Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"No diploma? No problem! Navy again lowers requirements as it struggles to meet recruitment goals
The U.S. Navy is starting to enlist individuals who didn’t graduate from high school or get a GED, marking the second time in about a year that the service has opened the door to lower-performing recruits as it struggles to meet enlistment goals"

mlmp08 posted:

That’s just hailing back to the old world naval roots of impressing unemployed people into service. Sometimes regardless of nationality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFn4KGYNfV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've been browsing the new Turkish weapons replacement swapping imports for domestic. They uh all seem like upgrades.

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2024/01/24/turkey-inks-deal-to-replace-four-foreign-made-weapons-with-local-types/

Limited specifics available of course. The harpoon and torp analogues are there. Essm replacement not so much but you'd expect that.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

"No diploma? No problem! Navy again lowers requirements as it struggles to meet recruitment goals
The U.S. Navy is starting to enlist individuals who didn’t graduate from high school or get a GED, marking the second time in about a year that the service has opened the door to lower-performing recruits as it struggles to meet enlistment goals"

time to lower the recruitment age so the us military can secure a stable supply of enlisted serfs who will learn warfighting from an early age to retirement age

maybe open up paid commissions too while we're at it

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

:hai:

to say that the emancipation of humanity is inevitable is not to embrace determinism but rather that while i and my comrades draw breath we will carry out this task no matter what

its both they are the same thing and the best thing to do is to organize

the more people who organize more people faster, the faster all people will be free, nothing else matters because everything else will be a consequence of the organizations formed from that step all you have to do is that but more with more people, then the fascists and capitalists will attack and then they'll be destroyed
rationally, it's not worth spending a minute on anything besides organizing people together to get more people together
you don't need anything to start except people and time they'll get stuff or let you know stuff you need

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What are the chances that the US nuclear weapons maintenance has already been liberalized to the point that none of those weapons work anymore?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What are the chances that the US nuclear weapons maintenance has already been liberalized to the point that none of those weapons work anymore?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

high

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I’m thinking all that talk a year back about Russia’s nuclear weapons not working anymore might have been some serious projection

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I’m thinking all that talk a year back about Russia’s nuclear weapons not working anymore might have been some serious projection

absolutely

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It's always projection.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

DancingShade posted:

It's always projection.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

the subs might be the most reliable part of the trinity left since they hit the sweet spot of old enough to be from an era when US weapons sometimes worked but not so old they’ve turned to dust.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
WW3 is already over I have video proof https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxW_SoCbIhg

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

the droplet is a fearsome weapon of the trisolarans

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

the droplet is a fearsome weapon of the trisolarans

Yep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QYwGIdYm2w

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Goddamn

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Danann posted:

time to lower the recruitment age so the us military can secure a stable supply of enlisted serfs who will learn warfighting from an early age to retirement age

maybe open up paid commissions too while we're at it

The British Army still recruits 16yr olds!

Doesn't seem to be helping their numbers much, though.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
immediate demonstration of the individualism psychosis that is going to destroy americas capitalist and fascists

what is more expensive to field:

one navy seal who's dual wielding m4s f-16 pilot with an f16 and also a grenade launcher, huge muscles roided out megagenius

or

20 people with bolt action rifles, 10 tons of steel, 4 lathes and some shovels, any 20 people any rifles it doesn't matter

what is indisputably going to be stronger in a fight
what is going to be stronger over 24 hours, 1 month
how about 2, 4, 6 years
how about over 20 miles of forest, hills
multiply both sides by any size

what's gonna be better at defending

what is america spending 750bn a year on

to have a successful people's revolution in any nation on earth probably 5 years from now:
organize lots of people and arm them and prepare defenses and when the capitalists/fascists perceive a threat they'll attack, eventually it will end after concentrated artillery at a location with dirt defenses bc capitalists and fascists are both super disassociated they don't know what irl is

they'll lose because they just assume since they never saw it no one figured this stuff out like 100 years ago and they've lost all their institutional knowledge they're not able to keep from losing it they don't have any people able to fix it who can be listened to by the broken systems

people assume you can't learn anything useful from a book that you can't make up for with raw skill they only read books in school and pride themselves on how little they've had to learn about things
that's a mental shortcut for efficiency, not total value
it doesn't matter for war if someone doesn't read and use all their skill it's just a loss bc you only do one thing at once
the consequences and realities of war ignore dollars entirely ignore aesthetics entirely it doesn't matter people cannot remember this anymore they are all disassociated jfc they're gonna blow up the world

capitalism makes you retarded like pretending you are a king who is decided by god to rule over the peasantry does
it's the same style of cognitive illusions & hallucinations being expressed differently under different conditions

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Jan 27, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

The British Army still recruits 16yr olds!

