Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone know of any cool VR thing to do on a treadmill? Meta-native or PCVR are both fine. Have my treadmill set up as a walking desk and it's been great, been getting in lots of hours, but I was wondering if there might be anything fun for this in the VR spectrum, aside from watching movies, which is also cool. Something that more intentionally involves treadmill walking.

Just learned about UEVR 'Experiences'.. super detailed environments that aren't games but might be awesome to 'walk' around in :v:

If you're on the flatscreen2vr disco they're in the uevr section.. can link an invite if you can't find it but are already in the channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Just learned about UEVR 'Experiences'.. super detailed environments that aren't games but might be awesome to 'walk' around in :v:

If you're on the flatscreen2vr disco they're in the uevr section.. can link an invite if you can't find it but are already in the channel

Google Earth VR might be good too.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

KillHour posted:

Google Earth VR might be good too.

I quite enjoy going down to 100m or so places rendered in detail like Tokyo and Godzilla stomping around

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
Boneworks needs to add tracking for real melee weapons

Edit: and guns

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwLu82QLCw&t=3s
Digital stuff interacting with physical stuff in MR.

janky as gently caress right now but this is going to be insane in 3-5 years

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

This is how you murder someone, hide those rolling shelves at the top of the stairs so the user trips over them and dies lol

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Laughing at this headline/subheading

Pimax Crystal comes to steal the show as a budget-friendly VR headset

"Selling for half the price of Apple's VR headset and offering a great VR experience, Pimax indeed has necks turned with its Crystal VR headset."

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/pimax-crystal-vr-headset-apple

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Beastie posted:

Wow, Ocarina of Time 3DS looks loving sharp on Quest 3 with Citra.

Did you have to mess with the Citra settings much? I tried a few random games and they were all black screens except Pilotwings, but I couldn't get past the "sign your name on the touchpad" very beginning with an Xbox controller. I'll keep messing with it, it seems rad and pretty early yet.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, thought about that, would need maps with no dodging.

Did come across this, which apparently uses head bobbing to indicate forward movement, so treadmill, actual walking, walking place, etc. all work: https://store.steampowered.com/app/499400/The_Path_of_Greatest_Resistance/

Bonus: there's a treadmill mode, and you can make VR handles for the cart that match your RL treadmill handles. 4 bucks, that's pretty low risk, so we'll see.

You can turn off obstacles so you don't need to dodge those, and there's a handful of options to deal with peep shooting at you, you can make it so you're invincible no matter how many bullets you facetank to outright turning off getting shot at.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Sick game https://www.meta.com/experiences/5302178529865980/

It lets you move fast and punch fast without a lot of stuff being gated behind like, having a "stamina bar" or stuff like that, so it's more like Thrill of the Fight in that respect, but the game feels pretty tuned towards people who aren't used to the arm based locomotion, so if you move fast and punch hard it's pretty straightforward. A lot of fun though, I definitely recommend it

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

explosivo posted:

Being on a moving treadmill (a normal one, not, like, one of those VR treadmills) with a VR headset on feels like the most dangerous poo poo in the world to me unless you're walking unbelievably slow. Something like a stationary bike or even an elliptical I could see but I almost beef it walking on a treadmill without a headset all the time so I imagine in virtual reality it would be real dangerous or nausea inducing.

:same:

Squibbles posted:

Laughing at this headline/subheading

Pimax Crystal comes to steal the show as a budget-friendly VR headset

"Selling for half the price of Apple's VR headset and offering a great VR experience, Pimax indeed has necks turned with its Crystal VR headset."

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/pimax-crystal-vr-headset-apple

half the price*

*plus a desktop with a $1,000 GPU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MikeRabsitch posted:

Did you have to mess with the Citra settings much? I tried a few random games and they were all black screens except Pilotwings, but I couldn't get past the "sign your name on the touchpad" very beginning with an Xbox controller. I'll keep messing with it, it seems rad and pretty early yet.

I tried two games, OoT and Starfox 64. SF was a mess with like 3 fps and bad, I didn't feel like tweaking it, and OoT ran pretty great with no tweaks, some music/audio glitches in the cutscenes, but it played amazing.

I didn't really have much time to tweak on a work night but I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can play. I have Pocket Card Jockey and Luigi's Mansion as well.

Really hoping for LM to playable, it's perfect for the medium.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roadie posted:

:same:

half the price*

*plus a desktop with a $1,000 GPU

$1600 headset plus, let's say, a $1500-$2000 PC means you still get a desktop gaming PC good for years for the same price, if not a few hundred cheaper, as Apple's tech demo platform.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah nobody should buy a pimax, but it's somehow still a decidedly less dumb purchase than the apple thing at this moment in time

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

yeah nobody should buy a pimax, but it's somehow still a decidedly less dumb purchase than the apple thing at this moment in time

There was a period of time where Pimax was the best headset for the money and the best features at the same time, but they seriously lost the plot. They've been dangling wireless transmitters "any day now" for like 5 years, and the Crystal is a step backwards in FOV which was their strongest asset.

