Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tired Moritz posted:

I spend cash on Royal Match :'(

Nothing wrong with spending money on a game you like, that's kind of how this whole thing works. But at least you didn't pestered to death and held back in playing before you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Weirdly i play a bunch of the terrible kind of freemium mobile games, but the ones I've spent the most money on are those that the money literally unlocks expansions or whatever - things like night of the full moon, where you pay $2 for the next character that you can then spend a few weeks completing.

What inevitably happens when I spend money (even $1) on a gacha/freemium game is that the act of spending that money reveals to my brain the money extraction mechanic works and I suddenly lose all interest in the game within a few days. Sort of like how the RMAH in Diablo 3 laid bare and ruined the way the loot mechanic worked.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

norp posted:

Weirdly i play a bunch of the terrible kind of freemium mobile games, but the ones I've spent the most money on are those that the money literally unlocks expansions or whatever - things like night of the full moon, where you pay $2 for the next character that you can then spend a few weeks completing.

What inevitably happens when I spend money (even $1) on a gacha/freemium game is that the act of spending that money reveals to my brain the money extraction mechanic works and I suddenly lose all interest in the game within a few days. Sort of like how the RMAH in Diablo 3 laid bare and ruined the way the loot mechanic worked.

:same:, I will spend a lot of money on freemium games but generally only if it will give me permanent bonuses or unlocks. I've spent AAA game money on various mobile games over the last month buts all getting rid of ads and large QOL improvements, no way would I spend cash on temporary buffs.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CuddleCryptid posted:

:same:, I will spend a lot of money on freemium games but generally only if it will give me permanent bonuses or unlocks. I've spent AAA game money on various mobile games over the last month buts all getting rid of ads and large QOL improvements, no way would I spend cash on temporary buffs.

I played way too much adventure communist a while back, and for as much as I liked it, the monetization was so absurd it was offensive. I remember thinking that I was willing to spend money on this game but there was nothing worth it. I'm not dropping $10 on a loving loot box in a 3 day long temporary event. And yet people do it.

I would've paid anything for no ads upgrade to that game. But instead they released a month long battle pass with a no ads upgrade attached. I bought it once, before I realized it was temporary, and basically gave up the game after it ran out. Then the devs had the gall to release an identical game with a different coat of paint.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I discovered Rocket League Sideswipe a couple months ago and wanted to spend a little money to show appreciation, but there doesn't seem to be an option to. How does this game make money? I don't recall paying for it when I installed, and it doesn't show me any ads.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

poonchasta posted:

I discovered Rocket League Sideswipe a couple months ago and wanted to spend a little money to show appreciation, but there doesn't seem to be an option to. How does this game make money? I don't recall paying for it when I installed, and it doesn't show me any ads.

Rocket League Sideswipe exists to draw more people into Rocket League, it's a loss leader. Actual automakers sponsors their tournaments and skins and poo poo.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

They also bypass cost and make the skill only cost 1. The auto runes are pretty busted. It is just that elf executioner is even more busted.

Worth noting that its normal parameters still apply if you use it directly, and if it is on cooldown when invoked, it will not override that. That can be useful for controlling certain skill procs.

For instance, right now I have Quick Shot, Throw Blades, Acrobatics and Evasion on my loadout, plus Ninjitsu with Auto:Dexterity on it (so it will proc any time a Dex-based skill procs). The first skill I use each turn also invokes Ninjitsu; the second one won't, since Ninjitsu is on cooldown.

Now, if I build up my Bravery and enter Burst mode, Ninjitsu switches to Summon Giant Toad. So I can fire a Quick Shot on my next turn and whammo, instant toad at a low cost. But that is not always desirable, so if I don't want a toad, what I can do is use Ninjitsu on a prior turn directly; that has a cooldown of 5. So then I enter Burst mode, Ninjitsu on cooldown becomes Toad on cooldown, and I can attack without summoning.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm trying to race toward auto:free to make fairy absolutely busted. Auto:Free makes an ability trigger if you use a free skill. Fairy has a unique free ability that gains 30% of its current shield. Fairy also has a passive that says max hp is added to the shield, so they start with a ton of shield.

