Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
And you can take that TO THE BANK from me, Dr. Jerrold Coe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

And you can take that TO THE BANK from me, Dr. Jerrold Coe

thanks Dr. Jerrold Coe

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I think they're dumb as poo poo entertainers. Their shtick is that they're nice, inclusive paranormal people who are against hate, but they're too loving stupid to even know the background on the poo poo they're "investigating" for their creepy-pasta level stories so they've tripped over nazi poo poo 2x in a row and gave the usual social media apologies, rending their clothes, this is not us, we'll do better, blah blah blah.

so they're liberals

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

hamas ftw posted:

so they're liberals

:hai: from like a homeschool/religious background which is part of their brand too. it's a loving brand, it's "entertainment" (for some anyways)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

:hai: from like a homeschool/religious background

shoulda known. lmao

i sensed their aura.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Like everything we discuss in this thread. You will never get 100% verifiable proof of anything. Tons of people have studied these topics for decades and they can never provide material proof of anything. And yet there will be no shortage of people who tell you they have seen or experienced something that defies logic and consensual reality. It's always subjective. Maybe it's because of the true nature of reality and the phenomenon

"This is a total dead end" was from their perspective. Their point is that data leads to dead ends, and synchronicities carry them along. It's a fun watch, but the stretches become monumental as you continue.

I am very much of the opinion that there is some weird poo poo happening in the world - this show just isn't showing it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

huh. as it turns out im daytrip driving distance from BLM land set aside for rock hounding obsidian. i really doubt i could extract a piece for a sizeable mirror but it sounds fun to try.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Zoobtro posted:

thanks uri

012624_2
Jan 27, 2024
their autism is deafening

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol probated in the time it took me to switch from the app to the web version

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Azathoth posted:

All Uri saying that is real makes me think is that it is fake, but that there's another, unrelated video out there that is real and they're trying to shitcoat everything with this credulous bullshit.

that that Russian video where they said "do not film us" and he filed them and they turned towards the camera and said "loving monkee"?

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

antidote posted:

I'm still enjoying it, but my wife and I spend most of our time rolling our eyes.

Well this was a total dead end, but look here... I just heard a buzzing fly! Fly, like a plane... The book mentions an alien named Amelia. Amelia Earhart. Truly, the synchronicities are compelling.

i finished hellier season 1 and it was pretty fun, but the music was definitely doing a large part of the work there. episodes 1 - 2 - 3 have a natural story arc (introduce the weirdness, get a team together, check out the spooky town) but after that it has nowhere to go.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
I gave Hellier a shot because the Weird Studies guys loving loved it, and I bounced off of it so hard I have difficulty listening to Weird Studies anymore. Their thesis seemed to be "if you can buy into synchronicities having meaning, it's a goddamned thrill ride" but man that's a tall order with these people.

Come to think of it, they're so over the top that it appears to have blunted my capacity to take synchronicity seriously in a general sense. Anyway balls upon them

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Greg Newkirk has kind of a Tim Heidecker vibe and it makes it hard to take seriously sometimes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rickshaw posted:

Greg Newkirk has kind of a Tim Heidecker vibe and it makes it hard to take seriously sometimes

Hahaha thank you for definitively that down

It's absolutely true

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

If you’re interested in getting into the mythology of Central America, this is a fun way to start - put together using the actual art, with historians, teachers, and some indigenous folk. It’s about an hour. Some cultures have big departures from this, while some are only different in minor ways or in names

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITstgdnmp6Y

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

First time I've seen a compendium debunking the Trinity case all in one place.

https://douglasjohnson.ghost.io/witness-credibility-shredded-for-vallee-trinity-tale/

https://twitter.com/ddeanjohnson/status/1751065856648315069

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

antidote posted:

"This is a total dead end" was from their perspective. Their point is that data leads to dead ends, and synchronicities carry them along. It's a fun watch, but the stretches become monumental as you continue.

I am very much of the opinion that there is some weird poo poo happening in the world - this show just isn't showing it.