If Bigscreen could somehow get the Apple displays and give it Pimax FOV then that would be the true perfect headset.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Me and my wife haven’t touched Quest multiplayer stuff in a couple years beyond Rec Room. Anything fun released for two people (two headsets) that isn’t horror or gun shooters (bows are fine)?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Me and my wife haven’t touched Quest multiplayer stuff in a couple years beyond Rec Room. Anything fun released for two people (two headsets) that isn’t horror or gun shooters (bows are fine)?

Walkabout Mini Golf is the chill multiplayer GOAT imo

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Cosigning Walkabout. It's my most played VR game, a bunch of my friends roll out for every new DLC and play em.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

There was a period of time where Pimax was the best headset for the money and the best features at the same time, but they seriously lost the plot. They've been dangling wireless transmitters "any day now" for like 5 years, and the Crystal is a step backwards in FOV which was their strongest asset.

If Bigscreen could somehow get the Apple displays and give it Pimax FOV then that would be the true perfect headset.

When?

When exactly was this?

Every single headset they put out was a piece of poo poo in some way. They've all been heavy to a point that I swear the person designing them is a virtual boy fan and wants everyone to wear giant rear end headgear.

Pimax has always been poo poo. I don't know a single person who used one for more than the required time for resting or sponsorships. Like there was 1 dude who beat sabered in his, that was about it and anything else he did he wore a vive pro..

Not a pimax fan. not of the equipment, not of the people ive worked with from pimax.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

This is like saying "If you could shove a V12 and the interior of an S Class into a Miata and not change the weight or gas mileage or price, then it would be the true perfect car." The BSB has almost exactly the same pixel pitch as the Apple displays, which means the Apple displays are significantly larger in total (and thus much more expensive, since you can get fewer displays out of a silicon wafer, and a higher proportion of them are likely to be defective). To get a wider FOV, you need more complex and larger optics as well.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Koramei posted:

This is awesome!

Lemming posted:

This is how you murder someone, hide those rolling shelves at the top of the stairs so the user trips over them and dies lol

The idea of this is hilarious. Hack someone's headset and hide the staircase underneath some hardwood floor textures.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The only question is whether it will happen first on Black Mirror or in real life.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

If you like board/tabletop games, Demeo will probably be up your alley as the best AR/VR board game currently around (and the same company got a license to make a D&D game next, which will probably be in the same style).

Thoom posted:

The only question is whether it will happen first on Black Mirror or in real life.

Black Mirror first, but someone will get arrested after trying to crudely duplicate it to kill their ex-spouse.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That's a pisser Walkabout doesn't support the Quest 1 (we've got a Quest 1 and a Quest 2). I suppose I could get it on PC and try to stream it to the Q1 but I haven't tried that in ages and it used to be kinda janky. Our desktops don't have much room near them for just hooking up via cable.

I suppose this could be an excuse to buy a Q3. How big of an improvement is it over the old ones? I feel like my biggest complaint from the two we have is nothing to do with refresh rate or resolution, but just the awkwardness of peering through a little porthole into a giant thing strapped to your face (which aftermarket straps help but don't eliminate). Any improvement there? I can't tell by the fov/weight comparison if it's much different.

I have some Nreal XR glasses I've used a lot for playing on the Deck and I've been hoping someone would make a VR headset closer to that basic glasses formfactor with expanded blocking and some way to keep the heavier VR hardware off your head (maybe tethered to something you stick in your pocket or some such). Anything like that on the horizon at all?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Eleven table tennis is great, as always, if you have the space.

The new lenses on Q3 are pretty amazing if your issue is a lack of consistent edge-to-edge clarity. The AR is also neat for having normal conversations with the headset on and generally a useful gimmick.

The FOV is improved a bit I think but still pretty average compared to the super high-end stuff.

It does require more computer heft to stream PCVR due to the extra framerate and resolution, not hugely so but you want at least a 2080 or comparable, preferably newer.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 27, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wife got to try her Zenni inserts today. She’s totally blown away. Her eyes aren’t BAD, but they were definitely spoiling the view and so she got to go from Q2 un-corrected -> Q3 un-corrected -> Q3 corrected, it just keeps getting better.

She said even at the moment she started it up and had the Meta logo on display, she was like, “oh wow, that’s SHARP!” Looked around in golf and said the courses are even cooler looking. Instant success.

Thanks, thread!

e: vvv Ha, that's funny, because these came in yesterday, too.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 27, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Wife got to try her Zenni inserts today. She’s totally blown away. Her eyes aren’t BAD, but they were definitely spoiling the view and so she got to go from Q2 un-corrected -> Q3 un-corrected -> Q3 corrected, it just keeps getting better.

She said even at the moment she started it up and had the Meta logo on display, she was like, “oh wow, that’s SHARP!” Looked around in golf and said the courses are even cooler looking. Instant success.

Thanks, thread!

