Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/27-29/52

Archie 5/19-21/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 12/19/76

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Zereth posted:

Yeah from our perspective that investigation is missing a lot of things, like "establishing the cause of death"

We have a cause of death, what we lack is a weapon.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's hearsay, that's not an autopsy of the body.
We do also lack the weapon though, you are correct.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Samovar posted:

^^^ what the heck even IS pollock?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXaT9J5RX5A&t=1384s

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And here's your emergency deposit for tonight. OOW falls victim the current prevailing conditions on the homefront.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 11, 1936)

Peanuts (January 28, 1977)

Crankshaft

I feel more for that fictional dog than any of the people in this stupid strip.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner, presenting what may be the first great grotesque of the strip. (September 23-25, 1935)

Hairless Joe. This is what I was waiting for. And he's beautiful.

Thimble Theater (August 30, 1940)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ardeem posted:

We have a cause of death, what we lack is a weapon.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's hearsay, that's not an autopsy of the body.
We do also lack the weapon though, you are correct.
:hmmyes:
And where's the body right now? My hypothetical money is on "Ming II isn't even dead".

And even if he is, was he stabbed in the front, where Flash was, or the back? The Inquisitor hasn't brought any of that kind of thing up she's going off one eyewitness account who didn't actually see the death.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 27, 2024

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Adventures of Racism Aimed At Children

A Nightmare For Many People I Know

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Weembles posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bret_Blevins

Bret Belvins is a real guy with a lot of comic book credits. I think he might just be getting on in years or bad at producing at a daily comic strip rate.

Blevins used to do New Mutants at Marvel, and was really good. Looking up his Facebook page, looks like he's had some kind of wrist injury he's getting over. Could also be that he has to catch up to the schedule and is rushing.

This is what he's capable of, so Phantom is a big let down.

That''s apparently from Sept. 2023.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The difference between giving a poo poo and phoning it in for a paycheck

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 25-29, 2005)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, give the Phantom to Holbrook. Make the Phantom a furry dog or whatever, it'll look way better than what it does now.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Zereth posted:

:hmmyes:
And where's the body right now? My hypothetical money is on "Ming II isn't even dead".

And even if he is, was he stabbed in the front, where Flash was, or the back? The Inquisitor hasn't brought any of that kind of thing up she's going off one eyewitness account who didn't actually see the death.
Well, see, she's a real big fan of his dad, so I wonder about the evidence she's presented to Ming over the years. Mind, so far Flash has basically just been arrested, this isn't properly his trial as far as I can tell, but while I agree that from an outside POV it seems like Flash has motive to stab Ming II and you should probably take a careful look at the guy found standing over the body immediately post-murder, you're going to want, like, actual forensics too. Tell me about the blood spatter patterns on Flash's clothes!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I want CSI: Flash, goddammit. Give me BRIAN BLESSED in a lab coat squinting at a bloody steak knife.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Hell yeah

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Out of the way you swine, a cartoonist is coming.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what the hell i missed the 26th??

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 22-23, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

riderchop fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 27, 2024

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(11/24/1993)

(11/25/1993)

Ziggy

(8/7/1971)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 18, 1961)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News brought to you by a woman who very recently cleaned all of her ex's stuff out of her house.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

My first edit of the new thread, :toot:

Sorry/not sorry.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Honestly, yeah. I have Taylor Swift/Travis Kelce fatigue. Everything about their relationship feels very Lonesome Rhodes to me, and I'm sick of seeing it everywhere.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Honestly, yeah. I have Taylor Swift/Travis Kelce fatigue. Everything about their relationship feels very Lonesome Rhodes to me, and I'm sick of seeing it everywhere.

I don't think the cartoon is making any comment on Swift. The reference works with any extremely famous singer. The joke is the cartoonist whistfully imagining a world where another art-form than singing is so rewarded. Like maybe cartooning maybe.
Though to be honest, 60 years ago Lil' Abner was so successful it got Al Capp on the cover of Time Magazine and an acquaintance with the president of the United States. Cartoonists! You've had your lot!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/26/04

Stephen Collins is political this week.

Brenda Starr 7/7-9/52

Smokey Stover 6/7/59

Everyday Movies 3/9/37

"I always feel that I know him so well -- I've dreamed of him so much."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/4-6/43

Hippy's confederate looks like one of those sharp-nosed dudes from Our Boarding House in profile.

