Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

He's also in The Seeds of Death, from Troughton's era, so watch that too :)

Though my personal favorite role of Towb's is from the movie Patton, he plays the Army cook who gets chewed out by Patton when he arrives to take over II Corps in North Africa ("Oh hell, General, sir, I'm a cook!")

I will always remember him for his very brief appearance in The Day Today. And as a variety of goons in the beeb's Philip Marlowe adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Just finished up The Power of the Daleks and it lived up to the hype and now might be my favorite Dalek story. It's fantastic as a post regeneration story and the plot is a slow burn that still provides an increasing sense of tension as it goes on. The Daleks are more threatening than usual in this and showing their manipulative side is cool. The political conflict in the colony integrates well with the story and never feels like a distraction from the Daleks stuff.

Troughton is one of my favorite Doctors and it's impressive how quickly he made the role his own.

The animation on the reconstruction is serviceable and even if it looks like a very low budget episode of Archer I'm glad it's available to watch in any capacity.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Power of the Daleks feels like the vibe they were going for with Victory of the Daleks but then they got distracted with lionising Churchill.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I mostly remember that episode for the not very good Dalek redesign that was quickly backpedaled afterwards.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

LionArcher posted:

It's a drat shame because I freaking love that score. 12's goodbye speech being a combination of his theme and The Shepard's Boy is so drat good. It was Murry ending on a crazy good run of scores. (Though of course his new theme is great too.)

The closest we'll get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aykUeojNoY

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Into Capaldi now and god I love Twelve. My problem with the Danny-centric season 8 is that Moffat had a story he wanted to tell with a Clara who is in a committed relationship and kinda speedran to get to that point and the two of them never really felt like they were that into each other.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Warthur posted:

The production of Invasion of Time was a shitshow because they had a bad budget shortfall (in part because the economy collapsed, so the money they'd been assigned to make the show didn't stretch as far) and Graham Williams and Anthony Read, the script editor at the time, had to scramble to lash together a script they could make with spare parts. ("David Agnew", the person the story's attributed to, is a pseudonym.)

There's one other time during Baker's run that they had to get the script editor to come up with an entirely new script on the fly and put it out under the David Agnew name, but you're a ways off from that and it panned out much better. :)

Am I remembering right that that budget shortfall was at least partly because Hinchcliffe, knowing full well he was going to be fired shortly because of noises being made by Mary Whitehouse, decided to blow as much money on his last season as he felt like?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Up to Colony in Space during my Pertwee rewatch, and although it could be argued that like most six-parters it could have been cut down to four, I have a soft spot for this story. I think it's because it's one of those where I read the Target novelization before I saw it. I got a bunch of DW Target novelizations one year for Christmas; my parents just knew to grab any book that had "Doctor Who" on it, so I got that one (aka Doctor Who and the Doomsday Weapon) along with the novelizations of The War Games, Invasion of the Dinosaurs, The Ribos Operation, and Castrovalva. I think I also got one of the Target DW quiz books by Nigel Robinson.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I never read any of the novelisations, but I have memories of my parents buying me educational illustrated books with the Fourth Doctor exploring and explaining stuff. I also remember that not helping me trying to work out why there were two Doctor Whos, one with blonde hair and one with a long scarf, and what that meant.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

:love: :love: :love:

Those two themes got me through a lot of poo poo back then

One hell of a bird :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

:love: :love: :love:

Those two themes got me through a lot of poo poo back then

It's also notable I think that when they do the actual regeneration, it's purely the Shepherd's Boy playing. This is basically the crossover from one motif for Twelve to another, the one representing the initial morally grey Doctor who could take action but wasn't sure if he was a good man, to the man who went through hell and came out the other side and learned from that to be kind. Just that. Just... kind.

