Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

litany of gulps posted:

This same scenario is happening to an unprecedented degree all over the country. Google news articles about chronic absenteeism in schools. In some cities, they may fine parents for truant children, but this is relatively rare. There are districts where 40%+ of the students are regularly absent. The schools don’t really know what to do or how to fix it. CPS in most places is already overwhelmed, they’re unlikely to get involved. In short, there are probably no likely next steps beyond maybe some vaguely threatening automated letters being sent to the parents.

That's pretty interesting, I guess it's not surprising since kids have internet access these days and know that school doesn't really have much to offer them in terms of having a good future if you live in America. Most of them probably just want to be streamers or something when they grow up.

Mister Kingdom posted:

My apartment complex was recently taken over by a new management company (whose Google reviews are extremely bad). They just updated the resident portal on the complex' website. When I logged in today, it shows my balance (next month's rent) and it has my rent $50 less than it should be. The rent's not due until the first and they could fix it by then, but I have a bad feeling about it.

Would I be stupid to mention it? I don't want them coming back and saying I underpaid.

If you pay rent manually then probably mention it, it sucks to say so but they'll definitely win in court if you pay $50 less than they expect and decide to kick you out for it. If it's automatic just keep the $50 separately and be ready to pay out if they come calling.

Nevil Maskelyne fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

My apartment complex was recently taken over by a new management company (whose Google reviews are extremely bad). They just updated the resident portal on the complex' website. When I logged in today, it shows my balance (next month's rent) and it has my rent $50 less than it should be. The rent's not due until the first and they could fix it by then, but I have a bad feeling about it.

Would I be stupid to mention it? I don't want them coming back and saying I underpaid.
I would suggest mentioning it because they're pretty much guaranteed to notice it eventually and demand that you pay it and it will probably be more of a pain if they notice later.

It's not a situation like amazon refunding you for something they shouldn't have where they will never notice or care.

You may have late fees under your lease agreement and/or they could evict you if they wanted to, and you probably don't really want to get into a fight with them about whether it's really your fault if you just ignored the amount in the resident portal being incorrect.

(I would imagine that the terms of use of the resident portal also specifically say that it's your responsibility to confirm that the autopay amount is correct.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 27, 2024

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

That's pretty interesting, I guess it's not surprising since kids have internet access these days and know that school doesn't really have much to offer them in terms of having a good future if you live in America. Most of them probably just want to be streamers or something when they grow up.

This is more of a D&D topic, but I really don't think that the first part of this is true. There's a sort of vibe among a lot of younger people that this is the case, but a lot of younger people have no experience, context, or real capability to understand what's going on.

For example, right now Wal-Mart is paying 15-20 dollars an hour in the local markets where I live. During the Great Recession, Wal-Mart was paying minimum wage and had 500 desperate people applying for every temporary cashier position. A lot of older teens are thinking that they should drop out of high school and get a job at Wal-Mart (or Amazon, or whatever) right now because they're going to get paid a good enough wage, so why bother continuing their education? They don't really understand the longer term potential consequences of this. If we enter another recession and unemployment rises, all of those employers are going to see the flow of pressure flip. Instead of employers needing to compete with each other to offer higher wages, the unemployed will be competing with each other out of desperation to pay their increasingly high rents and grocery bills. Desperation will drive a race to the bottom in terms of wages, and employers will have their pick of employees from a large pool. When sorting those applications, the first ones to be filtered out will be the high school dropouts. Similar scenarios would play out across all levels of the economy.

The fact is, too, that the current crop of young adults are less skilled than their predecessors. Reading and math scores have fallen catastrophically among the generation of students impacted by the pandemic. If you've ever seen someone who grew up addicted to cell phones try and use a computer for any basic task, you know well that they're completely useless at doing anything but finding idiotic youtube videos to mindlessly consume. The slightly older young adults are notably more adept at using laptop and desktop devices and applications. But the pandemic generation of teenagers has sort of failed directly into easy to get entry-level jobs that pay better than similar jobs have ever paid. If and when the economy shifts, they're going to struggle to compete.

