Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

trickybiscuits posted:

This one is interesting for the combination of Missing Missing Reasons, spinelessness, and wishy-washy advice.

Dear Annie: My boyfriend’s kids hate me so much, I wait in the car when they visit

Why would you agree to keep cooking?! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Man, talk about a total dick move by a parent toward their son. They’re getting savaged in the comments:

AITA for forcing my son to sell the car he is inheriting?
POO Mode Activated 💩

This didn’t happen yet but my whole family is fighting over this. I’ll try to make this as short as possible.

My father passed away in December. He owned a classic car. I believe it’s a 50s Chevy bel air. My son (17) is the only grandson he had. I have one sister who has 2 daughters, and I have 2 daughters along with my son. So there are 5 grandkids in total.

My dad was never much of a girls guy. He always got along with the boys more than the girls. Him and my son were very close. He has left the car to my son in his will. The rest of the grandkids got $4,000 each. The vehicle is valued at over $70,000.

My sister is LIVID, I am very unhappy as well. It’s just blatantly unfair to his 4 other grandkids. I don’t understand the legality of the situation because it was left to him but he is currently underage. The car is currently held at my moms house. I don’t know how to force him to sell it, but I think that is what should happen and the money can be decided equally amongst the grandkids. The way it should be.

My son is very upset about this, he says grandpa left him the car so it’s his car. I have money saved for his college, I am almost considering telling him that his college money will be divided up amongst his sisters and cousins if he refuses to sell the car.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pomme de Terror posted:

Why would you agree to keep cooking?! :psyduck:

You expect him, a MAN??, to cook for his kids?

I mean why else would he have a girlfriend if not to have her cook for him/them. No she can't meet them, or hang out with them. She isn't their real mother.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I can’t imagine how awkward it would feel to sit and eat a meal made by someone who’s been sent out of the room like that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

trickybiscuits posted:

This one is interesting for the combination of Missing Missing Reasons, spinelessness, and wishy-washy advice.

Dear Annie: My boyfriend’s kids hate me so much, I wait in the car when they visit

To be fair to Annie she straight up called out the Missing Missing Reasons, and it's hard to actually give out actual advice to something like that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
My tendency is to be confused here because if I wasn’t willing to be in the same room as someone for legit reasons I also wouldn’t want to eat food that they made.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pirate Radar posted:

My tendency is to be confused here because if I wasn’t willing to be in the same room as someone for legit reasons I also wouldn’t want to eat food that they made.

But what if you hate them and you know that food is seasoned with their bitter tears?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

what if you hate them because their cooking is irresistible, it haunts your thoughts and turns all lesser meals to ashes in your mouth, they have lured you to your ruination and now you can never lead a normal life again having once tasted that green bean casserole

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

the holy poopacy posted:

I think the relationship's pretty much toast at this point, but before she calls it quits she should ask him about inserting a reciprocal clause requiring him to go down on her x times per week just to watch his reaction.

He would be totally down for that because the goal is his legally enforced right to her body whether she feels like it or not :smith:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I dunno about that, the kind of dudes who demand sex are almost always the same kind who find the very idea of cunnilingus to be repulsive. They want to get, they don't want to give.

Basically the kind of dudes who don't deserve any sex at all, and should be ostracized.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I dunno about that, the kind of dudes who demand sex are almost always the same kind who find the very idea of cunnilingus to be repulsive. They want to get, they don't want to give.

Basically the kind of dudes who don't deserve any sex at all, and should be ostracized.

That's fair, I'm happy to concede that it could be one or the other extreme so long as we're agreed they should all be fired into the sun at everyone's nearest convenience.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Silly Newbie posted:

That's fair, I'm happy to concede that it could be one or the other extreme so long as we're agreed they should all be fired into the sun at everyone's nearest convenience.

Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting she should take him up on the deal. I'd just be morbidly curious to find out which flavor of awful he is before ditching him.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Man, talk about a total dick move by a parent toward their son. They’re getting savaged in the comments:

AITA for forcing my son to sell the car he is inheriting?
POO Mode Activated 💩

This didn’t happen yet but my whole family is fighting over this. I’ll try to make this as short as possible.

My father passed away in December. He owned a classic car. I believe it’s a 50s Chevy bel air. My son (17) is the only grandson he had. I have one sister who has 2 daughters, and I have 2 daughters along with my son. So there are 5 grandkids in total.

My dad was never much of a girls guy. He always got along with the boys more than the girls. Him and my son were very close. He has left the car to my son in his will. The rest of the grandkids got $4,000 each. The vehicle is valued at over $70,000.

My sister is LIVID, I am very unhappy as well. It’s just blatantly unfair to his 4 other grandkids. I don’t understand the legality of the situation because it was left to him but he is currently underage. The car is currently held at my moms house. I don’t know how to force him to sell it, but I think that is what should happen and the money can be decided equally amongst the grandkids. The way it should be.

My son is very upset about this, he says grandpa left him the car so it’s his car. I have money saved for his college, I am almost considering telling him that his college money will be divided up amongst his sisters and cousins if he refuses to sell the car.

It's pretty clear in this case the granddad just didn't have that much cash to give. I get that the shares aren't equal, but it seems like granddad had an emotional attachment to the car and wanted to pass it on to his grandson. Forcing the kid to sell is like pissing on his own dad's memory while at the same time burning his relationship with his son.

Also, ianal but I am executing an estate and the dad in this case doesn't have a leg to stand on legally. And if he's the executor he can get in serious trouble for breaching his fiduciary duty to the estate.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh, on that topic

Executor of Estate, wanting to invest/safe guard in Precious Metals for beneficiary.

quote:

My Dad recently passed in 2023. I am the named Executor, and have an Estate Account set up with local Credit Union. I understand that I have a Fiduciary responsibility for his Assets, for the beneficiary (my mom). His 401k and Roth is with Vanguard. To my knowledge, they do not have a Precious Metals fund and that is a bit concerning. I would like to protect what he has to a degree by having some PM's in his portfolio. What is the best way for me to go about doing this, legally? Can I "cash" out his accounts with Vanguard to the Estate Account, and buy some Physical PM's from there? Of course I have and would keep impeccable records of every dime spent. Am I able to "rollover" his Retirement accounts to another brokerage in the Estate's name, that would allow me to invest in a Gold fund, for example?

Need advice on the best, legal way for his estate to be diversified to a degree and provide stability for his assets. Thanks in Advance.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Were all the responses calling him an idiot?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Josef bugman posted:

Were all the responses calling him an idiot?

Some other poster posted:

As the executor, you're not there to be the portfolio manager or to play junior Warren Buffett. It's a short-term job. You're there to get the paperwork done, get the debts paid, get the final tax return filed, and get the beneficiary her money as quickly as humanly possible. Do not start speculating in the market. That would be a violation of your fiduciary duty.

The OP posted:

I hear exactly what you are saying. A lot can happen in a year’s time. I would hardly call it speculating, when most asset managers would probably suggest 10% for PMs. It’s there for insurance, which I am trying to provide. Speculating in stocks is the furthest thing I am trying to do, for the record.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Man, those estate lawyers are a waste of money! Just ask Reddit for advice! What's the worst that could happen?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It's pretty clear in this case the granddad just didn't have that much cash to give. I get that the shares aren't equal, but it seems like granddad had an emotional attachment to the car and wanted to pass it on to his grandson. Forcing the kid to sell is like pissing on his own dad's memory while at the same time burning his relationship with his son.

It comes out later that the grandfather specifically carved out maintenance for the car in his will to make it viable. This is clearly someone who cares more about the money than the object.

Legally she probably can't make him sell it, but she can withhold the college fund. But then she should consider if 3/5 of $70k is worth curbstomping the relationship with her son.

wheatpuppy posted:

But what if you hate them and you know that food is seasoned with their bitter tears?

