Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oni was pretty great and it was too bad they never got the networking to work well enough for PvP combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

beep by grandpa posted:

I just got ONI (edgelord bungie game from like 2002) working on my steam deck, the PC version. Its controls are awesome like Q to pick up guns, F to punch, C to kick, right-control (and ONLY right-control to interact with objects), F1 to go into your mission journal etc, etc. I have solved so many dozens of problems on my steam deck but for the life of me this is the second time now I have spent significant time doing this, I just cannot figure out how to create and save a controller layout and have it be available to use in another game (I need ONI's layout twice because of a fan patch and an un-fan patch ver I'm experimenting with). I just can't figure it out. I don't want to share it with the community, just me. It's really frustrating and I have several times lost my entire hosed up layout some of these old games require trying to export. Help :eng99:
You should be able to save the Steam Input configuration as a template which would then make it available for other games.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rolo posted:

Holy crap Tekken 8 at 60fps using FSR 2 balanced and the proton hotfix.

That’s crazy for a fighting game this pretty that’s only been out for 3 hours.

Was going to ask about Tekken 8 on Deck so curious for your ongoing thoughts. How's the overall experience? Is it a flat 60 for variable? Does it run super hot or loud? And how's the visual quality? We talking "N64 port" levels of blurriness and grease filters or does it look OK?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bumhead posted:

Was going to ask about Tekken 8 on Deck so curious for your ongoing thoughts. How's the overall experience? Is it a flat 60 for variable? Does it run super hot or loud? And how's the visual quality? We talking "N64 port" levels of blurriness and grease filters or does it look OK?

I tinkered with it last night and my OLED deck will run it practically locked at 60 with FSR 2 set to balanced, textures and AA set to medium and everything else set to low. There are minor dips into the high 50s during who-cares moments like fury attack cinematics and menu explosions.

I personally think it looks fantastic but my priority is definitely smoothness. Someone else might look at it and say ewww gross but it’s better looking than N64 ports (and Tekken 7 IMO.) temps peak at like 74 and I don’t really notice the fan, but again, OLED.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 26, 2024

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone try infinite wealth on the deck?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

RandolphCarter posted:

Only played the first 40 min or so on Deck but ran totally fine, just like the previous games in the series.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rolo posted:

I tinkered with it last night and my OLED deck will run it practically locked at 60 with FSR 2 set to balanced, textures and AA set to medium and everything else set to low. There are minor dips into the high 50s during who-cares moments like fury attack cinematics and menu explosions.

I personally think it looks fantastic but my priority is definitely smoothness. Someone else might look at it and say ewww gross but it’s better looking than N64 ports (and Tekken 7 IMO.) temps peak at like 74 and I don’t really notice the fan, but again, OLED.

Really appreciate the write up, thanks. I've got an OLED too so this has me leaning towards picking it up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bumhead posted:

Really appreciate the write up, thanks. I've got an OLED too so this has me leaning towards picking it up.

Playing some more this morning, I’d be very surprised if the graphics didn’t impress you. Especially considering it’s day 2 of being out.

Also make sure you use the proton hotfix for it until an update fixes a fatal error on loading.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

RandolphCarter posted:

Played for a couple hours and about to get back to it, no problems whatsoever.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rolo posted:

Holy crap Tekken 8 at 60fps using FSR 2 balanced and the proton hotfix.

That’s crazy for a fighting game this pretty that’s only been out for 3 hours.

I'm kinda curious about Tekken. I've enjoyed the series in the past, but I'm not really one to grind versus mode. What's the singleplayer experience like? I know Tekken usually has pretty good endings for their arcade modes and the like.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

Annath posted:

Has anyone played Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising? It looks cool, and apparently is a prequel to an upcoming game that looks like Suikoden?
everything is slow, the maps are boring, and most quests boil down to walking to a location and talking to an npc, often without even fighting anything along the way

it’s not good

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Metric Skeleton posted:

everything is slow, the maps are boring, and most quests boil down to walking to a location and talking to an npc, often without even fighting anything along the way

it’s not good

Wow, that's disappointing. I saw a few people were pretty excited for that game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had zero problems with Gaiden, so I didn’t expect any different with Infinite Wealth. Good to get confirmation. Gonna start it on my PC but I’m sure I’m gonna put a lot more time on Deck.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

King of Solomon posted:

Wow, that's disappointing. I saw a few people were pretty excited for that game.

Yeah, I was one of them :(

Maybe the sequel game, 100 Heroes, will be better?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
rising is not a good game but also all the ways it's a bad game are what you'd expect for like a game that only exists as a kickstarter stretch goal

i wrote about it at length in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047769&userid=167303#post537041575 but the tldr is you probably shouldn't waste time on it, but it did actually make me more interested in 100 Heroes since the writing is decent and the art/music were very good

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Well, I'm really interested in 100 Heroes, so I might give it a shot just to see how it sets up for the story.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

abraham linksys posted:

rising is not a good game but also all the ways it's a bad game are what you'd expect for like a game that only exists as a kickstarter stretch goal

i wrote about it at length in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047769&userid=167303#post537041575 but the tldr is you probably shouldn't waste time on it, but it did actually make me more interested in 100 Heroes since the writing is decent and the art/music were very good
the linked post is entirely correct

i got it for a few dollars in a sale (fanatical, maybe? i honestly can’t remember now) and played it while recovering from a pretty brutal surgery

it gave me something to focus on besides how much pain i was in, and also wasn’t so demanding that i couldn’t make consistent progress in it. i truly can’t recommend it outside of those exact conditions, it has charming presentation but is otherwise a very empty experience

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

King of Solomon posted:

I'm kinda curious about Tekken. I've enjoyed the series in the past, but I'm not really one to grind versus mode. What's the singleplayer experience like? I know Tekken usually has pretty good endings for their arcade modes and the like.