Basically, you get the max integer shield while nuking the enemy.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Shwqa posted:

I'm trying to race toward auto:free to make fairy absolutely busted. Auto:Free makes an ability trigger if you use a free skill. Fairy has a unique free ability that gains 30% of its current shield. Fairy also has a passive that says max hp is added to the shield, so they start with a ton of shield.

Basically, you get the max integer shield while nuking the enemy.

That's how I run my ghost necromancers. Putting a summon on auto:combat and another on auto:free, then running with the +50% dual res free skill or spell shield. And I keep the possession unique skill and whatever nuke (hopefully with a quick rune) and its gotten me through quite a few runs. It's all just to avoid petrification because that's always the run ender for me.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Dawncaster has a new expansion for like $5. I'll take that any day over freemiuim nickel and diming.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Mortimer Knag posted:

That's how I run my ghost necromancers. Putting a summon on auto:combat and another on auto:free, then running with the +50% dual res free skill or spell shield. And I keep the possession unique skill and whatever nuke (hopefully with a quick rune) and its gotten me through quite a few runs. It's all just to avoid petrification because that's always the run ender for me.

Put some remaining protection on your armor and laugh off petrification

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Finally beat the Pride dungeon boss. It was a hopeless cause with her healing in five or six figures every few turns, until I got a Spirit Wolf summon to stick long enough for her to Mirror Shape it instead of my base form.

The rewards included a keystone that gives a random skill -99 uses every time you change floors. Gonna say that one's not going to get much use.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
How do you guys get started with a run in buriedbornes 2? I can never get the runes or skills I need before hitting the hard floors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bring books along or the contracts that let you craft those runes and skills and gear

bb chat is all over the place. is there a thread for it or is it just scattered everywhere?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Weird complaint probably but I liked in buriedbornes 1 how it gave my new people a random name. I don't like picking names and so I guess I'll have an endless collection of John Does

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I was having some fun with Bit Life Simulator, but that game is horrible about locking features behind multiple pay walls. I had about $10 in play credit so I put that towards the absurd $13 fee for no ads which made the game playable for me. There's so many extra things you can unlock in the game and they're each $5. I might pay for one of them, but probably not because I've moved on to Royal Match and probably won't go back to Bit Life for a while.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Jingleheimer posted:

I was having some fun with Bit Life Simulator, but that game is horrible about locking features behind multiple pay walls. I had about $10 in play credit so I put that towards the absurd $13 fee for no ads which made the game playable for me. There's so many extra things you can unlock in the game and they're each $5. I might pay for one of them, but probably not because I've moved on to Royal Match and probably won't go back to Bit Life for a while.

Join the lljk goon team in royal match once you unlock that, we need a couple more people to compete in team battles.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Sloth Socks posted:

Dawncaster has a new expansion for like $5. I'll take that any day over freemiuim nickel and diming.

Has it done anything to change the game feel? I've played a ton of it but it really does start to feel sloggy and samey

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't touch freemium games because I am extremely weak to that kind of bullshit, I had to uninstall Royal Match because I put 20 dollars into it over the course of a week. I actually subscribed to Egg Inc because I wanted to see Number Go Up. I'd be a whale if I weren't broke. All I can handle is Neko Atsume and Nonograms Katana.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

After the initial charge, Slay the Spire only costs the rest of your life.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

After the initial charge, Slay the Spire only costs the rest of your life.

It's also on Google play pass so you can get it for half price

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

victorious posted:

Join the lljk goon team in royal match once you unlock that, we need a couple more people to compete in team battles.

Joined. Thanks for reminding me about the goon team.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Haha, I had a hilarious boss battle with pride in buriedbornes 2. The boss is a massive hp tank with 4 hp stacks that copies all of your skills.

I was a fairy build who gained 30% of current shield every turn and then abilities that scale off shield. Pride could not do anything because they started with no shield.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
So you dig up the bones or what?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
No way! They best stay buried or there'll be heck to pay!!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Whelp the fairy build is dead. The elf executioner build is nerf and enemies have higher critical resistance now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TheDK posted:

So you dig up the bones or what?

There's no bones to dig up

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Whelp the fairy build is dead. The elf executioner build is nerf and enemies have higher critical resistance now.

