Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I forgot the Warlock reveal was starting and for some reason EHG didn't link this in their news feed on Steam

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/77219-last-epoch-warlock-week-day-1-the-power-of-curses/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If the Diablo 4 season had turned out good I would’ve said Last Epoch was releasing at a poor time but Diablo is in such sorry condition they might’ve gotten really lucky with the timing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It seems like everyone has abandoned Diablo IV. Even the people I saw who were insisting Diablo IV was going to be the best ARPG of all time before it released, are no longer playing it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah it's really wide open for Last Epoch. Let's hope they stick the landing.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

As soon as I saw that icy veins had the warlock reveal I knew it would be a mess but three articles in and I still don't know whether you manually cast curses or just spec skills to apply them

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Here is an infographic showing off the passive tree stuff (courtesy of Marvel Heroes legend Tony Bing):
https://www.reddit.com/gallery/1abl6ck

And imgur albums of tooltips:
Passive Tree - https://imgur.com/a/9B2QgoJ
Ghostflame Skill Tree - https://imgur.com/a/X7InqDB

I don't think we will get to see the warlock stuff in a reasonable format until maxroll or lastepochtools get approval from EHG to put it on their build planners closer to release. The Youtuber/Icy Veins guy who got picked to do the reveal fumbled it hard. He wanted to spread everything over a week's worth of 10 minute youtube videos and is scrambling to release stuff faster after receiving backlash.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All I got is that it's a dot class (maybe?).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

gnoma posted:

...courtesy of Marvel Heroes legend Tony Bing...

Cripes! That's a name i had totally forgotten. :)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Really excited to dive into this in Feb

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

queeb posted:

Really excited to dive into this in Feb

:same:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Clarste posted:

All I got is that it's a dot class (maybe?).

Dot class that wants to stack as many as it can to multiply damage and (as far as I can tell) can spec into applying them with a bunch of different spells including a bolt, a channeled cone AOE and a point blank defensive AOE. Also has passives that make this stuff synergise with minions.

I think we'd learn more if someone just made a couple of different builds with it and showcased them and explained how they work. Hopefully that will be one of the videos

I like the idea of curses being applied by other effects. Pressing a button just to apply a dot can feel kind of insubstantial

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tarnop posted:

Dot class that wants to stack as many as it can to multiply damage and (as far as I can tell) can spec into applying them with a bunch of different spells including a bolt, a channeled cone AOE and a point blank defensive AOE. Also has passives that make this stuff synergise with minions.

That sounds pretty fun

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah I think it will be pretty cool. I hope there's something that consumes or accelerates the DOTs for burst damage, that sort of thing is usually pretty satisfying

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hell yeah this is exactly the kinda poo poo i was hoping for from the warlock class. getting flashbacks to my various extremely jank "curse necro" builds back in the day.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

For Summon Bone Golem, if I convert it into a Pyre Golem, does it still have Bone Shatter or is that changed to a fire attack?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
The Pyre Golem node's only two effects are that it converts the golem's melee attack to fire and adds Infernal Aura, so it should still have a physical Bone Shatter.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

if I remember correctly there was some website for exploring the skill trees and such and using it I examined the Pyre Golem and it didn't have Bone Shatter attached, and Bone Shatter is part of the "Bone Golem" creature rather than added by a node anywhere so I think it has Infernal Aura instead of Bone Shatter.

Not that I ever noticed Bone Shatter going off when I had a bone golem so I can't say based on experince.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Maxroll has the Warlock preview up in passive/skill tree format. https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/news/warlock-wrap-up-falconer-teaser

The same post also has the passive tree for Falconer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Somehow I never expected Falconer to have a bunch of melee stuff.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
I'm sitting here and can only think of trying to create some sort of bleed based infinite explosion not quite auto bomber now. Warlock has some fun passives.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I am excited for Falconry. I don't think I've done a throw build so this might be my chance.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Dreylad posted:

I am excited for Falconry. I don't think I've done a throw build so this might be my chance.

Same; been playing Necro since I picked this game up and Falconer looks like an interesting take on a hybrid minion playstyle.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think it’s pretty cool that Falconer gets support for 2-handed weapons, with a passive node just for spears.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Frankly, I'm gonna do that just because spears are cool.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Since "combat feel" was this game's biggest remaining weak spot in my eyes I was very happy to see this dev response on Reddit yesterday re: changes for 1.0 in that department:

the game director's Reddit account posted:

- There's a bug in online on live that is making it so that screen-shake is not playing - fixed for 1.0.
- we're overhauling nearly every player animation as we've invested time into new rigs that help them move better - I'd say that many of these have meatier swings
- we're slightly increasing hit VFX
- we're increasing the hit sounds volume in the sound mix
- we're taking time to align on-hit VFX and damage numbers to play at the exact time that the swing makes contact - some of these are misaligned on live
- we've taken the stun VFX and pushed it up a bit above enemies heads as sometimes it was getting lost in some monsters actual models

This is for 1.0. We have plans to make it so that receiving hits feel slightly more impactful and also have plans to make melee-range flinches (we currently have them for enemies moving).

Three weeks to go, I'm off from DM duties that night, and I've even gotten over the fact that the campaign almost certainly won't be finished for 1.0 - let's hope the servers are up to the job (they will not be).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
combat feel is what turned me off of this one since nothing felt, well, impactful, might have to give it a shot again. like there's no real satisfying crunch to it so it felt like a lot of light-handed slapping

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I think I was lucky that because I'm a pet-class guy, I built skeleton sacrifice explodomancer as my first character and that is a build that has substantial-feeling hits

Those changes sound great though. During the interview with Ghazzy, Mike from EHG mentioned that for the weekly streams he plays the live build of the game and week by week he feels more and more disappointed that he has to go back to that from the working build in the studio. That's another very good sign imo

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Clarste posted:

Frankly, I'm gonna do that just because spears are cool.