I don’t want to seem like I’m ignoring you but I have zero input on single player stuff, or public online for that matter.

Fighting games are for my close friends and I to wail on each other in private rooms.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rolo posted:

I don’t want to seem like I’m ignoring you but I have zero input on single player stuff, or public online for that matter.

Fighting games are for my close friends and I to wail on each other in private rooms.

Eh that's a pretty normal way to play fighting games. Hell, it's how I played Smash for the most part. Still, there are fighting games that have a decent amount of single player content and fighting games that have almost none, I'm just trying to figure out where Tekken lands. I'm interested in the game, but it might be a buy on sale deal

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

RandolphCarter posted:

The Besties covered the game this week, they said it ran great on Deck.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Stuck at the airport with a delay, seriously regretting not getting a nursing pillow

Orv
May 4, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Eh that's a pretty normal way to play fighting games. Hell, it's how I played Smash for the most part. Still, there are fighting games that have a decent amount of single player content and fighting games that have almost none, I'm just trying to figure out where Tekken lands. I'm interested in the game, but it might be a buy on sale deal

The SP content in Tekken is not massive; 4-ish hour story mode, 3-ish hour arcade quest mode which is essentially an extended tutorial with some practice opportunities, 5 fights with an ending cutscene character stories for all launch characters and the ability to play ghosts of friends and basically anyone should you crave getting your rear end shredded by pros or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

Stuck at the airport with a delay, seriously regretting not getting a nursing pillow

I will absolutely make fun of any goon that travels with their nursing pillow to play their deck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doubles as a pillow when sleeping on a plane.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
I need to stop buying games and play some of the ones I own. gently caress all the new stuff. Give me stale crust games. Now is their time. So far I remembered that Deadpool game that's been delisted exists. It works fantastic if you switch to windowed from fullscreen I'm happy to report. Another was Road Redemption the Road Rash inspired rogue like which seems like a perfect match for the deck. I'm also making my way through the Turbo edition of Guacamelee and hoping I don't get frustrated on the boss lady encounter again. Fill my deck full of old steam games I already own please.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

I will absolutely make fun of any goon that travels with their nursing pillow to play their deck.

I know, right?

You’re just supposed to prop it on your voluptuous, goony belly.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

MarcusSA posted:

It's just an EXTREMELY large neck pillow

PS you can use a neck pillow while traveling, it's like a travel-size nursing pillow

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Orv posted:

The SP content in Tekken is not massive; 4-ish hour story mode, 3-ish hour arcade quest mode which is essentially an extended tutorial with some practice opportunities, 5 fights with an ending cutscene character stories for all launch characters and the ability to play ghosts of friends and basically anyone should you crave getting your rear end shredded by pros or something.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I think I'll just wait for a sale.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Quite a few games do that and it’s annoying AF and wrong.

never tested it but couldn't you make the config write protect so it won't update?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Squiggle posted:

It's just an EXTREMELY largegoon-sized neck pillow

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
the other day I went to Gamestop and they tried to sell me on a Razer branded nursing pillow with LEDs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My kid is learning about the revolution so I thought I'd get Assassin's Creed III and apparently this is the one week a year every old Ubisoft game isn't 90% off

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

the other day I went to Gamestop and they tried to sell me on a Razer branded nursing pillow with LEDs

So how is it?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
After I used emudeck’s rom manager to add some game roms to my library, my OS got a little more… funky. Like if I move too fast between categories it snaps back to “great on deck”, and some more lagginess in general. Anybody else had this issue? The roms are on my sd card.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cyrano4747 posted:

I know, right?

You’re just supposed to prop it on your voluptuous, goony belly.

This is the kind of body positivity I need

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
gently caress yeah road redemption used to play the gently caress out of that with my roommates

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Has anyone tried Final Fantasy Renaissance on the Deck?

It seems pretty interesting, but it also seems like it'll get taken down just like the Link's Awakening Remaster did.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Annath posted:

Has anyone tried Final Fantasy Renaissance on the Deck?

It seems pretty interesting, but it also seems like it'll get taken down just like the Link's Awakening Remaster did.
I haven't done much with it, but I have gotten it to boot and messed around with it, it at least seems to work fine from my limited experience.

And this thing's been around for a couple of years now AFAIK, so I dunno if there's much if any risk of Squenix suddenly deciding to nuke it from orbit.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Sounds promising.

https://twitter.com/GloriousEggroll/status/1751210098456727817
https://twitter.com/GloriousEggroll/status/1751211049523503577

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't done much with it, but I have gotten it to boot and messed around with it, it at least seems to work fine from my limited experience.

And this thing's been around for a couple of years now AFAIK, so I dunno if there's much if any risk of Squenix suddenly deciding to nuke it from orbit.

I only found out about it because it got a writeup on GameRant like yesterday.

It will probably be fine if it's been around for years, but the more attention it gets the more risk there is.