Anyway, Pew has a lot of interesting research on correlations between education and income and wealth. Take this, for example: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-r...middleclass_08/

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 27, 2024

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

If you pay rent manually then probably mention it, it sucks to say so but they'll definitely win in court if you pay $50 less than they expect and decide to kick you out for it. If it's automatic just keep the $50 separately and be ready to pay out if they come calling.

I've always paid by check (and have never been late).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mystes posted:

I would suggest mentioning it because they're pretty much guaranteed to notice it eventually and demand that you pay it and it will probably be more of a pain if they notice later.

It's not a situation like amazon refunding you for something they shouldn't have where they will never notice or care.

You may have late fees under your lease agreement and/or they could evict you if they wanted to, and you probably don't really want to get into a fight with them about whether it's really your fault if you just ignored the amount in the resident portal being incorrect.

(I would imagine that the terms of use of the resident portal also specifically say that it's your responsibility to confirm that the autopay amount is correct.)

Per the lease, there's a 10% late fee if the rent isn't received by the 5th of the month. I'll contact them through the portal and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've always paid by check (and have never been late).

Yeah definitely bring it up, it's not worth getting evicted over an extra $50/month that you probably wouldn't get to keep anyways.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Relative has grade school child with major attendance problems, school district has done all they can to help & accommodate but issue continued & was escalated to court summons where judge gave enabling parents stern warning & scheduled follow up session to track progress. Minor improvement but then back to kid preferring gaming at home to school & parents not caring enough to make them go. Kid had been doing fine in prior year & isn’t being bullied, just seems part of parents allowing child to do whatever like no bedtime or care for nutrition.

What are likely next steps, would parents be fined or possibility of CPS being involved? This is in US.

You mentioned that this is a relative and that this is something relatively new. Are the parents doing ok? Why did they suddenly take such a laissez faire attitude all of a sudden?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I need to make a temporary mark on some clothing. What could I use for that?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
You could use dressmaking chalk, depending on how temporary you needed it to be?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

bee posted:

You could use dressmaking chalk, depending on how temporary you needed it to be?

Temporary enough I can wash it out but not so temporary it comes off completely from a little handling.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Masking tape

mystes
May 31, 2006

NotNut posted:

Temporary enough I can wash it out but not so temporary it comes off completely from a little handling.
How visible do you need it to be? I would suggest a fabric marking pen, which won't come off with handling like chalk, but it might not show up that well on darker fabrics.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

exercise question:

if someone wanted to bicycle 15 miles per week, would it be better to do 5 miles 3 days per week or 3 miles 5 days per week? does it matter?

mystes
May 31, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

exercise question:

if someone wanted to bicycle 15 miles per week, would it be better to do 5 miles 3 days per week or 3 miles 5 days per week? does it matter?
Are you envisioning this as your sole form of exercise? If not, I think it depends on what other exercise you're going to do in those two scenarios.

15 miles of biking isn't very much exercise and I'm not sure it's a good idea to exclusively do biking for exercise.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

3 miles 5 days per week

Every other day. I worked out 10 times in the 2 weeks, hope that helps

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
More days per week is much better, but you should probably be going by an hour per workout day or something like that rather than set number of miles.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mystes posted:

Are you envisioning this as your sole form of exercise? If not, I think it depends on what other exercise you're going to do in those two scenarios.