:cry:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Barry Foster posted:

God, what an episode and what a sequence. Just amazing watching that for the first time and every time since then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a note about that, I'm one of the Magic players in the thread and got the Doctor Who decks at Xmas: The card for Heaven Sent is one of my favourite designs.

https://scryfall.com/card/who/134/heaven-sent

It's very elegant mechanically: You investigate twice (searching the castle to find the answer to the mystery) and then do 1 damage to everyone (hitting the wall) and if you knock another player out with that (breaking the wall) you draw a bunch of cards (discovering the truth) otherwise you can start the whole thing over.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Power of the Daleks feels like the vibe they were going for with Victory of the Daleks but then they got distracted with lionising Churchill.

Victory was definitely inspired by Power.

Power is right next to Genesis in my favorite classic Dalek stories.

Gaz-L posted:

It's also notable I think that when they do the actual regeneration, it's purely the Shepherd's Boy playing. This is basically the crossover from one motif for Twelve to another, the one representing the initial morally grey Doctor who could take action but wasn't sure if he was a good man, to the man who went through hell and came out the other side and learned from that to be kind. Just that. Just... kind.

:cry:

Might also be because "The Shepherd's Boy" is arguably the best piece of music ever composed for the show. Really it's a three-way fight between the theme (which is genuinely amazing how they got it something that perfect and enduring immediately), "I Am the Doctor", and "The Shepherd's Boy".

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 27, 2024

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't like the reuse of it in the regeneration scene, it feels like it cheapens it a bit. Maybe that's exacerbated by the fact that I don't much like the regeneration scene itself, which is exacerbated by me not being fond of the episode which preceded it.Then again, it's tied into the Twelfth Doctor's anxiety about regeneration ("How long can I keep doing this? Burning the old me to make a new one?") so I guess it's valid

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Totally disagree about the regeneration. I don't hate Twice Upon A Time as much as most people in the thread, but I'll admit it's a very piecemeal story and makes some mis-steps with the First Doctor, however I'll stand by the final few minutes any day. My biggest problem there is just that I think you could cut about 30 seconds from the final monologue and it'd be tighter, very much a 'kill your darlings' kind of thing (I think cutting it at 'always TRY to be nice, but never fail to be KIND' would be far better than the sort of rambling bit that comes after)

I actually adore the moment in the scene before it when the Doctor asks Bill and Nardole why he can't just stop, why does he have to go on, and instead of some trite 'because the world needs you' or 'we'd miss you', they just acknowledge him and say it's OK if he makes that choice, that he's allowed to feel overwhelmed and burned out. And it leads to the wonderful little wry turn of "I suppose one more lifetime wouldn't kill anyone... except me..."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've only watched 2 episodes of the start of Season 16 of Baker Who and already you can tell that Douglas Adams was involved in this in some way. It's not overbearing humor but it is there.

Pretty different change as well, first episode is starting off with a big quest and giving the doctor a companion.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I forgive Twice Upon A Time a lot because of the circumstances under which it was made, so having belittled it I feel compelled to list some things I like about it. Accentuate the positive and all that.

quote:

MARK GATISS: Is one of you a doctor?
THE DOCTOR: You trying to be funny?
The Doctor absent mindedly noting Mark Gatiss is from World War One and the crestfallen way he responds "what do you mean... one?"

The First Doctor getting a preview of his upcoming adventures, with the Twelfth protesting "they cut out all the jokes!"

The Christmas Truce was used in an episode and the Doctor didn't loving cause it. This was a great antidote to the implication before and after that the Doctor is the sole reason evil doesn't prevail in the universe.

"The universe generally fails to be a fairy tale... that's where we come in."

One last self-referential callback with the phrase "the long way round" referring now to the longest way yet.

One last tasteful callback to the classic series with the First Doctor saying "here we go"

Oh and the silly monologue about how only children can hear the Doctor's true name is apparently something Peter Capaldi came up with, which is nice

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 27, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The fairy tale line has some echoes of the Robin Hood story, another episode that's a bit spotty but I love the ending of. The scene between Robin and the Doctor where their similarities are spelled out is just kind of perfectly aimed at me. "History is a bore... Stories can make us fly" "Remember, Doctor... I'm just as real as you are..."