Send like a change to make enemies have fewer hp attacks and more hp will make non executioner more viable

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Send like a change to make enemies have fewer hp attacks and more hp will make non executioner more viable

Surprisingly, those are from two different patches. Patch 1.08 was the player nerfs. And patch 1.09 was the enemy nerfs and bunch of bug fixes caused by 1.08. Both came out today.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Surprisingly, those are from two different patches. Patch 1.08 was the player nerfs. And patch 1.09 was the enemy nerfs and bunch of bug fixes caused by 1.08. Both came out today.

Auto: Patch

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

Good. I mean, not that I wasn't having fun critting and evading my way through Disaster dungeons, but a balance patch was both necessary and inevitable. There are still synergies that are brutal out there, waiting to be discovered.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

Good. I mean, not that I wasn't having fun critting and evading my way through Disaster dungeons, but a balance patch was both necessary and inevitable. There are still synergies that are brutal out there, waiting to be discovered.

I spoke too soon. Fairy can just switch their starting free skill with spell shield. Instead of 30% current shield gain, you get 25% and 10% shield amplifier (makes future shield gains better). It's still super easy to get the maximum shield integer, and the skills that scale off shield are low-level contracts.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

I spoke too soon. Fairy can just switch their starting free skill with spell shield. Instead of 30% current shield gain, you get 25% and 10% shield amplifier (makes future shield gains better). It's still super easy to get the maximum shield integer, and the skills that scale off shield are low-level contracts.

I just rolled through Pandemonium with a Fairy Valkyrie Pacifist, using Spell Shield, Shockwave, Eldritch Tentacles, Punisher (had to switch that in late because I got four no-Camp levels in a row) and the MVP, Ancient Shield.

Ancient Shield's base form gives you an additional 100% of your current shield on use, or gives you 100% of your shield as Strength and Dexterity for one combat in its burst form. Granted, a Fairy can't use Strength, but...

Final Blow is indeed nerfed, though.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Ohhhhh it's buriedbornes

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Yea I tried a fairy dark priest with multiple copies of ancient fire with different runes and spell shield. Seems unstoppable.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I like the monetization in Summoners War, because everything is so ridiculously expensive that it's completely not worth spending money.

And the game is also so ridiculously generous that I can't spend all the free crystals unless I'm buying tons of summons

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rapner posted:

I like the monetization in Summoners War, because everything is so ridiculously expensive that it's completely not worth spending money.

And the game is also so ridiculously generous that I can't spend all the free crystals unless I'm buying tons of summons

Some games are funny like that, just so overwhelmingly whale-baiting that they come back around to being normal again. Yeah that $120 item might make the game easier but no one sane is going to buy it so they have to balance the game around you not having it and still playing.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

I just rolled through Pandemonium with a Fairy Valkyrie Pacifist, using Spell Shield, Shockwave, Eldritch Tentacles, Punisher (had to switch that in late because I got four no-Camp levels in a row) and the MVP, Ancient Shield.

Ancient Shield's base form gives you an additional 100% of your current shield on use, or gives you 100% of your shield as Strength and Dexterity for one combat in its burst form. Granted, a Fairy can't use Strength, but...

Final Blow is indeed nerfed, though.

Yeah, I'm just rolling through the game as a fairy ancientmancer. I can double the number of floors of the challenge dungeons, and it is still easy.

Ancient fire is a cheap skill that scales only on shield. I put an auto rune on it that triggers on spell shield. Either auto:free, auto:piety, or auto:intelligence. Then I just changed all the equipment to give me just hp.

Fairy takes max hp and adds that to shield which double dips from +hp% and ×shield%.

Ancientmancer gives you all of your shields back if you use a burst skill. It is not really 5 it means if you lose your shield, you don't lose the fight.

Then I use the exile ring, which restores a skill use every floor. At higher floor counts, you don't get a lot of options to camp. It removes that lose condition.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
So, XCOM 2 isn't compatible with newer android OS, XCOM ew apparently doesn't work right anymore, and there's a new XCOM f2p out that's just pure gacha RPG trash. I asked about similar games once before in this thread and got a couple good suggestions but they didn't grab me as hard as xcom itself.

So I'll try again. Anyone know any good tactical squad games, paid or f2p?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Xcom 2 works fine for me on Android 14 :shrug:

But the answer to your question is Templar Battleforce