazerpig entertaining.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Paladinus posted:

Ukraine specifically chose to mobilise mostly older men. It is not because they've already run out of younger men. People under 27 literally can't be mobilised against their will, and the recent controversial bill proposes to lower that age limit to 25.

I was thinking more that the lack of volunteers means that holding further mobilization in the back hand isn’t going to help produce viable manpower to do more than stalemate

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was thinking more that the lack of volunteers means that holding further mobilization in the back hand isn’t going to help produce viable manpower to do more than stalemate

if 0 additional manpower also isn't gonna do much more than stalemate, it probably makes sense to at least try from the military's perspective

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Incorrect, saying it in a drunk clown voice is very amusing to listen to. He may or may not be right, but arghARBLRGRBLGHGRBLAHG is eternally enjoyable.

He was right about the A-10 and T-34 being chronically over-rated because of their Coolness factor and brought fanboys of those two to a frothing rage, so I'm here for it. I find him entertaining and interesting but he does get fairly obnoxious at times too with his bits.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Plenty of people went into service voluntarily, especially in the first months of the war. In fact, recruitment offices were so overwhelmed with people, that you basically show up, sign in and then return when called for an interview. Some of those callbacks took several weeks. And from that pool of volunteers, those with prior military service got the first call. That's from my observations in the Lviv region. I imagine it's not the case anymore, but I'm not there to report

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Freakazoid_ posted:

how dare anyone watch a goofy youtuber who got a fact wrong

I only watch serious programs that never get the facts wrong, like lindybeige

The other thing that soured people on Pig was that Nicolas Moran weighed into the debate, to which Pig responded with a drunken, vitriolic rant in the comments. He later apologized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The need for new bodies doesn't have to do with the fact that the Ukrainians don't have enough bodies to man the trenches right now. It is more to do with the fact that many formations have been on continuous deployment since the start of the war or very shortly after it. The brigades that were stood up for their summer offensives have also largely been chewed up and need a refit. A large-scale rotation needs to occur to combat burnout and exhaustion. Getting 200k bodies to rotate onto static front-line territorial defence units, pull back personnel for new training, and integrate new equipment could be an effective multiplier.