I agree. Their other film, the Unbinding does show a lot of very weird stuff though. It's about a haunted wooden statue

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I agree. Their other film, the Unbinding does show a lot of very weird stuff though. It's about a haunted wooden statue

I saw a trailer and still do wanna watch this, glad to hear it's worthwhile!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Urea Smeller

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

D-Pad posted:

Where did you get your mirror?
I added it to a Temu order I was getting for other stuff. I had been looking at Etsy and Amazon too, but there was a good deal.

Coldrice posted:

If you’re interested in getting into the mythology of Central America, this is a fun way to start - put together using the actual art, with historians, teachers, and some indigenous folk. It’s about an hour. Some cultures have big departures from this, while some are only different in minor ways or in names

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITstgdnmp6Y
Very interested. I was actually trying to dig up some previous sources I had read to contribute to the sacrifice subject, but this sounds even better than what I was reading. I will check it out soon, thank you!

So if it's not true, he's been "stealing valor" from American cops and troops for decades? lol, I support him even more if he made it all up.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the Trinity book is absolute garbage, one of the worst UFO books I've read and I've read a lot of bad ones. even in the book it's obvious that the two main guys are just making poo poo up. DDJ is doing a great service so thoroughly tearing the story down.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

even if Jose Padilla was really a troop and a cop who was so lovely at both jobs that he got shot doing them it's very telling that Vallee considers that the best credentials a person could have. a dumbfuck soldier and a dumbfuck cop. lol. come on Jaques you dumbass.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

He's rich, he can't help himself

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

i was never impressed with trinity. isn't that the case where they have "crash debris" and it's like this obviously human manufactured bracket

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
skinny bob is real and no matter how many times uri geller says so will convince me otherwise.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

my bony fealty posted:

the Trinity book is absolute garbage, one of the worst UFO books I've read and I've read a lot of bad ones. even in the book it's obvious that the two main guys are just making poo poo up. DDJ is doing a great service so thoroughly tearing the story down.
I haven't read it, but it does sound bad and made up. I just think the government and/or media should pay him the 250k he's asking for the debris he has anyway.

my bony fealty posted:

even if Jose Padilla was really a troop and a cop who was so lovely at both jobs that he got shot doing them it's very telling that Vallee considers that the best credentials a person could have. a dumbfuck soldier and a dumbfuck cop. lol. come on Jaques you dumbass.
Yeah, every time I saw a quote that was like 'he's a respected cop, so you know he's a credible witness', I had to lmao.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kirkpatrick's podcast interview being covered in the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/27/sean-kirkpatrick-pentagon-ufo-conspiracy-theory-myths

quote:

Conspiracy theorists working for and within the US government are perpetuating myths about UFOs that millions of taxpayer dollars are then spent looking into, a “self-licking ice cream cone”, according to the Pentagon’s former chief investigator of unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP).

Sean Kirkpatrick made the claim in a podcast this week after stepping down last month as the first director of the defense department’s all-domain anomaly resolution office (Aaro). It was set up in 2022 to collate military reports of UAP sightings and to be more transparent about what the government knows.

Aaro’s first comprehensive historical record report, which has been submitted to Congress and is set for publication later this year, contains no evidence of the existence of alien life, or any government cover-up, Kirkpatrick says.

But many lawmakers, he insists, are only too happy to embrace unsubstantiated stories circulated by “a core group of people” about secret government UFO research programs. Those include startling claims from the former US intelligence official and whistleblower David Grusch last year about intact alien vehicles and non-human “biologics”, or biological matter, stored at a remote facility.

“They’re some of the same people that have been working behind the scenes with Congress to write legislation,” Kirkpatrick told the In the Room With Peter Bergen podcast.

“They’re the same people that worked with a US company and the US army to explore a piece of material that they claim was a UAP and really is a piece of missile casing from the 1950s. They’re the same people that have been influencing some of these whistleblowers who have come forward to say: ‘Hey, I don’t have any first-hand evidence, but all these people are telling me this.’”

Kirkpatrick declined to identify the people by name, but agreed with Bergen’s observation that “the actual conspiracy is being carried out by a group of true believers themselves to get the government involved in the business of investigating aliens”.