EDIT: I sort of guessed that the longer speech was at the very least indulging the outgoing performer in some way, and Capaldi might be the best actor to ever take the role so you can't say he doesn't deserve it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Robot of Sherwood, it's very silly but it's also having just a delightful time.

Sheriff: Nottingham is not enough.
Clara: It isn't?
Sheriff: After this... Derby!
Clara: ....right.
Sheriff: Then Lincoln! And after Lincoln....
Clara: Worksop?
Sheriff: THE WORLD! :byodood:

Plus it slips Patrick Troughton in there!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Doctor Who inspires a lot of fan art, and I gotta say, some of it is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e69VGBkwHfw

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was a fan of Maid Marian And Her Merry Men as a kid so I got a little thrill at the Worksop shoutout

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was the one with Tony Robinson as the Sheriff, right? If I remember right, the running joke was that the peasants basically used mud for EVERYTHING including food, and there was a sight gag that forever stuck with me of the main cast passing a food shack called "MudDonalds" which cracked me up because I am very, very easily amused.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Gonna be real honest and say that I just do not like K-9 at all. Either as a companion or a plot device. He has all these abilities that just happen to be perfect for getting the Doctor out of situations. He's also rather boring looking and doesn't ever do anything beyond "Stun the enemies" or "Stun the enemies".

Just not a fan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was remarkable how my memories of K9 from being a kid watching him clashed with how he was used in the show when I rewatched it as an adult. I remembered him doing more, being more involved, and having more variety but you can really see how much the show struggled to make use of the prop or to write it effectively into scripts. Still made for a lovely bit of nostalgia when he showed up in School Reunion though :shobon:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

God, what an episode and what a sequence. Just amazing watching that for the first time and every time since then.
You can show somebody who's never seen a single episode of Doctor Who Heaven Sent and it still just plays out as a loving great short film that you'll still be thinking about days later.

My ex-wife never gave a gently caress about Doctor Who (She was a Torchwood gal for a minute, though) before that, but that not only made her a fan, Twelve became her Doctor.

While it's only in my top three favorites to watch myself, it's almost certainly the finest episode of Doctor Who ever made.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I was a fan of Maid Marian And Her Merry Men as a kid so I got a little thrill at the Worksop shoutout

Loved that show. It wasn't until much later in life I realized what the hell the Crystal Maze episode was all about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
BF really needs to stop telling stories about Indigenous Americans.

This new First Doctor story has Vicki, who's fully aware that Custer is a racist who's working on the displacement of the local people in a land grab, passionately argue that the Doctor should change history to prevent his death at Little Bighorn. And, like, I'm not an expert on foreign history -- my school dumped all its history units for farming classes -- so maybe I'm completely off base here but that seems uhhh bad and dumb.

Also the story is entirely about the white dudes. Half Yellow Face turns up and has one line, and the role's uncredited but was probably played by a white guy.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Loved that show. It wasn't until much later in life I realized what the hell the Crystal Maze episode was all about.

When (or where) did you watch it? The two shows were being shown around the same time, so anyone who’d have watched MM in the UK would have been aware of The Crystal Maze.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Idle thought: John Simm Master didn't regenerate into Missy onscreen, and when Sacha Dhawan Master turned up all of the Missy character development was completely reset. I've seen people propose before that the order goes Simm>Dhawan>Missy, and I wonder if Power Of The Doctor wasn't trying to hint at that. In Dark Water, Missy accused the Doctor of abandoning her and leaving her for dead, which didn't exactly happen in The End Of Time or The Doctor Falls, but did happen in Power Of The Doctor.

Anyway, in local news, a nerd spent his evening pondering Doctor Who lore instead of doing the dishes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

I actually adore the moment in the scene before it when the Doctor asks Bill and Nardole why he can't just stop, why does he have to go on, and instead of some trite 'because the world needs you' or 'we'd miss you', they just acknowledge him and say it's OK if he makes that choice, that he's allowed to feel overwhelmed and burned out. And it leads to the wonderful little wry turn of "I suppose one more lifetime wouldn't kill anyone... except me..."

