Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Can you buy a decent sweet and sour dipping sauce from the grocery store anymore?

Before COVID they had a decent one but I'd long gone.

I'm about to try making my own from a recipe online.

It's just sugar and vinegar and msg and some generic spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cosmik Debris posted:

I'm probably older or at least as old as all of you and none of my friends know jack poo poo about file systems and have had real jobs for decades.

I’m a filthy youth with friends who know far too much about file systems AND have real jobs :colbert:

Roughly 90% of my friends are nerds

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm almost 40 and I don't know a single person who doesn't use PCs as a significant part of their job

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Ask any of them what a file system is and watch as they stare blankly at you

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
People use Excel and Outlook and sometimes PowerPoint. That's it. That's work.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If you need better friends, just say so

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Cosmik Debris posted:

If you ask an average-ish Gen X / Millennial what a file system is, they'll stare blankly at you. However, if you give them a directory to browse to, ("Can you please navigate to C:\Program Files\THING"), they can generally do it. They don't know what the word is, but they do know how to interface with it.

It's hard to know how many this applies to, but I'd guesstimate it's slightly short of a majority -- 35 - 40% or there abouts. Do the same experiment with Gen and I'd expect the number to be substantially less.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If you have a positive opinion of Linux you're a weirdo. If you still use Netflix and not a NAS you're an idiot. Be the right level of nerdy anything else is unacceptable.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cosmik Debris posted:

They probably at least have a concept of what a file is, though. That's going away now that people never have to think about data existing outside of its associated app and way less stuff gets stored locally in the first place.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Opened up a file in C:/Scratch. Edited and hit save as.

Why yes I want it in my OneDrive folder.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm smelling job security for another year or two and that might help me find something else.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Honestly the funniest part is Microsoft 11 whatever the hell were using is the new horrible folder view. You want to see the files organized by date or size? Nah go gently caress yourself.

I'm sure theres a fix for this it is so bad.

No I don't want you to stay my files into gross 4 staying with 0-9, then A-E or whatever it's doing now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cosmik Debris posted:

Idk about y'all but when I was growing up nobody knew how to type and computers were black magic and nothing has changed except kids can use touchscreens.

People still don't learn basic computer skills and most people still hunt and peck.

Idk why y'all are thinking the kids are so stupid. They're as stupid as the general public always has been and always will be.

I played piano and had my parents old electric typewriter so I learned that stuff pretty easy, but most people never do and never really need to anyway

Cosmik Debris posted:

lol I'm a programmer and I can tell you right now that the vast, vast majority of people know next to nothing about computers. Hell even what I don't know could fill a small library.

Basic use of an OS is as far as 99% of the population ever gets. In the 90s I saved all my papers on floppy disks, so I didn't need to know how a filesystem worked then and you don't need to know how one works now.

OSes nowadays heavily confine you to userspace anyway, it's quite hard to unknowingly get out of C:/Users/* in windows and *nix won't even let you out of /home at all unless you're admin. So there's nothing to do with knowledge of a filesystem because OSes have never really wanted regular users to understand file systems. They want you to drop every file in My Documents or the Desktop. If you make folders then good for you but you don't have to.

I'm honestly surprised at all the first shaking going on in here. I'm probably older or at least as old as all of you and none of my friends know jack poo poo about file systems and have had real jobs for decades.

The entire concept of a desktop was invented to abstract away file systems. We even call them files and folders so that people can think of it in terms they understand - files go in folders. They're actually "directories" thankyouverymuch. Well actually a file originally was a punch card file. But still. There's always been a great deal of dumbing down to get people to adopt computers, since the very beginning.
You're projecting quite a bit.

The point was that if you grew up "using computers" as a millennial or older then you ended up with a certain minimum level of computer literacy just from getting the drat things to work. If you didn't grow up "using computers" then yeah you didn't magically get gifted knowledge by being born around the right time you doof.

The millennial/genx crossover group were the first group where there was a mass opportunity to grow up "using computers", and this combination of access and difficulty means there was an upswing in the middle ground of computer literacy referred to as being "good at computers". Prior to that you were probably either a highly knowledgeable enthusiast of a niche hobby/industry or you had no idea what a thinkybox was.

Now everyone above a certain level of privilege is growing up "using computers" so there's still a general attitude that being "bad at computers" means you must be either dumb or over 50. We're talking about, just talking about not shaking our fists at, how and why that just isn't true. The technology has become so abstracted that a person can grow up "using computers" far more than the generation that was "good at computers" and still be "bad at computers". But that hasn't caught onto the social consciousness yet because how could that make sense? Must be that zoomers are dumb lol - some boomer who still prints out his emails and calls IT when he runs out of paper

Splicer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 27, 2024

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Duck and Cover posted:

If you have a positive opinion of Linux you're a weirdo. If you still use Netflix and not a NAS you're an idiot. Be the right level of nerdy anything else is unacceptable.