Doesn't seem to be helping their numbers much, though.

Bring back press gangs and round up all the Friday night drunk lads / slags, stick them in leg irons and let them wake up hung over & chained to oars. Which the next generation frigates will be using in lieu of turbine power plants because its green energy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the big reason they were holding out on Sweden was about getting AESA radar upgrade kits, I assume they are going to reserve engineer them for their new fighter.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ahaha. Poor Lockheed Martin. Being bullied by that nasty Pentagon into fixed price contracts. Well no more! Number must go up. Really if anything they haven't been charging enough. Well that stops now.

We could also call this "bent over a barrel".

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2024/01/25/no-more-must-wins-defense-firms-growing-warier-of-fixed-price-deals/

WASHINGTON — Lockheed Martin chief executive Jim Taiclet offered a warning during a quarterly earnings call this week,

The government, he said, is putting too much risk on defense companies by flexing its muscle as the sole buyer of military hardware, and his firm is changing its approach.

“We don’t have any must-win programs with Lockheed Martin anymore,” Taiclet said.

Taiclet was one of several defense industry executives who this week aired their angst about the government’s contracting practices. Many were particularly concerned about fixed-price contracts. Under these agreements, meant to secure the least risk for taxpayers, companies pick up the bill when costs run higher than expected. Such cases can be disastrous for defense firms — like Boeing’s $7 billion in overruns on a $4.9 billion contract for the KC-46, an Air Force tanker.

Taiclet argued that, as the defense industry’s only customer in most cases, the Pentagon has enough sway to make its suppliers accept its terms.

“Some of the competitors feel that they’re must-win programs for them, [and] that they will take tremendous risk on costs and pricing,” he said, noting that was no longer the case at Lockheed Martin. Those risks combine to result in cost overruns and delays on major programs, he said.

Taiclet said the problem exists in both fixed-price and cost-plus contracts. But, during the same call, Lockheed chief financial officer Jay Malave noted the company is now seeing an “uptick” in cost-plus contracts, which could mean less risk.

A Pentagon spokesperson declined to comment for this story.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's funny to remember there was long ago a time when "war profiteer" was an at least distasteful thing to be openly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's funny to remember there was long ago a time when "war profiteer" was an at least distasteful thing to be openly.

i think the shaw play major barbara was about that but i was probably really high in the dorm when i read it so i might be mistaken

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

DancingShade posted:

WW3 is already over I have video proof
Nice graphics. I didn't know a sequel was in the works 👍

sound on
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s7y8yyOrtK1z0lvw3_720.mp4

Seems like U.S. diplomacy hasn't worked in the pacific.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEd4NFxl04
Nauru FM urges other Pacific countries to embrace one-China principle for common good

Lionel Aingimea, Nauru's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade posted:

One of the discussions I had with the foreign minister, of China's great assistance to the PIFs (Pacific Islands Forum). I think it will be strengthened much, much more with Nauru now being part of that of the one-China principal group. I think the other countries who have not yet recognized the one-China principle should also, that other Pacific countries, should also change allegiances and recognize the one-China policy because it will be for their advantage, and then you will have a whole PIFs united under the one-China principle.

Change for the better, change for the good, change for your development, change for economic future, change for the initiatives that China has instituted and initialize in other countries around the world. And one thing I have found with China is that they see you as an equal partner. They don't see you as a junior; they don't see you as a senior; they you as an equal partner. I've seen my treatment. I'm a foreign minister, but they treated exactly every single foreign minister from whether you're a big country, whether you're a small country, equally the same, absolutely no disparity. And that amazed me. But I guess that comes from a history of diplomacy that the Chinese people have got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax0dsfQt_sw

Lionel Aingimea, Nauru's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade posted:

One of the great things that China has is that it sees development partners as equal partners. China looks forward to assisting them with, so in these areas, we're looking at areas of fisheries. We are a small nation, land wise, but we are a big ocean nation with a very big EEZ (exclusive economic zone) that rivals the EEZs of other countries. And therefore, that's one area. One area of practical development also is a phosphate industry. [Cooperating with] China, especially with its global initiatives, we look forward to those practical benefits that will actually start happening on the island.