Closer Than We Think! 6/7/59

"Slidewalks" were a regular feature of science fiction of the era. Robert Heinlein's "The Roads Must Roll" envisioned a system of multiple belts, each one going at slightly higher speeds, so you could easily step from one to the other and be whizzing along at highway speeds once you reached the fastest belt.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 28, 2024

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

PetraCore posted:

Making a prediction now - Azura the Witch-Queen is originally a villain in Flash Gordon, and Schkade seems to be sticking to a lot of traditional characterizations with a modern spin and original story (Dale is more emotionally intelligent than Flash but still a practical, capable woman who can generally take care of herself and balances out his impulsiveness, Ming has a useless poo poo-stirring son named Ming II, etc). I'm no expert in Flash Gordon stuff, I've mostly skimmed the vintage strip that has shown up in here. Now, the story starting after the alliance has re-taken Mongo means stuff like Aura having to be convinced to help got skipped over, so similarly it's possible Azura genuinely is just a neutral or allied party, but there's been a lot of focus on her in the art and witchcraft sure seems like the kind of thing you could do to either stab someone with an invisible lackey or charm Flash into stabbing Ming II without remembering doing it or intending to do it, especially if Flash is already a hot-head pissed off at Junior even if I doubt he's the kind of guy to just stab people for being unarmed assholes.

The main question I have is if she convinced Junior she'd ally with him just to lure him in to die and throw everything into chaos, or if she just took advantage of an unfolding situation to see what would happen. Didn't he mention something about paying a debt before he died?

The new strip made a point with shifting timelines that movie Flash is a quarterback but this Flash, like the original strip, plays polo. He said as much during the reception. It's not rewriting established points. The witch is the only party guest who isn’t an old ally. She will still be an opponent and is the most likely culprit.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm liking the one kid not involved in the psychic battle in Wallace.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/5/59

All I can hear is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ft60BtJ5sY&t=17s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/5/59

"Slidewalks" were a regular feature of science fiction of the era. Robert Heinlein's "The Roads Must Roll" envisioned a system of multiple belts, each one going at slightly higher speeds, so you could easily step from one to the other and be whizzing along at highway speeds once you reached the fastest belt.
That sounds incredible stupid and impractical. How many belts would that require? To make that smooth and a least very mildly accident safe the speed difference would have to be quite small and surely smaller at higher speeds? Also moving standing up at almost highway speeds with nothing to hold on to (I assume there wouldn't be guardrails between the belts if you were supposed to be able to step between them) seems very unpleasant. Not even going to mention what happens if a single person falls or an animal or junk ends up on the belts. I'm probably spending more seconds thinking about it than the bonehead(s) who dreamt up the mess did.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm finding it charming (and entirely coincidental) that the Val story abou the two handsome young men who are opposites (one serious and one very very gay and greek) and become instant best friends for the rest of their lives when they meet is using rainbow title lettering.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Poil posted:

That sounds incredible stupid and impractical. How many belts would that require? To make that smooth and a least very mildly accident safe the speed difference would have to be quite small and surely smaller at higher speeds? Also moving standing up at almost highway speeds with nothing to hold on to (I assume there wouldn't be guardrails between the belts if you were supposed to be able to step between them) seems very unpleasant. Not even going to mention what happens if a single person falls or an animal or junk ends up on the belts. I'm probably spending more seconds thinking about it than the bonehead(s) who dreamt up the mess did.

If only there was a way to read the actual short story and find out if the author considered any of that. Ah well, I guess we'll never know. Better just call him a bonehead and be done with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, June 21-July 1, 1983
SUMMER 1983: You Brought A Dragon Into My Apartment?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Looking up the references in the strip, I see that at one time there were serious plans to put a pedestrian conveyor belt in midtown Manhattan: https://www.6sqft.com/goodyear-tires-wanted-to-create-a-giant-conveyer-belt-to-take-people-between-grand-central-and-times-square/

Can't find anything about a belt at the Houston Coliseum, though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

NEXT: Meat-touching?!

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

We are blessed; The baby didn't talk.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Also, as of four hours ago, there's now a deep-dive Youtube video on Dr. Hormone. Interesting timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

AARON BURR