:hai:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Windows is better than linux
However!
Linux is better than windows

This is because every operating system is a piece of poo poo. They are all the worst.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I taught myself to type when I was like 6 years old and the way I type I use index fingers for like 90% of it and only occasionally use the middle/ring fingers on my left hand so everyone who sees me type thinks I'm doing the hunt&peck thing except I type at like 110+ WPM and confuse the poo poo out of everyone

I don't trust homerow typers, they're slow and prone to errors, also they're conformists.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

deep dish peat moss posted:

I taught myself to type when I was like 6 years old and the way I type I use index fingers for like 90% of it and only occasionally use the middle/ring fingers on my left hand so everyone who sees me type thinks I'm doing the hunt&peck thing except I type at like 110+ WPM and confuse the poo poo out of everyone

I don't trust homerow typers, they're slow and prone to errors, also they're conformists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtzIWPeun7c

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Basically if you see someone homerow typing you know they're not a poweruser or computer wizard because they waited to be taught how to type. Come at me

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I agree with this theory, I type like an insane person using mostly my middle fingers, but I get 90 wpm

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Cosmik Debris posted:

lol I'm a programmer and I can tell you right now that the vast, vast majority of people know next to nothing about computers. Hell even what I don't know could fill a small library.

Basic use of an OS is as far as 99% of the population ever gets. In the 90s I saved all my papers on floppy disks, so I didn't need to know how a filesystem worked then and you don't need to know how one works now.

OSes nowadays heavily confine you to userspace anyway, it's quite hard to unknowingly get out of C:/Users/* in windows and *nix won't even let you out of /home at all unless you're admin. So there's nothing to do with knowledge of a filesystem because OSes have never really wanted regular users to understand file systems. They want you to drop every file in My Documents or the Desktop. If you make folders then good for you but you don't have to.

It's all fun and games until you filled up your system SSD by forgetting that you didn't change the default file save/download locations, and wanna move stuff over to a typically much bigger HDD.

Then you gotta dig around where Telegram saved its stuff, where your webbrowser has etc etc.

Same goes for making backups if you don't want to use the default 'put everything in onedrive!!!!1!' thing, forcing you to buy extra cloud hosting if you got more than a couple dozen GB of stuff.
Knowing where your stuff is, is at least to me essential to being able to effectively use a computer. It's one of the reasons why Linux confused the hell out of me. Like, penguin dude, where are my files?!
(i eventually found them, but it's not as easy as i am used to)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I agree with this theory, I type like an insane person using mostly my middle fingers, but I get 90 wpm
How old are you? Under 40? Those fingers are going to start hating you by your late 30s. Ask me how I know.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LimaBiker posted:

It's all fun and games u ?
ntil you filled up your system SSD by forgetting that you didn't change the default file save/download locations, and wanna move stuff over to a typically much bigger HDD.

Then you gotta dig around where Telegram saved its stuff, where your webbrowser has etc etc.

Same goes for making backups if you don't want to use the default 'put everything in onedrive!!!!1!' thing, forcing you to buy extra cloud hosting if you got more than a couple dozen GB of stuff.
Knowing where your stuff is, is at least to me essential to being able to effectively use a computer. It's one of the reasons why Linux confused the hell out of me. Like, penguin dude, where are my files?!
(i eventually found them, but it's not as easy as i am used to)
Phones and tablets and probably laptops come bundled with software to do all this for you, assuming you don't just store everything in THE CLOUD. Your life can be very convenient if you're happy to surrender everything for data mining. And if you've grown up in a world where that's just kinda standard, well, why wouldn't you?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Another big annoyance is accessing files made with 1 application, and then wanting to use them in another - if app 1's files are hidden away in app 1's special little folder on your device, nested 5 folders deep or something. How do you ever find those things, if they have some auto generated file name, and you have no clue how to browse folders? Windows Search sure as hell ain't gonna help you find it...

I was fighting with Adobe Audition recently, it didn't wanna record. Some peculiarity that's caused by my ESI sound card. Sometimes it works absolutely perfect for months on end, sometimes i gotta gently caress around with it, changing devices in the device manager of audition etc. Different kind of problem and absolutely a 'me' problem.

So instead i used the built in windows sound recorder, which always worked exactly the same as any other program until windows 10 arrived or whatever. I don't know, i haven't really used it since audacity and audition. Normally you'd hit Save (default), save as (prompt of where you want to save it). But no. Now it just dumps it ~somewhere~ and i had to actively look for where it dumped the files, for when i wanted to send a sound bite to someone via Telegram. Besides that, it also saves any recording you made that you don't even want to keep. Gotta manually delete all those false starts.
I could've used Telegram's build in 'voice message' thing but i wanted something higher quality.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cosmik Debris posted:

I'm honestly surprised at all the first shaking going on in here. I'm probably older or at least as old as all of you and none of my friends know jack poo poo about file systems and have had real jobs for decades.