15 miles of biking isn't very much exercise and I'm not sure it's a good idea to exclusively do biking for exercise.

was thinking this would be the sole form. it's 100% for weight loss, if that matters.

for now, i'm only planning 15 miles per week, just to acclimate my body and what not. totally willing to ramp it up so long as my body's not achy the day after a long session.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 27, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm gonna go with whichever you find to be more sustainable in the long term. It's better to forge a habit you can build on than to worry about it being perfect from the start.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
If you can do it 4-5 times per week and for long enough to raise your heart rate then you're going to be able to start getting into better shape and able to do it longer. The most important part is doing something you'll be able to stay in the habit with and not give up after a week or so.

mystes
May 31, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

was thinking this would be the sole form. it's 100% for weight loss, if that matters.

for now, i'm only planning 15 miles per week, just to acclimate my body and what not. totally willing to ramp it up so long as my body's not achy the day after a long session.
It's possible you may be very slow to start, but the issue is not so much "long sessions" as that once you've done it a few times, you may find that you're able to do 3 miles in around 15 minutes even if you're not particularly athletic, and it would probably be better to aim for at least like 5 days x 30 minutes of exercise.

That said, you don't always have to do "moderate" or "intense" exercise, so you could do 30 minutes x 3 days a week of biking (aiming for "moderate" exercise) but also do 30 minutes of walking on other days.

Biking isn't considered weight bearing exercise and exclusively doing it may not be good for your joints/bones, so it's probably a good idea to at least add some light walking in as well (although even walking isn't weight bearing that much so it's probably better theoretically good to also to do a little of something like at least light strength training or jogging)

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 27, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

abelwingnut posted:

That's a great goal to start with. Don't try to optimize anything if you're just starting out, go find out what feels good. 15 miles in a single day will definitely get you aching if you aren't used to it, take it slower.

mystes posted:

Biking isn't considered weight bearing exercise and exclusively doing it may not be good for your joints/bones, so it's probably a good idea to at least add some light walking in as well (although even walking isn't weight bearing that much so it's probably better theoretically good to also to do a little of something like at least light strength training or jogging)

I've never heard anyone talk about exercise this way. Can you link some studies or examples? I've never heard of biking 15 miles a week being bad for your bones, you're gonna need to provide some data on that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I've never heard anyone talk about exercise this way. Can you link some studies or examples? I've never heard of biking 15 miles a week being bad for your bones, you're gonna need to provide some data on that.
You seem to have misunderstood what I said, possibly by jumping over the word "exclusively". The issue isn't that biking 15 miles a week is specifically bad*, the issue is that it simply isn't weight bearing exercise which is something that you should be doing for your bone health, especially as you get older.

See https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoporosis/in-depth/osteoporosis/art-20044989

quote:

Swimming and cycling have many benefits, but they don't provide the weight-bearing load that bones need to slow bone loss. However, if you enjoy these activities, do them. Just be sure also to add weight-bearing activity as you're able.

*: That is to say that at any level a normal person is going to do, biking in itself isn't going to have a negative effect. However, there are studies looking at bone density of cyclists that do suggest that at pro cycling levels, biking may actually be bad for your bone density.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 27, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mystes posted:

*: That is to say that at any level a normal person is going to do, biking in itself isn't going to have a negative effect. However, there are studies looking at bone density of cyclists that do suggest that at pro cycling levels, biking may actually be bad for your bone density.

okay well this person is just starting to get into exercise for weight loss so how bout we temper the advice to what's relevant?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

okay well this person is just starting to get into exercise for weight loss so how bout we temper the advice to what's relevant?
You specifically asked me a question and I answered it. That footnote was a tangent not directed at the person asking the original question that I added purely out of a desire to be comprehensive and accurate because you were already misunderstanding and nitpicking my post.

The part above that from the mayo clinic is the part that directly answers your question and would be relevant to the OP.

In case you are still misunderstanding my point, please note that there is a difference between the idea of 1) biking in itself being deleterious (which I said it would not be for normal levels of exercise) and 2) biking not being weight bearing exercise, which is something that is important, and therefore not being sufficient as a sole form of exercise.