“That is a self-licking ice cream cone, exactly,” Kirkpatrick said. “The best thing that could have happened in this job is I found the aliens, and I could have rolled them out, but there’s none. There is no evidence of extraterrestrials. There is no evidence of aliens, and there’s no evidence of the government conspiracy.”

Kirkpatrick said in a resignation essay published by Scientific American last week that he feared lawmakers had succumbed to “conspiracy-driven decision-making” and sensationalism in their rush to “uncover the cover-up”.

“Worrisome is the willingness of some to make judgments and take actions on these stories without having seen or even requested supporting evidence, an omission that is all the more problematic when the claims are so extraordinary,” he wrote.

“Some members of Congress prefer to opine about aliens to the press rather than get an evidence-based briefing on the matter. Members have a responsibility to exhibit critical-thinking skills instead of seeking the spotlight.”

His frustration was apparent in his conversation with Bergen. He said his department’s mission to use a “rigorous scientific framework and a data-driven approach” to collate and evaluate UFO reports and sightings going back decades had been hampered by misrepresentations, half-truths and other snippets of misinformation from unreliable sources.

“You’ve got people that talk to people who come in to tell the story, or tell the media, and other people come in, but it turns out none of them have any first-hand evidence or knowledge,” Kirkpatrick said.

“They’re all relaying stories that they’ve heard from other people. And if you track where all those people know each other, it all goes back to the same core group of people.”

What his team was able to deduce, Kirkpatrick said, was that at least 90% of recorded UFO sightings, including some videos of military encounters declassified by the Pentagon in recent years, have a perfectly logical explanation.

“When you dig into those kinds of observations, and we had hundreds, you go back and work with the pilot, you work with the sensor, and you reconstruct the entire engagement, nine times out of 10 or more that turns into an optical illusion that we call parallax,” he said.

“Most of the times when we can’t give an explanation, it is because there is a lack of data, and by that I mean consistent, solid, recorded data that you can put into a computer and you can do analysis on.”

Even so, Kirkpatrick said, there are those unlikely to ever accept scientific explanations.

“There is absolutely nothing that I’m going to do, say or produce evidentially that is going to make the true believers convert,” he said.

“It is basically a religion, a religious belief that transcends critical thinking and rational thought.”

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Jan 27, 2024

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

it’s just so dismissive and arrogant for a man that we know didn’t have full clearances, to say nothing of the presumption that someone at Schumer’s level would be willing to go this far out without seeing some pretty specific poo poo.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

JNCO BILOBA posted:

it’s just so dismissive and arrogant for a man that we know didn’t have full clearances, to say nothing of the presumption that someone at Schumer’s level would be willing to go this far out without seeing some pretty specific poo poo.

His job is to perpetuate the coverup, little fucker knows exactly what he is doing. And now he'll be collecting a big paycheck for it.

Lol at rolling out Peter Bergen as the guy to interview him too, speaking of guys who love being intelligence community lickspittles.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lol The Guardian sucks so much

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Yeah, every time I saw a quote that was like 'he's a respected cop, so you know he's a credible witness', I had to lmao.

you see this in credulous accounts of ghost stories too, watch out everyone the ghosts and aitees have fent and are playing the knockout game!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah it's like, shockingly bad.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

Lol The Guardian sucks so much

its not like you have lot of better options over there. At least the Guardian lacks a page 3 girl

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

you see this in credulous accounts of ghost stories too, watch out everyone the ghosts and aitees have fent and are playing the knockout game!

I don't trust cops to be better observers or more honest or anything, but there is a point to be made that, like airline pilots, they face a bigger chance of blowback from reporting something than a retail worker or office drone. It doesn't mean it's more likely to be true or anything, just that when some cop reports a UFO, I tend to think that they're not hoaxing. Other mundane explanations are of course still on the table.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Azathoth posted:

I don't trust cops to be better observers or more honest or anything, but there is a point to be made that, like airline pilots, they face a bigger chance of blowback from reporting something than a retail worker or office drone. It doesn't mean it's more likely to be true or anything, just that when some cop reports a UFO, I tend to think that they're not hoaxing. Other mundane explanations are of course still on the table.