Which has now paid off a bit with the Giggle’s ending where the 14th Doctor finally admits he’s absolutely run ragged.

“It's like you're staggering along. Maybe that's why your old face came back. Maybe you're wearing yourself out.”

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

Gaz-L posted:

The fairy tale line has some echoes of the Robin Hood story, another episode that's a bit spotty but I love the ending of. The scene between Robin and the Doctor where their similarities are spelled out is just kind of perfectly aimed at me. "History is a bore... Stories can make us fly" "Remember, Doctor... I'm just as real as you are..."

There are better episodes in that season, but that last scene is one of my favourite parts from it. Such a fun way to add a spin on what's otherwise a fairly lightweight episode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hollismason posted:

Gonna be real honest and say that I just do not like K-9 at all. Either as a companion or a plot device. He has all these abilities that just happen to be perfect for getting the Doctor out of situations. He's also rather boring looking and doesn't ever do anything beyond "Stun the enemies" or "Stun the enemies".

Just not a fan.

You aren't the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqdrlZnOAg

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

This new First Doctor story has Vicki, who's fully aware that Custer is a racist..

Oh lawd, I almost picked this up yesterday as I was looking for something different and dig the cover art. BF is bad at American anything, and bad at racism, so let's maybe not mix the two? Lmao

Edit I guess I wasn't paying attention first time, re reading the description. They brought Vicki back as an older woman? Curious the circumstances there.

McGann fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 27, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

This new First Doctor story has Vicki, who's fully aware that Custer is a racist who's working on the displacement of the local people in a land grab, passionately argue that the Doctor should change history to prevent his death at Little Bighorn. And, like, I'm not an expert on foreign history -- my school dumped all its history units for farming classes -- so maybe I'm completely off base here but that seems uhhh bad and dumb.

Also the story is entirely about the white dudes. Half Yellow Face turns up and has one line, and the role's uncredited but was probably played by a white guy.

From what i remember of the very small bit of American history we covered at my English secondary school, Custer was not only a racist but an incompetent leader who got himself and his men killed by refusing equipment, ignoring intelligence and generally being poo poo, so I don't even know how the Doctor could save him short of bonking him on the head and dumping him somewhere away from the battle

Edit: McGann how can you say they're bad at American things, does Minuet in Hell mean nothing to you?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Edit: McGann how can you say they're bad at American things, does Minuet in Hell mean nothing to you?

I'm not McGann, but speaking of Minuet...

I was never that down on that story as a lot of others are, so take my read on it with a grain of salt, but the story of a popular religious demagogue running for the President on the basis of a right wing reform policy while also running a secret (child?) sex ring feels very modern. It's a stupid play, but the wild satirical mashup kind of works.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I'm not McGann, but speaking of Minuet...

I was never that down on that story as a lot of others are, so take my read on it with a grain of salt, but the story of a popular religious demagogue running for the President on the basis of a right wing reform policy while also running a secret (child?) sex ring feels very modern. It's a stupid play, but the wild satirical mashup kind of works.

Honestly, I completely forget about Minuet in hell until it's referenced in a joke 😂.

I've got a lot of housework ahead of me so for kicks, I'm going to do a re listen today. Probably been a decade.

If you don't see me follow up, send the police, ambulances, fire, anybody with a flashing light. I need help!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McGann posted:

Honestly, I completely forget about Minuet in hell until it's referenced in a joke 😂.

I've got a lot of housework ahead of me so for kicks, I'm going to do a re listen today. Probably been a decade.

If you don't see me follow up, send the police, ambulances, fire, anybody with a flashing light. I need help!

WHELL SAAAH, I DOOO DEE-CLARE, YOU ARE MAKING A TERRIBLE MAHSTAKE

Bad accents and amnesia, as far as the eye can see.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hey now, that's an authentic Malebolgian accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Just not a fan.

Hi, I'm the Doctor and I don't believe in guns, it's not my fault if my companion has a built in nose gun that solves half of my problems by shooting people