Biking is great exercise, but my original point was simply pointing out that it is considered beneficial to also add some form of weight bearing exercise, which can include walking, and this is something that applies to everyone.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 27, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

abelwingnut posted:

It's a great goal but I think and hope that after a short time of doing this you'll want to bump it up. For road biking, 12 mph is a pretty achievable speed by even new cyclists. At that speed 3 miles will take 15 minutes. Even at a very slow 9 mph you're looking at 20 minutes. Of course, if you're biking on city streets and have to stop for traffic and lights it'll take longer. Try to find bike paths so you can just keep going without a lot of stop / start.

I started cycling about 10 years ago and I was doing 3 miles or so at first but after a couple of weeks I "broke through" and did a 12 mile ride, and a month or two after that I was regularly doing 30 mile rides and stretching to 60+ at times.

Hopefully you'll love it as much as I did!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mystes posted:

I'm not sure if you are simply having difficulty understanding the difference between biking in itself being deleterious (which I said it would not be for normal levels of exercise) and biking not being weight bearing exercise, which is something that is important, and therefore not being sufficient as a sole form of exercise?

it's completely sufficient as a sole form of exercise. you're misreading the study you linked and giving weird advice to someone who's literally just starting to exercise from nothing. yes, strength training is important to maintain bone density when you get older, that has nothing to do with this person, the advice they're asking for or their stated goals. also, light walking is the opposite of what that study suggests.

yes, it's a good idea to work strength training into any exercise routine. as you get older it gets more important, but i have no idea how old the op is. your bones will not fall apart if you bike instead of lift weights. light walking isn't strength training and does nothing for your bones. the single most important things to pay attention to when you first start exercising are pacing yourself, having fun and most of all sticking with it. worrying about bone-itis is not on the list.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 27, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it's completely sufficient as a sole form of exercise. you're misreading the study you linked and giving weird advice to someone who's literally just starting to exercise from nothing. yes, strength training is important to maintain bone density when you get older, that has nothing to do with this person, the advice they're asking for or their stated goals. also, light walking is the opposite of what that study suggests.

yes, it's a good idea to work strength training into any exercise routine. as you get older it gets more important, but i have no idea how old the op is. your bones will not fall apart if you bike instead of lift weights. light walking isn't strength training and does nothing for your bones. the single most important thing to pay attention to when you first start exercising is pacing yourself, having fun and most of all sticking with it.
Let me quote from the mayo article again:

quote:

Swimming and cycling have many benefits, but they don't provide the weight-bearing load that bones need to slow bone loss. However, if you enjoy these activities, do them. Just be sure also to add weight-bearing activity as you're able.

quote:

Choosing the right form of exercise

These types of activities are often recommended for people with osteoporosis:

Strength training exercises, especially those for the upper back.
Weight-bearing aerobic activities, like walking.
Flexibility exercises.
Stability and balance exercises.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oh, sorry does the person posting the question have osteoporosis? i must have missed that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

oh, sorry does the person posting the question have osteoporosis? i must have missed that.
While this specific article is directed at people with osteoporosis, the idea that weight bearing exercise is important and walking is considered a weight-bearing aerobic activity is medical consensus and applies to everyone.

Your assertion that "light walking... does nothing for your bones" is not really correct (see the idea of "weight bearing aerobic exercise"), but I agree that strength training would be better in that respect, so if you want to tell the OP to do strength training I will not object.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 27, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Turns out my previous shitpost was a cautionary tale

mystes
May 31, 2006

Since the objection was that the article was directed at people with osteoporosis, here are some articles not aimed at people with osteoporosis saying the same thing:

https://www.idsportsmed.com/is-cycling-a-weight-bearing-exercise-learn-more-here/
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-best-exercises-for-your-bones
https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20791548/is-weight-bearing-exercise-really-useless-for-bone-strength/

quote:

How do we know that the subtle effects of exercise add up over time? One way is to compare cohorts who do different types of exercise, as Hinton did in a 2009 study. When she compared habitual runners, cyclists, and resistance trainers, the cyclists had significantly lower bone density—as expected, because cycling doesn’t provide jarring impacts or build muscles that keep bones under tension, which are thought to be the two key elements of bone-stimulating exercise.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, i started this past wednesday doing 3 miles. then another 3 on thursday and friday. already feels easy. my heart definitely started pumping and i started sweating a bit, but nothing crazy. my legs did hurt the following days, though, and that's what i'm trying to avoid, so probably going to stick to 15 miles next week.

hoping to get up to 30-50 miles per week in a month or so. i'm not terribly overweight or anything (5'11", 160lb), just a little bigger than i was in my best shape (140-145lb).

and no on the osteoporosis. at least i think. could swim, but was hoping to do something around the house. i have an exercise bike and it seems obviously the most convenient and easiest way to exercise.

sorry to have kicked off a war! i'll retreat. thanks for the ideas.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 27, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mystes posted:

Since the objection was that the article was directed at people with osteoporosis, here are some articles not aimed at people with osteoporosis saying the same thing:

the OP wanted an exercise specifically for weight loss, and said that this is the first thing they are trying and they will add to it in time. they did not mention slowing bone loss or muscle building as goals or areas of concern.

have you ever considered that when someone is new to exercise and they are talking about something they want to do, that saying it's "not enough" and overwhelming with a bunch of articles about bone loss(???) might be a bit more discouraging than simply saying "hey cycling a great way to start out with exercise" which, it is?

mystes
May 31, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

yea, i started this past wednesday doing 3 miles. then another 3 on thursday and friday. already feels easy. my heart definitely started pumping and i started sweating a bit, but nothing crazy. my legs did hurt the following days, though, and that's what i'm trying to avoid, so probably going to stick to 15 miles next week.

hoping to get up to 30-50 miles per week in a month or so. i'm not terribly overweight or anything (5'11", 160lb), just a little bigger than i was in my best shape (140-145lb).

and no on the osteoporosis. at least i think. could swim, but was hoping to do something around the house. i have an exercise bike and it seems obviously the most convenient and easiest way to exercise.

sorry to have kicked off a war! i'll retreat. thanks for the ideas.
Ah, I was assuming you were biking outside, but if it's a normal exercise bike and not a bike trainer, I'm not sure the miles will be accurate at all anyway, so maybe you would be better off focusing on time at a certain perceived level of effort.

I'm not sure the cheap ones even usually take the resistance into account? You can probably use them as a relative scale as long as you leave the resistance constant though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 27, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

abelwingnut posted:

Rad, great start! I get horrible muscle soreness so I know how much it sucks but when you're ramping up to a good constant level of exercise you do have to power through it to some extent. Gets easier surprisingly quickly though.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

mystes posted:

How visible do you need it to be? I would suggest a fabric marking pen, which won't come off with handling like chalk, but it might not show up that well on darker fabrics.

I need it to be visible and it's gonna be on black fabric.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NotNut posted:

I need it to be visible and it's gonna be on black fabric.
Actually I guess there are white fabric marking pens? I've never tried one but it might be worth a shot.

This is also assuming the marks will be small; I'm not really sure what your actual goal is, so it might not work depending.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

mystes posted:

Actually I guess there are white fabric marking pens? I've never tried one but it might be worth a shot.

This is also assuming the marks will be small; I'm not really sure what your actual goal is, so it might not work depending.

Yeah, just a small mark to help with sewing. I don't think fabric marking pens are the answer because the ones I'm seeing are permanent. But it looks like tailor's chalk could work.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our garbage disposal has stopped working. Is it OK to still run the dishwasher, which has an outflow hose to the disposal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

NotNut posted:

Yeah, just a small mark to help with sewing. I don't think fabric marking pens are the answer because the ones I'm seeing are permanent. But it looks like tailor's chalk could work.
Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Clover-White-Marking-Fine-517/dp/B0011459YQ

But if chalk works for your purposes maybe that will work better