The entire concept of a desktop was invented to abstract away file systems. We even call them files and folders so that people can think of it in terms they understand - files go in folders. They're actually "directories" thankyouverymuch. Well actually a file originally was a punch card file. But still. There's always been a great deal of dumbing down to get people to adopt computers, since the very beginning.

Mods please ban this sick filth

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

I wasn't brave enough to say it first, but me too, pretty much. I was more like 10, but had moved around a lot and never had typing taught at school until after it was too late for me to unlearn my way.

Now neurological bullshit has been lowering the accuracy of my technique. It's too late for me to learn the "right" way and it probably wouldn't help even if I could. I've thought about dictation but computers don't understand me and I can't not feel like a jackass talking to a machine.

I typed this on Gboard on my phone, which used to work great and was one of those little things that made me feel like I was living in the future, but has gotten way less accurate and seems much more weighted toward things it expects a normal person to type. I suspect the decline is thanks to :airquote:AI:airquote:.

Anyway, text entry. Getting shittier.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If you ask an average-ish Gen X / Millennial what a file system is, they'll stare blankly at you. However, if you give them a directory to browse to, ("Can you please navigate to C:\Program Files\THING"),

ms is taking that ability away . It is generally hard to do now

Everything is preferenced to the cloud

You can’t set up word it automatically save locally anymore !!!

My work laptops “desktop” space is actually a one drive space !!!

It makes it very hard to work with no internet connection (you can’t )

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm really deeply unsure where I sit on the People Dumb - Tech is Worse spectrum rn, as a millennial.

Cuz I finally got the new Windows update yesterday, which I realize was overdue, and I swear to god my wifi has just disappeared twice with a restart only solving it.

Like you gotta go into that scary menu concerning hardware and find the network adapter or some poo poo and still....nothin' :0

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

i hate this. and outlook used to prioritize and show your most recent local documents for email attachments but it doesn't anymore :argh:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i used to do this and stopped when i got a job as a programmer. i topped out at 90wpm hunt and pecking and now i'm around 105-110 on home row.

i still use my crazy self-taught hunt and peck style if i'm like on a laptop in a recliner or something

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I type 3-finger Scruggs style

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Time_pants posted:

It is, but mostly because it's an extremely common behavior of someone planning to kill themselves.

I'm more concerned because people get a horde and then up their dose little by little and get horribly addicted and never realize it until they're down to the last script their doctor filled. I've seen people do it and the doctors look out for it.
I'm probably not at a ton of risk that way but it was comforting to have an external gatekeeper to keep me honest with myself and it's not fun to have a junkie dungeon's treasure in your house either.

I guess the extra profits from having a JIT drug manufacturing supply chain that takes 3 years to bounce back from COVID is pretty important too. You know those profits go into the 401ks of little old ladies everywhere.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

euphronius posted:

The US Navy, an organization whose entire purpose for existence is the operation of warships capable of independent operations in a communications-denied environment, is in process of shifting its licenses to Office 365, which requires an internet connection to function.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think Amazon search is actually getting worse. I know that's a crazy thought given how they were leaders in the "getting shittier for no good reason" field with making their search results come back with fewer and fewer relevant things while pushing up garbage to the top of the results, but this is getting absurd.

Take a wild guess how many results I have to go through when I search for "[television show] blu ray" before I get to a blu ray disk of the television show I was looking for.

Eight to the first result that was actually something relevant to my search. 46 to the second one that actually matched which was the most recent blu ray release for the show, which you'd think would be the result you'd want at the top of the list.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They have a perverse incentive as they want you to scroll through more when you do a well targeted search.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I'm almost 40 and I don't know a single person who doesn't use PCs as a significant part of their job

One my hires flat out told me he was a field tech and didn't want to sit in front of a computer and for me to find someone else for that poo poo. Respect.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Microsoft cloud services had an issue yesterday which means that my office's teams and outlook were having intermittent issues. I hate this.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Basically if you see someone homerow typing you know they're not a poweruser or computer wizard because they waited to be taught how to type. Come at me

i think thats true. i tried home row after teaching myself (by the time i got to a typing class in high school) and found it incredibly weird and inefficient. anyway i used to be able to type 120wpm no problem :smuggo:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Office365 and OneDrive run off locally cached files. If you go online offline online it doesn't care. It'll sync it all back up whenever it can.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
For want of a PowerPoint, the ship was lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SettingSun posted:

Microsoft cloud services had an issue yesterday which means that my office's teams and outlook were having intermittent issues. I hate this.

Counterpoint, it was the most peaceful Friday I've ever seen