I just got my Zenni inserts yesterday, although I was using my glasses so the visual change wasn't that stark, the ability to set the headset closer to my face, the fact I don't have glasses fogging up, and that I'm not worried about scratching the lenses is great. I don't have inserts on my PSVR2 - just have rubber bumpers protecting the lenses but I'm glad I got them for this. So yeah, thanks thread!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm also looking for a coop (private 2 person no randos) game that's kinda like those Rec Room rpg/adventure rooms but a bit more elaborate and has a chill vibe rather than grim. I see a ton of RPG/roguelike stuff but any of it particularly good? Ideally something that has a bit of exercise in it too (lots of motion control poo poo I guess).

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

You can set Dungeon of Eternity to friends only and avoid randoms I think. I've enjoyed the game so far and they've dropped some updates with new enemies and weapons somewhat recently. They also put out a roadmap so you can see what future updates they are working on.

It's a solid coop hack and slash game with like 3 different mission types. I wouldn't call it grim but it isn't bright and cheery. Everything just looks like some mix of a castle, dungeon, or pyramid.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I sort of liked Dungeons of Eternity, but I'd appreciate a confused grandpa / confused grandma difficulty mode. Either that or it needs to be a lot clearer what you're agreeing to because we went for a green level and hoo boy we got wrecked :v:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

a confused grandpa / confused grandma difficulty mode

I want all games to rename their easy difficulty modes to confused grandpa/ma

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

FuzzySlippers posted:

That's a pisser Walkabout doesn't support the Quest 1 (we've got a Quest 1 and a Quest 2)

That's an awfully funny way of saying Meta stopped supporting quest 1. It has absolutely nothing to do with software developers.

You can absolutely play walkabout on quest 1, it just won't be the same version as any other platform, including Meta/Quests platforms.

Nothing to do with developer whatsoever. Meta discontinued their own product so you would buy their new product

Edit - VVV I mean $50 today is like $20 in the 90's and they didn't even have VR back then

Edit 2 - dope rear end bubbles avatar brooooooo

Shuka fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 27, 2024

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Someone's selling a used HTC Vive (the one from five years ago) for $50. I feel like this is a really good deal, especially if it's in as good a condition as he claims - he said he only used it for a few weeks before chucking it in a drawer and forgetting about it. It's a believable enough story because there's a lot of rich kids in this small country and having dad buy an $800 VR headset only to use it for two weeks before throwing it into a drawer pretty much lines up with the typical materialistic and lack of financial mindset people have here. Should I buy it or would it be a stupid purchase? I feel like for $50, it's a steal. Especially as it'll open up VR to me.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 27, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Shuka posted:

That's an awfully funny way of saying Meta stopped supporting quest 1. It has absolutely nothing to do with software developers.

You can absolutely play walkabout on quest 1, it just won't be the same version as any other platform, including Meta/Quests platforms.

Nothing to do with developer whatsoever. Meta discontinued their own product so you would buy their new product

Edit - VVV I mean $50 today is like $20 in the 90's and they didn't even have VR back then but also that headset is gonna be hosed

huh? I wasn't raging against the developer I just said it was a pisser I couldn't grab the game people were recommending. Other games on the store still say quest 1 supported so presumably that one in particular just required extra hardware juice.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

FuzzySlippers posted:

huh? I wasn't raging against the developer I just said it was a pisser I couldn't grab the game people were recommending. Other games on the store still say quest 1 supported so presumably that one in particular just required extra hardware juice.

Yeah and the way you said it was awfully funny

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Wtf is wrong with me

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Where the duck is my coffee

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Qubee posted:

Someone's selling a used HTC Vive (the one from five years ago) for $50. I feel like this is a really good deal, especially if it's in as good a condition as he claims - he said he only used it for a few weeks before chucking it in a drawer and forgetting about it. It's a believable enough story because there's a lot of rich kids in this small country and having dad buy an $800 VR headset only to use it for two weeks before throwing it into a drawer pretty much lines up with the typical materialistic and lack of financial mindset people have here. Should I buy it or would it be a stupid purchase? I feel like for $50, it's a steal. Especially as it'll open up VR to me.

If it's a full Vive Set with controllers and lighthouses, and not just the HMD on its own, absolutely grab it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's a full Vive Set with controllers and lighthouses, and not just the HMD on its own, absolutely grab it.

Figured as much, it comes with the controllers and lighthouses. I've told the kid multiple times to try and sell it for more, as I'm offering him bottom dollar. But he just replied with "It's just sitting in my drawer and wasting". I don't even think he's selling it for the money, I think he'd just prefer someone to actually use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Qubee posted:

Figured as much, it comes with the controllers and lighthouses. I've told the kid multiple times to try and sell it for more, as I'm offering him bottom dollar. But he just replied with "It's just sitting in my drawer and wasting". I don't even think he's selling it for the money, I think he'd just prefer someone to actually use it.

Vive wands admittedly aren't exactly the best controllers, and the Vive HMD's pretty long in the tooth now resolution-wise, but it's still a good VR setup to start with. Your main prize here is having a pair of lighthouses for dirt-cheap, as that gives you an ecosystem you can just use an Lighthouse headset down the line if you care to upgrade at some point (eg; Index, Vive Pro, Bigscreen Beyond, etc).

The important thing to actually check is if it has the soft strap, or the Deluxe Audio Strap. That is worth dropping money on if it doesn't come with it.