One could also argue that they are at least acquainted with the idea of the elements of good witness testimony. Doesn't mean its put into practice of course.

Its similar to how Mellon Lue et al. point to military pilots as being "professional observers". You would think someone piloting a half billion dollar machine (its ability to withstand rain notwithstanding) firing million dollar ordinance at things like last year's balloons would be acquainted with the concept of "parallax"

Also SHOW US THE BALLOON FOOTAGE YOU MORONS!!!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
absolutely lmaoing at the idea of believing literally anything that comes out of a cop's mouth. I certainly want to believe, but that's a bridge too far

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

loving lol at the idea of tut-tutting about "millions" spent looking for the programs when the Pentagon's budget is in the trillions and it routinely fails financial audits :allears:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

large orange light causes significant electronic interference as it passes over house

NUFORC posted:

This all took place in the summer of 1971 in early July. I do not have the exact date, and it is mostly irrelevant in this case since I do not want a case study done. Nothing would ever be proven in this situation or in this account. This story will stand as the only witness to what happened near my grandparent’s home in the woods 4 miles south of Steelville Missouri.

It was 8 PM in the evening and the family was playing cards at my grandparent’s house in Steelville, Missouri (just south of town about 3-4 miles off a dirt road into a woods where they had a nice modern house). I was watching TV nearby in the front room, to this day I am not even sure what I was watching. I do remember that at some point there was something that felt like a vibration from a very low frequency that shook the house. The house is made of brick, and so to shake it means there was a real force at work. Then the electricity went out, and then the phone started ringing, and ringing. Then the back yard lit up in a dull orange glow and something very bright was low just above the trees in the woods behind the house. My grandma answered the phone, but it was still be ringing with the receiver off the hook. All our hair by this time was standing on end either from the fright or electrical static charge that seemed to be in the air.

It was mom who spotted the orange light in (over) the woods through the sliding glass doors. We all went out back and began watching it, but then it came closer and closer and then I got scared and ran inside the house. I was afraid they were coming this way! They were! I have no idea who they were. I never found out, and the story pretty much ends here, because we saw this light and I mean it was more than a light, it was a huge glow. It was bright, but not over the top bright maybe the woods dulled it some and I was seeing it more or less shaded. It finally appeared in clear view, but was higher in the sky, and went straight up and out of site VERY VERY fast. I did not see it go up; this was told to me by my parents as they came inside, and as we recounted this story. I missed only a few seconds of the show, as it only lasted for 5 minutes or so total time. The power came on and the phone stopped ringing as it left. No one else saw it to my knowledge, and there really are no neighbors close by at all. There were almost no sounds from the light/craft except that low vibrating feeling. It remained always an orange color with no flashing lights. It left, and that is all there is to tell.

In a story like this, you will see that I have very few hard details, as there are really none to tell. I can see this all in my head, and it happened. I have no idea what the light was, but it was not anything I would guess is from our current technology. What flies up that fast and goes up and into outer space in a few seconds or less, perhaps as little as 1 second. There are so many stories about people seeing a light in the sky and it all proves so very little in the long run. I have very little to offer, but there is no misinterpretation being made. I have offered this simple story up, and know it is truly a UFO sighting. I hope others who have seen similar lights or craft will be able to gain more understanding from my encounter with a strange light in the sky. There was never anything found in the woods either, nothing burned, no evidence of any kind. We do not believe it landed. It always remained above the trees.

Thank you for letting me share this story.

triangular formation of lights reacts to witness cycling headlights

NUFORC posted:

Myself and another Coast Guardsman observed this returning from Calumet heading west toward our Coast Guard station at the north end of the Keweenaw Waterway. Date above is approx, to be best of my recollection. Began as one light coming on, then 2nd, then 3rd. Approx position half mile northeast of Keweenaw Waterway upper entrance (near F.J. McLain State Park, if it's still there). Could not tell if it was one object or three separate. We turned off the car and got out. There was absolutely no sound or movement, and it was still, clear night. I flicked on the headlights and went from low to high beam and turned them off. Within 5 seconds the object's center light went out for about 10 seconds then came back on. We'd been observing it for over 5 minutes at this point. Spooked, we got back in the car, started it and watched another full minute as the object's lights extinguished individually. We could not make out any shape(s) but were convinced beyond any doubt that what we had seen was unconventional, to say the least.