It will be my advice when I go back home to our President and to cabinet caucus. What negative thing can you say about the BRI? Nothing. It's absolutely a positive initiative. When we debated this issue of the One-China principle in parliament, I used the BRI as an example. I basically said, well, let's take this initiative that was launched ten years ago in China, the Belt and Road Initiative. And I gave this basically because it's historic, it comes from the silk road. I've always been an admirer of history and a student of history. And seeing what the silk road did to all the economies, all the countries along the road, and those were basically the cities.

Of course, the solar panels have a major economic impact. It will affect the prices of electricity and utilities back in Nauru. They will of course drop by the implementation of more solar panels and more green energy into Nauru. The ports will be a game changer. We will be equal to other countries in the pacific who have ports. Ships can easily come in, fishing vessels can come in like other countries have established canneries and and fish loining plants within that port area. We can do the same thing. Our fisheries people will be coming here shortly, and they are looking forward to establishing a fishing industry as soon as the port's done.

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 03:46 on Jan 28, 2024

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

DancingShade posted:

WW3 is already over I have video proof

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

sound on

I always have to shake my head at this kind of shameless marketing by Lockmart.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

sound on
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s7y8yyOrtK1z0lvw3_720.mp4

I take issue with the military accuracy of this, that independence class LCS appears to be seaworthy before it gets blown up.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Real hurthling! posted:

i think the shaw play major barbara was about that but i was probably really high in the dorm when i read it so i might be mistaken

It's about anticapitalist Methodists

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thread title is still future tense when its happening right now

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thread title is still future tense when its happening right now

Because the defeat occurs at the end of the war? moran

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
WW3 started in 2014. We are in the 2nd phase. Analogy to the spanish civil war phase.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Apopoka_/status/1751421969046577337?t=QvzOZ18Izs_CzE_i7IZzBQ&s=19

Lmfao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's a good thing history began yesterday, or I'd be extremely loving embarrassed

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It's a good thing history began yesterday, or I'd be extremely loving embarrassed

ooooh poo poo they went and got him pissed

megapost barrage incoming!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

At least we'll be able to reuse this title.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US isn't a ship focused military, so inability to acquire or produce ships isn't a big deal

The US isn't a fighter aircraft focused military, so inability to acquire or produce fighter aircraft isn't a big deal

The US isn't a soldier focused military, so inability to acquire or produce soldiers isn't a big deal

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
personally, if I was a American soldier I would be extremely worried if I thought we were not an "artillery focused military"

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Atrocious Joe posted:

The US isn't a ship focused military, so inability to acquire or produce ships isn't a big deal

The US isn't a fighter aircraft focused military, so inability to acquire or produce fighter aircraft isn't a big deal

The US isn't a soldier focused military, so inability to acquire or produce soldiers isn't a big deal

profit cope and phone induced superadhd are all that is keeping capitalism from wrecking the world in a death war

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Retvrn to elan focused military doctrine

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
WW3 A.K.A. the "Big L War".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

dead gay comedy forums posted:

ooooh poo poo they went and got him pissed

megapost barrage incoming!

I don't think it merits a mega post, do you? I mean, "...our emphasis has always been on close air support surgical strikes with larger missiles..."

"Always" really means "since 1991", and as only 7% of aerial munitions used were "surgical strikes", and a smaller amount of those "larger missiles", the whole thing falls apart.

So, I would guess the author first became aware of the US military probably around 2003, with "Shock and Awe" - A PR campaign that played off memories of a Desert Storm, itself largely a PR campaign. If you're a millennial, how the military was talked about as a young child was in terms of Desert Storm, Allied Force, where AirPower alone was supposed to defeat Serbia, and then OIF.

But, that was always kinda bullshit. The US military was able to use Cold War platforms, munitions, and a Cold War sized military with Cold War stockpiles and logistics, while beating up on countries that were not at all prepared to fight back. The strikes weren't surgical, but that was never going to make it into the media, unless there was friendly fire (which there was, often), and large missiles were not used that often. Large missiles did keep aircrew out of danger, and the media liked the image of US technological superiority and invincibility, so they became of the face of the whole thing, but unless you think the AGM-65 is big, I wouldn't say the US has ever relied of large missiles, certainly not for the tactical role.

Incidentally, while the A-10's gun was always played up as its main armament in the media and USAF PR, in reality from the time they were available in numbers, the AGM-65 was recognized as the aircraft's main weapon, and the only one likely to bring the pilot home in a Cold War gone hot. For whatever reason, people held onto the idea of the gun far longer than it was ever expected to make a real difference on a contested battlefield.