Is spit seasoning too?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, on that topic

Executor of Estate, wanting to invest/safe guard in Precious Metals for beneficiary.

OP: "Hey Reddit, I'm trying to steal my mom's money so I can use it for TOTALLY SAFE speculation that for whatever reason I can't talk to her about to get her consent on, so should I just fake her signature or what?"

Reddit: "Don't do that it's illegal."

OP: "But I really want to!"

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol if grandfather gave the grandson the car and maintenance money and the 4 grandaughters got less than half of the value of that combined then gramps is the rear end in a top hat.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

lol if grandfather gave the grandson the car and maintenance money and the 4 grandaughters got less than half of the value of that combined then gramps is the rear end in a top hat.

If the grandson turned around and sold it, sure, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. The 1950s Chevy is probably less valuable in practical terms than a $5k car today, and some speculative value to a collector isn’t relevant if he keeps it. Not really that different than a piece of jewelry or something that has sentimental value even if technically the market value makes the inheritance “unfair”.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean, are people required to parcel out their estate equally? I thought it was always understood that if someone has a closer relationship with a person, they might get more in the will, such as preferential treatment in terms of receiving sentimental objects of value yes.

You could absolutely argue that grandpa is an rear end in a top hat for clearly choosing to spend more time getting to know his grandson than his granddaughters, but by the point of the will it shouldn't be surprising how that's all lining up. He loved his grandson especially and had a soft spot and he showed that preferential treatment in death the same as he did in life. Making the kid sell the car won't undo grandpa's sins.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 27, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I mean if the situation was reversed and the single granddaughter got the inherited wedding band valued at $70k and the 4 grandsons all got $16k combined it would still be tremendously unfair, sentimental value or not. The estimated value is absolutely relevant - would you say the same thing for, say, a childhood home?

edit: grandpa can give whatever he wants to whomever he wants in his will. Absent any other factors, though, he's an rear end in a top hat for giving one grandkid something worth a pile of money and the other grandkids like a fifth of that value combined

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 27, 2024

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

No, his wife is still alive and part of the will was paying the person who was previously taking care of it to continue to do so.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

idiotsavant posted:

edit: grandpa can give whatever he wants to whomever he wants in his will. Absent any other factors, though, he's an rear end in a top hat for giving one grandkid something worth a pile of money and the other grandkids like a fifth of that value combined

Oh agreed - the 'he's a boys guy' stuff sounds like he never even tried to know his granddaughters. Also lol simultaneous edits

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Hughlander posted:

No, his wife is still alive and part of the will was paying the person who was previously taking care of it to continue to do so.

i mean that's still money, though. Maybe the grandson doesn't get $100/mo or whatever the amount is that the mechanic is paid, but he's getting an extra $XXX per year in car care. it's still just as unfair

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

I mean if the situation was reversed and the single granddaughter got the inherited wedding band valued at $70k and the 4 grandsons all got $16k combined it would still be tremendously unfair, sentimental value or not. The estimated value is absolutely relevant - would you say the same thing for, say, a childhood home?

Would it? Hypothetical grandma doesn't want the family heirloom sold off and only has so much money. What's the alternative here?

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
If an old dude loved their old car, he probably planned for the car's welfare first, and wasn't going to give it to a group of people or his adult kid that can't even definitively state the make/model of his prized possession(and would cash it out without consideration of the sentiment).
He'd likely give it to the family member he thought would appreciate the car for being more than just a ride, or maybe the person who shared some positive experiences regarding the car, or possibly the only person he thought wouldn't scrap it immediately.