I'd like to know if any similar sightings have been reported. Although this happened a long time ago it kind of haunts me and I know I'll never forget it. Have there been sightings involving 3 bright lights, especially near Lake Superior? To cap off the sighting, we returned to the Coast Guard station where I called an Air Force installation (radar, I believe) which to my recollection was north of Calumet going toward Copper Harbor. Don't know if it's still there. I told the officer on duty I was with the Coast Guard and asked if they'd picked up anything on radar in the area I described to him but he wouldn't tell me anything, either yes or no. Please contact me about this. Thanks very much! ((Name deleted))

brief report of saucer with antenna-like protrusion on top

NUFORC posted:

We were standing on our upper porch and we saw this disk which was silver and had white lights rotating around the bottom. On the very top was something like an antenna with one green light on the tip of it.

This object hummed and just hovered and was motionless. All of a sudden it just went up and away very rapidly, we haven't a clue as to where it went, it just straight went up.

We called a local airport but they didn't answer their phone, was very strange.

to be honest I'm only including this one because the person went through the effort to submit it via webtv

NUFORC posted:

AT 4:AM SAW VERY LARGE BLACK TRIANGLE 150 FEET ABOVE ME LOW SOUND MOVING VERY SLOW !!

I WAS 17YR OLD AND VERY AFRAID AT WHAT I SAW IT WAS THERE FOR 12MIN BUT I LOOKED AT THE GROUND MOST OF THAT TIME ONLY LOOKING UP EVERY NOW AND THEN TO SEE IF IT WAS GONE I WAS IN A CLERING OF ABOUT 100 BY 100 LOTS OF TREES 75FT HIGH THIS SHIP WAS ABOUT 150 HIGH THE SKY WAS CLEAR WITH STARS AND MOON THE SHIP WAS JET BLACK AND VERY BIG SOON IT COVERED ALL THE SKY I COULD SEE HAD DEEP LOW SOUND I DID NOT SAY MUCH ABOUT IT UNTIL I SAW STARWARS THE MOVIE YEARS LATER THIS VERY HARD TO DO ON WBTV

three blue lights in moving identically in sequence over CT

NUFORC posted:

The first object appeared and hovered about 500 ft. over the southern sky above Tolland Tpke; 1 of three sightings. It remained there for over a minute. Than accelerated with no noise in the direction of Hartford. This happened at the Tolland St. interchange of I-84.

The second appeared at the middle RR crossing of Tolland Tpke and the third in front of 1701 Tolland Tpke. The second and third were I dentical in size, shape, and direction of departure to the first.

A Manchester Police Officer was made aware of the sightings and after a question about description of the object we were informed that 30 children at robertson school saw the same thing. Also were told that there were other sightings and they, at that point had continued for about a month.

star-like objects separate and then merge before vanishing; later that night witness notices bright white light and family finds dog dead w/ broken neck

NUFORC posted:

we were all sitting outside with a few neighbors when one of them noticed a strange star in the sky we all looked up and saw the star move thinking that it was an airplane. that's when the light or star stopped moving and then seperated and became two stars it paused for a moment and then went back together. after it went back together it vanished right before our eyes.

I was young and didn't really know what to think. my parents have always believed in ufo's and the such and I never have known what to believe I'm 40years old now and I still don't know what to think but my father asked that I report this and tell the story of what happened that night.

later that night, after I went to bed, I woke up and saw a bright light coming from outside. I just thought that it was early morning and went to use the restroom. but then we heard something that woke dad up and when we went outside our dog had pasted away. what was strange was that it looked like he had a broken neck..... I don't know just doing what I am asked hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

absolutely lmaoing at the idea of believing literally anything that comes out of a cop's mouth. I certainly want to believe, but that's a bridge too far

Watch the first alien to do a public interview have a 1312 tattoo