They very much are!
I am not biased in saying this in any way.

<.<

Sloober posted:

combat feel is what turned me off of this one since nothing felt, well, impactful, might have to give it a shot again. like there's no real satisfying crunch to it so it felt like a lot of light-handed slapping

I have never understood this concept or complaint dating back to any game, ever. Combat feel (for me) has nothing to do with the with a crunch or splat or the sound or visuals, it's 100% about the actual feeling of play and execution. Unless there is literally negative / inaccurate feedback about what my attacks are doing, if the gameplay is good the combat feel is also good for me. People had similar complaints about other games (Secret World was the #1 most confusing for me) and it never made any sense.

Still though, my personal perception aside, I'm glad the changes are coming for those who need them to be satisfied. The actual execution of the gameplay has been rock-solid for a while now and this will only help, in those cases. If improving the audiovisual feedback is what it takes to get more eyes on one of the best survivors in this self-destructing genre (RIP to Marvel Heroes, you were a real one) then that's great.

Speaking of MH, extremely glad to see / hear from TonyBing again. There's a name I hadn't thought of in a long time...

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I dunno what it is but I recently started playing a runemaster and the combat feel of this game is definitely the worst out of the current big arpgs, Poe and d4

D4 is bad for other reasons

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like Last Epoch the best out of all diablo-likes right now, because it has interesting ability interactions, unlike practically every other game in the genre (since most of them just copy Diablo 2 instead), but unlike PoE Last Epoch actually allows you to respec in a reasonably painless way so that I am able to actually experiment with the interesting ability interactions.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ariamaki posted:

They very much are!
I am not biased in saying this in any way.

<.<

I have never understood this concept or complaint dating back to any game, ever. Combat feel (for me) has nothing to do with the with a crunch or splat or the sound or visuals, it's 100% about the actual feeling of play and execution. Unless there is literally negative / inaccurate feedback about what my attacks are doing, if the gameplay is good the combat feel is also good for me. People had similar complaints about other games (Secret World was the #1 most confusing for me) and it never made any sense.

Still though, my personal perception aside, I'm glad the changes are coming for those who need them to be satisfied. The actual execution of the gameplay has been rock-solid for a while now and this will only help, in those cases. If improving the audiovisual feedback is what it takes to get more eyes on one of the best survivors in this self-destructing genre (RIP to Marvel Heroes, you were a real one) then that's great.

Speaking of MH, extremely glad to see / hear from TonyBing again. There's a name I hadn't thought of in a long time...

the mechanics could be solid as hell but if it feels like "click button, monsters ragdoll to ground" its going to be boring to play to some people. mechanics alone are not enough to keep my interest if it comes down to treating it like a well made excel spreadsheet, if i want that, i have a half dozen well made spreadsheets i made for work i can look at

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sounds more like a disagreement with the importance of animation feedback than a lack of understanding?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

queeb posted:

I dunno what it is but I recently started playing a runemaster and the combat feel of this game is definitely the worst out of the current big arpgs, Poe and d4

D4 is bad for other reasons

It does "feel the worst" out of all of them, but I still like it the best because the build options are interesting and the loot filter is great.
So sick of PoE's GaaS bloat and feeling like I have to trade. D4 is just poorly designed across the board and forever will be. Blizzard does production well; visual polish, sound design, "feel" of the gameplay but mechanically just awful and therefore not actually worth playing.

Have they said anything about the not-lag when changing zones online yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'll say the game feel isn't great, but it's not bad at all. like, many skills don't feel/sound punchy/weighty, but that's a sfx problem, the game plays fine

they said they're reworking the network entirely but it's not dropping for everyone until 1.0, which is a bit annoying

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Have they said anything about the not-lag when changing zones online yet?

"We're fixing it soon(tm), pinky promise."

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Jack Trades posted:

"We're fixing it soon(tm), pinky promise."

The same post as the aforementioned combat feel changes actually included some discussion of the fixes being worked on / launching with 1.0 for this.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've been playing a bit over the last couple days, having put a couple hundred hours into the game over the past few years. It's annoying that so many bow attacks still have bugged hit detection and you can literally stand there spamming them at an enemy and it simply passes through them repeatedly. Sometimes aiming at the feet of the enemy model works a little better but it's still a constant thing that happens every few packs of mobs. Other bow skills are fine though, or things like the "detonation arrow now slightly seeks targets" node completely fixes the issue for that skill. It's been like this since I started playing years ago and I'm surprised it has not been fixed yet.

I still have never found a class that I absolutely love though. The only 100 I have was a lich when there was a bugged curse interaction allowing you to do more damage than intended but aside from that I'm still trying to find something I would want to grind endgame content with.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Suprfli6 posted:

I've been playing a bit over the last couple days, having put a couple hundred hours into the game over the past few years. It's annoying that so many bow attacks still have bugged hit detection and you can literally stand there spamming them at an enemy and it simply passes through them repeatedly. Sometimes aiming at the feet of the enemy model works a little better but it's still a constant thing that happens every few packs of mobs. Other bow skills are fine though, or things like the "detonation arrow now slightly seeks targets" node completely fixes the issue for that skill. It's been like this since I started playing years ago and I'm surprised it has not been fixed yet.

might be true in general but flurry and det. arrow missing more than usual is a specific bug they introduced in the mid Dec patch. will be fixed by 1.0 they say.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Went back to my rogue for some levelling. Got three uniques! None of them for a rogue. Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001
What is the goon discord for Last Epoch? The link in the OP is expired.