Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Doltos posted:

What exactly makes a good author? Is it only when they deal with higher themes of thought or if their books are considered classics?

If the characters from their books look cool airbrushed on the side of a van, they're a good author

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Uses of “cyclopean” with gay subtext.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Antediluvian

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

If the characters from their books look cool airbrushed on the side of a van, they're a good author

Lord of the Rings contains the phrase "Eomer in the van" in a place or two, and here's my favorite LOTR fanart

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Noisome and rugose.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/isaacfeldberg/status/1750959945695031598?s=46

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ohhhh yeah baby, that was a top 3 movie for me last year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can't wait

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Super stoked after hearing praise from this thread. Sounds amazing.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Talk show horror picture? Could be a pip, could be a pip.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

loving finally!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Here's to hoping it hits a theater near me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Doltos posted:

What exactly makes a good author?

It's when the monster is grief.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just wrote 7 pages for my Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi-style mockumentary in less than an hour. If I keep this up for the next few days I'll easily get to my goal of 60-70 pages.

I already have a rough outline and a page full of notes from research in a separate file which makes it easier to just type furiously and worry about cleaning it up later.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 27, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've been writing a lot too it's sure hard to make something scary

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doltos posted:

I've been writing a lot too it's sure hard to make something scary

step 1: a thing
step 2: but evil!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In my research I genuinely found an old news article describing the building the mockumentary will hopefully be set in as "Cyclopean"

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

In my research I genuinely found an old news article describing the building the mockumentary will hopefully be set in as "Cyclopean"

Gonna be a good movie then.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I made something that scared me it would be about a person who everyone hates and then they get abducted by grey aliens and then thrown into a giant’s mouth, and he slowly digests in the stomach for an hour in a small cramped space

So I try to go okay what’s more fun scary bc no. Absolutely not

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"Cyclopean" this and "cyclopean" that; why don't you folks get some perspective!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Schwarzwald posted:

"Cyclopean" this and "cyclopean" that; why don't you folks get some perspective!

I tried, but it was all non-Euclidean. :-/

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shrecknet posted:

step 1: a thing
step 2: but evil!

Step 3: delete all exposition

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i dont need to know where the threat came from, but I do need to know what it wants, and it's rules.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang Suitable Flesh was pretty bad and boring. I was expecting something wild the way everyone was hyping it up as this horny bloody thriller but it was pretty vanilla and poorly written. It’s up there with Destroy All Neighbors in unmet expectations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Dang Suitable Flesh was pretty bad and boring. I was expecting something wild the way everyone was hyping it up as this horny bloody thriller but it was pretty vanilla and poorly written. It’s up there with Destroy All Neighbors in unmet expectations.

100% ish. I didn't greatly dislike SF, but I didn't find it that interesting.

DAN really stunk though. I skipped to the end halfway through when it revealed itself to be another person goes mad and ruins their life. I hate that story. I don't get the point of them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I liked the car camera scene. That was about it, really.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i could be wrong but I think Lynch likes using gimbals lot and often they have this weird wobbly look that annoys the hell out of me.

I hate gimbals.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

But the word “gimbal” is great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

yeah but it looks like rear end

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

If I made something that scared me it would be about a person who everyone hates and then they get abducted by grey aliens and then thrown into a giant’s mouth, and he slowly digests in the stomach for an hour in a small cramped space

So I try to go okay what’s more fun scary bc no. Absolutely not

...how many eyes does the giant have

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah but it started out as Latin geminus “twin” (like “gemini”), slowly morphed into Old French gemel, started meaning “hinge” (a thing that needs a matching pair) in Middle French, gets Norman Conquested into English where it grew a “b” (it happens) and also meant these weird matched ring hinge things that were popular 4-500 years ago. Then they needed a name for a weird interlocking ring device they’d just invented and voila, the word “gimbal”.

Also it’s really fun to say. Gimbal gimbal gimbal. Gimbal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doltos posted:

What exactly makes a good author? Is it only when they deal with higher themes of thought or if their books are considered classics?

How realistically they are able to imagine the process of butchering and cooking mythical creatures.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i too love dungeon meshi

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's Dungeon Meshi?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

i too love dungeon meshi

I'm enjoying the anime a lot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Art’s gotta new eyes for chrimuh

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“Evil will see itself, and itself dies”

What the gently caress?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Trying to recall, but does anyone remember a possibly Spanish language film that came out in the last couple of years that was about a late night panel type show about witches or demons and it was supposed to be a trigger for the end of the world or some prophecy being fulfilled for the end of the world. I remember waiting for it to leave the film fests and get an actual release, but then I forgot about it and it had a somewhat generic title that was maybe about the last night on Earth or something like that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

discworld is all I read posted:

Trying to recall, but does anyone remember a possibly Spanish language film that came out in the last couple of years that was about a late night panel type show about witches or demons and it was supposed to be a trigger for the end of the world or some prophecy being fulfilled for the end of the world. I remember waiting for it to leave the film fests and get an actual release, but then I forgot about it and it had a somewhat generic title that was maybe about the last night on Earth or something like that.

History of the Occult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
X is coming soon to Netflix if anyone hasn't seen it yet.