And the rest of the cash is possibly just what he had left. It's not his responsibility to equitably disperse his cash value on expiry, it's their responsibility to either respect the wishes of the person they ostensibly cared about, or respect the legality of the agreement and quit trying to treat it like a shareholder dispersement. :/

Kid probably will still have to get a daily driver as well at some point.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 27, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This sequel to Gran Turismo sucks

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Grandpa could have solved this problem by simply being richer

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pirate Radar posted:

Grandpa could have solved this problem by simply being richer

Or having only one grandchild.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
OP could have also just shut the gently caress up about it. There's no law that says you have to broadcast the will publicly. My step grandfather came into my life when I was eight was probably very wealthy and he had a similar car. We were reasonably close. When he died he left me $5k. I don't know what happened to the car. Maybe it was sold to add to the estate (of which I presume most of it went to my grandma.) Maybe it was given to another grandkid. It's none of my business what he did with his money.

It's also in my best interest for it to be none of my business. Let's say I got a door prize and his real grandkids got their college paid in full or something. I'm glad I don't know and I'm glad that no one told me. All knowing about it would do is sour a relationship at the very end.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RubberBands Hurt posted:

quit trying to treat it like a shareholder dispersement.

Pretty much.

Grandpa liked his car and wanted someone in the family to continue enjoying it. He left it to the person who would fulfill that wish. Yes it's technically "unfair" on a crass financial level but welcome to reality! Sometimes there's only one of a thing, so only one person can have it, and the intact artifact has special value beyond what you can hock it for on craigslist.

There could easily be other factors involved that aren't described. Like maybe the boy spent every summer working with Grandpa on the car and the girls barely ever saw him. But ultimately it doesn't matter. Grandpa wants the kid to have his car. Nobody else wants the car, they want money. There isn't any more money in Grandpa's estate. There's a car.

I suppose if he wanted to be "fair" he could have put in a clause like "if you ever sell the car, I want you to split the money from the sale evenly with my other grandchildren." But I'm not sure if that's enforceable, and good lord, can you imagine the pressure the kid would get? Every family get together "when are you going to sell the car? When are you going to sell the car? You know I want to go to Italy and by not selling the car you're preventing me from living my dreams" on and on.

Grandpa did it correctly.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (22m) pregnant fiance 21(F) is crying herself to sleep again because of me.

quote:

So, I'm gonna preface everything with I'm a security officer, and supervisor with some pretty hosed up hours, I don't get off until 0000-0200 and don't get to sleep until 0400. One morning I had gone to bed at about 4:00, my pregnant fiance tried to wake me up at about 8:00 she was talking to me and pushing me, in my sleep I was unaware of this, I called her the B word in my sleep, laid down again snoozing. This was probably about a week ago. (The name calling is not at all intentional, nor do I believe that she is a B word.)

We have been with eachother for 9 months now, and again I do not actually believe she is any form of the B Word or anything bad at all, she is the love of my life.

Now, nothing has changed about my work schedule, she was trying to wake me up for spicy time, I called her the B word again. Now she doesn't even want to be in the same room as me. What can I do? I don't want this ruining our relationship, I also don't want to have my work schedule changed, I love the shift I'm on.

TL;DR I'm angry when people try to wake me, what can I do?

Help me Reddit I don’t mean to call my girlfriend a bitch and also I can’t stop doing it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well if he's asleep he really can't help it, unless he gets hypnotherapy or something?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well if he's asleep he really can't help it, unless he gets hypnotherapy or something?

Hypnosis is fake, friend.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Bramble posted:

My (22m) pregnant fiance 21(F) is crying herself to sleep again because of me.

quote:

We have been with eachother for 9 months now,

Help me Reddit I don’t mean to call my girlfriend a bitch and also I can’t stop doing it.

Big oof

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Yeah, engaged and pregnant in less than a year? I am sure all their relationship decisions were measured and well-thought-out.

J/k, for all he knows she really is a bitch. She certainly seems to struggle with the concept of letting him sleep a full 8 hours.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Yeah, why DOES she need to wake him up at 8 am in the first place, unless there's an emergency? Especially since he's working the night shift or something, so his work hopefully starts late enough that he can get enough sleep and then handle whatever daily tasks need to be handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well apparently she was waking him up for sex